2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if they offer weekend interview dates throughout the whole cycle?

I think they do...not 100% positive.

Members don't see this ad.

does Loyola accept updates? and what are the chances for someone with 3.7 gpa, 26 mcat, masters degree, 3 publications in prestigious journals, and tons of ECs???

does Loyola accept updates? and what are the chances for someone with 3.7 gpa, 26 mcat, masters degree, 3 publications in prestigious journals, and tons of ECs???

37.9156684% chance. No more, no less.

:laugh: ... But seriously, every school has their own specific criteria for applicants. It's incredibly hard to predict if you'll get an II or not based on those limited stats. I myself have been rejected from schools where my GPA and MCAT are solidly above average, and even received an II when they're both below or as an OOS applicant. This process is highly variable.

Members don't see this ad :)
37.9156684% chance. No more, no less.

:laugh: ... But seriously, every school has their own specific criteria for applicants. It's incredibly hard to predict if you'll get an II or not based on those limited stats. I myself have been rejected from schools where my GPA and MCAT are solidly above average, and even received an II when they're both below or as an OOS applicant. This process is highly variable.
pachewisc...thanks...I wasn't asking for an exact percentage...I just meant based on people who have received interviews, have already been rejected/accepted etc., did anyone have anything to say about those stats. I understand it's variable...just looking for trends.

Does anyone know if they offer weekend interview dates throughout the whole cycle?

I interviewed on a weekend and I believe they only offer about 5-6 during the cycle. They do interview pretty much every weekday though, so if they call and ask you to schedule an interview, they are very flexible! They asked me which date worked for me and were accommodating.

pachewisc...thanks...I wasn't asking for an exact percentage...I just meant based on people who have received interviews, have already been rejected/accepted etc., did anyone have anything to say about those stats. I understand it's variable...just looking for trends.

The trend is most everyone has a chance, and your stats look to be in the range, though the MCAT worries me. Some schools place additional weight on non-traditional students and others on collegiate seniors. Some schools place a higher weight on GPA over MCAT and vice versa. Some schools will immediately reject you if you don't have enough research experience, while others does the same if you don't have enough clinical.

Where Loyola falls on this spectrum, your guess is as good as mine. Only suggestion I can make is to look back through this thread and last year's and examine the GPA, MCAT, and other experiences of people who have been accepted/held/rejected to get an idea of how you're lining up compared to them.

You were on hold, no? It seems like this year being on hold is definitely not as bad as it has been in previous years. Yay! :D

What's the general range of dates you were offered (if you don't mind sharing)??

Anyone know when the first day of school would be? I googled and saw they started really early August last year so probably the same this year?

Anyone know when the first day of school would be? I googled and saw they started really early August last year so probably the same this year?

Yea most schools start early august. Does anyone know how much WL movement to expect?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Not sure if next year's academic calendar has been finalized yet, but this year we started orientation on Mon. July 30th, and the first day of class was the following Monday (Aug. 6th).

Yea most schools start early august. Does anyone know how much WL movement to expect?

Honestly, it's hard to tell. In years past, a handful of students would be admitted off the WL, but I believe there's only one such student in the current crop of M1's.

They told me they didn't touch the WL last year. This year they're accepting about 30 less applicants than last year. So assuming they get the same number of "yes's" from accepted applicants, I would guess there will be <10 people that get accepted off of the WL. Keep in mind that most of the WL movement will be used to "balance out the class". This is because they shoot for 50% male and 50% female.

Does the fact that Loyola is Jesuit effect the environment, class, education, ability to perform procedures etc.?

Does anyone know if there is a place to get Stritch sweatshirts, etc? There is nothing in the LU bookstores or at the Med Center.

Last edited:
They told me they didn't touch the WL last year. This year they're accepting about 30 less applicants than last year. So assuming they get the same number of "yes's" from accepted applicants, I would guess there will be <10 people that get accepted off of the WL. Keep in mind that most of the WL movement will be used to "balance out the class". This is because they shoot for 50% male and 50% female.

Haha, they kind of dropped the ball on that last year. They overenrolled, and fully 60% of the class are guys. There's a nursing school right next door, though, so that definitely evens out the numbers.

Does the fact that Loyola is Jesuit effect the environment, class, education, ability to perform procedures etc.?

Loyola's Jesuit identity definitely affects the learning environment, but not in a way that limits your education.

First off, as part of our Patient-Centered Medicine course (basically our "how to be a doctor" class), we have a handful of lectures on medical ethics, and the Jesuit viewpoint is always mentioned. We also learn about spirituality as one component of human health. There is a chapel in the school, as well as a ministry office that sponsors myriad volunteer opportunities including international summer service trips. Oftentimes, school-wide functions such as the white coat ceremony will be opened with a brief convocation (prayer). And, of course, there are a lot of professed Catholics about, both among the student body and on the staff/faculty. Judging by the composition of our class, it would seem that people with a Catholic background or who attended Catholic colleges are favored in the admissions process, but this could just be a consequence of some self-selection among applicants. Or perhaps Catholic applicants are more apt to articulate ideas/values in their essays that resonate with the Jesuit mission. Whatever the case, though, there are people from of all faiths (or non-faiths) here, and you are neither required nor expected to embrace the Catholic faith or to attend religious services.

As mentioned, there are probably more Catholics on the faculty than at other schools, but there are also a boat-load of non-Catholics. Let's face it: we are, first and foremost, an institution of higher learning -- proselyting about religion is not on anyone's agenda.

