2012-2013 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I need some advice about the Second Look Day on April 19th for Stony Brook.

Turns out I have a very important performance with my dance team that day. I committed to this performance months ago and would prefer not to have to miss it. I would be screwing over my team by not going, and they are a high priority for me.

I emailed admissions, and Nancy was nice enough to offer another day for me to visit. However, she said it would not be the same. I would go on my own and she could have me talk with a medical student, but that's about it. I would miss all the other speakers and info. from the day, and I wouldn't get to meet my possible classmates.

Now, question is, to anyone who has gone to second visit day at Stony, is it worth going to?

I am torn between Stony Brook and two other schools, so I really wanna get a good feel for the school before making a decision. But, would visiting myself on a different day and talking with a student be good enough, versus going to the second look day?

Hey guys, I need some advice about the Second Look Day on April 19th for Stony Brook.

Turns out I have a very important performance with my dance team that day. I committed to this performance months ago and would prefer not to have to miss it. I would be screwing over my team by not going, and they are a high priority for me.

I emailed admissions, and Nancy was nice enough to offer another day for me to visit. However, she said it would not be the same. I would go on my own and she could have me talk with a medical student, but that's about it. I would miss all the other speakers and info. from the day, and I wouldn't get to meet my possible classmates.

Now, question is, to anyone who has gone to second visit day at Stony, is it worth going to?

I am torn between Stony Brook and two other schools, so I really wanna get a good feel for the school before making a decision. But, would visiting myself on a different day and talking with a student be good enough, versus going to the second look day?

I wouldn't worry about missing the second visit day. They really won't tell you much that a current student couldn't and I can't imagine them going beyond what was told to you during your interview. I didn't go to the second visit and I have no regrets about it. A personal tour and Q/A with a current student, in my eyes, would actually be more beneficial than the second visit.

Does anyone know when financial aid at Stony Brook is due? I submitted my FAFSA a while ago, but there's also a couple of forms I have to fill out on the Stony Brook website. However, I haven't received any information from them about it - does anyone know anything about the financial aid process?

Does anyone know when financial aid at Stony Brook is due? I submitted my FAFSA a while ago, but there's also a couple of forms I have to fill out on the Stony Brook website. However, I haven't received any information from them about it - does anyone know anything about the financial aid process?

I remember at the interview them telling us that there wasn't a particular deadline, and that since admissions were rolling, financial aid would be rolling too. That said, they encouraged us to get it in sooner rather than later. I would call the office to confirm this though, and correct me anyone if I'm wrong on this.

It's worth it to go if you're in the area or think the visit will affect where you will attend medical school. If you're planning to most likely attend Stony Brook, don't worry about it and just keep on dancing instead.

I wouldn't worry about missing the second visit day. They really won't tell you much that a current student couldn't and I can't imagine them going beyond what was told to you during your interview. I didn't go to the second visit and I have no regrets about it. A personal tour and Q/A with a current student, in my eyes, would actually be more beneficial than the second visit.

Awesome thank you! :) I feel much better after reading your post, hopefully I can visit later in April.

It's worth it to go if you're in the area or think the visit will affect where you will attend medical school. If you're planning to most likely attend Stony Brook, don't worry about it and just keep on dancing instead.

Haha thanks. The issue is that I am having a hard time deciding between Stony Brook and some other SUNY schools so the visit might help a lot with my final decision. However, it's several hours away and conflicts with a lot of things I have that weekend. I still plan to visit though, but it will be a different day and I will probably just get to talk to a med student. Hopefully, that will be more than enough.

The issue is that I am having a hard time deciding between Stony Brook and some other SUNY schools so the visit might help a lot with my final decision.

The only other SUNY school that can compete with stony brook in terms of reputation and value is Downstate and I still think stony brook wins. Downstate gets respect from urban residency programs for being grungy and letting the med students get their hands dirty but as far as resources, support from the administration, and overall quality stony brook is significantly better.

Current MS-4 at Stony Brook - wanted to quickly share my completely biased plug for Stony.

Curriculum/Grading: Pre-Med's obsess over this - I know this because I did too. The details of any school's pre-clinical curriculum are irrelevant. They are all the same, just packaged / labeled differently. Go to the school that gives you the most amount of free time that you can use to prep for exams (especially for the USMLE Step 1 at the end of you second year), be a real person, hang out w friends, exercise, etc. The current 2nd year curriculum is designed to maximize your free time and the testing all throughout this year is given in the form of customized NBME exams (standardized, computerized exams that mimic the USMLE). This will maximize your Step 1 score. Our Step 1 AVERAGE was 234 or something like that. 30 people in our class scored 250+. The third years' AVERAGE was even higher. These numbers probably mean nothing to you but let me assure you, they are ridiculously high.

Match List: Someone made a comment in another thread that Downstate's match lists are better. I have not seen their match lists but I really doubt they are anywhere NEAR our's. People in my class placed into Hopkins, MGH, Brigham, Mt. Sinai, Brown, Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Yale, Stanford, Pitt, USC, UCLA, UCSF in specialties such as RadOnc, otolaryngology, ophtho, anestheisiology, radiology, PNMR, plastic surgery, dermatology, EM, thoracic surgery, etc, etc, etc...the list goes on and on. When I was deciding, I asked current students at Downstate why they chose to be there. Quite a few said "because this was the only place I got in." Take that for what it's worth...

Location/Fit: There is definitely something to be said about going to med school in a place that is somewhat close to your family if that's important to you. For that reason, you might choose Upstate or Buffalo if it's closer to your family. Downstate is in the "city" but remember it's NOT Manhattan. Most of your time will be spent around the school which is not really a desirable area. Your subjective sense of fit on the interview day is irrelevant. You will find your group and make friends no matter where you go - I PROMISE you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only other SUNY school that can compete with stony brook in terms of reputation and value is Downstate and I still think stony brook wins. Downstate gets respect from urban residency programs for being grungy and letting the med students get their hands dirty but as far as resources, support from the administration, and overall quality stony brook is significantly better.

And another completely biased opinion as well, but Downstate's facilities were extremely disappointing when I visited there during my residency interviews. The facilities at SB are much nicer, including a brand new ED, with much more construction continuing. Not sure if new construction is going to happen at Downstate, especially since all I hear about Downstate now is that they're dead broke.

Also, my classmate above failed to mention that 5/5 students matched into orthopaedic surgery, one of the toughest fields currently to get into (MUCH harder than EM). Just wanted to mention that, since I was one of them and was bitter he left us out of the conversation.

lol sorry LIMed2007, those orthopods always need extra attention :)

can anyone find a link to the match list for this year?

And they building a new facility for the medical school; should be complete by 2016 is what they said...

Does anyone know if how Stony Brook conveys acceptances/waitlist/rejections? I was told that decisions have been send out yesterday, and since I didn't get an email I'm a littler nervous about it all.

Does anyone know if how Stony Brook conveys acceptances/waitlist/rejections? I was told that decisions have been send out yesterday, and since I didn't get an email I'm a littler nervous about it all.

Some people posted earlier that they were rejected post-interview via email, so it seems like decisions are sent out by email. Maybe others have a better idea, though. How did you hear that decisions were sent out yesterday?

I have not received anything either. I interviewed on 2/28

Some people posted earlier that they were rejected post-interview via email, so it seems like decisions are sent out by email. Maybe others have a better idea, though. How did you hear that decisions were sent out yesterday?

I called the office and the lady said that, but she was vague about it. I'm nervous as can be to the point where my pipettes are shaking. Unfortunately due to my nerves/excitement I called back again and was told by the assistant dean to be patient, but she did not mention anything.

And I also feel bad for bothering them twice in the same day, I'm sure they get bothered enough as is...

high priority waitlist. interviewed end of jan oos. the waiting continues haha

Is there a separate email for "high priority wait-list?" My email just says "waitlist"... does that mean I should not hold out much hope?

did anyone who interviewed around sept- dec first get waitlisted and then placed on the high priority wait list?

PM me if you're going to second look and want to split a hotel

Has anyone who interviewed late February (Feb 28th specifically) heard back?

Has anyone who interviewed late February (Feb 28th specifically) heard back yet?

does an unofficial/official facebook group already exist? if not, one of us (I wouldn't mind doing it) could make one so we could meet each other/look into housing and such =)

does an unofficial/official facebook group already exist? if not, one of us (I wouldn't mind doing it) could make one so we could meet each other/look into housing and such =)

I've been asking the same thing for a few weeks, but I haven't started one yet just in case the school does an official one. If we don't hear anything soon we should start one - it's especially helpful for housing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.