2012-2013 SFSU Dental Post Baccalaureate

dr1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from the office at SFSU Dental PB in response to interview invites. Apparently they will be sending out interview invites within the next 2 weeks to those that have already submitted their applications.

Thought I would make a thread for those who have applied to the program. Official deadline is still April 1st

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting this thread! I submitted my app about 3 1/2 weeks ago so I am hoping to hear something soon. Keep us posted on your status! Good Luck :D

Thanks for starting this thread! I submitted my app about 3 1/2 weeks ago so I am hoping to hear something soon. Keep us posted on your status! Good Luck :D

thanks! and good luck to you as well! i believed i submitted my app on 02/27 and all my LOR were submitted within a week after that date. so most likely we should be hearing around the same time! I'm super nervous about this cycle!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an interview date as well! I was definitely not expecting it since its so early and two of my LORS still haven't been submitted. April 6th! Maybe I'll see you there!

I got phone call and an email for an interview today too!!!!! :) Same here, very surprised since I barely submitted it last week. Anyhow, I can't make it to the interview, but I will have a Skype interview. :D

Luck to all of you!!!! are all of you interviewing same day April 6th? ?

wow congrats you guys!

i have yet to receive a call or email :( i felt my overall application was decent-good ECs and LOR but i feel my gpa will be a downer :/

No interview for me as well! I submitted my app on 02/17

wow congrats you guys!

i have yet to receive a call or email :( i felt my overall application was decent-good ECs and LOR but i feel my gpa will be a downer :/

Dr1989, I think I’m in the same boat as you! I haven’t received a phone call or email either. My science GPA was not VERY strong but I think my LORs and ECs are. Hopefully we hear something soon. I’m also from the east coast so being an OOS applicant will really effect my chances I think.

Good luck again!

^^agh know how you feel! well good luck to you as well!

Did any of you guys also apply for the UCSF dental postbac program?

Did any of you guys also apply for the UCSF dental postbac program?

No. I think that program was specifically for underprivileged candidates, so I did not feel like I was a suitable candidate. I applied to a bunch of masters programs though: UMDNJ, Barry, BU and Midwestern.

I still have not heard back about an interview from SFSU.

hey may I ask you what your stats were like? I submitted mine way early around Jan and my stats are ok, but I got a call from the Admission office saying they will notify me by april 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey may I ask you what your stats were like? I submitted mine way early around Jan and my stats are ok, but I got a call from the Admission office saying they will notify me by april 1st.

my gpa was 2.6 :/ so I'm very worried abt that
but I've worked in an ER for 3+ years and currently intern at the UCLA d-school where i got a LOR from my supervisor/oral pathologist who is also on the admission committee for the school

i also have done a load of community service and started 2 clubs at my school.

I'm hoping that in combination with my disadvantaged statement will give me a boost

but i did receive an email that they will be interviewing all throughout April and my application is under review. i didn't get any phone calls-did you call them first?

I didn't call them, but they called me and told me that my application is under the review. Well you have been very active in the field that shows so much to them. Let's be positive and hopefully we will get an interview :)

I think I was the first person they interviewed. They have 16 spots and they will have 2 more rounds of interviews in April. All notifications of acceptance/rejection will be given out in May 1st regardless of when people are interviewed.

so do they actually call or send emails to invite for interviews? Also do you know how many people to they actually interview and how many would get acceptance out of the group? I am so nervous I really want to be in the round of interviews and get acceptance in the school.

Also if you don't mind sharing how your stats are? I was one of the first ones to apply and haven't heard anything about interviews yet!

Based on my calculation, they will interview around 50 people for the 16 spots. It is ridiculously impressive how successful this program is. Everyone go through it seem to be able to get into top dental schools. They called first and then sent an email. For my stats, I have a 3.2 GPA, no dental experience (may be my downfall :( ) , 2 years of research, lots of work experiences and extracurricular activities.

