2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys for the next to last prompt, did you write significantly less?

I found it hard to fill up even 15 lines, and I read up on some ethics and discussed both sides etc.

I had 22-25 for the first 3...
the what are you doing this year one?

Members don't see this ad.

the what are you doing this year one?

No, the patient with rare disease you have a research project that studies a novel experimental treatment but pt's parents are adamantly against the treatment one.

Received and Submitted this Dissertation of a secondary! And my ethics essay was just as long as my other ones...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about you guys, but I have applied to 15 schools and this is my longest secondary. I'm about half-way through right now...

I don't know about you guys, but I have applied to 15 schools and this is my longest secondary. I'm about half-way through right now...

I'm still working on some secondaries I got last week :( I got a little behind haha. My goal is to have them all in by August 1st.

No, the patient with rare disease you have a research project that studies a novel experimental treatment but pt's parents are adamantly against the treatment one.
oh yeah well the 25 lines is a max, not a goal. i'm sure if you've adequately covered the topic in whatever amount of lines you have, it's fine.

oh yeah well the 25 lines is a max, not a goal. i'm sure if you've adequately covered the topic in whatever amount of lines you have, it's fine.

Yeah, I took my PI's advice and answered it as concisely as possible. One of the few times I didn't listen to SDN :rolleyes:

All of my essays except the last one (bring us up to date blah blah blah) were 20-24 lines. My last one was 32.

Ethics essay was interesting and something I would expect during an interview, not a secondary.

I got the email for the secondary on Saturday morning but I accidentally deleted it somehow. Can anybody send the link?

Members don't see this ad :)
lmao i can copy paste responses from other schools for 4/5 of these essays

For the ethics question do we know if this patient is a minor or what he or she wants? I'm just confused why the patient's wishes are irrelevant. I'm not asking for anyone's essay idea, I'm just confused.

For the ethics question do we know if this patient is a minor or what he or she wants? I'm just confused why the patient's wishes are irrelevant. I'm not asking for anyone's essay idea, I'm just confused.

Must be a minor if the parent's wishes are relevant.

I wrote a paragraph of mine concerning if he was not a minor and his parents were just involved

I wrote a paragraph of mine concerning if he was not a minor and his parents were just involved
:confused: If he's not a minor then his parents don't matter.

I know that if I was in such a situation, my family would provide input which would matter to me. They are still involved even if he is not a minor

How are you guys counting 25 lines? 25 lines in word with 12 pt font? or on the secondary website

It's best not to assume anything. What if the disease resulted in the patient being comatose, and the parents had to make a decision? Keep it broad but concise, as weird as that sounds. I think they do this to discern how you think about the question, or to possibly see how much clinical knowledge you might possess at this stage. If the patient was a minor then they probably would've said that based on my previous statement. I'm happy I took a medical ethics class.

Last edited:
How are you guys counting 25 lines? 25 lines in word with 12 pt font? or on the secondary website

I typed my in Word first with Times New Roman 12 point and ended up with the exact same line breaks when pasting into the website, if that helps.

Still no secondary. :-/

I haven't gotten the email with the secondary yet either. I went to the site posted on this page and entered in my aamc id and it let me log in. My status says :We have received your application from AMCAS and we are currently screening your academic credentials. We will be sending additional information to you within the next few weeks.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to just do the secondary now or should I wait til I get the official invite to do the secondary via email?

Do you think it would be a bad idea to just do the secondary now or should I wait til I get the official invite to do the secondary via email?

Never submit one before you are officially invited to - in some cases they may throw out your application.

You're still ahead of the game.. many people are still waiting for their primaries to be processed so I'm sure you will be fine.

IMHO yes. Just work on the prompts and be ready when it comes.
good luck

Unfortunately you have to pay before you get access to the secondary. I don't want them to see that I paid before I even got officially invited, so it looks like I'm waiting.

edit: They aren't in the OP, but can anyone that has access post the secondary prompts?

Unfortunately you have to pay before you get access to the secondary. I don't want them to see that I paid before I even got officially invited, so it looks like I'm waiting.

edit: They aren't in the OP, but can anyone that has access post the secondary prompts?

See above... they've been posted already.

Never submit one before you are officially invited to - in some cases they may throw out your application.

You're still ahead of the game.. many people are still waiting for their primaries to be processed so I'm sure you will be fine.

+1. It's not worth the risk.

almost ready to submit this secondary off... which turned out to be a life novel.

Question for anyone who is at this stage, when you click 'print app' to preview it, all of my essays turn into blobs, even though I put two lines in between each paragraph like they asked - is anyone having the same issue? it's rather unsightly to just have blobs like that... or maybe that's just how it looks on the print preview, not sure...?

almost ready to submit this secondary off... which turned out to be a life novel.

Question for anyone who is at this stage, when you click 'print app' to preview it, all of my essays turn into blobs, even though I put two lines in between each paragraph like they asked - is anyone having the same issue? it's rather unsightly to just have blobs like that... or maybe that's just how it looks on the print preview, not sure...?
I found that by inserting the characters below in place of just pressing "return" will give me the desired newline character:

<br />

I am placed two of these between paragraphs and it gave me a double space.

I found that by inserting the characters below in place of just pressing "return" will give me the desired newline character:

<br />

I am placed two of these between paragraphs and it gave me a double space.
hahaha - sorry about the grammar. I had posted this on page 2 and just now failed to edit it successfully after copying and pasting.

hahaha - sorry about the grammar. I had posted this on page 2 and just now failed to edit it successfully after copying and pasting.

ohhh i see what you were saying. I did see that post earlier but didn't understand.. ok I will try that, but now I am also noticing that these characters: " and '

are not showing up either... and I need them to quote a couple things...

I just let my essays blob together.

ohhh i see what you were saying. I did see that post earlier but didn't understand.. ok I will try that, but now I am also noticing that these characters: " and '

are not showing up either... and I need them to quote a couple things...
hmmm.... I would try googling it. I think the language is HTML. My guess would be to try sequential double/single quotes (example: I said ""hello"" to Mr. Bean instead of I said "hello" to Mr. Bean).

If that doesn't work, you could try this:
double quote: &quot;
single quote:

I don't know for sure that either of those will work though but I googled newline character and guessed what language they used to write the page to figure out what might give me a newline character. I think something similar should work to figure out quotes and apostrophes. Hope that helps!

EDIT: SDN uses HTML - Go here for codes: http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

Last edited:
hmmm.... I would try googling it. I think the language is HTML. My guess would be to try sequential double/single quotes (example: I said ""hello"" to Mr. Bean instead of I said "hello" to Mr. Bean).

If that doesn't work, you could try this:
double quote: &quot;
single quote:

I don't know for sure that either of those will work though but I googled newline character and guessed what language they used to write the page to figure out what might give me a newline character. I think something similar should work to figure out quotes and apostrophes. Hope that helps!

EDIT: SDN uses HTML - Go here for codes: http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

Wow, thanks for being so helpful!!!!! Do you think it's weird to submit the secondary back within a day? Or do schools generally know that people pre-write essays?

Wow, thanks for being so helpful!!!!! Do you think it's weird to submit the secondary back within a day? Or do schools generally know that people pre-write essays?
I pre-wrote everything I could and have been returning them as quickly as possible because I think it might be more helpful to get it in quickly. I also think that if it's well written and they don't think you pre-wrote, it could impress them! Or that's what I'm hoping...

Good luck!

OK thanks! I think it's best to submit them right away as well since interview spots fill up so quickly!!! Good luck to you as well!

What do we write for question #6 if we graduated already and don't have any updates on our AMCAS app???

Status
Not open for further replies.