2012-2013 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have the US News data for how many students are accepted to Stanford? I know the MSAR has last year's data of 86 matriculated from 434 interviewed, but I'm wondering how many actually get accepted. I've seen the desired stats posted in other threads. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody have the US News data for how many students are accepted to Stanford? I know the MSAR has last year's data of 86 matriculated from 434 interviewed, but I'm wondering how many actually get accepted. I've seen the desired stats posted in other threads. Thanks!

Out of 434 interviewed, 192 were accepted last year.

Checked my PO Box for the first time in two weeks to find my rejection letter stamped Sept 24th... :( Oh well, can't say I wasn't expecting it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I haven't gotten anything yet either. Complete mid July. Either my parents are lying to me about not receiving anything in the mail from Stanford or the rejection letter hasn't come yet =) .... or I'm still in the running hahaha.

Nothing here, complete in July. My stats are very low for stanford

Yeah, I haven't gotten anything yet either. Complete mid July. Either my parents are lying to me about not receiving anything in the mail from Stanford or the rejection letter hasn't come yet =) .... or I'm still in the running hahaha.

I'm thinking the same!

My primary application was submitted to Stanford on 27th September but I didn't receive any secondary application request as of yet.
My GPA 3.85 , MCAT 34
but it is saying that secondary is sent to all applicants. so what happened to mine? :eek:

My primary application was submitted to Stanford on 27th September but I didn't receive any secondary application request as of yet.
My GPA 3.85 , MCAT 34
but it is saying that secondary is sent to all applicants. so what happened to mine? :eek:

It hasn't been that long yet, sometimes it takes a while. I'd wait another week or two.

It hasn't been that long yet, sometimes it takes a while. I'd wait another week or two.
thanks for your response,,, how long did it take for you?
because usually it is simultaneously for other schools so i thought it is the same for Stanford as they don't screen applicants prior to secondary application

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your response,,, how long did it take for you?
because usually it is simultaneously for other schools so i thought it is the same for Stanford as they don't screen applicants prior to secondary application

mine was about a week to get it after verification.

Long-time lurker, getting ready for my MMI!!!! OMGoshhh!!! <3 Stanford <3

How have y'all been prepping for the MMI? Any particular books/articles/websites you're using? Do they ask about knowledge of current international events (or knowledge about anything) or is it like problem solving and things you can reason out on the spot?? Thanks SDN!!! <3

Last edited:
Tots, if you see this post, would you mind including your impression of Stanford on MDApplicants? The impressions that you have written there are so helpful!

Interview invite this morning!!!!!

Number one choice so spent my morning crying on the phone to all of my relatives. Most of them thought I had been rejected since I could hardly stammer it out :) . I thought that my MCAT and non-trad status would have held me back here. I sincerely send my best vibes in the direction of everyone else who is still waiting. Best of luck to all! :luck:

Complete 8/4. MCAT: low 30s. GPA: 3.7-3.9

Interview invite this morning!!!!!

Number one choice so spent my morning crying on the phone to all of my relatives. Most of them thought I had been rejected since I could hardly stammer it out :) . I thought that my MCAT and non-trad status would have held me back here. I sincerely send my best vibes in the direction of everyone else who is still waiting. Best of luck to all! :luck:

Complete 8/4. MCAT: low 30s. GPA: 3.7-3.9

When were you complete?

EDIT: My bad, for some reason i didn't see that part.

Last edited:
complete since mid July...no rejection yet. Assume silent rejection?? =(

Anyone know what Stanford's interview dates are? Or at least what day of the week they hold them on?

I'm considering sending an in the area email, but 1) apparently they don't care, and 2) I don't know if they're even holding interviews the days that I'm in Cali.

Anyone know what Stanford's interview dates are? Or at least what day of the week they hold them on?

I'm considering sending an in the area email, but 1) apparently they don't care, and 2) I don't know if they're even holding interviews the days that I'm in Cali.
Are people hearing back from the mstp program?

I remember seeing October 17 and 31 as open dates; at the time there were no November dates available.

Last edited:

Not true, you should send one! I sent an in the area and got an invite the next day with my preferred day (which wasnt on the calendar).

Long-time lurker, getting ready for my MMI in a few weeks!!!! OMGoshhh!!! <3 Stanford <3

How have y'all been prepping for the MMI? Any particular books/articles/websites you're using? Do they ask about knowledge of current international events (or knowledge about anything) or is it like problem solving and things you can reason out on the spot?? Thanks SDN!!! <3

I am interviewing here soon and was by mistake sent a survey you are supposed to get post-interview. It asked what resources you used to prepare for the MMI (the ones they suggested included SDN, Stanford's website, other schools websites). I was hoping to find more information on this thread, but if anyone knows any good resources please post them!

So I was fed up with the silent treatment and took the initiative to inquire as to the status of my application. Turns out that although my app has been like complete complete complete since mid July, it is ONLY NOW awaiting review. What?? 3 months seriously. I understand West coast Cali laid-backedness but come on O_O

But not rejected yet!! :)

So I was fed up with the silent treatment and took the initiative to inquire as to the status of my application. Turns out that although my app has been like complete complete complete since mid July, it is ONLY NOW awaiting review. What?? 3 months seriously. I understand West coast Cali laid-backedness but come on O_O

Wow, still working on mid-July applications?

Guess I'll start hibernating ;)

phew, that makes me feel better. Complete early august and it's been silent here too. maybe I'll call to ask about my application later this week as well...

Got my rejection in the mail yesterday (October 15th), but the letter was dated September 19th. I guess I was part of that large batch of rejections a few weeks ago. Just kinda strange that it took a month to reach me...

Got my rejection in the mail yesterday (October 15th), but the letter was dated September 19th. I guess I was part of that large batch of rejections a few weeks ago. Just kinda strange that it took a month to reach me...

have any Canadians received rejection letters yet?

I am interviewing here soon and was by mistake sent a survey you are supposed to get post-interview. It asked what resources you used to prepare for the MMI (the ones they suggested included SDN, Stanford's website, other schools websites). I was hoping to find more information on this thread, but if anyone knows any good resources please post them!
Got this list from my college career center. Too good not to share. Best wishes to all!

Wikipedia:
Multiple mini interview

Student Doctor Network:
The Multiple Mini-Interview for Medical School Admissions: What to Expect and How to Prepare &#8211; By Carleen Eaton, M.D.

Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine at McMaster University:
Manual for Interviewers &#8211; Includes instructions on how to evaluate two sample scenarios and a rubric.

Medical Education:
Ten MMI scenarios in the appendix (p. 325) of this article: "An admissions objective structured clinical examination (OSCE): the multiple mini-interview" by Kevin W. Eva, Jack Rosenfeld, Harold I. Reiter, & Geoffrey R. Norman in Medical Education 2004; 38: 314-326.

McMaster University:
A list of 9 MMI scenarios used by McMaster University in Spring 2002. See Appendix (p. 609) - The section "The Multiple Mini-Interview" has qualities admissions committees use to select medical school applicants. "The Relationship between Interviewers' Characteristics and Ratings Assigned during a Multiple Mini-Interview" by Kevin W. Eva, Harold I. Reiter, Jack Rosenfeld, & Geoffrey R. Norman in Academic Medicine 2004; 79: 602-609.

University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine, School of Physical Therapy:
Practice MMI Questions

Academic Medicine:
Sample MMI question, from Appendix (p. 359), includes a description of what the question is designed to convey, and prompt questions. "Validating a multiple mini-interview questions bank assessing entry-level reasoning skills in candidates for graduate-entry medicine and dentistry programmes" by Chris Roberts, Nathan Zoanetti, & Imogene Rothnie in Academic Medicine 2009, 43: 350-359.
Note: Sorry, looks like login is required. so not everyone will have access. However, the abstract is publicly viewable here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2923.2009.03292.x/abstract

University of Calgary Medical School:
Nine MMI scenarios - Includes probing questions associated with each scenario.

University of Calgary Medical School:
Video of a response to a sample MMI Interview question &#8211; from
General MMI information from the University of Calgary Medical School

Medical Education:
"Factors affecting the utility of the multiple mini-interview in selecting candidates for graduate-entry medical school" by Chris Roberts, Merrilyn Walton, Imogene Rothnie, Jim Crossley, Patricia Lyon, Koshila Kumar, David Tiller in Medical Education 2008, 42: 396-404. - Article discusses key qualities physicians should share from a variety of sources. This table may help you understand the scenarios and think about what to include in your responses.

The Department of Physical Therapy in the School of Medical Rehabilitation at the University of Manitoba:
Descriptions of the types of stations (discussion, acting, collaboration, and written) and suggestions for responding can be found on slides 11-16 - PowerPoint on MMI.

UC Davis:
Study shows that MMI interview process favors extroverts

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I was wondering, can any current students at Stanford or those who interviewed comment on Stanford's clinical experience?

I know that they are currently building two new hospitals. But would this mean that the clinical experience for our entering year, class of 2017, suffer?

Interview invite just now!!! Complete 7/23.

Wow they truly are behind many other schools with IIs then if you were complete in July. I haven't received a rejection yet, and I was complete early August. A GLIMMER OF HOPE! :luck: :xf:

Honored to be interviewing here!! Stanford has phenomenal facilities and an excellent program!

Complete 7/23

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.