2012-2013 Social Thread!! Let's start networking!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dick Jones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets do this lol!

Members don't see this ad.

Hahaha Love it!!!

I'll start:
I am moving into a new condo in ~ two weeks just signed the lease today. Super duper excited!! Very close to campus, ridiculously nice amenities... expensive as hell, but I think it's worth it! Hope moving doesn't mess up studying for finals too much 0_o

Anyone else have some big changes happening right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm down with this but why is this 2012-2013 and not 2013-2014? We're already 4 months into the year! :laugh:

Hahaha wow I didn't even notice that....technically still in the school year I guess

Hahaha Love it!!!

I'll start:
I am moving into a new condo in ~ two weeks just signed the lease today. Super duper excited!! Very close to campus, ridiculously nice amenities... expensive as hell, but I think it's worth it! Hope moving doesn't mess up studying for finals too much 0_o

Anyone else have some big changes happening right now?

Good luck with that! I hate moving....you got a condo's worth of furniture? haha

My life is MCAT, research and finals right now...:eek:

Lol yes I do, I already have a condo now. But I going to be donating most of it and getting new stuff.

How is everyone's MCAT studying going?

Not great bruh. I have been getting behind my schedule due to a lot of end of the semester school work, but I'm still confident I can pull it together before May 23rd. I still need to do some Bio material review then I'll just be doing practice tests for the last month. Pulled a 30 on AAMC #3 without finishing material review, but I know that is supposed to be the easiest one

I say you just make a social thread where we can just post random ish for the years to come vs one made for each year/cycle.

I say you just make a social thread where we can just post random ish for the years to come vs one made for each year/cycle.
+1

Back when I joined SDN there was a pretty large group of people on the URM forum that were active...probably a dozen to two dozen and I have kept in contact with some of them and I know they stay in touch on Facebook now that they are med students... chances are those of us applying this cycle may run into each other on the trail so might as well network since there aren't that many of us out there

Not great bruh. I have been getting behind my schedule due to a lot of end of the semester school work, but I'm still confident I can pull it together before May 23rd. I still need to do some Bio material review then I'll just be doing practice tests for the last month. Pulled a 30 on AAMC #3 without finishing material review, but I know that is supposed to be the easiest one

I know it’s difficult, but try to spend as much time as possible preparing. I frequently regret not spending more time on the MCAT because it will have a definite effect on your cycle. I got 1 or 2 points below my average on the actual test so prepare accordingly.

+1

Back when I joined SDN there was a pretty large group of people on the URM forum that were active...probably a dozen to two dozen and I have kept in contact with some of them and I know they stay in touch on Facebook now that they are med students... chances are those of us applying this cycle may run into each other on the trail so might as well network since there aren't that many of us out there
Well I am not in the cycle.... I assumed it just meant this school year period. Then we have another one this fall ^_^, but I guess one permanent one would make sense. It would be hella lot of pages though 0_o

Members don't see this ad :)
Big Changes? No. My life is MCAT, research, and finals as well with the addition of EMS. (AAAAAAAAH)

MCAT? Not so much. Sadly, I'm going to have to put that on hold for now. I'll have a solid 6 1/2 weeks in the summer before my June 20th test.

On another note I watched Doctors' Diaries the other night. Has anyone else seen it? It was encouraging, helpful, and depressing all at the same time. Haha

On another note I watched Doctors' Diaries the other night. Has anyone else seen it? It was encouraging, helpful, and depressing all at the same time. Haha

Never heard of it. Is it a TV show or webseries?

Never heard of it. Is it a TV show or webseries?

It's a documentary on NetFlix from PBS's NOVA. I found it to be pretty eye-opening and depressing haha. I think it shed light on the fact that just because you're going to become a Harvard educated doctor (or doctor at all for that matter) doesn't ensure that you are going to have a great life.

It made me a little :scared: about my situation and made me think I need to find a wifey before I get to med school haha

Hahaha have you heard of the AA women on SDN thread? Jk

I think I'll watch it tonight, some at least!

It's a documentary on NetFlix from PBS's NOVA. I found it to be pretty eye-opening and depressing haha. I think it shed light on the fact that just because you're going to become a Harvard educated doctor (or doctor at all for that matter) doesn't ensure that you are going to have a great life.

It made me a little :scared: about my situation and made me think I need to find a wifey before I get to med school haha

Well apparently if you're an AA male and you get that white coat you're good, buddy. You'll be beating off quality women with a stick :laugh:

I'll definitely watch it. I'm acutely aware of the realities of becoming a doctor. I've heard the good, bad and ugly already from my mentor and from a family member that's doing her residency now.

I saw it too...but I could tell most of them were very sheltered and young/optimistic.

