2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what they screen at, but last year I had a 29R (10/9/10), cGPA 3.49 and sGPA 3.34 and I got a secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

I received my secondary 2 days after being verified so I feel like they couldn't screen in that short of a time.

Just withdrew my app from Loyola (before submitting the secondary). I got interviews at a couple DO schools and I'm feeling good about those and think I'm going to focus more on DO since my stats are more competitive there.

Good luck to everyone who wants to go to Loyola!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my app from Loyola (before submitting the secondary). I got interviews at a couple DO schools and I'm feeling good about those and think I'm going to focus more on DO since my stats are more competitive there.

Good luck to everyone who wants to go to Loyola!

Good luck!

I'm still waiting on a secondary from here. Anyone else? I'll call in tomorrow to see what's up.

Same here. I submitted my AMCAS on 6/11 and I still haven't received this secondary.

Can you please let me know what they say when you call them?? Please!

were any one elses person of influence essays somewhat similar to the challenge essay? If so, any suggestions on this; obviously they're not entirely redundant but some of things learned are kind of similar.. Would this be ok? Thanks

Mine were two completely different situations. I won't steer you in the wrong directions by saying something I *think* is right because my opinion probably won't be right! :p

My essays were nothing more than sincere and personal accounts that have influenced my decisions to pursue the career path of a physician.

Does anyone have an e-mail address that would help me get in touch with someone in admissions? I have a <29 MCAT and I'm wondering if that's why I haven't received the secondary yet. Either way, I sort of want to know if I was screened out for sure. :scared:

Not sure what they screen at, but last year I had a 29R (10/9/10), cGPA 3.49 and sGPA 3.34 and I got a secondary.

3.1s/3.04c/33Q screened in this year.

Does anyone have an e-mail address that would help me get in touch with someone in admissions? I have a <29 MCAT and I'm wondering if that's why I haven't received the secondary yet. Either way, I sort of want to know if I was screened out for sure. :scared:

I also haven't got secondary yet! My stat is 32/4.0 and verified early in June...!

I also haven't got secondary yet! My stat is 32/4.0 and verified early in June...!

Haha, well they definitely wouldn't screen you out. That's weird though. I was also verified/submitted to them in June, but didn't get my MCAT scores back until a couple weeks ago. So who knows. Still, it's weird that you haven't gotten it yet either.

Haha, well they definitely wouldn't screen you out. That's weird though. I was also verified/submitted to them in June, but didn't get my MCAT scores back until a couple weeks ago. So who knows. Still, it's weird that you haven't gotten it yet either.

yeah.. it's hard to be patient hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
Double-spacing means one space in between (hit enter twice). When you double-space an entire paper, there is essentially one space in between lines. Don't call, just read and think...

Just wait for them to contact you. A secondary may be on it's way. I don't understand why everybody feels the need to call the admissions office because they haven't heard anything yet. It's only August 5th.

Double-spacing means one space in between (hit enter twice). When you double-space an entire paper, there is essentially one space in between lines. Don't call, just read and think...

That's how I interpreted it to... just wasn't sure why I had heard a different interpretation earlier and didn't want to be the guy to not follow directions :D

Thanks

Anyone have any insight on being a third time re-applicant? I know Loyola recommends against applying a third time, but was curious if anyone has any particular knowledge or insight...

Anyone have any insight on being a third time re-applicant? I know Loyola recommends against applying a third time, but was curious if anyone has any particular knowledge or insight...

Just out of curiosity how have you not gotten in yet?! Your stats and activities look pretty good. Have you been applying to only really top notch schools for 2 years?

Just out of curiosity how have you not gotten in yet?! Your stats and activities look pretty good. Have you been applying to only really top notch schools for 2 years?