GPA (3.04 science/3.6 overall--econ major, bio minor) and I am an out of state applicant (NJ resident) which makes me think I have a very low chance of getting an interview. I have had over 2000 hours of dental work experience, as well has a few months of research in an oral biology lab. My DAT was 19AA/19TS/16PAT....LOW PAT:scared: but that is the whole reason why I am applying to the Post-bacc program in the first place.

I actually have no recieved a call about my application being reviewed, so I plan to call them today and find out what the status of my application is.

mine is still under review. has anyone received a call for an interview yet? Or does anyone know of when is exactly that they will notify us? I am so nervous!

don't worry yet. They sent out one round of interviews like 10 days ago, and I think they said they would have two more rounds in april. They have not been reviewing for very long, so don't stress out yet. Also, on May 1st they will send all rejection and acceptance notices. :)

I received a call for an interview for 4/6. I applied mid-March. Best of luck to everyone who's waiting. This may be stressful for a lot of people who still haven't heard, but remember you're pursuing a great profession and when the time comes you'll hear your calling to serve.

Thank for the response. I guess if they don't call for interviews by end of May we know that the letter is going to be a rejection letter. Congrats to those that got the interviews and best of luck to everyone! Please post the dates that you get a call for interview so we can be updated on this :)

I haven't found any links on here or elsewhere regarding possible interview questions. If anyone else has link, please share. :)

has anyone else got the email/call for interviews!!! still waiting for me....

has anyone else got the email/call for interviews!!! still waiting for me....

I haven't heard ANYTHING from them aside from getting an email some time back saying that my application is under review. But, the school is on spring break right now (until April 6) so I'm assuming that's why everything is at a standstill right now.

Hey! I just joined this network and I found this thread, it's great! I also applied to the dental post bac program and have an interview scheduled for tomorrow (April 6th) I'm super nervous and don't really know what to expect...

I was offered acceptance the UCSF Dental post-bac program! I interviewed last week over skype. If you guys also applied to that program, would you prefer it over SFSU? The biggest advantage at SFSU is that it's a bigger and more dynamic cohort :oops:

I received a call for an interview for UCSF dental post bac on 4/19. Im so nervous! I read that you got accepted, congratulations! What did they asked you and how did you prepare for the interview?
Any tips will help
thank you!

congrats on getting into UCSF!

both programs are great and associated with amazing dental schools. at this point i would focus on what accommodates you best academically/personally :)

anyone else received any emails or calls?
i have gotten none so pretty much feeling i should throw in the towel :(

I got accepted into UCSF post bac, but I will be moving from the East coast, anyone else moving to San Francisco? interested in getting an apartment together?

Interview was over skype because I'm on the east coast. It was about 20 mins. They asked about my research project, why I want dentistry and not medicine or graduate school. They asked me specific questions about my academic record and the classic tell me about yourself question. Also, why do you think you need the postbac program, and then if you have any questions or want to add anything else. It was 3 people interviewing, and it was a relaxed type of interview.

To people that were accepted, if you're looking for a place to live, I am moving out of my apartment around mid-May and looking for someone to replace me. I'm in the SFSU formal post-bac program and live with 2 other post-bacs. The room is a double. PM me if you're interested. Congrats!

I'd stay with UCSF since it's almost a guarantee you'll get linked with the dental program. Plus make sure to tell SFSU you're not going there anymore so they can extend offer to the next in line. Congrats and best of luck.

What a great thread! Great information! So I got an email on the 7th of April for an interview on the 16th. Anyone willing or able to give me some tips in regards to the interview process? How did it go? I was told that there was two interview sections in the schedule, maybe a dumb question, but what does that even mean or look like? Anyways, just super nervous about the whole thing and I want to go in prepared :)

The interviewers are unbelievably friendly. You are there to tell them your story and get to know them. It's a very welcoming atmosphere and the questions are based on you and your application. No surprises. It'll be a great experience. You'll interview twice on that day and the rest of the time you'll get a tour and hang out with the rest of the interviewees and current students.

Enjoy the day and be you.

I just recieved a call today for interview invite for SFSU for April 18th. I am super excited. Any hints on the questions that are asked during the inteview? Also does anyone know how many spots are open for the remaining people?

The interviews for the SFSU program are really relaxed and personable. You really are talking to a friend and there's nothing to stress about! I just got a call yesterday letting me know I've been accepted!! There have only been one round of interviews so I'm sure there are plenty of spots left! Good luck and seriously just be yourself!

when did you interview and how long did it take till they called you in regards to your acceptance? congrats by the way! :)

I interviewed on April 6th and the called me yesterday so about a week and a half or so

For the guys..
what were your dress attire for the interview? dress shirt and tie?
did you guys bring anything along with you to the interview? like pencil, paper, backpack, etc?

Wear a suit. Take some cash for parking. Keep it real and be yourself.

congrats again to those who got accepted and for those with interviews :)

seems like the cutoff for the gpa req is 3.0ish
mine came out to be a 2.67 and will be a 2.81 by the end of this semester so at this point I'm expecting no invites :(
anyone have any suggestions for me for next time? i am thinking of taking extension classes at ucla-i spoke with the admin committee at UoP and UCLA-both said they prefer extension on site courses over online courses-so:

#1 I'm thinking of just doin a 'post bacc' on my own :oops: (consistent mostly of UCLA extension classes (on campus/night courses) and a few open uni classes if i can get it

#2 other choice is to work for a year full-time at my current hospital job. but I've been working since 16 so not too crazy at that thought-but at least i can pay back some loans

im 23 and the average age for first years is 25-i REALLY want to keep on going but it will take me 30 units min to bring my gpa to a 3.0
i have received all As and Bs in upper bio courses like genetics, molecular bio and neuro (but D in calc and C- in first semesters of ochem/physics killed me)

i am NOT one to give up and am all for summer school and another year of classes to get me closer. but my previous thread in the pre-dental forum kind of disheartened me so at this point I'm almost aiming for option #2 and re-eval myself after a year....

advice??:)

Just letting you all know...I'M IN COHORT 7 @ SF State!!!! Now looking for a place to rent...any ideas?

congrats again to those who got accepted and for those with interviews :)

seems like the cutoff for the gpa req is 3.0ish
mine came out to be a 2.67 and will be a 2.81 by the end of this semester so at this point I'm expecting no invites :(
anyone have any suggestions for me for next time? i am thinking of taking extension classes at ucla-i spoke with the admin committee at UoP and UCLA-both said they prefer extension on site courses over online courses-so:

#1 I'm thinking of just doin a 'post bacc' on my own :oops: (consistent mostly of UCLA extension classes (on campus/night courses) and a few open uni classes if i can get it

#2 other choice is to work for a year full-time at my current hospital job. but I've been working since 16 so not too crazy at that thought-but at least i can pay back some loans

im 23 and the average age for first years is 25-i REALLY want to keep on going but it will take me 30 units min to bring my gpa to a 3.0
i have received all As and Bs in upper bio courses like genetics, molecular bio and neuro (but D in calc and C- in first semesters of ochem/physics killed me)

i am NOT one to give up and am all for summer school and another year of classes to get me closer. but my previous thread in the pre-dental forum kind of disheartened me so at this point I'm almost aiming for option #2 and re-eval myself after a year....

advice??:)

Honestly, don't stress about it my gpa was below a 3.0 and I was accepted into the sfsu program. Give them a call if you have heard back yet, they should know that you are persistent and really want to go to dental school. Dental schools don't accept informal post bacs and if you didn't get admitted this year, I would really try again. The program seems really great and seems to have a great success rate.

I'm also now looking for a place to rent as well so any ideas would be super helpful, I'm not to familiar with places by SFSU. Thanks!

Has anybody heard back about their acceptance after their interview around April 17th-18th yet?

Anyone that's been accepted into the SFSU dental post bac and it looking for housing/roommates PM me!!