2012-2013 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to withdraw my application and interview for this Friday, March 8th. Hope one of you still waiting for an II gets the spot!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1, I have a few questions I'd love to ask some current students.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Read through the thread. I (current 4th year) and other current students have posted on this thread offering to people to PM us with any questions you might have.

Do any of the first years live in chapin apartments? because from i understand, the chapin is across street from the hospital and it would be really convenient for students. Do you know if any of them have a single room? Thanks

Read through the thread. I (current 4th year) and other current students have posted on this thread offering to people to PM us with any questions you might have.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Most of my questions have been answered except for a few students were unsure of (you guys have been awesome) , but I noticed that the FB pages sometimes offer a more in depth look into the personality of the class

Does anyone remember if there was a specific timeline given for post-interview decisions? From here it looks like it varies a LOT, from a few weeks to a few months.

It's been about 4wks since I interviewed- haven't heard anything yet.

Does anyone remember if there was a specific timeline given for post-interview decisions? From here it looks like it varies a LOT, from a few weeks to a few months.

It's been about 4wks since I interviewed- haven't heard anything yet.

4 weeks as of tomorrow for me too. I remember them saying pretty definitely about 6 weeks, but here's hoping that no news isn't bad news!

At interview day they said 3-6 weeks because the ADCOM literally reads ever single word in your app. It takes them longer to decide on some people. The fastest turn around I've seen on this forum was 2 weeks, and I've seen many people hear back well after 6 weeks.

4 weeks as of tomorrow for me too. I remember them saying pretty definitely about 6 weeks, but here's hoping that no news isn't bad news!

At interview day they said 3-6 weeks because the ADCOM literally reads ever single word in your app. It takes them longer to decide on some people. The fastest turn around I've seen on this forum was 2 weeks, and I've seen many people hear back well after 6 weeks.

thanks guys! best of luck to you, and to everyone else still waiting!!

Hi all, I have an interview soon - can anyone comment on how interviews are? Laid back or not? How's interview day as a whole?

Hi all, I have an interview soon - can anyone comment on how interviews are? Laid back or not? How's interview day as a whole?

Mine were both pretty laid back, and it seemed like that was the experience of mostly everyone else I talked to also. There are two interviews, each around 45min (give or take like 15min). I had 2 faculty interviews, but some people had 1 faculty, 1 student. The questions were fairly standard I think- no real curveballs- and the tone was pretty conversational.

The rest of the day was also fairly standard as far as interview days go: tour, lunch, and info sessions. Everyone-- students, admin, fellow interviewees-- was really friendly and down to earth, and I enjoyed the day.

Just make sure you allow plenty of time for transportation, especially if you're coming in from the LIRR and/or are slightly directionally challenged like me, since it's a big campus and can take some time to get around.

Good luck, and enjoy!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine were both pretty laid back, and it seemed like that was the experience of mostly everyone else I talked to also. There are two interviews, each around 45min (give or take like 15min). I had 2 faculty interviews, but some people had 1 faculty, 1 student. The questions were fairly standard I think- no real curveballs- and the tone was pretty conversational.

The rest of the day was also fairly standard as far as interview days go: tour, lunch, and info sessions. Everyone-- students, admin, fellow interviewees-- was really friendly and down to earth, and I enjoyed the day.

Just make sure you allow plenty of time for transportation, especially if you're coming in from the LIRR and/or are slightly directionally challenged like me, since it's a big campus and can take some time to get around.

Good luck, and enjoy!!

Thank you so much for your help!!! I am definitely directionally challenged, too!
:luck:

Does anyone know when they are likely to send out another wave of post-interview decisions?

I'm sorry if this was asked already. Can anyone share whether Stony Brook has indeed switched to a P/F or H/P/F grading system?

Hey Guys!

Im a California resident. Hispanic URM with avg stats. 3.7GPA, 30MCAT.
I was wondering more or less how OOS friendly the school is to accept applicant. Are the OOS acceptances usually neighboring states or people with strong state ties?
Like i mentioned, im from CA, with ZERO state ties. trying to compile my list of schools for the 2013-2014 cycle. Sounds like an awesome university I would love to apply, but also don't want to waste money if I have a very slim chance.

Thank you for your help and Honesty. Congrats to everyone who got in here!

Hey Guys!

Im a California resident. Hispanic URM with avg stats. 3.7GPA, 30MCAT.
I was wondering more or less how OOS friendly the school is to accept applicant. Are the OOS acceptances usually neighboring states or people with strong state ties?
Like i mentioned, im from CA, with ZERO state ties. trying to compile my list of schools for the 2013-2014 cycle. Sounds like an awesome university I would love to apply, but also don't want to waste money if I have a very slim chance.

Thank you for your help and Honesty. Congrats to everyone who got in here!

I believe most of their applicants are IS, but they seem to take a fair share of OOS. Another factor to consider is cost of attendance. Tuition for IS is about 31k while OOS tuition is 56k.

I believe most of their applicants are IS, but they seem to take a fair share of OOS. Another factor to consider is cost of attendance. Tuition for IS is about 31k while OOS tuition is 56k.
SB doesnt give much preference, if any, to instate students. Last years entering class had a fair amount of people from CA. Plus SB let's out of state students become residents after their first year and pay instate tuition. Make sure you pay attention to tuition policies when compiling a list.

A good idea for you is to purchase the online version of MSAR from AAMC. I thinks it's $15 and it will give you GPAs MCATs, class demographics, and a description of selection criteria. Whether state schools give preference to instate applicants is also convered.

SB doesnt give much preference, if any, to instate students. Last years entering class had a fair amount of people from CA. Plus SB let's out of state students become residents after their first year and pay instate tuition. Make sure you pay attention to tuition policies when compiling a list.

A good idea for you is to purchase the online version of MSAR from AAMC. I thinks it's $15 and it will give you GPAs MCATs, class demographics, and a description of selection criteria. Whether state schools give preference to instate applicants is also convered.

Thank you so much guys for the insight!

How is the area around there guys? The community the campus environment .? What is it like to live there? :)

How is the area around there guys? The community the campus environment .? What is it like to live there? :)

The area is miserable. It's in the middle of nowhere. You need a car if you want to go anywhere. The undergrad college is consistently in Princeton Review's top 10 "most depressed students" college list which gives you an idea of what it's like

As with most of these thing, it is largely dependent on your personality. SB is in a very desirable part of LI for families, it is for this reason for that many students rank SBU programs first for residency, and why many of the faculty members were students themselves. It's no thriving city with culture and a varied night life. It is near the sound (port Jeff is pretty scenic, and fire island (beach) is within a half hour. People often quote that the city is 2 hours away, for mid town that may be true at a high traffic time- for brooklyn/queens who each have their own draw it is closer / easier.
Essentially, it's a quiet scenic suburb that is commutable to NYC (but not an easy one). There is a few neighborhoods that cater to SBU as far as nightlife nearby. In the summer there is A Lot more to do (the beach communities come alive)
Also, 45 students get to ballot for 3rd year in/near NYC. If I end up at Stony I would choose to stay at main campus because I like the suburbs, but they aren't for everyone.

Source:visited my cousin when she was a student at the UG.

Last edited:
At our interview they said about 45 students get to do their rotations somewhere close to NYC. I forgot the hospital system name. I guess there is a lottery of some sort, and usually more students apply than spots.

Any opinions about sending out a letter of intent while waiting for the decision post interview?

I know its going to come any day now, but I'm nervous as hell waiting here since this is one of two schools I have yet to hear back from for this year.

The area is miserable. It's in the middle of nowhere. You need a car if you want to go anywhere. The undergrad college is consistently in Princeton Review's top 10 "most depressed students" college list which gives you an idea of what it's like

As a fourth year student, saying Stony Brook is "miserable" is just plain arrogant. Some of the nicest and even most affluent areas of Long Island are within 10-20 minutes of campus. The campus itself is pretty isolated, but that's due to it's large size and large amount of property. But to characterize both the area and school so poorly is an unbelievable injustice to the school I've spent nearly four years at. Please do not listen to this person because he/she has no idea what they're talking about.

As a fourth year student, saying Stony Brook is "miserable" is just plain arrogant. Some of the nicest and even most affluent areas of Long Island are within 10-20 minutes of campus. The campus itself is pretty isolated, but that's due to it's large size and large amount of property. But to characterize both the area and school so poorly is an unbelievable injustice to the school I've spent nearly four years at. Please do not listen to this person because he/she has no idea what they're talking about.

Very true, you are just shy of the Hamptons in stony Brook, sound beaches literally a block away, ocean front a half hour away, and mid town NYC 90 minutes via LIRR. If you have a car and know traffic patterns you can be in Brooklyn in an hour easy(there is a ton to do in Brooklyn and it's easier to get to for people on the island). I get its not a city, but as far as suburbs go, it's pretty nice. Plus it's med school, I think people over stress the importance of night life, you would know better though as a M4. To me, safe, quiet, affordability, nice patient population, and a campus with nice amenities (gym, pool, etc) matters more. Also, if it's a sought after local for attendings (which LI most definitely is) you will get killer clinical faculty. Also, and I know this isn't for everyone, but there is AWESOME fishing.

Last edited:
Well said.

Good luck to you and your classmates for match week!

As a state-funded institution, Stony Brook does give preference to in-state applicants. According to the MSAR, IS and OOS applications were roughly the same (about 2100-2200) but they interviewed 503 IS applicants and only 186 OOS applicants. Furthermore, there are roughly 4x as many IS matriculated students as there are OOS matriculated students.

As a state-funded institution, Stony Brook does give preference to in-state applicants. According to the MSAR, IS and OOS applications were roughly the same (about 2100-2200) but they interviewed 503 IS applicants and only 186 OOS applicants. Furthermore, there are roughly 4x as many IS matriculated students as there are OOS matriculated students.
Well New Yorkers may be 4x smarter than the OOS applicants. Also realize that SB is OOS friendly compared to many other state schools which may not even consider OOS applicants. Make sure you read the description of selection criteria in MSAR in addition to looking at the numbers.

Well New Yorkers may be 4x smarter than the OOS applicants. Also realize that SB is OOS friendly compared to many other state schools which may not even consider OOS applicants. Make sure you read the description of selection criteria in MSAR in addition to looking at the numbers.

It was never a question of being "friendly" to OOS applicants. You claimed SB gives little to no preference to IS applicants. I completely disagree with that statement. While SB may be friendly to OOS applicants, that doesn't mean they can't give preference to IS applicants. What needs to be known are the average and median stats for the OOS and IS applicants. Reading up on selection criteria does nothing to further your claim, as the criteria only cover IS and OOS applicants who were accepted and dies not differentiate between the two groups. You are right that the numbers may suggest that IS applicants are 4x "smarter" (a better term would be qualified) than OOS applicants. Given the fact that Stony Brook is a state institution, I suspect it is more probable that the difference in numbers is due to state preference and not a major difference in qualifications between the two groups.

The question is whether she should apply based on her stats and being out of state. The answer is still yes.

Last edited:
To LImed and any other 4th years that have been helping us out on this thread, congrats on match day Friday! I read that SBU that it was a 100% match rate this year? Is that true? I'm sure you will all be out enjoying yourselves and celebrating over the weekend. Reports are saying this year's match was brutal, so for everyone to have matched is really outstanding, that means you must have received some great advising from your mentors.

When the school puts the match list together it'd be great if you could post it or PM it! I hope you all got one of your top choices!

I have the match list but I don't know how/if I can upload files here. It's a PDF image so I can't copy and paste the text, and it's in a secured Dropbox so I can't link to it. Anyhow, if you know how to upload it or want me to email or Dropbox share you a copy pm me and I will send it.

I mean, not that the undergrad campus says anything about the medical school, but: http://www.policymic.com/articles/28975/4-top-colleges-just-as-great-as-the-ivy-league-schools

I firmly believe that the most important thing about a medical school for being happy is the people you spend your time with, not where you are. I'm OOS so I wish I could be closer to family, but I have some awesome classmates and that makes all the difference. Its nothing unique to Stony Brook by any means, but we just had a lecture that mentioned happiness and location has very little to do with it.

OK so I couldn't figure out how to post the 2013 match list as a file here, so I used text recognition on the PDF and typed in the rest, hopefully I didnt make mistakes. Here it is:

SITE PROGRAM
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Medicine-Preliminary
Stony Brook Teach Hasps-NY Dermatology
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State-PA Anesthesiology
UPMC Medical Education-PA Pediatrics
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY Medicine-Preliminary
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY Radiology-Diagnostic
NYU School Of Medicine Anesthesiology
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Anesthesiology
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Anesthesiology
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY Emergency Medicine
NYP Hasp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Neurology
Albany Medical Center-NY Emergency Medicine
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Radiation-Oncology
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Emergency Medicine
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Transitionai!St Raphael
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Radiology-Diagnostic
Baystate Med Ctr -MA General Surgery
. Rush University Med Ctr-IL Pediatrics
U Iowa Hasps and Clinics Otolaryngology/Research
Miami Childrens Hosp-FL Pediatrics
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas General Surgery
Stamford Hospitai/Columbia-CT General Surgery
UC San Francisco-CA Plastic Surgery
Stony Brook Teach Hasps-NY Internal Medicine
UPMC Medical Education-PA Medicine-Preliminary
UPMC Medical Education-PA Radiology-Diagnostic
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Obstetrics-Gynecology
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Pathology
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Surgery-Preliminary
SUNY Upstate Med University Otolaryngology
U Connecticut School of Medicine Medicine-Primary
U Southern California Neurological Surgery
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Psychiatry
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Internal Medicine
Rhode Island Hasp/Brown Univ General Surgery
NYU School Of Medicine Emergency Medicine
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Internal Medicine
UPMC Medical Education-PA Emergency Medicine
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Pediatrics
U Southern California Thoracic Surgery
NYMC-Westchester Med Ctr-NY Medicine-Preliminary
NYMC-Westchester Med Ctr-NY Radiology-Diagnostic
lcahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY Surgery-Preliminary
Mount Sinai Medical Center-NY Urology
U Massachusetts Med School EM
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Peds
lcahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY Anesthesia
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY IM
NYU School Of Medicine IM
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY EM
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY EM
U Colorado SOM-Denver Gen Surg
NY Hosp Med Ctr Queens Transitional
Maimonides Med Ctr-NY Rad-Diagnostic
Case Western/Univ Hosps Case Med Ctr-OH IM/Primary care
Reading Hospital Med Ctr-PA Transitional
lcahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY Rad-Diagnostic
NYMC-Richmond Univ Med Ctr-NY Med-Prelim
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Dermatology
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY OB-GYN
NYP Hasp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Peds
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Surgery-Prelim
Maimonides Med Ctr-NY Rad-Diagnostic
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY IM
UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark IM
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY Med-prelim
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Rad-diagnostic
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY Peds
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY IM
U Colorado SOM-Denver Psych
lcahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY EM
UCLA Medical Center-CA Anesth
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Anesth
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Anesth
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY Med-Prelim
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY Rad-Diagnostic
Oregon Health & Science Univ Anesth
NYMC-Westchester Med Ctr-NY Peds
UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Piscataway IM
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY Med-Prelim
Brown University-RI Ophth
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Gen Surg
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY EM
St Lukes-Bethlehem-PA Ortho
NY Hosp Med Ctr Queens Med-Prelim
NYP Hasp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Rad-diag
NY Methodist Hospitai-NY Emergency Medicine
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Anesthesiology
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Med-Primary/Giobal PC
Harvard Longwood Psych-MA Psychiatry
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Internal Medicine
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Psychiatry
Monmouth Medical Ctr-NJ Orthopaedic Surgery
Albert Einstein Med Ctr-PA Emergency Medicine
Baylor Coli Med-Houston-TX Internal Medicine
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL Pediatrics/Public Policy
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Orthopaedic Surgery
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Surgery-Preliminary
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Urology
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Medicine-Pediatrics
Lenox Hill Hospitai-NY Radiology-Diagnostic
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY Internal Medicine
McGill University-Quebec Hosp, CA Internal Medicine
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Surgery-Preliminary
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Urology
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Radiology-Diagnostic
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY Internal Medicine
University Hosp-Cincinnati-OH Emergency Medicine
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Medicine-Primary
NY Hosp Med Ctr-Queens Surgery-Preliminary
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Radiology-Diagnostic
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Pathology
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Internal Medicine
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Pediatrics
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Internal Medicine
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Pediatrics
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Emergency Medicine
U Southern California Radiology-Diagnostic
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY General Surgery
U Washington Affil Hosp Surgery-Preliminary
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Anesthesiology/Research
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Internal Medicine
Stamford Hospitai/Columbia-CT Medicine-Preliminary
Schwab Rehab Hosp-IL Phys Medicine & Rehab
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY Emergency Medicine
Med Coli Wisconsin Affil Hosps Internal Medicine
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY Med-Prelim
lcahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY Derm
UPMC Medical Education-PA Peds
UPMC Hamot Med Ctr-PA Ortho
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY Peds
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY OB-Gyn
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA OB-Gyn
Loma Linda University-CA Med-Peds
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Peds
Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr-NY EM
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY IM
NYMC-Westchester Med Ctr-NY Gen Surg
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY EM
UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark IM
Santa Clara Valley Med Ctr-CA IM
Cleveland Clinic Fdn-OH IM
NYP Hasp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY Pathology
Hosp of the Univ of PA Ortho/Clin-5 yr

OK so I couldn't figure out how to post the 2013 match list as a file here, so I used text recognition on the PDF and typed in the rest, hopefully I didnt make mistakes. Here it is:

that is completely indecipherable. i'm going to clean it up and repost. can you send me the PDF ...i only have a hard copy and would like to have an electronic one

Anesthesiology
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State-PA
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD
lcahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY
NYU School Of Medicine
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Stanford Univ Progs-CA
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY
UCLA Medical Center-CA

Dermatology

Emergency Medicine
Albany Medical Center-NY
Albert Einstein Med Ctr-PA
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY
Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr-NY
NY Methodist Hospitai-NY
NYU School Of Medicine
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
U Massachusetts Med School
University Hosp-Cincinnati-OH
UPMC Medical Education-PA
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT

ENT
SUNY Upstate Med University
U Iowa Hosps and Clinics

Internal Medicine
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Cleveland Clinic Fdn-OH
Massachusetts Gen Hosp
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN
McGill University-Quebec Hosp, CA
Med Coll Wisconsin Affil Hosps
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY
NYU School Of Medicine
Santa Clara Valley Med Ctr-CA
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham
UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark
UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark
UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Piscataway
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY

Internal Medicine - Primary Care
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Case Western/Univ Hosps Case Med Ctr-OH
Massachusetts Gen Hosp
U Connecticut School of Medicine

Internal Medicine - Pediatrics
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL
Loma Linda University-CA

Neurology
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY

OB/GYN
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY
Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY

Ophthalmology
Brown University-RI

Orthopedic Surgery
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Monmouth Medical Ctr-NJ
St Lukes-Bethlehem-PA
UPMC Hamot Med Ctr-PA

Pathology
Stanford Univ Progs-CA

Pediatrics
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY
Miami Childrens Hosp-FL
NYMC-Westchester Med Ctr-NY
Rush University Med Ctr-IL
Stanford Univ Progs-CA
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT

Physical Medicine & Rehab
Schwab Rehab Hosp-IL

Psychiatry
Harvard Longwood Psych-MA
U Colorado SOM-Denver

Radiology
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY
Lenox Hill Hospitai-NY
Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
U Southern California
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT

Radiation-Oncology
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC

Surgery - General
Baystate Med Ctr -MA
Rhode Island Hosp/Brown Univ
Stamford Hospitai/Columbia-CT
U Colorado SOM-Denver
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas

Surgery - Neurosurgery
U Southern California

Surgery - Plastics
UC San Francisco-CA

Surgery - Thoracic
U Southern California

Surgery - Preliminary

Urology
Mount Sinai Medical Center-NY
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the class of 2013 rocked it. That might be one of the strongest match lists I've seen, especially if it's true that there was a 100% match rate. People went for some competitive specialties. To me this says the mentors did a good job of advising students towards specialties they were competitive for.

Congrats everyone!

To LImed and any other 4th years that have been helping us out on this thread, congrats on match day Friday! I read that SBU that it was a 100% match rate this year? Is that true? I'm sure you will all be out enjoying yourselves and celebrating over the weekend. Reports are saying this year's match was brutal, so for everyone to have matched is really outstanding, that means you must have received some great advising from your mentors.

When the school puts the match list together it'd be great if you could post it or PM it! I hope you all got one of your top choices!

Yes, we matched all of our students, but some students (I think 2 or 3) had to find a spot via SOAP. Nevertheless, as SkinMD showed, we matched extremely well, with some of our classmates going to terrific programs and some going into very competitive fields (rad onc, neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, orthopaedics, plastics, ophtho, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if this trend continues for Stony Brook. The incoming students get stronger and stronger each year, so I would only imagine the match results getting better and better each year also. It's a great testament to the strength of Stony Brook.

At our interview they said about 45 students get to do their rotations somewhere close to NYC. I forgot the hospital system name. I guess there is a lottery of some sort, and usually more students apply than spots.

Winthrop University Hospital in Mineola, NY. It's usually competitive in terms of the amount of students interested vs. the number of available spots. You're able to do the majority of your third and fourth year rotations there except for psychiatry.

If you choose to stay at Stony Brook, then you rotate through Stony Brook Hospital and it's other affiliated clinical sites scattered throughout Long Island.

looking at the match list it seems that 2 had to SOAP

That is still really good, a few of the other schools I got into had 7-10 people unmatched, and they are really good schools. One other really good school I got in to had 10 people go unmatched (almost double the class size though), only five matched in SOAP though. I've heard similar stories from friends at a lot of different schools, so kudos to SBU.

Status
Not open for further replies.