* * 2012-2013 Secondary Applications Thread!! * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could "institution" maybe mean where they work? I'm just throwing out guesses, here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last year's first question was

Quote:
Are you acquainted with an osteopathic physician (e.g., family physician, relative, or close friend)? If so, please provide name, relationship to physician, institution and date of graduation and where they earned their osteopathic degree.

If the only DOs I am acquainted with are the two I shadowed, should I put them in for that question? Or are they strictly looking for people we know on a somewhat personal level?

Also isn't the institution they graduated from going to be the same place they earned their osteopathic degree? Redundant question (yes, it is "and where" not "of where")?

What seems to be the problem here?

1. Are you acquainted with an osteopathic physician? YES/NO
2. Name of the D.O. (if YES above)
3. Relationship to this D.O.
4. Institution of this D.O. (where does s/he work?)
5. Date of Graduation from medical school
6. Where did they earn their D.O.?

If the only DOs I am acquainted with are the two I shadowed, should I put them in for that question? Or are they strictly looking for people we know on a somewhat personal level?

Good question. I would also like to know the "answer"...

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, I have a friend that I shadowed who is a DO, but I've known him since 2nd grade, and we were in Ski Patrol together, I can list him as a friend, just shadowing someone isn't the same... imho

I understand that most schools email you an invite and or a prompt, correct? Do they send it to your AACOMAS email automatically or was there somewhere else that we were supposed to input an email? I don't think I put any email on my AACOMAS except for the one I used to login.

I understand that most schools email you an invite and or a prompt, correct? Do they send it to your AACOMAS email automatically or was there somewhere else that we were supposed to input an email? I don't think I put any email on my AACOMAS except for the one I used to login.

They should send it to that one, I'd imagine (and hope) lol.

Do most schools' secondaries have a field you can input the essay/answer, or is it usually by attaching a document or PDF or something else? And are the word/character limits strict, or are they just approximate and it is okay to go over them?

Do most schools' secondaries have a field you can input the essay/answer, or is it usually by attaching a document or PDF or something else? And are the word/character limits strict, or are they just approximate and it is okay to go over them?

UMDNJ is pdf but most of the ones I logged into could be done online and there were fields your respones could be pasted into. I put the character limit in my posts if it was applicable.

Is it like AMCAS or AACOMAS where they cut you off if you reach the limit, or can you go over?

Most schools will email you with a link to their website to fill out a secondary. A few will have PDF as mentioned above ( I think PCOM does this as well )

And so it will be very similar to AACOMAS, with writing fields that cut off character limits.

Does anyone know if a school, like DMU, who requires biochem will screen you out if you have biochem as planned and not yet completed it?

Does anyone know if a school, like DMU, who requires biochem will screen you out if you have biochem as planned and not yet completed it?

I think you just have to have it completed by the time you matriculate. So no, you won't get screened out.

Maybe Stok can confirm this for me.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think I've read other SDNers getting conditional acceptances to DMU provided they complete biochem before matriculating.

What seems to be the problem here?

1. Are you acquainted with an osteopathic physician? YES/NO
2. Name of the D.O. (if YES above)
3. Relationship to this D.O.
4. Institution of this D.O. (where does s/he work?)
5. Date of Graduation from medical school
6. Where did they earn their D.O.?

The problem is whether or not shadowing counts. I am acquainted with DOs, but only because I shadowed them. See below.

no. unless you know the physician on a personal level, don't put it.

Agreed, I have a friend that I shadowed who is a DO, but I've known him since 2nd grade, and we were in Ski Patrol together, I can list him as a friend, just shadowing someone isn't the same... imho

The problem is whether or not shadowing counts. I am acquainted with DOs, but only because I shadowed them. See below.

ac·quaint·ance/əˈkwāntns/
Noun:
A person's knowledge or experience of something.
One's slight knowledge of or friendship with someone.

