2012-2013 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just got mine too!! Maybe we'll be classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted as well!! We need to make a class of 2017 fb page!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Friend got accepted here today. Sounds like they gave out the acceptance in one big group e-mail, so if you didn't hear with everyone else, you may be on hold for another committee meeting.

Yes, I got my acceptance "note" today. It was from someone on the admissions committee who said she just wanted to send out a batch email real quick, and official ones go in the mail tomorrow.

Im so glad! I was waitlisted by the other two SC schools and MUSC was my last real chance at getting in, and I did. super relieved. Now I can just focus on being a good doctor.

At interviews I was told that we would get an email today regardless of the outcome (accepted, rejected or wait listed).. I haven't gotten anything!

MUSC does not do a very good job explaining this, but if you do not receive an acceptance at the end of the month in which you interviewed...you automatically end up on the "hold" list (unless you get outright rejected). Even though the adcom says they review all applications, including the ones on hold, on the last Tuesday of every month, it is VERY unlikely you will make it off the "hold" list while interviews are still being conducted. Only after the acceptance deadline (last date for applicants who have been accepted to multiple schools to make their final decision - usually in May) has passed will MUSC then create an official waitlist from the enormous "hold" list that has been accumulating since the first interview cycle. The waitlist is further divided into thirds (you will be told which third you're in if you end up on the waitlist), and movement typically doesn't make it down past the 1st third.

This post is not meant to discourage anybody. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up about how long of a wait you have ahead of you if you have been placed on "hold," and to clarify how their "hold"/waitlist works. Good luck to those of you that have been put on "hold" and to those of you who have yet to be interviewed; congrats to those of you who have been accepted this year!

I just got my acceptance email!
Apparently my email address was entered wrong yesterday. IDK i didn't ask any questions

For all the OOS applicants waiting (of which I am one)...

I received an email this morning from Dr. Underwood (AdCom head) saying that the committee had no time yesterday to review some OOS applicant files. Therefore we will be considered at the next meeting on November 27th. This is not the same as a hold status, because I guess our files were not reviewed at all. Phew?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh wow!! Im OOS also.. so thats what the issue was. Wish I would have known that yesterday before I bit all my fingernails off

We should definitely make a facebook page! I'm excited to meet all of you!

I just got my acceptance email!
Apparently my email address was entered wrong yesterday. IDK i didn't ask any questions

I'd love to know if you have any advice for another OOSer with close ties interviewing next month...

Just interviewed on the second. MCAT 32 Q, GPA 3.72, In state student.

I was told by the dean of admissions that acceptances will be OFFICIALLY sent on November 28th, 2012 for the cycle of November.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back, and congratulations to everyone who has been accepted.

Good luck everyone who has yet to interview and anyone waiting for an acceptance.

I am IS, no early decision, reg MD, and got an invite to interview two days ago. for the 21st. good luck

Did you receive a ''complete'' email after submitting everything? I'm an IS student and everything was submitted by November 2nd, and LOR have been received as well. Should I call to see what's going on? I've yet to have any ''Comments'' when I check the status of my app.

In-state students, how long between submitting the secondary and an II? I have strong stats for an IS applicant.

Got my MSTP interview invite on Tuesday! Super excited since its my first one.

I'm an OOSer btw..

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back on Wednesday!

Judging by the thread, I guess it wasn't any of you all but I saw some of your potential classmates here on their interviews today. Are you sure that you're ready for this? :scared: Good luck with the interviews!

:laugh:

DO NOT apply! I am an MUSC employee applying to medical school. I've been to their admissions meetings and they say unless you have STRONG ties to the state, the likelihood is slim to none.

Is this really true?

And why aren't there any essays on this secondary?

Accepted today!! Never thought I would have to make a decision this time around!

Accepted.

3.72 GPA, 32 MCAT, IS student. Good luck to everyone and can't wait to meet the class of 2017.

Cheers.

Interviewed here this past Friday. It was an amazing experience. I love Charleston, of course, but I was very impressed with MUSC. Cannot wait for the 19th!!!

Interviewed here this past Friday. It was an amazing experience. I love Charleston, of course, but I was very impressed with MUSC. Cannot wait for the 19th!!!

Did you interview the 7th or the 30th?

II for 1/4/13. Really excited because I lovvveee Charleston.

Has anyone else had an "outside" interview? How was it? I hadn't heard of this facet of the interview process before.

The "outside" interview is generally done by an MUSC alumnus/practicing physician in your area. This is done primarily for IS students, since there is no guarantee that an MUSC alumnus is in your area if you're OOS. If you are OOS or are IS and are living outside of SC, they will simply schedule all three of your interviews on your interview day. From what I understand, the outside interview is just a general review of the applicant and is a pretty friendly conversation..

I interviewed on the 30th... A great experience, for sure.

Same :) But I was there on the 7th.
I'm curious: do you happen to know when they will let us know the decision? Or if they'll let me know after you? I didn't think to ask what their schedule was like around the holidays...

Same :) But I was there on the 7th.
I'm curious: do you happen to know when they will let us know the decision? Or if they'll let me know after you? I didn't think to ask what their schedule was like around the holidays...

From what I understood at the interview Mrs. Wanda Taylor, the admissions committee is meeting on the 18th of December, and decisions will be sent out on the 19th via email. They normally meet on the last Tuesday of every month, but the holidays are messing with that routine. Hope that helps!!!

From what I understood at the interview Mrs. Wanda Taylor, the admissions committee is meeting on the 18th of December, and decisions will be sent out on the 19th via email. They normally meet on the last Tuesday of every month, but the holidays are messing with that routine. Hope that helps!!!

Thanks a bunch :) Good luck.

I received email acceptance this afternoon 12/19!

I interviewed on 10/5 and was placed on hold instead of receiving an initial acceptance, so this was an unexpected surprise.

So excited about MUSC!!! Class of 2017

Also received my acceptance today 12/19. I interviewed on 11/30. Can't wait to meet all my future classmates!

Got my first acceptance here today!!! So excited!!! MUSC is definitely near the top of the list for me!!!

FINALLY got my residency petition approved! Worried about how late in the cycle I am now, but excited to hopefully hear back early in the new year about an interview.

GL to everyone and congrats to those already accepted!

Any advice for upcoming interviewees? I interview here on Friday.

Any advice for upcoming interviewees? I interview here on Friday.

Just relax and be yourself. I know that everyone says that, but that is because it is true. Know your application because that is what they will ask you about. I had three interviews, which is typical. If you are from South Carolina, you probably have already had your outside interview with an MUSC affiliated physician. If not, you will have all three on the same day. Just have a response in mind for the typical questions... why medicine? Why MUSC? Most of mine were not even that formal. The atmosphere is very relaxed, because they want to get the best out of you, and high stress interviews won't necessarily reflect your best. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!!!

Just received my admissions offer today!!

According to what I was told on our interview day..Committee meets for the last time on March 12th. Final set of decisions for February/March interviews go out on March 13th.

Has anyone received a letter/ phone call about scholarships yet? I heard that applicants will be notified about the big scholarships around mid-February.

Has anyone received a letter/ phone call about scholarships yet? I heard that applicants will be notified about the big scholarships around mid-February.

I'm interested in this as well. Still waiting to make a decision until I hear what kind of scholarships, if any, MUSC can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.