Haha, I wish I could say it was my choices in schools... I'll make it brief (if you're more curious I can always send you a PM):

I first applied three years ago--7 schools, 2 interviews, 1 waitlist (at my state school). I spoke to the dean of admissions at the school regarding my application, and he said it was mostly that I had limited clinical experience. At that time, I had only shadowed two physicians and volunteered for four months on an oncology floor at a hospital. He said I should get more clinical experience and consider retaking my MCAT (31 was two points lower than the average matriculant there). Perhaps more significantly, he recommended I sit out a year to improve my application, since back-to-back applications really isn't enough time to improve an application significantly.

Of course, being young and restless, I didn't take his advice and applied the next year. Both schools that interviewed me rejected me pre-interview, and I didn't get any interviews until the end of the school (just one). I emailed the dean again and he basically said, "Well, you did these things [getting clinical experience], but not to the level we wanted to see."

The reality is that he was serious--a year isn't enough time, and if you're a re-applicant, you have a significantly lower chance unless you are really impressive.

It makes sense, but at the time I was pretty skeptical, and I've paid for it. HOWEVER, I've had a TON of incredible opportunities since then in a number of areas, and looking back I'm glad I was rejected--I wasn't ready then, and was pretty bitter, as many of my friends got in, and even some people I mentored on how to prepare for medical school (even people I personally TUTORED!). However, as time has passed I've realized how qualified many applicants are (including my friends and the people I mentored), and am happy they were accepted, because they are truly incredible people with great potential.

But I'm ready now, and more eager than ever to get started on my medical career. I'm incredibly grateful and happy to be where I am, and can only hope admissions committees see that and give me a shot.

:thumbup:

Does anyone here know how early Loyola typically starts sending out interview invites?

Haha, I wish I could say it was my choices in schools... I'll make it brief (if you're more curious I can always send you a PM):

I first applied three years ago--7 schools, 2 interviews, 1 waitlist (at my state school). I spoke to the dean of admissions at the school regarding my application, and he said it was mostly that I had limited clinical experience. At that time, I had only shadowed two physicians and volunteered for four months on an oncology floor at a hospital. He said I should get more clinical experience and consider retaking my MCAT (31 was two points lower than the average matriculant there). Perhaps more significantly, he recommended I sit out a year to improve my application, since back-to-back applications really isn't enough time to improve an application significantly.

Of course, being young and restless, I didn't take his advice and applied the next year. Both schools that interviewed me rejected me pre-interview, and I didn't get any interviews until the end of the school (just one). I emailed the dean again and he basically said, "Well, you did these things [getting clinical experience], but not to the level we wanted to see."

The reality is that he was serious--a year isn't enough time, and if you're a re-applicant, you have a significantly lower chance unless you are really impressive.

It makes sense, but at the time I was pretty skeptical, and I've paid for it. HOWEVER, I've had a TON of incredible opportunities since then in a number of areas, and looking back I'm glad I was rejected--I wasn't ready then, and was pretty bitter, as many of my friends got in, and even some people I mentored on how to prepare for medical school (even people I personally TUTORED!). However, as time has passed I've realized how qualified many applicants are (including my friends and the people I mentored), and am happy they were accepted, because they are truly incredible people with great potential.

But I'm ready now, and more eager than ever to get started on my medical career. I'm incredibly grateful and happy to be where I am, and can only hope admissions committees see that and give me a shot.

:thumbup: your story is so much like mine! Best of luck to ya this cycle!

If you don't get into medical school this cycle ... this is what is going to happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cqJG-fOoTM#t=00m08s

Hey guys quick question on how to interpret essay 2. It says "Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse background(s)." Does this mean actually working with them as in they are co workers/peers? Or would holding a week long seminar for minority high school students constitute as "working with individuals from diverse backgrounds." I would rather talk about this experience but I could go in either direction.

Hey guys quick question on how to interpret essay 2. It says "Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse background(s)." Does this mean actually working with them as in they are co workers/peers? Or would holding a week long seminar for minority high school students constitute as "working with individuals from diverse backgrounds." I would rather talk about this experience but I could go in either direction.
I think your experience would be a great thing to talk about and would definitely meet the criteria

For everyone who has not received the secondary. I called the office today and they said that they were still in the process of screening my application and I should hear something in the next week or two.

