2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What address did you guys use to send the check/fee waiver? There's no address number given. They say to send it to:

New York Medical College
Office of Admissions
Valhalla, NY 10595

Is that the right address?

Check the secondary instructions.

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Is it me, or is the only thing you have to fill out for the secondary the committee letter information (letter of evaluations)?

The secondary took less than 5 minutes... Verify... put in school... pay. I feel like I am missing something lol

Not to mention, submitted my primary sunday around midnight (7/29) and got their secondary 8/3... Within a week

Members don't see this ad :)
Xtine2012, credit hours is just another way of saying credits. A 4 credit course = 4 credit hours.

I got my masters done and they want a graduate faculty writing a recommendation letter. I thought my premedical advisory committee from undergraduate handled the LORs. I am sure they used my advisor's LOR so should I put her name in the graduate evaluation or just use premedical advisory committee from my undergraduate college. Any suggestions who have gone through it?

Is it me, or is the only thing you have to fill out for the secondary the committee letter information (letter of evaluations)?

The secondary took less than 5 minutes... Verify... put in school... pay. I feel like I am missing something lol

Not to mention, submitted my primary sunday around midnight (7/29) and got their secondary 8/3... Within a week

You are missing nothing. It's glorious. All secondaries should be like this.

My school does a letter packet that includes all letters written
Does this count as a committee or do i list the 3 professors?

I don't have a non-science.. All other schools have been taking my employer letter, but I can't fill in all the spots on this secondary :(

I don't have a non-science.. All other schools have been taking my employer letter, but I can't fill in all the spots on this secondary :(

are you non-trad? they'll take other letters and you can just put NA for the irrelevant fields and 0 for the credit hours. (thats what I ended up doing with my employer letter--put it in the non-science spot)

if you aren't non-trad....idk they seem pretty strict/uptight about the letter requirements, you may have to call

I'm a little concerned here. My major only had one or two classes that were specifically theirs, the rest of the courses were from a variety of different departments... None of my letters of rec are specifically from my major department because I only took 1 class from it in my Freshman year. For the requirement :

One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science.

Am I unable to submit my application then? My two science professor letters are both from required classes for graduation with my major but they are not professors in my major department... A little bumbed because I'm not sure why they would have this requirement...

Also, I received this application before I was verified by AMCAS? Am I the only one?

Members don't see this ad :)
finished the secondary just now and was freaking out...the thread helped clear up all of my questions. thanks guys and good luck!

Are you allowed to submit this secondary before your mcat scores arrive?
Also did anyone NOT get a confirmation once you submitted this secondary? My friend didn't.

And do you have to qualify for the fee waiver, or do you just ask for it?
Thank you

Are you allowed to submit this secondary before your mcat scores arrive?
Also did anyone NOT get a confirmation once you submitted this secondary? My friend didn't.

And do you have to qualify for the fee waiver, or do you just ask for it?
Thank you

1) Yes
2) Nobody got one
3) Gotta qualify

are you non-trad? they'll take other letters and you can just put NA for the irrelevant fields and 0 for the credit hours. (thats what I ended up doing with my employer letter--put it in the non-science spot)

if you aren't non-trad....idk they seem pretty strict/uptight about the letter requirements, you may have to call

Oh I didn't even think about that. I am a non-trad. Thanks!

What about the required letter from your major department? All of my LORs are from post-bacc professors, not UG.

If you're non trad it seems like all those little requirements are waived. Just try to do your best to give them as much info as you can for your letters. Don't sweat the major-letter business :)

One of the few schools who send secondaries pre-verification. :)

So it says my application fee has been received, but the charge hasn't shown up on my credit card statement...everything else always shows up instantly...

Anybody else having this problem?

For the people who are complete: what does it look like in the secondary application when you're complete? I'm having a hard time figuring out if they have all my stuff or not. :confused:

From their email:

Go to: http://www.nymc.edu; click on School of Medicine; click on Admissions; click on Secondary Application; choose Check Application Status.

I'm not complete yet but I'm assuming my letters will show up on the status page when NYMC downloads them

Can someone clear this up for me: On the forth (4/5) page of the secondary it asks me to input a graduate evaluator for letters of recommendation. On the third page I put down the name of the university providing my committee letter, however I cant get past the 4th page without submitting a graduate evaluator. I have done graduate level work but it was combined with my undergraduate work (it was a major that required both), so I do not have any letters of recommendation from my graduate school classes. The only one i can think of is being included with my committee letter and thus cannot be listed separately. Anyone with a similar problem? :confused:

Also I called today at 3:50pm and got a message saying that the admissions office is now closed and I should call back the next business day from 8am to 4pm. Whoops, forgot 3:50 comes after 4 :laugh:

Last edited:
The status page will say:

Your Secondary Application was completed on 08/XX/2012 and is currently under review. **

Cool, thanks. Has anyone else who got the secondary last Friday been marked complete? I'm nervous that I screwed up or something because this secondary was a little weird, and they haven't updated my status. :scared:

Received, paid and submitted last Friday too. Status page says they received fee but has not been updated to say "complete" or "letters received" so in the same boat.

Last edited:
cool, thanks. Has anyone else who got the secondary last friday been marked complete? I'm nervous that i screwed up or something because this secondary was a little weird, and they haven't updated my status. :scared:

+1 -- i haven't been marked as complete either.

Received, paid and submitted last Friday. Status page says they received fee but has not been updated to say "complete" or "letters received" so in the same boat.

me too

My status page says:
"Your verified AMCAS application was received.
A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 08/XX/2012.
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 08/XX/2012."

Does this mean they didn't receive my secondary app? I am so confused

hum not sure about you guys.. i submitted 8/3 was complete 8/6. no email. also the status website is very confusing

My status page says:
A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 08/XX/2012.

I have this same status, and am also unsure of what it means. Any thoughts?

My status page says:

Mine says the same thing, but when I try to access the application it says that I've already completed the application on so-and-so date. So, I'm going to go ahead and assume that they've received my app.

Yo Goobs did they ever get back to you? I am exactly in the same boat as you

I emailed them 5 days ago and don't have anything. The fee still hasn't shown up on my credit card, even though I printed out the receipt and it clearly says I paid. Don't know what's up.

I emailed them 5 days ago and don't have anything. The fee still hasn't shown up on my credit card, even though I printed out the receipt and it clearly says I paid. Don't know what's up.

I find calling to be much more effective. They're probably getting a hundred e-mails a day; just give them a call during office hours and get right to the point.

I find calling to be much more effective. They're probably getting a hundred e-mails a day; just give them a call during office hours and get right to the point.

But that requires me to get up and grab my phone...;)

Not impressed by the number of typos on that status page...

In their defense it seems like you all may be experiencing a new status page. I don't know what it looks like but it sounds different from past years. Hopefully they fix this.

Your Secondary Application was completed on 08/07/2012 and is currently under review.

My status page says:

How long did it take for your fee waiver to be processed? Did you have to email/phone them about it?

Your Secondary Application was completed on 08/07/2012 and is currently under review.

Nice! When did you submit your application??

Mine still says that they haven't received my letters! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.