2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why Loyola isn't ranked in the us news rankings?

Members don't see this ad.

The rankings are big on research and Loyola isn't really a big research school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that they provide information to be ranked but this is a total guess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

This is my understanding as well. Schools that don't submit enough (or any, I suppose) information to US News aren't considered in their report.

I have no idea why schools don't submit the info, though.

They're not ranked in primary care either.

Via my student host who works closely with admissions (not direct quote):

Since it is a private institution, Loyola has chosen to withhold information (funding, money allocation, etc.) from the U.S. News, which keeps them from being ranked. He also mentioned that may change in the future, but for the time being that's why they're "unranked" in both.

For a different perspective on "how good" of a school they are, I'd suggest checking out their 2012 Match List (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=897848). Hopkins, Brigham & Women's (Harvard), Northwestern, UChicago, Barnes Jewish (WashU), UMich, UCSF, UC-Irvine, Mayo, Brown, Yale, and UCSD to name a handful. They're no slouch!

Hope that addressed your questions about ranking. :thumbup: :luck:

Thanks for the info guys. I know Loyola is a good school and that's why i thought it was odd that they weren't ranked - but I guess they don't want to disclose all of their info.

One more question, does anybody remember approximately how many people interview in a day? (how big the interview group is)

One more question, does anybody remember approximately how many people interview in a day? (how big the interview group is)

Depends. Are you interviewing on a weekday or Saturday? On a weekday they interview one or two, but on a Saturday it may be up to 20 or so.

Depends. Are you interviewing on a weekday or Saturday? On a weekday they interview one or two, but on a Saturday it may be up to 20 or so.

A Thursday. A school would interview only one or two people on a day?

I interviewed on a weekday and there were only 5 of us which I thought was really nice.

Its kinda cozy and you get a lot of one on one time with your tour guide so you get all your questions answered more easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, I am now keeping my fingers crossed for an II soon. I've interviewed at all of the Jesuit schools BUT Loyola, and I'm actually doing a master's here. Here's to hoping they give out some more this week!!

A Thursday. A school would interview only one or two people on a day?

That's what I heard because at least at first, they were allowing people to interview about every day. So it will definitely be a smaller group. 5 would be nice! Best of luck! I totally fell in love with this school after interviewing and will likely be matriculating if I don't get into my state school :)

Has anybody gotten an II after sending an in-the-area email? I'll be in Chicago around Feb 20 and was told by Loyola I'd hear back in two weeks about whether I'll be granted an interview. I haven't booked my flight yet because I'm waiting, but I don't want to wait until the day before either :-/

The rankings are big on research and Loyola isn't really a big research school.
A lot of schools aren't, but they're still ranked. Loyola simply chooses to not disclose all of their info.

They're no slouch on research either, and they are planning on building a new research facility that should be open in the next few years.

Ahh, I am now keeping my fingers crossed for an II soon. I've interviewed at all of the Jesuit schools BUT Loyola, and I'm actually doing a master's here. Here's to hoping they give out some more this week!!

Me too!! (Only to the fingers crossed part, not to the rest of it :laugh:)

I spoke with someone in admissions and she assured me that they're not done handing out ii's...she said most of the dates are in the end of February right now and they interview through March. Hopefully this is true!!

FINALLY under review after submitting the secondary in August and being marked complete in November.

+1 If we get an interview do you think it'll be for a waitlist spot? :/

No. They interview only a few candidates during the week (which I think someone explained already, ;) ). The adcom saves room for those interviewing later in the cycle. You'll be interviewing for a spot, just like anyone else. Good luck.

My file was "under review" for 2 months and now it's "currently being reviewed." I wonder what the difference is...

does anyone know how long the interview they goes for? when should I expect to be done by?

II woo! Excited about this school! Does anyone know if they still extend acceptances this late, or am I interviewing for waitlist?

+1 mine switched to "currently being reviewed as well." does this mean we might finally hear something back?