I was verified early by AMCAS and went out on the first AMCAS batch on 6/29.
I have a feeling I might be screened out. It has to be a holistic screen because my stats are not that far off Loyola's average. Might explain the difference between received and completed.

AMCAS Applications Received 9,846
Completed Applications 5,724
Applicants Interviewed 547
Acceptances Offered 365

So any word on how bad it looks to go over the recommended 25 lines? I like to talk..... Also, Is a "line" the same for everyone, regardless of screen resolution/browser? Mine is a bit shorter than one line in Microsoft Word.

my word counts are currently between 300-400... can anyone else comment on how many words their essays were? I have a feeling mine are a bit too long... They are around 25 lines in word. I heard its ok to go over, but it seem like I'm pushing it a little.

So any word on how bad it looks to go over the recommended 25 lines? I like to talk..... Also, Is a "line" the same for everyone, regardless of screen resolution/browser? Mine is a bit shorter than one line in Microsoft Word.

I found that writing in Word in Times New Roman in 11 font was pretty accurate with the line count once I pasted it over.

Hello again,

I still haven't received a secondary from Loyola. I have no idea why!!!

I guess I have decent GPA and MCAT. So I don't think it's the screening issue here. What do you guys think?? ... Should I email them now or should I wait for a couple of more days??

btw ... I submitted AMCAS on 6/11. So I don't think I am that late in the cycle either. :(

Okay so my status changed from the "under review" message, to a message saying that the committee had reviewed my application, that interviews ran through April, and that I would be notified by phone or email if I received an interview. I'm assuming this is their "on-hold" status? It kind of seems that way at least....:(

So I uploaded my photo and I got the "your photo has been successfully uploaded" message, but if I click on that upload photo link again it looks as if I haven't uploaded one yet. Is there nothing that says I've uploaded it? Sorry I know this is slightly neurotic but I don't want to mess this up!

EDIT: Nevermind! I found out you can look at it on the "print application part"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same status. I think it just means youve been reviewed. They say they ll contact you by phone and/or email so Im guessing they dont update your status online.

hmm that's a good point, especially since I guess it's still early....unfortunately I just went through a few pages of last year's thread and it looks like it might indeed be a "hold" status. I guess it's impossible to tell and we'll have to wait and see.

they haven't given out any II right? sorry too lazy this early in the mornign to look through the thread

I got my interview invite yesterday morning; they called by phone. Available dates starting in September

My status says "pending further review by our Committee on Admissions." I'm not sure what it said before this because I'm just looking for the first time, but I see that others originally had "under review" statuses.

Does this possibly mean "small pooling"?

For those still waiting for a secondary, I just received the Loyola secondary. My AMCAS was verified on June 27th.

My status says "pending further review by our Committee on Admissions." I'm not sure what it said before this because I'm just looking for the first time, but I see that others originally had "under review" statuses.

Does this possibly mean "small pooling"?

I have the same status...I think it's a hold but I'm not 100% sure :shrug:

My status is :
We have received your supplemental application. We ask that you please allow at least one month for downloading letters and completion of your file. Thank you.
But I just submitted yesterday.

My status is :
We have received your supplemental application. We ask that you please allow at least one month for downloading letters and completion of your file. Thank you.
But I just submitted yesterday.

I had that for ~1 weekish before my status changed to under review. My letters were already on AMCAS. no worries.

When did you all submit? I submitted 7/27 and I still have the please allow a month status. My letters have been on AMCAS for months.

Hey guys, just checking up on the thread and saw some questions, thought I would give some insight. Stritch is in Maywood, a suburb of Chicago. Most first year students live either in Oak Park or Forest Park, and most have cars (but a few don't). Transportation is pretty easy to and from the city.

Also, I know this is a stressful time. Try to remember the office of admissions is small and they individually look over each primary and secondary, so try not to get worked up if you don't hear back right away. They do a great job at selecting awesome students and because of that the review process is thorough and time consuming. Best of luck this cycle.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to PM me I'll do my best to get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.