2012-2013 Marshall University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

sure is quiet in here. anyone have secondary info?

Members don't see this ad :)
hehe this must be the most unknown school on SDN. ;)
I applied anyway since I reside in a neighboring state.

hehe this must be the most unknown school on SDN. ;)
I applied anyway since I reside in a neighboring state.

this school came up during one of my interviews. one of the people i talked with said their probationary state is pretty serious. i'm relaying fifth-hand information and don't care enough to double check the facts, but thought i'd mention it.

this school came up during one of my interviews. one of the people i talked with said their probationary state is pretty serious. i'm relaying fifth-hand information and don't care enough to double check the facts, but thought i'd mention it.

yea, they have all the documents published on their website... some were interesting violations, other "violations" were...well, let's just say that it isn't easy to get a "diverse" class to come to Huntington, WV for med school. :rolleyes:

yea, they have all the documents published on their website... some were interesting violations, other "violations" were...well, let's just say that it isn't easy to get a "diverse" class to come to Huntington, WV for med school. :rolleyes:

It wasn't the lack of diversity, but the lack of recruitment for diversity; case in point my letter encouraging application from the director of diversity. Even WV has a minority/underrepresented population. The lack of diversity training was another problem as well, even if WV had a lowminority population, many residencies programs are in some of the country's most diverse cities. Some training is necessary.

I'm from the west coast and have never been to WV. Can you please explain this to me. :) Ty.

I'm from the west coast and have never been to WV. Can you please explain this to me. :) Ty.

Sure... for example, an enormous amount of applicants are from the state of california. Typically, as a young, vibrant crowd they aspire to be professionals in a city such as Los Angeles...

Downtown-LA.jpg

or Seattle...

seattle-skyline-Main.jpg

Talking with people and simply being cognizant of others -- many, many applicants that A) are not from WV, B) not familiar with Appalachian culture, C) not appreciative of life in a small city, would not want to live in Huntington, WV.

vfiles28143.jpg

That said, if Harvard happened to be located in Huntington, I'm sure they would have a much easier time attracting students from around the country. However, Marshall is a largely unknown program (hell, my aunt is a practicing NP in WV and didn't even know Marshall had a med school). Their probation incident didn't exactly help them out either.

AH! I understand. Many people think small towns are a **** hole and in turn do not want to apply. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm from California, but I am from a small town. So I appreciate living in a small town where everybody knows your name and family. And people thought my town was a **** hole with a ton of cows, but cities like those feel like home to me.

AH! I understand. Many people think small towns are a **** hole and in turn do not want to apply. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm from California, but I am from a small town. So I appreciate living in a small town where everybody knows your name and family. And people thought my town was a **** hole with a ton of cows, but cities like those feel like home to me.

Yea... I guess it could be described like that. However, there aren't a ton of cows in Huntington. You may have to bring those with you.

i'm hopeful to get a secondary this week, i spoke with ms warren in admissions a couple weeks ago since i am oos, however, we are relocating to wv for my wife's employment and she indicated that if i could provide some sort of documentation to that effect, i would be considered.

crossing my fingers all goes as expected.

Are there any current students on here who can comment on Marshall?

Members don't see this ad :)
received secondary, looks to be the exact same as from previous years

I applied anyway since I reside in a neighboring state
samz1.jpg
d.jpg

Can someone please post the secondary prompt?

Can someone please post the secondary prompt?

1. Why did you decide to apply to the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine? If you have strong ties to West Virginia, please describe in detail.
2. If you are not presently attending school, indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school.

What are average stats for this school?

Do I have any chance?
GPA: 3.75 MCAT: 24P

goodluck to you all!

anyone have an interview scheduled or been on one yet?

scheduled for an interview in november. can anyone post up what the interview experience has been like for you? thanks in advance!

maybe i'm the only one applying this cycle? :D

If we are OOS, can we send in a letter of interest?? do they accept these?

Current JCESOM MS-1. If anyone has any questions about the application/interview process, the school/curriculum, or Huntington, I'd be happy to field them.

Current JCESOM MS-1. If anyone has any questions about the application/interview process, the school/curriculum, or Huntington, I'd be happy to field them.

tell me about the interview process: pretty laid back? whats the morale at the med school like right now with the lcme meeting coming up next month?

I submitted my secondary about a month or two ago and haven't heard anything since. I thought I may have gotten a reject when I received a letter from them via snail mail last week, but it was just an update on their probationary status. I have no West Virginia ties, but I'm from Appalachian Kentucky. Anyone else in this boat?

Just spoke to someone at the admissions office via email and they'll start reviewing OOS applications in Nov. FYI for those OOS. Show me some love WV!

Keep dreaming jjbodean. lol After finally getting back my MCAT re-take score, I just submitted my secondary. Hopefully I hear something about an II since I'm in-state.

good luck!

so being orm might be a boon for this school?

Last edited:
tell me about the interview process: pretty laid back? whats the morale at the med school like right now with the lcme meeting coming up next month?

Interview is low-key. You meet in Cindy Warren's (Assistant Dean for Admissions) office with (most likely) the other interviewee. You'll then have two separate, back-to-back interviews with one member of the admissions committee. As is fairly typical in my interview experience at other schools, they'll give you the spiel that they're there to get to know you and that they'll be acting as your "advocate to the ADCOM." After the second interview, you'll go back to Cindy's office where she'll give you and the other interviewee (two applicants are interviewed during the same block of time; you'll switch interviewers with the other applicant) an opportunity to ask questions. It's a fairly un-elaborate interview process.

As for morale, it seems good. The LCME matter seems to be a non-issue for current students. I haven't heard the subject discussed at all. There is, for all practical purposes, essentially a zero-chance of being dis-accredited, and probably just as importantly, it seems also to be a non-issue for residency programs. The last several years residency placements have been good, with a (growing) number of students matching into competitive residencies and/or well-known programs. In terms of applicants and matriculants, over the past five years, average MCAT scores of entering classes have increased every year--last year, it was near 30 (compare that ~25-26 in 2006). All of the new third years passed step 1 on their first attempt this past summer; average score (219) was just above the national average for domestic allopathic schools.

Interview is low-key. You meet in Cindy Warren's (Assistant Dean for Admissions) office with (most likely) the other interviewee. You'll then have two separate, back-to-back interviews with one member of the admissions committee. As is fairly typical in my interview experience at other schools, they'll give you the spiel that they're there to get to know you and that they'll be acting as your "advocate to the ADCOM." After the second interview, you'll go back to Cindy's office where she'll give you and the other interviewee (two applicants are interviewed during the same block of time; you'll switch interviewers with the other applicant) an opportunity to ask questions. It's a fairly un-elaborate interview process.

As for morale, it seems good. The LCME matter seems to be a non-issue for current students. I haven't heard the subject discussed at all. There is, for all practical purposes, essentially a zero-chance of being dis-accredited, and probably just as importantly, it seems also to be a non-issue for residency programs. The last several years residency placements have been good, with a (growing) number of students matching into competitive residencies and/or well-known programs. In terms of applicants and matriculants, over the past five years, average MCAT scores of entering classes have increased every year--last year, it was near 30 (compare that ~25-26 in 2006). All of the new third years passed step 1 on their first attempt this past summer; average score (219) was just above the national average for domestic allopathic schools.

thanks for the feedback. i'm personally not concerned about the lcme business, just curious about the mood on campus. i think theres no way marshall loses accreditation, and the verdict will be in after the meeting in november anyways, early enough to make an adjustment to my plans should the unforeseen occur.

Just received my interview invite today for Dec. 1st (unless something earlier opens up)!!

In-State
Secondary submitted 10/15
Complete 10/17
II 10/22

congrats!

In-State 27Q 3.2/3.5
Hope the low stats give more people hope :)

Btw, thanks, and I changed my interview to Nov 10th, so I get my chance sooner than later.

i'll see you there :D

Def gives me hope. My stats are similar but I am OOS so not sure if I will get the same love or not.

In-State 27Q 3.2/3.5
Hope the low stats give more people hope :)

Btw, thanks, and I changed my interview to Nov 10th, so I get my chance sooner than later.

I just got a letter in the mail describing their probationary status from them. Should I expect an interview from them? Are they prepping me?

30Q, 3.74sgpa, 3.70 cgpa

OOS

Are there any current students on here who can comment on Marshall?

I am a grad tell Cindy hello and give her a hug. You are right WV is not diverse. however Am currently working with an undeserved population in western us. We have had residents and students rotate. I can think of 3 in practice with the Indian Health. don't worry you will get a good education and be competitive with other students. I have worked with people from name schools and residencies and have not felt overwhelmed. As a matter of fact you may be better prepared for real life than those from the nae schools because you tend to be more practical and understanding. It is easy to get every scan in the world in NYC. but when someone has to drive an hour things change.

I applied with a 32L and 3.68/3.64, OOS from CA, strong ECs in research and clinical experience.

I notice that msar said latest mcat marshall will take is september 9, but my score is from september 11 this year.

Anyways, I have some family (aunts/uncles/cousins) actually just in Virginia, so that's why i applied here -- would that mean anything?

submitted secondaries a couple weeks ago for marshall -- will they consider me given that my mcat is from 9/11 date? would love to have a chance to go here.

Last edited:
seemed like a really good group that interviewed yesterday, good luck to all...

Honestly, I was really surprised that 16 people were being interviewed that day.

i was, too, but obviously if the school offers an interview, they will come! they could tell me to show at 2am on a sunday morning and i'd be there.

good luck to you, too!

Agreed. Overall, I really enjoyed the whole process and didn't mind the high amount of people. Everyone was so friendly! When do you think we'll hear back? I heard something about a Nov 27th committee meeting...not sure if that's true though?

apparently the adcom meets every 2 weeks, however, cindy warren indicated that the next scheduled meeting falls the week of thanksgiving, so it wont happen then. we're looking at them likely meeting first week of december, so i'm guessing mid-december at the earliest.

good luck!

apparently the adcom meets every 2 weeks, however, cindy warren indicated that the next scheduled meeting falls the week of thanksgiving, so it wont happen then. we're looking at them likely meeting first week of december, so i'm guessing mid-december at the earliest.

good luck!

At the end of the interview session, cindy and I were talking about this. On November 27, they will make a decision on our applications. Cindy, I believe, said that phone calls are the primary means of learning of our acceptance. She will be making the calls herself. We should know within a day or two of what happened. If we do not get a response, it would be ok to email her she said to figure what is going on. I know it feels like an eternity but, this is the way it is. Good luck everyone!

thanks for the clarification, i just assumed they would skip the thanksgiving week meeting and do the next scheduled one. glad to hear they will be doing it the following week instead of 2 weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.