2012-2013 Quinnipiac University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! when did you submit the secondary/were complete? and stats if you don't mind sharing
Thanks! I submitted November 11 but it took until first week of December to be marked complete. I am a fairly non traditional applicant. Pm me for stats.

Members don't see this ad.

Got my interview moved up to next week! Is anyone interviewing on Monday?

Lucky! I think I'll email them too haha. Anyone else nervous about the writing? Also the patient thing we have to do?

Got my interview moved up to next week! Is anyone interviewing on Monday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive thats just the writing excercise?

For those who have interviewed can you shed some light on this?

I believe they are referring to the writing sample...

Good luck to all. Just be yourself and you will do fine. :thumbup:

Does anyone know if getting the holiday card meant anything? Did everyone who applied get one? I got one but have not received an interview invite....

Does anyone know if getting the holiday card meant anything? Did everyone who applied get one? I got one but have not received an interview invite....

I do think it was just an act of sincerity from the school, and just something nice from the school.

Wether or not it means something, I doubt it, but I got it too and I'm in the same boat as you. Maybe they sent it to the first few hundred apps they received. Who knows....

I didn't receive the holiday card until after Christmas - a good two weeks after I received the offer and four weeks since the interview. I think it was just a nice thing they did.

The holiday cards do not mean anything, they are probably from an arbitrary collection of potential student addresses that the school has. For example, my roommate and I both applied. I recieved an interview invitation and she has not. However she recieved a holiday card and I did not. I would not put any importance on this nice gesture!

Has anyone who interviewed on December 10 heard back yet? Keeping my fingers tightly crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed on December 10 heard back yet? Keeping my fingers tightly crossed!

is it too obnoxious to send an update regarding shadowing experience?

How many of us are still hoping for an invite? I am really hoping I get a chance to visit this school.

Accepted!!! Absolutely loved this school and what they stand for!! Interviewed 12/13!

The order of the two posts before me sums up what this thread feels like to me, haha (me being the first of the two posters, lol).

Accepted!!! Absolutely loved this school and what they stand for!! Interviewed 12/13!
I just got accepted too!!! I interviewed on 12/13 as well! Maybe we've met! I was in the AM session.

Accepted members: can you share stats? Just curious. Major congrats of course!

Have any of the accepted students received their official letter yet? Aren't we supposed to get some sort of packet in the mail? I was accepted around December 20th and I'm wondering when/if I'll be getting anything in the mail.

Have any of the accepted students received their official letter yet? Aren't we supposed to get some sort of packet in the mail? I was accepted around December 20th and I'm wondering when/if I'll be getting anything in the mail.

I don't think so. We just sign and pay online.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

I don't think so. We just sign and pay online.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Lol never mind...upon closer inspection of the email I realized they said they will send a packet after May 15th....

All that running to the mailbox for nothing! Oh well, at least I'm in :D

How many of us are still hoping for an invite? I am really hoping I get a chance to visit this school.

Me too! Submitted my secondary in early Jan; looks like the trend (if any) is that candidates typically hear back w/invites a few weeks after submitting their secondary. Hoping that continues, though I'd imagine things may slow down now because they've already accepted a bunch of applicants.

Me too! Submitted my secondary in early Jan; looks like the trend (if any) is that candidates typically hear back w/invites a few weeks after submitting their secondary. Hoping that continues, though I'd imagine things may slow down now because they've already accepted a bunch of applicants.
I dunno if that's true: the last person in this thread was complete Nov 11. Of course, this is not representative of everyone, but if one person complete in Dec could speak up, that'd be a good reference point.

complete first week of december some point, still nothing

has anyone sent a LOI or updates and had a response?

has anyone sent a LOI or updates and had a response?
I have not yet sent an LOI yet. I'm mulling it over and looking over the letter I wrote. At the Open House and even afterwards, it sounds like "just send what they ask for and nothing more before an II" seems to be the rule, though I don't think there is any harm, just not sure of the benefit.

But if it helps, last week of Nov here and nothing (Nov 26th to be exact). Maybe the week of Nov 11th is the set they are up to because of the holidays (Turkey and Chimney guy, to not offend anyone, lol)?

Last edited:
I dunno if that's true: the last person in this thread was complete Nov 11. Of course, this is not representative of everyone, but if one person complete in Dec could speak up, that'd be a good reference point.

I was complete first week of December, and received an interview invite on Monday.

I was complete first week of December, and received an interview invite on Monday.
I was confused at first, but I see what you're saying: you submitted on Nov 11th (you're the person I was talking about), but you weren't marked complete until Dec. I dunno which to go by O_O;

Nope, I just checked online continually until my status changed to complete!

