2012-2013 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question:
Describe briefly an extended scholarly activity in which you either worked independently or contributed significantly within a small group. Include information on how results were presented and what you learned from the experience. Subject areas may include any field - the sciences, social sciences, humanities. If you did not have such an experience, do not answer this question and write "None" in the text box. (Limit 150 words)

Question:
List any full time or part time peer teaching experiences that lasted a minimum of one academic year (give dates). Include the number of hours per week spent in this activity. If you did not have such an experience, do not answer this question, and write "NONE" in the text box. (Limit 100 words)

Question (optional):
If there were periods longer than 3 months, from the time you graduated from high school to now, when you were not employed full-time or in college full-time, please briefly describe your activities. (Limit 150 words)

Question (optional):
If you are not attending college full time as of September 15, please describe your activities for the period September 2012 to July 2013. (Limit 200 words)

Question (optional):
If you are not from the 5 boroughs of New York City, describe what personal experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. (Limit 150 words)

Question (optional):
If you have a specific reason why do you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain. (Limit 100 words)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can someone who goes to this school tell me what the campus looks like and the surrounding area, please?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like this school. Are they OOS friendly?

I interviewed this past year, got waitlisted, so I might be applying again. It's in East Flatbush, an area which really isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It's all on one block, pretty much all in the same building, connected to University Hospital and across the street from Kings County Hospital Center.
As for OOS, not sure with regards to stats, but I did meet a good number of California students there, some from Pennsylvania.

New York resident over here! ;)
Those who attend SUNY Downstate, what do you like/don't like about it? Please let me know.

Last edited:
I really like this school. Are they OOS friendly?

In respect to OOS friendly schools, no they are not friendly. Its a SUNY school, so it receives its funding from New York State, and thus is meant to primarily serve the New York State residents. I'd say it is more OOS friendly though than UMDNJ.

In respect to OOS friendly schools, no they are not friendly. Its a SUNY school, so it receives its funding from New York State, and thus is meant to primarily serve the New York State residents. I'd say it is more OOS friendly though than UMDNJ.
I believe ~15% of the class is OOS. You can also change to instate residency after the first year. OOS friendly is all relative.

I'm applying here too!!

I am doing my field study at Downstate Hospital for grad school this summer and have lived in NYC/Brooklyn area for that past 6 years. I can't really speak too much on the school, but I can speak on Downstate Hospital and the area. The patient population is predominately medicaid-type insurance, many immigrants, especially from the Caribbean (I've seen two children this summer with sickle cell), I work in a pediatric cardiology/pulmunology lab and I've really enjoyed interacting with the kids and their parents. As far as the neighborhood goes, I wouldn't want to live there. I'm an avid bike commuter and have asked some of the staff in the lab where I am working about locking up my bike outside and they don't recommend it. I haven't had any problems as far as safety is concerned, but the area is a little rough around the edges. The facilities in the hospital are not the best, they are dated, and half the elevators don't work.

All that said, this is in my top three of choices for schools. Yes, the facilities are old, yes they could use wwaaaayyyyyy more money, and yes, the neighborhood isn't the greatest, but that is what comes with working in a publicly funded hospital. I love the interactions I have with patients every day and I love the staff that I work with. I work across the hall from the school of public health and every conversation I have with faculty is truly inspiring. If you are looking for shiny new buildings and cute coffee shops to hang out in between classes, this is not the school for you, but if you are looking to really see a lot of variety, learn with a diverse staff, and build a solid understanding on working with a SED population, this is a great place.

As far as neighborhoods, there are many great neighborhoods a short subway ride away and if you don't mind biking to school or transferring trains there are many other options (there are safe lockup options in the parking garage which I don't have access to right now). Check out Prospect Heights, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Park Slope and South Slope. I lived in Williamsburg for several years and love love love it, but would only be able to commute to downstate via bike from there.

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
According to MSAR, this year 38 OOS matriculated along with 145 IS. So thats ~21% of the class OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a CA resident and had an interview last cycle. I personally know 2 other CA residents who did as well. So I would say the school is actually as OOS friendly as state schools get, or maybe they have a strange affinity for CA students.

