2012-2013 Ponce School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed the 24th. I hope to hear soon, however, I'm expecting the worse lol.

Why do you say that?

Members don't see this ad.

I got alternate listed. So I am in limbo until May I presume. Hoping for the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed late November and have yet to hear back. I hope this is not bad news. Anyone interview around this time and still has not heard back? I hope this is not a bad sign :-/

I interviewed late November and have yet to hear back. I hope this is not bad news. Anyone interview around this time and still has not heard back? I hope this is not a bad sign :-/

Have you tried calling them? Wouldn't hurt to ask for an update since you waited for so long.

Has anyone recieved a response lately from the school??? I interviewed the first week of February and still haven't heard anything. I'm SO anxious!!!

Has anyone recieved a response lately from the school??? I interviewed the first week of February and still haven't heard anything. I'm SO anxious!!!

I interviewed January 24th and haven't heard a thing.

Does anyone know how classes are taught? Monday to Friday? 8:00 am to..? Thank you and good luck to everyone!

I got alternate listed as well.

I'm waitlisted :/

Really? Aren't you a Puerto Rican resident? I thought this school highly favor PR residents.

Although it does say I was wait listed cause of limited seats, I don't really by it.

Really? Aren't you a Puerto Rican resident? I thought this school highly favor PR residents.

Although it does say I was wait listed cause of limited seats, I don't really by it.

I spoke with Gladys and they said they usually wait list about as many students as a full accepting class.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, I'm a resident here in PR. I know a few other residents who are also waitlisted, so we just have to wait until seats become available.

Was this your first choice school?

Did they let you guys know by email or snail mail? Thanks and good luck.

I know this is kind of a personal question, but, to those who got waitlisted, what do you feel was your main application weakness? Or was the waitlist a total surprise?

Did anyone who was waitlisted receive a background check consent request? Or is this only for accepted students? Thanks!

Good luck to all those on the waitlist.

Is anyone who was already accepted definitely going to Ponce?

Hey guys! Have any waitlisters been accepted??

Any thoughts on Ponce vs UCC vs SJB ? i know everyone says Ponce>UCC>SJB ... but any good reasons besides they might loose accreditation which i don't think will happen to any.. they might be put on probation.. but not loose it.

Also, When does Ponce Start or have orientation ?

Facebook group ?

Accepted off wait list!! Congrats to everyone that was accepted as well

Congrats to all those accepted off the waitlist!

As for Ponce vs. SJB, I think the obvious choice is Ponce. SJB's loss of accreditation was one of the biggest news stories of the last few years (as far as med schools are concerned). You can be sure that even if SJB does hold on to its accreditation (not certain) it will be remembered as that school that lost its accreditation a few years back. This might limit one's options when trying to match from SJB.

Ponce, on the other hand, has been LCME accredited for longer than many mainland schools (since 1977) and is not on probation. Its accreditation track record is MUCH more solid than SJB's.

As for UCC, I haven't yet been accepted there, but I don't think I'd choose it over Ponce even if I had been. I've heard that UCC has low USMLE pass rates and limited success in the match.

Congrats to all those accepted off the waitlist!

As for Ponce vs. SJB, I think the obvious choice is Ponce. SJB's loss of accreditation was one of the biggest news stories of the last few years (as far as med schools are concerned). You can be sure that even if SJB does hold on to its accreditation (not certain) it will be remembered as that school that lost its accreditation a few years back. This might limit one's options when trying to match from SJB.

Ponce, on the other hand, has been LCME accredited for longer than many mainland schools (since 1977) and is not on probation. Its accreditation track record is MUCH more solid than SJB's.

As for UCC, I haven't yet been accepted there, but I don't think I'd choose it over Ponce even if I had been. I've heard that UCC has low USMLE pass rates and limited success in the match.

Ponce was put on probation for corruption, contrary to SJB, which was placed on probation for loosing their clinical center.

Ponce was put on probation for corruption, contrary to SJB, which was placed on probation for loosing their clinical center.