Nope, I just checked online continually until my status changed to complete!

Oh that's good news, my status has been complete for awhile. If you are referring to the green check mark next to App Complete. yay!

Really that's great news, gives me some hope. :)

+1

They're also interviewing until the end of March, so that's pretty awesome..some schools are already done with interviews :(

Pretty bummed!! I've been complete since 11/25 and still no news. I guess they are not a fan of me!

Pretty bummed!! I've been complete since 11/25 and still no news. I guess they are not a fan of me!

Don't worry, that's not really that long ago, considering there has been about two weeks worth of holidays since then. So I would think you are still in the running.

Don't worry, that's not really that long ago, considering there has been about two weeks worth of holidays since then. So I would think you are still in the running.

Thanks so much!! Best of luck to you!!

I think they said they've gotten about 700 applicants and are interviewing 200? Decent odds!

Assuming the average medical school has to accept 2 to 2.5 times more people from the interviewed pool than the number of seats in the class, in order to safely fill the class, than almost every person interviewed most likely will get an acceptance. Even from the sampling of people on this thread who have interviewed, have also reported that they have been ultimately accepted. Thoughts anyone?

Assuming the average medical school has to accept 2 to 2.5 times more people from the interviewed pool than the number of seats in the class, in order to safely fill the class, than almost every person interviewed most likely will get an acceptance. Even from the sampling of people on this thread who have interviewed, have also reported that they have been ultimately accepted. Thoughts anyone?

I think they are being picky about who they interview for this exact reason. They have much less time to interview therefore they probably want to interview only those they feel would be a good fit. I've only seen a couple of rejections from those who have been interviewed...

I'd imagine they are planning to interview around 400 applicants. They had already sent out 230 invites back in December: http://quinnipiac.wordpress.com/201...-at-our-frank-h-netter-md-school-of-medicine/

I'll agree with that assessment assuming that there really are 200 interviews being given out. Newer schools that are just about to open usually have to accept closer to 2.5 times more students than the number of seats, so if there are really giving 200 interviews, then the acceptance rate post-interview is something like 70%+, which is kind of ridiculously high...Could be even higher if we're not counting waitlist movement.

Can anyone tell me where the 700 apps/200 interviews info is from? I was reading through the thread and it was mentioned on the second page that by the beginning of November they had over 700, so I feel like there may actually be a lot more apps than 700 by now :shrug:

I was told recently that there have been about 2000 applications received and they are giving out about 400 interviews.

I'd imagine they are planning to interview around 400 applicants. They had already sent out 230 invites back in December: http://quinnipiac.wordpress.com/201...-at-our-frank-h-netter-md-school-of-medicine/

Thanks for posting this.

"1,660 applications have been received through the American Medical College Application Service.
290 applications have been screened.
230 applicants have been invited for interviews."

Does "have been screened" mean 290/1,660 applicants got a secondary? Because if that's the case then then I'm pretty glad that they gave me one :laugh:

I interviewed there and I really thought that's what they said, but it sounds like I am totally wrong... very sorry! I'll go back and delete. (Maybe it was 700 secondaries and 200+ interviews? Or the stress of this process is getting to me and I'm hallucinating.)

It's no problem, it may have been correct info at the time you interviewed. I agree this process is incredibly stressful (driving me half insane- and this is my second cycle) so no worries :)

I interviewed there and I really thought that's what they said, but it sounds like I am totally wrong... very sorry! I'll go back and delete. (Maybe it was 700 secondaries and 200+ interviews? Or the stress of this process is getting to me and I'm hallucinating.)

Don't worry, I agree, that's probably what the numbers were when you interviewed. This sure is a stressful process, I thought senior year was supposed to be fun. :)

Thanks for posting this.

"1,660 applications have been received through the American Medical College Application Service.
290 applications have been screened.
230 applicants have been invited for interviews."

Does "have been screened" mean 290/1,660 applicants got a secondary? Because if that's the case then then I'm pretty glad that they gave me one :laugh:

Based on these #'s, aren't I correct that almost everyone interviewed gets an acceptance?

Based on these #'s, aren't I correct that almost everyone interviewed gets an acceptance?

The class size is going to be 60, so if you figure 60 * 2.5 = 150. However, I believe the number given, 230, for interviewed is only those who have already interviewed. I believe they still plan on interviewing around 400. But even if they interviewed 230 there would still be at least 35% rejected/wait-listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.