Soooo I'm going to simply have to say an acquaintance is someone you have briefly met. You don't have to know them on any personal level. It can be based on shadowing, a long friendship, or a single conversation in which you exchanged names and a few words. So yeah I think you can use any DO so long as you're an acquaintance.

ac·quaint·ance/əˈkwāntns/
Noun:
A person's knowledge or experience of something.
One's slight knowledge of or friendship with someone.

Soooo I'm going to simply have to say an acquaintance is someone you have briefly met. You don't have to know them on any personal level. It can be based on shadowing, a long friendship, or a single conversation in which you exchanged names and a few words. So yeah I think you can use any DO so long as you're an acquaintance.

I'm aware of the definition of acquaintance. The fact that the secondary prompt qualifies it with a family member or close friend is what threw me off.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm going to count shadowing on my secondary's when filling out this section. They ask the relationship so I will put mentee orshadowing, something like that. In my opinion, if it were really a big deal then they would be super specific. I interpret it as them inquiring about your exposure to Osteopathic Medicine in general.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm going to count shadowing on my secondary’s when filling out this section. They ask the relationship so I will put mentee orshadowing, something like that. In my opinion, if it were really a big deal then they would be super specific. I interpret it as them inquiring about your exposure to Osteopathic Medicine in general.

agreed

I was going to fill out and send LMU's secondary since they recommend you do so right after you submit AACOMAS. I got verified last week and filled out the secondary today. I was going to submit it but then I saw on their website that they will be accepting supplement applications starting July 1st? So if we submit it now what happens, they throw it away? haha

Last edited:
If I forgot to add one of my shadowing experiences to my primary application so could I just mention it in the secondaries? I was able to update the AACOMAS but AMCAS doesn't allow that.
Thanks!

I know it's early, but last year I'm pretty sure I started receiving secondary invites from DO schools within a few days from my application being "released." My AACOMAS app was verified 6/18/2012 and released a week later, and still nothing from the DO schools. My AMCAS app, however, was verified 6/28/2012 and I've already received 4 secondaries. I was just wondering if anyone else has yet to hear from the DO schools. Thanks!

Ive heard from 3. Check the secondaries thread to see which schools have Released their stuff.

Both ATSUs, CCOM, NSU, OSU(they expect you to do it without them notifying), NYCOM, LECOM-B, WCU, and MSU are the one's I got.

Also filled out AZCOM, LMU, and DMU without official invites.

Both ATSUs, CCOM, NSU, OSU(they expect you to do it without them notifying), NYCOM, LECOM-B, WCU, and MSU are the one's I got.

Where did you find DMU's?

Where did you find DMU's?

It's not there anymore so it must have applied to last cycle. I guess they'll either make me do it over, switch it over, or tell me to get lost.

Ok thanks. I did Rocky Vista, Touro-CA, UNE, and Western, so I guess I'll give it another few days.

I'm confused. There are schools that expect you to turn in secondaries without an invitation? All of the secondaries I've received from MD schools have a website where I can log in and submit the applications from their website.

How do you submit if you don't have information from the school? Which schools do this?

I'm confused. There are schools that expect you to turn in secondaries without an invitation? All of the secondaries I've received from MD schools have a website where I can log in and submit the applications from their website.

How do you submit if you don't have information from the school? Which schools do this?

Don't sweat what I said. As far as I know, osu is the only one. They still invite people, but I'm one of the rare one's that never got an email from them last cycle. For this cycle, I set up an account twice for the secondary and never got an email until I set up a third account with a different email. I think it's because my email is an @someting.somethingelse.com (I did check my spam folder)

You'll have NO problems with any other schools.

The CIB tells you if can send a secondary before getting an invite

LMU's supplemental app keeps deleting my essay no matter what browser I use, as I'm filling it out. Very frustrating.

Anyone else run into this problem? Tried Firefox and IE now... I guess maybe Chrome? Really annoying to have put it in 4 times already...

LMU's supplemental app keeps deleting my essay no matter what browser I use, as I'm filling it out. Very frustrating.