Well apparently if you're an AA male and you get that white coat you're good, buddy. You'll be beating off quality women with a stick :laugh:

I wonder if this applies to Puerto Ricans :eyebrow:

I saw it too...but I could tell most of them were very sheltered and young/optimistic.

I agree. Getting an MD from a great school does not change who you are on the inside. I was fascinated watching the follow up on the students because the AA female on the show was super secretive.

Just finished watching Doctor's Diaries, it was a great documentary. I feel bad for Tim though, but I can definitely relate to what he was saying about how people judge him off his physical appearance. I recommend others watch.

Just finished watching Doctor's Diaries, it was a great documentary. I feel bad for Tim though, but I can definitely relate to what he was saying about how people judge him off his physical appearance. I recommend others watch.

Made me rethink about getting tatted up...at least somewhere that is visible...I thought he would be alright though cause he seemed a bit older than the other ones starting medical school at the beginning, but he probably was the most tragic (3 unsuccessful wives if my memory serves?)

Made me rethink about getting tatted up...at least somewhere that is visible...I thought he would be alright though cause he seemed a bit older than the other ones starting medical school at the beginning, but he probably was the most tragic (3 unsuccessful wives if my memory serves?)

Yup 3 and the fact that his contract didn't get renewed was effed up. I hope I never have to go through some hospital B.S like that. But Luanda didn't turn out half bad at all.

P.S. Cheryl was hot when she was younger :D

Yup 3 and the fact that his contract didn't get renewed was effed up. I hope I never have to go through some hospital B.S like that. But Luanda didn't turn out half bad at all.

P.S. Cheryl was hot when she was younger :D

+1 I thought that same **** when I was watching that haha I was like damn I gotta get to Harvard :laugh:

+1 I thought that same **** when I was watching that haha I was like damn I gotta get to Harvard :laugh:

Lmao took the words right out of my mouth. You would think Harvard med girls aren't too attractive, but when I first saw Luanda and Cheryl :love::love:. Cute and smart is double points in my book.

Hey guys,

I don't know about you but I have been having a tough time this week. I almost hit a pedestrian yesterday (damn Howard kids, I hate summer time.) And when i said almost hit, I banged my head braking so hard to avoid hitting this fool running across four lanes of traffic while I have a green light. Now my anxiety is through the roof and I can't focus on doing my homework or anything else for that matter. Ugggh Then I tried to quit my job today, giving 1-2 months notice though so I can train my replacement. And instead I got guilt tripped (which ended in tears...) and offered 3 weeks of vacation this summer, plus decrease in hours for the same pay. Now I don't know what to do. I wanted to quit so I have more time for school and I would find some type of part time job. But the increased benefits has me really thinking, I do have a family to support... /end rant.

Hey guys,

I don't know about you but I have been having a tough time this week. I almost hit a pedestrian yesterday (damn Howard kids, I hate summer time.) And when i said almost hit, I banged my head braking so hard to avoid hitting this fool running across four lanes of traffic while I have a green light. Now my anxiety is through the roof and I can't focus on doing my homework or anything else for that matter. Ugggh Then I tried to quit my job today, giving 1-2 months notice though so I can train my replacement. And instead I got guilt tripped (which ended in tears...) and offered 3 weeks of vacation this summer, plus decrease in hours for the same pay. Now I don't know what to do. I wanted to quit so I have more time for school and I would find some type of part time job. But the increased benefits has me really thinking, I do have a family to support... /end rant.

Sorry to hear you're shaken up. I hate when people impatiently walk across the street when they see that there's obviously traffic coming.

What is your job? The decrease in hours doesn't free you up more?

Hey guys,

Sorry to hear as well, we all have those days/weeks were s*** just isn't going right. But isn't a decrease in hours and 3 weeks vacation time a good thing?

Hey guys,

I'm sorry :( that is straight up sh*tty ...do you need the job for a letter of recommendation or a reference? They shouldn't coerce you like that...I hate when employers do that

Sorry to hear you're shaken up. I hate when people impatiently walk across the street when they see that there's obviously traffic coming.

As someone from the northeast I pride myself on my ability to move across incoming traffic without being hit, but you can't just walk out in the damn street and think you won't get hit...time it up or something

Hey guys,

I swear no one in DC pays any attention to oncoming traffic. If you really thought out the pros/cons and decided it was best for you/family to quit, I would quit. I worked full time while going to school and it cost my GPA/MCAT scores. At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you and your family.

I want to join this social! :D

MCAT is over and all I'm thinking is, "TIME FOR A RETAKE!" I guess I should wait for my scores before I make a decision. :oops:

Hey guys,

Sounds like an intense week. :thumbdown: Were your hours decreased by much, or was it not enough to make a difference? Hopefully you can make a decision you'll be happy with.

Big Changes? No. My life is MCAT, research, and finals as well with the addition of EMS. (AAAAAAAAH)

MCAT? Not so much. Sadly, I'm going to have to put that on hold for now. I'll have a solid 6 1/2 weeks in the summer before my June 20th test.

Im planning on June 20th as well but waiting my FAP application to go through; everything probably will be full by then!

I am torn between reviewing and doing practice questions,,,everyone says just do practice questions but if you get everything wrong because you dont know material well then what the heck? seems like ill never see progress.

anyone take GRE ? i guess its pretty easy?! need it for SMPs

when i get some down time im going to check out doctor diaries =D

too bad i dont have cable to watch that bravo show :laugh:

Hey guys,

wow they must really want you to stay, decreased hours for same pay?? hmm!

Im planning on June 20th as well but waiting my FAP application to go through; everything probably will be full by then!

I am torn between reviewing and doing practice questions,,,everyone says just do practice questions but if you get everything wrong because you dont know material well then what the heck? seems like ill never see progress.

when i get some down time im going to check out doctor diaries =D

too bad i dont have cable to watch that bravo show :laugh:

I'm with you. I did a diagnostic exam with one of the AAMC practice tests to get an idea of where I am at and get a a feel for the questions. Right now I feel more comfortable just focusing on content review and the practice questions in each chapter. Once I make significant progress in my content review I will proceed to taking practice tests...(May The Lord be with me, this test scares the crap out of me! Haha)

And what Bravo show are you referring to?

Ahhhhh this thread was such a good idea!! I'm excited :D I'd love to be able to network and have some of you as my future classmates :)

I'm with you. I did a diagnostic exam with one of the AAMC practice tests to get an idea of where I am at and get a a feel for the questions. Right now I feel more comfortable just focusing on content review and the practice questions in each chapter. Once I make significant progress in my content review I will proceed to taking practice tests...(May The Lord be with me, this test scares the crap out of me! Haha)

And what Bravo show are you referring to?

I'm sorry to hear about your terrible week :( Are you graduating this may though? Because if you are, then I saw screw your job, you have to do whats best for you don't let other people control your life! If you're graduating then it is very likely you can land a much better paying job once you have a bachelors degree in hand.

Just make sure you are definitely doing what is best for YOU. So if the decrease in hours and vacation time is a better option then go with it, but don't go with it just because you want to make your employers happy.

GRE was suuuuuuper easy (Idunno how your math is)...I scored 90+ percentile in all 3 categories and it's part of the reason why I got my graduate fellowship that I'm on...and honestly I studied baaaaarely...reviewed some vocab words and tried to remember how factorials work lol

**bear

What is your job? The decrease in hours doesn't free you up more?
Prefer not to say what exactly my job is because of anonymity and all... but to put it vaguely I work in consulting.

Sorry to hear as well, we all have those days/weeks were s*** just isn't going right. But isn't a decrease in hours and 3 weeks vacation time a good thing?

It is a good thing, I'm worried that I'll still be stretching myself thin I work at least 10/hrs overtime every single week, so a decrease in hours helps but it still may be full-time.

I'm sorry :( that is straight up sh*tty ...do you need the job for a letter of recommendation or a reference? They shouldn't coerce you like that...I hate when employers do that

As someone from the northeast I pride myself on my ability to move across incoming traffic without being hit, but you can't just walk out in the damn street and think you won't get hit...time it up or something

I don't need the job for reference or recommendation, it's pretty much income alone. I do meet amazing people through my job (congressman, health policy legislators, doctors etc), but other than that it will be of no use in med school apps.

I swear no one in DC pays any attention to oncoming traffic. If you really thought out the pros/cons and decided it was best for you/family to quit, I would quit. I worked full time while going to school and it cost my GPA/MCAT scores. At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you and your family.

IKR, everyday DC traffic gets on my nerves, and I've had people almost hit my car a million times, but I have never came close to ever hitting an actual person, I was scared to death honestly and can't stop thinking what if I had look down for a second. I usually maneuver my way through DC but today and yesterday I have been so overly cautious (and slow).

wow they must really want you to stay, decreased hours for same pay?? hmm!
I am very valuable to them, I work with their clients, and bring in more by reference because of my relationships with clients. This summer I am supposed to bring in a new contract that would be VERY beneficial to say the least, so they really want me to stay.

I'm sorry to hear about your terrible week :( Are you graduating this may though? Because if you are, then I saw screw your job, you have to do whats best for you don't let other people control your life! If you're graduating then it is very likely you can land a much better paying job once you have a bachelors degree in hand.

