2012 - 2013 Official Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone!

I just joined SDN! I'm so glad that members here are all out to help each other through the grilling application waiting process! I'm so glad to have accidentally "bumped" into your website! :xf: :laugh:

Since I'm a new member, could someone explain what POI means under the interview discussion section? :p

Thanks all!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Since I'm a new member, could someone explain what POI means under the interview discussion section? :p

Thanks all!!!

POI = Professor of Interest (i.e. the professor who you want to do research with at the program you're applying to).

School Name: Michigan State University
Degree: PhD
Type: School
Date Interview Invite Received: Dec 14
How were you notified: Email
Interview Date: Feb 1

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope everyone is having a great Monday (I'm dreadfully sick).

I received an invite to interview at UW Madison today for school psychology via email.
The email was sent by the admissions coordinator. Interview is on January 25th with a social event the evening of the interview.

Hi Everyone,

I'm an applicant for the joint SDSU/UCSD doctoral program in clinical psychology.
I just got an invite from SDSU to join a live chat with admissions this Thursday 12/20. I think this chat is geared primarily for international students (which I am). Is this just an informative chat or does the admission committee keep a keen eye on applicants (e.g. how an applicant converses, does he/she appear to be asking smart questions etc.)?

Thanks!!

School Name: Texas Tech University
Type: Clinical
Date Interview Invite Received: Dec 17
How were you notified: Email from DCT
Interview Date: Feb 8

School Name: Louisiana State University (LSU)
Date Interview Invite Received: Dec 17
How were you notified: Email from POI
Interview Date: Feb 15

Hi Everyone,

I'm an applicant for the joint SDSU/UCSD doctoral program in clinical psychology.
I just got an invite from SDSU to join a live chat with admissions this Thursday 12/20. I think this chat is geared primarily for international students (which I am). Is this just an informative chat or does the admission committee keep a keen eye on applicants (e.g. how an applicant converses, does he/she appear to be asking smart questions etc.)?

Thanks!!

I'm in the same boat- International student who got that email invite. My hunch is that it is geared towards recruiting International Students and not specific to the JDP. However, I could be wrong. It also mentioned logging in through facebook or Twitter. This is sort of scary because on the website for the JDP they mention they can use social media to make decisions about applicants!

It also mentioned logging in through facebook or Twitter. This is sort of scary because on the website for the JDP they mention they can use social media to make decisions about applicants!

Thanks for the response! :) You don't have to go through your Facebook or Twitter if you don't want to. SDSU also give us the option of setting up an account with Envolve, for which we'd just need to provide an e-mail address. I'm choosing this option since I don't have FB :laugh:

Good luck to you!!

Is it typical for interview invites to come later for PsyDs and less research heavy institutions? I know that seems like a weird question but just a pattern that seems to be emerging now, and I also remember many people saying they didn't hear until January...

Is it typical for interview invites to come later for PsyDs and less research heavy institutions? I know that seems like a weird question but just a pattern that seems to be emerging now, and I also remember many people saying they didn't hear until January...

You could check out last year's thread. It also seems like there are generally more people on this board who are applying to research focused programs, so that may influence what is posted here.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can look when certain programs/schools have notified applicants here

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=clinical+psychology

I applied to research-focused programs and have been offered an interview this early. However, if you check the link above, usually invitations for interviews are not delivered mostly until early january to as late as February.

Some programs are more streamlined in their process and send out notifications for interviews or admission offers at the same time. Other labs/profs might, however, send out their offers as early as possible to their top candidates to secure access to a good candidate early in the game AND to have more time in planning a stressful weekend/interview date.

No need to get nervous at this point. Some decisions are not being made until April 15th.

Sit back, enjoy your time off not doing any application related work and enjoy the holidays with friends or family. (I know, easier said than done!)

Good :luck::luck::luck:

I know of at least 1 PsyD program that does not contact people until January, so you may be right. No guarantees, but my guess is (because those programs tend to take considerably more applicants than a PhD program) that you will at least get an interview invite. If you are a mature student and your scores/transcripts are not horrendous, I think you have a pretty good shot. Dress well, and come prepared to answer some questions with confidence. You should do fine. Good luck :)

Received an invite (post Skype interview) to the on-site interview on Jan. 11th. This is for the school emphasis. Very excited to meet my POIs in person!!

Received an invite (post Skype interview) to the on-site interview on Jan. 11th. This is for the school emphasis. Very excited to meet my POIs in person!!

Should probably mention that this was for UC Santa Barbara's school emphasis. So sorry!

This thread is seriously killing me slowly inside.

This thread is seriously killing me slowly inside.

Oh my god, me too...

I take it that no one has heard anything yet from Oklahoma State University? :eek:

I guess I'll take the silence as a good thing...

(Looks like they send out interview invites right around this time of the year, at least historically!)

Oh my god, me too...

I take it that no one has heard anything yet from Oklahoma State University? :eek:

I guess I'll take the silence as a good thing...

(Looks like they send out interview invites right around this time of the year, at least historically!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessively waiting to hear back from Oklahoma State. It really should be any time now...

I also got an interview invite from Marquette Counseling Psychology PhD yesterday. Same info as on the first page.

Has anybody heard from the University of Southern California? It's one of my top choices and in the past 5 years (yes, I checked all invite threads) they seem to have sent those out right around this time.

Has anybody heard from the University of Southern California? It's one of my top choices and in the past 5 years (yes, I checked all invite threads) they seem to have sent those out right around this time.

I haven't either! Also one of my top choices... little concerned about the delay as well!

School Name: Oklahoma State Univeristy
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/20/2012 11:54 AM
How were you notified: mass Email
Who notified you: DCT
Interview Date: February 9

You guys waiting check you email! I just got it. Good luck! I'm so excited I'm actually getting to post in this thread with good news!

Has anyone heard from Louisville or UCLA? I'm in love with their programs....

May I ask you all which faculty member you applied to work with? Just to see what my competition is :)

For University of Southern California.

OR, any of my other schools I suppose
UC Berkeley
Washington State University
University of Illinois - Chicago
University of Delaware
University of Connecticut
New York University (PhD in Psychology and Social Intervention in the applied psych dept.)

So happy for you mewtoo (and the rest of you too!!!). I've been reading all your posts, and was sincerely hoping you'd get some interviews. Good luck to you, as well as to everyone else who have posted here thus far.

So happy for you mewtoo (and the rest of you too!!!). I've been reading all your posts, and was sincerely hoping you'd get some interviews. Good luck to you, as well as to everyone else who have posted here thus far.

Thank you! :oops:

I get the sense that you aren't an applicant, but I feel like I should wish you good luck in general. :)

School Name: Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
Degree: PsyD
Track: General
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/20/2012
How were you notified: Email to check status of application online
Who notified you: Office of Admissions
Interview Date: 01/25/2013

Last edited:
I got an invite to Oklahoma State's clinical program today as well! I found out just an hour after my first post this morning asking if anyone had heard! (What luck!) Congratulations to you both. Will see you all on February 9th! Interested in sharing your POI?

Yeah, last year UCLA didn't give out interview invites until Jan 19-ish. So I wouldn't worry yet! :)

Just received an email inviting me to interview at the University of Kentucky for the clinical Ph.D. program! It was a mass email with a personalized letter attached. Hope to see some of you there! :)

Edited- forgot to add that interview dates are January 10-11, with the 10th being a reception and potluck dinner and actual interviews occurring on the 11th.

Last edited:
I got an email yesterday for interviewing at Oklahoma State! See you all there! :)