2012-2013 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I am OOS and received my secondary today. Has anyone else? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS received secondary today. Submitted! Good luck everyone:luck:

KS resident but very strong ties to SC ... worth applying here with 3.77/3.60/33? Thanks!!

I'm out of state with no ties to the state, other than vacations to HHI, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston. I have strong stats and I've been sitting on the secondary for a while, but I don't want to throw money away. What should I do?

I'm out of state with no ties to the state, other than vacations to HHI, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston. I have strong stats and I've been sitting on the secondary for a while, but I don't want to throw money away. What should I do?

If you are worried about the price of the secondaries the $80,000+ a year in OOS tuition is probably going to be bothersome. MUSC is a great, underrated program in an amazing city. With strong stats you probably could get an interview without having close ties.

If you are worried about the price of the secondaries the $80,000+ a year in OOS tuition is probably going to be bothersome. MUSC is a great, underrated program in an amazing city. With strong stats you probably could get an interview without having close ties.

The price of the secondary doesn't really matter ($95 is another drop in the bucket when you look at the big picture), but I don't want to throw away good money that could go towards another secondary if I know that I won't get an interview. The OOS tuition is a killer. Nonetheless, I appreciate your comment since you've given me something to think about.

Anybody know about the approximate timeline on receiving secondaries? I am OOS applicant (not sure whether or not that makes a difference!), but I have received secondaries from several of the other schools I've applied to. I know every school is different, but I'm hoping that someone can provide some insight!!! Thanks!!!

Nevermind... Just received the secondary invite... Was verified about a week ago.

The price of the secondary doesn't really matter ($95 is another drop in the bucket when you look at the big picture), but I don't want to throw away good money that could go towards another secondary if I know that I won't get an interview. The OOS tuition is a killer. Nonetheless, I appreciate your comment since you've given me something to think about.

OOS tuition for the MD program at MUSC is $30,000 for M1, M2, and M4 and $35,000 for M3. There are, of course, fees to pay in addition to that. If you can control your room and board and other expense, it's not a bad deal.

http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/em/records/fees_12.html

yes, $30,000 per term. $60,000 per year for just tuition, not including fees, housing, living expenses, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, $30,000 per term. $60,000 per year for just tuition, not including fees, housing, living expenses, etc.

:(

Well darn. You're right. $60k for three years, $70k for one year. That's $250k, and that's just tuition.

Now I understand why so many people consider primary care but decide against it when the numbers just don't add up.

This. I applied, got interviewed, accepted, and dealt with MUSC's financial aid office for months. I wasn't blowing smoke up you know where, I know what tuition is for OOS. Still love the program though.

This. I applied, got interviewed, accepted, and dealt with MUSC's financial aid office for months. I wasn't blowing smoke up you know where, I know what tuition is for OOS. Still love the program though.

Do they grant IS status after the first year?

Also, do you know if USC does? That's what I've heard but I couldn't find it anywhere on their website.

Also, do you know if USC does? That's what I've heard but I couldn't find it anywhere on their website.

Yes, USC grants in state tuition after first year.

Whatever your status is when you enter MUSC as a first year is what you will be for the next 4 years (unfortunately). This is a fairly new policy that I thought all of SC schools were doing. However, I didn't apply to USC so I don't know anything about them. The only way to change your residency once you have started is by marrying someone who is a SC resident.

No love from MUSC?? Anyone?! Hoping to hear soon, one of my fave schools!

No love from MUSC?? Anyone?! Hoping to hear soon, one of my fave schools!

GL! I waited 3 weeks before they sent me a secondary...and when I opened it, I saw that you had to mail it in..so I called it quits.

MSTP interview invite this morning! super excited! GL everyone!

Does anyone have the secondary they can post for us please?

For any MSTP candidates out there...is there a separate secondary for the program or is it just the MD secondary?

Anyone having trouble submitting the online secondary form? It says I am missing 2 omissions before submission but don't see what they are talking about..

For any MSTP candidates out there...is there a separate secondary for the program or is it just the MD secondary?

I'm not entirely sure. I basically just got sent a link to the secondary and selected my program (MSTP), which took me to their application. I just had one long essay about why MUSC, why MD/PhD, research experiences and then the standard filling in information like pre-reqs, etc.

Any regular MD, non early decision invites yet? I know they won't start oos invites until october, but wondering if they've at least started IS invites.

Yep. I am IS, non early-decision, reg. MD, and I have my interview on the 21st. I think I got the II about a week and a half ago.

I am IS, no early decision, reg MD, and got an invite to interview two days ago. for the 21st. good luck

DO NOT apply! I am an MUSC employee applying to medical school. I've been to their admissions meetings and they say unless you have STRONG ties to the state, the likelihood is slim to none.

Question: Is the application on the MUSC website a part of the secondary application or is it something that should be submitted right after the AMCAS is submitted? I feel like I read two different things and that their application shouldn't be submitted until they receive the AMCAS.

Thanks!

Just finished interview Friday and find out about Early Decision acceptance on the 26th of August. Good luck to everyone.

Question: Is the application on the MUSC website a part of the secondary application or is it something that should be submitted right after the AMCAS is submitted? I feel like I read two different things and that their application shouldn't be submitted until they receive the AMCAS.

Thanks!

I believe when I did it, they sent me an email with my secondary application detailing what to fill out and where to fill out the forms. The app on their website is part of the secondary application.

What day were you complete and what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Any other MSTP interview invites out there?

Complete 8/9 (screened in for secondary on that same day... they have to receive all your letters first and then evaluate you to decide if they want to give you a secondary. My letter were in in 7/26)

Stats: GPA>3.8, MCAT>32 (but not crazy high like most MSTP applicants), I have A LOT of research, so I have a feeling that helped me.

Any regular MD, non early decision invites yet? I know they won't start oos invites until october, but wondering if they've at least started IS invites.

Yep, Im OOS trying to get consideration for strong ties.. Received II today!!

Did any RD applicants hear back recently? Acceptances are supposed to start coming out this week right?

OOS with close ties. II for December. :)

hey, how do you know we don't find out till October? I saw in last year's forum that they found out October 26th

They told us during the interview. They meet on the last Tuesday of every month and send out acceptances after that

ok cool...good luck to you! I hope we both get good news today!

Status
Not open for further replies.