Ponce is now completely off probation and was accredited for another few years.

I hope SJB gets fully accredited as well. I think it should happen within the next year.

All the medical schools in Puerto Rico, except for UPR, were put on probation at one point. Unfortunately, because SJB is currently on probation, it will be considered the worst school on the island. SJB will be subjected to negative bias because it will be judge on it's accreditation issues and not the school's academic performance. I can guarantee you that the majority of the applicants who applied to SJB this year, applied there as a safety "back up" school.

That being said, hands down, Ponce is know for it's prestige and is consider the second best school on the island, number one being UPR. I believe Ponce is ranked number 2 because the LCME next visit to Ponce will be in 2015-2016, thus securing the schools accreditation for our first two years of medical school. UCC is under review now and SJB will have a visit this summer and a decision whether they will continue to be on probation or not will be made by next year.

Personally, I believe you should go to a medical school that you like and not base your decision on pure conjecture of other students.

Last edited:

Please don't take what I said the wrong way. The truth is, getting into any of the 3 private schools in PR is a huge acheivement. So, first and foremost, congrats on getting into med school!

My last post comparing the 3 schools was nit-picking and it was only my personal opinion. In reality, if I had only been accepted to SJB, I would have no problem going as I'm almost certain that SJB has taken the steps necessary to maintain their accreditation. My only point was that UCC and Ponce are arguably marginally safer investments. (But, overall, all 3 are excellent investments.)

Like I said, if you got into any of these schools, including SJB, congrats!! You're going to be a doctor.

Last edited:

Where did you hear this? I can't find anything.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck everyone!

Hey guys! I found an apartment walking distance from PSM and very comfortable, but I need a housemate to split the rent with (preferibly female). Anyone interested??

Hey guys! I found an apartment walking distance from PSM and very comfortable, but I need a housemate to split the rent with (preferibly female). Anyone interested??

How many rooms? Do you only need one roommate?

Any current/former students have advice on apartments/good places to live/places that are nearer to the school? I need to start apartment hunting and I haven't the slightest idea where to start!

THANK YOU!

Any current/former students have advice on apartments/good places to live/places that are nearer to the school? I need to start apartment hunting and I haven't the slightest idea where to start!

THANK YOU!

Hey Reese. I know that the two closest places to the school (and the places that many (most?) students live) are Parque Monterrey and Valle Real. Parque Monterrey (I, II, and III) is a complex containing apartment buildings and Valle Real is a gated community with houses. Both Parque Monterrey and Valle Real are right next to the school, maybe a 5 minute walk or less to campus. If you haven't already received a housing list from the admissions office contact them and ask for one. Good luck.

Hey Reese. I know that the two closest places to the school (and the places that many (most?) students live) are Parque Monterrey and Valle Real. Parque Monterrey (I, II, and III) is a complex containing apartment buildings and Valle Real is a gated community with houses. Both Parque Monterrey and Valle Real are right next to the school, maybe a 5 minute walk or less to campus. If you haven't already received a housing list from the admissions office contact them and ask for one. Good luck.

Thank for that! I have received the housing lists, and figured that Parque Monterrey was close. Thanks for the tip on Valle Real as well. Like I said, I need to find housing, but really feel like I'm shooting in the dark looking for something. I wish I could wait until I get to Ponce in July, but that's not realistic. Haha

Are you officially going to Ponce?

Thank for that! I have received the housing lists, and figured that Parque Monterrey was close. Thanks for the tip on Valle Real as well. Like I said, I need to find housing, but really feel like I'm shooting in the dark looking for something. I wish I could wait until I get to Ponce in July, but that's not realistic. Haha

Are you officially going to Ponce?

You might want to make the trip down to Ponce to look at apartments, if at all possible. If you can't make it to Ponce then I would say that Parque Monterrey is a very safe bet.

Yeah, it looks like I'm going to Ponce, though I'm still waiting on a few waitlists.