Regarding their new secondary, I don't really know what they're trying to get at with this "Scholarly Activity" section. Is this limited to an independent research project? What if I did research but there were no conclusive results from the project.

i could be totally off but I know in NYC its common for apt/office buildings to not have a 13th floor bc of ppl who are freaked out by superstitions lol. maybe it's the same things here?

Is anyone else missing a #13 on their secondary application?

Do you guys mind either posting the secondary or emailing getheleadout?

this might sound stupid, but im confused about this...does anyone know if the question about breaks in education/employment would have to be answered if a full-time volunteer position was held?

i worked full-time as a volunteer research assistant the summer after i graduated college. basically, i want to know if volunteer work counts as employment?

his might sound stupid, but im confused about this...does anyone know if the question about breaks in education/employment would have to be answered if a full-time volunteer position was held?

i worked full-time as a volunteer research assistant the summer after i graduated college. basically, i want to know if volunteer work counts as employment?

I think it does. The question doesn't specifically ask about a paid employment, and if doing volunteer research was how you spent your year off, then put it down as an answer.

I submitted my secondary yesterday BTW, good luck to everyone applying to Downstate :)

When I try to log into the secondary I get an error saying my bday isn't correct..what format are you guys using? I have tried 01/10/1991 and also 01101991 and also 1101991 and its not working...or am I just being dumb....?

When I try to log into the secondary I get an error saying my bday isn't correct..what format are you guys using? I have tried 01/10/1991 and also 01101991 and also 1101991 and its not working...or am I just being dumb....?

It's not just you, but I could easily be doing it wrong as well.

Probably a stupid question but when they ask about additional information about the pre-medical courses, are they just asking to explain any bad grades or if some of the courses included the lab section.

Probably a stupid question but when they ask about additional information about the pre-medical courses, are they just asking to explain any bad grades or if some of the courses included the lab section.

I explained where I was using AP credits, how a writing course at my University wasn't administered by the English dept. and that I'd get them a University letter verifying this, and that my organic chemistry lab for the year was a 2-credit one-semester course separate from lecture.

I am having the same login issues...i emailed the admissions office...will post when they get back to me

submitted! there isn't a place to check our status right?

I explained where I was using AP credits, how a writing course at my University wasn't administered by the English dept. and that I'd get them a University letter verifying this, and that my organic chemistry lab for the year was a 2-credit one-semester course separate from lecture.
Thanks!!!

Anyone attending the open house next Wednesday, July 18th?

If so, drop me a PM and lets meet up! Need to rep the SDN! :thumbup:

I have a question about the breaks in employment or education. When they say attending college full time, are they also including the summer months. My school has a summer vacation of 4 months, so should I include all the activities that I did during each summer?

Make sure where it says application year you put 2013 (the year you'll be starting) not 2012 (the year you're actually applying). The "XX/XX/XXXX" format worked for me. Hope this helps.

i was also wondering this too. does anyone know where we can check application status?

Well looks like I'm out of the running here. I have AP credit for general chemistry lab which they emailed me that they do not accept. This is the only chemistry lab at my university and im not allowed to retake it. I did do organic chem lab which had gen chem lab as a prerequisite though. And I took biochem lecture.

Has anyone else not gotten a secondary yet?

@ question #1...I feel like putting "none" will put is in a really bad position from the start...what do you guys think?

Just got the application complete email! Submitted secondary 7/13

I didn't get anything yet, but maybe because I'm applying MSTP. I need to write secondary page thing.

does anyone know how to view their secondary application after you've submitted? thanks!

Just got the complete email today.

Secondary Received 7/9
Secondary Submitted 7/9
Complete Email 7/19

the secondary says compose responses in Wordpad, but I composed in Microsoft Word. Do you think that makes a difference?

i dont get it. you used Word and submitted, but it didn't matter...
...but you actually didn't submit.
?

is anyone having problems submitting the app? it says that my supplemental is incomplete, but there are no red areas on the certification page?

Status
Not open for further replies.