Just make sure you are definitely doing what is best for YOU. So if the decrease in hours and vacation time is a better option then go with it, but don't go with it just because you want to make your employers happy.

The problem right now is I really do not know what truly is the best thing. Of course money is awesome but I do not want to sacrifice my future in anyway for more money now.

So I think I will stay through the summer, and if it works with my fall schedule I will stay, if I start feeling too pressured I will quit. They agreed to this, and to move my hours as much as possible around my classes so I can come in later than usual and leave early if needed to. They also agreed to void my 4 weeks notice in my contract this fall so I can leave, with my severance, immediately if I have to.

I'll give it a try, I hope it works, if not, school is my priority.

Lmao took the words right out of my mouth. You would think Harvard med girls aren't too attractive, but when I first saw Luanda and Cheryl :love::love:. Cute and smart is double points in my book.

I'm assuming by your avatar that you're a fan of Mr. Testafaye...I've been listening to him for a minute, I def dig on the alternative R&B

You should peep this dude Sohn (https://soundcloud.com/sohnmusic) I kinda got the same feeling when I first heard him as i did with the weeknd, not because they have similar sounds, but because they both are genre-bending and unique...he's a bit more electronica/r&b mix tho

I'm assuming by your avatar that you're a fan of Mr. Testafaye...I've been listening to him for a minute, I def dig on the alternative R&B

You should peep this dude Sohn (https://soundcloud.com/sohnmusic) I kinda got the same feeling when I first heard him as i did with the weeknd, not because they have similar sounds, but because they both are genre-bending and unique...he's a bit more electronica/r&b mix tho
Def a big fan of alternative R&B. Just checked out Sohn's music. It's pretty good! Will definitely add it to my collections. You should check out How to dress well and James Blake, similar styles to the weeknd, minus the coked up party girls lol.

Def a big fan of alternative R&B. Just checked out Sohn's music. It's pretty good! Will definitely add it to my collections. You should check out How to dress well and James Blake, similar styles to the weeknd, minus the coked up party girls lol.

Oh **** we're about to go into a hipster-off with music :laugh:...I dig James Blake (found him from listening to Jai Paul, people seem to relate them a lot)...I have never heard How to Dress Well...I'm feeling what I've found so far tho...just added him to my "The Weeknd" Pandora station :laugh:

And wtf is music without the coked up party girls? lol

The problem right now is I really do not know what truly is the best thing. Of course money is awesome but I do not want to sacrifice my future in anyway for more money now.

So I think I will stay through the summer, and if it works with my fall schedule I will stay, if I start feeling too pressured I will quit. They agreed to this, and to move my hours as much as possible around my classes so I can come in later than usual and leave early if needed to. They also agreed to void my 4 weeks notice in my contract this fall so I can leave, with my severance, immediately if I have to.

I'll give it a try, I hope it works, if not, school is my priority.

Sounds like a good plan to me! :thumbup:

Oh **** we're about to go into a hipster-off with music :laugh:...I dig James Blake (found him from listening to Jai Paul, people seem to relate them a lot)...I have never heard How to Dress Well...I'm feeling what I've found so far tho...just added him to my "The Weeknd" Pandora station :laugh:

And wtf is music without the coked up party girls? lol

I'm just referring to lyrical content, either way all great artist. Thanks again for Sohn. This guy is jamming.

I'm just referring to lyrical content, either way all great artist. Thanks again for Sohn. This guy is jamming.

lol I knew what you meant...I was just being stupid because the criticism most people seem to have with the weeknd is that his lyrics are very one dimensional

lol I knew what you meant...I was just being stupid because the criticism most people seem to have with the weeknd is that his lyrics are very one dimensional

:oops: lol. Well I feel like people are right and wrong. Each album(mixtape) has a theme to it so I could see how people could come to that conclusion. Look at House of Balloons, Girls, drugs, money and more girls. One of my favorite mixtape of all time btw.

I haven't heard any music from any of the above.... I'm not really a music person. Everyone always tells me how strange that is. I only listen to music in the car, and it's just whatever is playing.

Just look it up. It looks kind've interesting. I've watched just about every medicine related drama so I just may have to check this out.
That show is not a medicine related drama, it's a cat fight reality show. AA women acting like teenage girls and one opinion bring themselves and their husbands down. It's simply embarrassing, but all bravo seems to produce.

I'm a huge music fan, I've heard of The Weeknd and How To Dress Well (not really a fan of the lo-fi R&B but he's cool). I have all The Weeknd's mixtapes. I didn't appreciate the shade he threw at The-Dream but I still like him :p

Speaking of JaI Paul, someone actually illegally leaked his LP this week. It's not bad has a lot of short intros. Has a really good mastered version of the song 'Jasmine' which was a popular demo last year.