+1 mine switched to "currently being reviewed as well." does this mean we might finally hear something back?

Same with me, "currently being reviewed", lets hope for the best!

does anybody else's status say this:

Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in mid-April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail.

I'm wondering if they do silent rejections because it has said this since October! Good luck to everybody.

Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in mid-April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail.

I'm wondering if they do silent rejections because it has said this since October! Good luck to everybody.

Mine does! A friend of mine just go a rejection last week after having been in that status since August. So, it isn't over until it's over

Mine does! A friend of mine just go a rejection last week after having been in that status since August. So, it isn't over until it's over

Oooh really. Any idea if it was an email or snail mail rejection? DONT REJECT ME, LOYOLA

Just withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully it goes to one of you all!

I think that might be the "hold" status. Mine says my app is under review and if I'm granted an interview, I'll be contacted before march. It's been this since July.

"Mine does! A friend of mine just go a rejection last week after having been in that status since August. So, it isn't over until it's over"

aww man! well, here's hoping. loyola seems like an awesome school.

Your file has been reviewed by the committee on admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in mid-april. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail.

I'm wondering if they do silent rejections because it has said this since october! Good luck to everybody.

+1

Sent them am in the area email...got an invite this Friday afternoon for the week of Feb 20.... Not sure if it will workout, my boss is not a happy man, I've taken about 25 days off for interviews this past year :-/

Sent them am in the area email...got an invite this Friday afternoon for the week of Feb 20.... Not sure if it will workout, my boss is not a happy man, I've taken about 25 days off for interviews this past year :-/

Medical Student?

? Not sure what you mean? I am a future med student? I've been accepted already. My boss is not a med student?

? Not sure what you mean? I am a future med student? I've been accepted already. My boss is not a med student?

Hes referring to your status. Supposedly we don't change it until med school begins.

I figured he was, but I assume your designation is pretty much up to you. I joined after being accepted so just put it as is. Not really pre-med once you've been accepted. More like a transitional period at this point... Anyway I'm on a plane with wifi connectivity.... Nothing else to do but write this long pointless post lol

Has anybody gotten an II after sending an in-the-area email? I'll be in Chicago around Feb 20 and was told by Loyola I'd hear back in two weeks about whether I'll be granted an interview. I haven't booked my flight yet because I'm waiting, but I don't want to wait until the day before either :-/

no response after my "in the area" email

What was your status before you sent the "In the area email". I was thinking of sending one - but my application has already been reviewed.

I was on some type of pre-interview hold... something along these lines, as previously posted...."Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in mid-April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail."

I called a few weeks ago and was told that this meant that they would review my file at a later date, that they had already gone through it once.

This was my second time sending an in-the-area email.

I was on some type of pre-interview hold... something along these lines, as previously posted...."Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in mid-April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail."

I called a few weeks ago and was told that this meant that they would review my file at a later date, that they had already gone through it once.

This was my second time sending an in-the-area email.

Thanks , I will give it a shot.

LOL, that would be pretty funny...but don't make up the fact that you will be in the area if you're not, you never know they could catch on after reading the 399 in-the-area email.

LOL, that would be pretty funny...but don't make up the fact that you will be in the area if you're not, you never know they could catch on after reading the 399 in-the-area email.

hahaha sadly i will pretty much be in the area 3 more times this spring... for whatever reason in area emails never got me any interviews lumped together

hahaha sadly i will pretty much be in the area 3 more times this spring... for whatever reason in area emails never got me any interviews lumped together
I know med schools don't owe us anything, but really wish they were more receptive to in-the-area emails... it is quite a huge chunk of change to travel to and from places, considering transportation to and from airport and food and hotel if they don't have a student run program. Not to mention places that are remote and require you to fly into a tiny airport where they only have flights going to and from your location once a day and therefore are more expensive than usual. This is the first time an in-the-area email elicits a response. I've sent plenty this cycle. I'm glad they were able to provide me with a date.

Status
Not open for further replies.