As far procedures go, the only glaring example of a restriction that I can think of is on abortion, and if you're super keen on seeing one done, you are 100% free to rotate or shadow at one of the million other hospitals in the area.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. Jesuits are about as progressive as a religious order can be, and there are plenty of Catholic-affiliated institutions amongst the nation's top hospitals. I'm the furthest thing from a devout Catholic, and I love it here.

Does anyone know if there is a place to Stritch sweatshirts, etc? There is nothing in the LU bookstores or at the Med Center.

They actually should have a few different items in the University Hospital gift shop, and students will organize a mass order of custom clothing a few times a year. The fitness center lobby often has apparel sales, too, and while a lot of that stuff is just generic Loyola U apparel, there are some sweet items, particularly if you're into athletic wear.

Hey guys, I got accepted a while back and I think I am pretty set on going to Loyola now (and so excited). I was wondering if any one had started looking at housing and stuff already. If you're interested in a roommate message me privately! I'm a female looking for a two bedroom. message me for more details!

Any info on a Facebook group for accepted students?

Anyone know how we should send in our final transcripts? What address, and how we should go about it?

Anyone know how we should send in our final transcripts? What address, and how we should go about it?
I'm interested in this too. Also, has anyone received any kind of acceptance package? I've received the letter and mailed in the slip to hold my spot, but has Loyola sent out anything else as of yet? I heard we might be waiting until January to hear from them again, but just wanted to be sure....

I'm interested in this too. Also, has anyone received any kind of acceptance package? I've received the letter and mailed in the slip to hold my spot, but has Loyola sent out anything else as of yet? I heard we might be waiting until January to hear from them again, but just wanted to be sure....

I called them to be sure they got my acceptance slip.

Have you chosen?

Congrats!! To clarify, you were on hold (as in, your status was the "we have reviewed your file...") since October? Or were you under review since October?

Hey, sorry I just noticed your post. I had that "we reviewed your application..." message since October. Hope that helps.

Does loyola send a confirmation email when they receive your acceptance offer back in the mail? I sent it out about 10 days ago and getting nervous it got lost in the mail somewhere... Should I email them and make sure they got it?

Does loyola send a confirmation email when they receive your acceptance offer back in the mail? I sent it out about 10 days ago and getting nervous it got lost in the mail somewhere... Should I email them and make sure they got it?
No, they don't. Just call them. They'll confirm it.

Can someone explain something to me? Loyola lists housing/utilities/food on their CoA as $13, 750. Isn't that a bit low? How do people afford that in an apartment in Oak Park/Forest Park, or is everyone just getting roommates?

Withdrew post-review. Good luck everyone else!

How did you go about withdrawing? I am looking to do the same. I'm still on the pre-interview hold list, if that makes any difference in how I should withdraw.

Anyone else waiting to hear today from Stritch on a decision? I went to bed nervous and woke up a wreck as well....:scared:

They did say they we'd be notified today or that they are simply meeting?

They did say they we'd be notified today or that they are simply meeting?

They are meeting today, but they said we'd be notified by phone if it's an acceptance (if they have time to call after they meet). If they get out late, then all acceptance calls are placed tomorrow. If you do not get a call you are either wait-listed or denied. I was reading most acceptance calls came in after 6pm though it seemed...

Does the committee meet to decided on interview invites?
Also, are II's still being sent out? And for how long?

They are meeting today, but they said we'd be notified by phone if it's an acceptance (if they have time to call after they meet). If they get out late, then all acceptance calls are placed tomorrow. If you do not get a call you are either wait-listed or denied. I was reading most acceptance calls came in after 6pm though it seemed...

Wow, definitely nerve racking! :O

Does the committee meet to decided on interview invites?
Also, are II's still being sent out? And for how long?

I'm sure it's the committee who decides who to invite for an interview.
I believe interview invites are still being sent out. Interview invites are sent out as long as the school needs to fill spots I assume. However, I fear that the more the year progresses, the more we'll be interviewing for wait-listed spots...

...aaaand the panicking begins. Good luck everyone and congratz to those accepted 2night!:)

...aaaand the panicking begins. Good luck everyone and congratz to those accepted 2night!:)

definitely panicking. its 7:50 and still no call, hopefully the meeting went late and they will call later or tomorrow?

definitely panicking. its 7:50 and still no call, hopefully the meeting went late and they will call later or tomorrow?

in the same boat, forum's awfully quiet for acceptance day, just hope for the best.:thumbup:

Got the call at 6:45pm today! Accepted :)

Can someone explain something to me? Loyola lists housing/utilities/food on their CoA as $13, 750. Isn't that a bit low? How do people afford that in an apartment in Oak Park/Forest Park, or is everyone just getting roommates?

Trust me, it's plenty. I'd call it a beer and burgers budget, meaning you aren't eating Top Ramen like you are in college but you aren't eating steak every night? Know what I mean?

Also, are you calculating a budget with respect to the school year being 10 months? Those COA numbers are only based on the school year not the 12 month calendar year.

Hello future Stritchers!

A few M1s have made a facebook group for your class. Some of our class (and maybe some M2s) will stay in there for now to answer any questions you might have. Come join us! Congrats to those that are accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear from schools!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/561678707195593/

Let me know if you have any trouble accessing the group.

Hello future Stritchers!

A few M1s have made a facebook group for your class. Some of our class (and maybe some M2s) will stay in there for now to answer any questions you might have. Come join us! Congrats to those that are accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear from schools!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/561678707195593/

Let me know if you have any trouble accessing the group.

Awesome! Can't wait to see who's going to be in my class

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.