Anyone else run into this problem? Tried Firefox and IE now... I guess maybe Chrome? Really annoying to have put it in 4 times already...

Not me. I used IE.

Not me. I used IE.

Did the essays disappear once you got down to the last few parts of the app? The essay boxes become "empty" and "uneditable" when I'm about ready to submit. So weird.

Going to try a different computer now.

I don't really remember what it looked like but I'm sure my essays were viewable before submitting

I don't really remember what it looked like but I'm sure my essays were viewable before submitting

I can view and edit my essays UNTIL I hit "I am paying my $50.00 fee online" from the pull-down tab at the bottom.

For the text input boxes it only lets me type in them if I click "Disable Microsoft InfoPath Rich Text Editing" or something along those lines. Tried three different computers and 4 different browsers on each now.

If I click "I am using a fee waiver" it does not delete the essays in the boxes.

Wondering if I should just print the PDF and my essays and mail it... Just wasted a few hours trying to get this to work.

::Sigh:: ... now it says I need a log-in ID. Did anyone need a login ID to submit it? (I haven't gotten anything from the school yet, I figured people were just filling them out and submitting at will).

ATSU and MWU for me.

::Sigh:: ... now it says I need a log-in ID. Did anyone need a login ID to submit it? (I haven't gotten anything from the school yet, I figured people were just filling them out and submitting at will).

You're not the only one--I think people are doing that. (The only reason I'm not is that I'm not applying there ;)) Maybe they're changing their system so you do need to receive an email first? I would search thru SDN for posts on it... I think I remember someone writing that they actually say on their website to fill out the secondary right after AACOMAS is finished. Myabe they changed it? Anyway, I hope you get it figured out! I probably wouldn't hurt to just email them and ask about it...

You're not the only one--I think people are doing that. (The only reason I'm not is that I'm not applying there ;)) Maybe they're changing their system so you do need to receive an email first? I would search thru SDN for posts on it... I think I remember someone writing that they actually say on their website to fill out the secondary right after AACOMAS is finished. Myabe they changed it? Anyway, I hope you get it figured out! I probably wouldn't hurt to just email them and ask about it...

Yeah I spoke with another SDN'er and they said that the school instructed them to just send in a paper copy of the PDF with a check. Their online system is running into some major issues. I just dropped it into the mail this morning with a check.

Their website states that they won't review applications until the supplemental is received. No dates are listed however. Either way it's not going to hurt to send it in now so I did! :)

Yeah I spoke with another SDN'er and they said that the school instructed them to just send in a paper copy of the PDF with a check. Their online system is running into some major issues. I just dropped it into the mail this morning with a check.

Their website states that they won't review applications until the supplemental is received. No dates are listed however. Either way it's not going to hurt to send it in now so I did! :)

I'm glad you got it figured out. So exciting to start sending them in!

I just had to see if anyone else saw this question on NOVA's secondary...it was awesome:

How did you learn about osteopathic medicine? Yes or No

I put yes...:laugh:

I just had to see if anyone else saw this question on NOVA's secondary...it was awesome:

Mentioned it in the NSU-COM thread. :)

just submitted it... was thinking the same thing. How did I learn about it? ... YES! ;)

Hahahaha same here man I stopped for a second like wtf?? then....:idea:....clicked yes.

I bet they fix it soon and all the later applicants have to write an essay :)

at first i thought it was something with my browser. isn't it funny that we automatically decide 'yes' is the better answer, even tho neither make any sense?

I put "no" and if they ask me about it I'm going to say "I didn't have to learn about osteopathic medicine, I was born with the knowledge" Then NSU will offer me a full scholarship plus living stipend plus ACGME match of my choice. True story.

I put "no" and if they ask me about it I'm going to say "I didn't have to learn about osteopathic medicine, I was born with the knowledge" Then NSU will offer me a full scholarship plus living stipend plus ACGME match of my choice. True story.

MedPR, we identify these truths as self-evident. Any dismissal shall be condemned as tyrannical oppression. We stand true. :cool: