2012-2013 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, but on the secondary application itself when it asked about the fee waiver it provided us with an email to forward them our approval notification... so we should also mail them a physical copy? And what is the "signature page"? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody else get this email? I would like to keep my options open, but I'm not sure what to do here. Since I have a lot of rural experience, it looks like I may have a better chance getting into this program this way. I just don't want to commit to a rural setting at this moment, but I'm not opposed to the idea. If I don't respond back, will it be harder for me to get in?

Dear *******,

Based on information you provided in your AMCAS application, you may be an excellent candidate to apply to our Rural Medical Scholars Program [RMSP]. For additional information on the RMSP program, please visit http://www.upstate.edu/com/special_opps/rmed/scholars.php

In order to be considered for the RMSP program, simply complete the Rural Medicine Scholars supplemental application https://bannerweb.upstate.edu/admissions/ and submit the required essay. If you have already submitted a secondary application and would like to be considered for the RMSP program, simply let me know. There is no need to fill out an additional application.

RMSP applicants who are invited for an interview will have an additional interview with a member of the RMSP/RMED faculty or an RMSP medical student. Those who apply for the RMSP program should be prepared to discuss their interest and commitment for a career in rural medicine.

If you feel that you are a good candidate for the RMSP program, please submit the Rural Medicine Scholars Supplemental Application and RMSP essay as soon as possible. Please contact me should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Welch
Director of Admissions

Anybody else get this email? I would like to keep my options open, but I'm not sure what to do here. Since I have a lot of rural experience, it looks like I may have a better chance getting into this program this way. I just don't want to commit to a rural setting at this moment, but I'm not opposed to the idea. If I don't respond back, will it be harder for me to get in?

Dear *******,

Based on information you provided in your AMCAS application, you may be an excellent candidate to apply to our Rural Medical Scholars Program [RMSP]. For additional information on the RMSP program, please visit http://www.upstate.edu/com/special_opps/rmed/scholars.php

In order to be considered for the RMSP program, simply complete the Rural Medicine Scholars supplemental application https://bannerweb.upstate.edu/admissions/ and submit the required essay. If you have already submitted a secondary application and would like to be considered for the RMSP program, simply let me know. There is no need to fill out an additional application.

RMSP applicants who are invited for an interview will have an additional interview with a member of the RMSP/RMED faculty or an RMSP medical student. Those who apply for the RMSP program should be prepared to discuss their interest and commitment for a career in rural medicine.

If you feel that you are a good candidate for the RMSP program, please submit the Rural Medicine Scholars Supplemental Application and RMSP essay as soon as possible. Please contact me should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Welch
Director of Admissions

Go for it! Have confidence! You will still get admissions to the general M.D program :)

Members don't see this ad :)
IMPORTANT INFO - CHECK YOUR STATUS ONLINE ON THE SECONDARY APP PORTAL

Hey all,

I was just doing a routine status-check through all of my applications and when I logged into the Upstate secondary application and scrolled to the bottom of the first page (Application Menu), it showed that I had been invited for interview. I have no idea when this happened, and I have checked the junk folder of all my email accounts - no notifications there either.

Just a heads up that they may not be sending an email or phoning for interview invitation. I advise you all to keep an eye on the status page (Application Menu). Good luck, and maybe I'll see some of you there.

Edit: Just for reference, all of my materials were in on 11 July and they sent me the complete application email on 13 July.

Hey all,

I was just doing a routine status-check through all of my applications and when I logged into the Upstate secondary application and scrolled to the bottom of the first page (Application Menu), it showed that I had been invited for interview. I have no idea when this happened, and I have checked the junk folder of all my email accounts - no notifications there either.

Just a heads up that they may not be sending an email or phoning for interview invitation. I advise you all to keep an eye on the status page (Application Menu). Good luck, and maybe I'll see some of you there.

Edit: Just for reference, all of my materials were in on 11 July and they sent me the complete application email on 13 July.
Yeah I got the same thing too. It says "Congratulations on being accepted for an interview". I hope this is not a glitch because this would be awesome!!!

Hey all,

I got the same thing too...It says "Congratulations on being accepted for an interview". I hope it is not a glitch because this would be awesome.

Hi everyone!

Could you tell me please how you can check your status online?

When I log in into my account, I see 1 processed application and 1 "New" in Applications in Progress. When I click on new one, it starts giving me the same questions again and it seems that my previous responses were not saved.

Thanks in advance! And congrats on the interviews!

Hi everyone!

Could you tell me please how you can check your status online?

When I log in into my account, I see 1 processed application and 1 "New" in Applications in Progress. When I click on new one, it starts giving me the same questions again and it seems that my previous responses were not saved.

Thanks in advance! And congrats on the interviews!
You can check you status my clicking on the processed application. It should say Fall 2013. SUNY upstate will send an email when you are complete. It was a three day turnaround for me after I submitted.

it's not letting me choose a date for an interview. anyone else having the same problem?

it's not letting me choose a date for an interview. anyone else having the same problem?
Yeah I'm having the same problem. It says to pick dates that are highlighted in blue but I can't find any dates that are blue.

You can check you status my clicking on the processed application. It should say Fall 2013. SUNY upstate will send an email when you are complete. It was a three day turnaround for me after I submitted.

Thank you!

If you look on the Upstate thread from the last application cycle, this exact same situation happened - people got status changes but couldn't pick interview dates - if it's the same as last year, you should get an official interview invite e-mail on Monday and then you'll be able to pick a date. I believe their adcom meets on Wednesdays, so your status might change mid-week and you might get official e-mails the following Monday.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you look on the Upstate thread from the last application cycle, this exact same situation happened - people got status changes but couldn't pick interview dates - if it's the same as last year, you should get an official interview invite e-mail on Monday and then you'll be able to pick a date. I believe their adcom meets on Wednesdays, so your status might change mid-week and you might get official e-mails the following Monday.

Thanks for doing the legwork :)

Has anyone with a fee waiver submitted but not received their complete email? I submitted my secondary 7/11 and mailed in my signature page the same day, but still nada.

DId you guys include non-moving traffic violations when answering the question

"Have you ever been charged or convicted of any offense of the law? (This includes criminal, misdemeanor, or felony charges). A conviction includes a plea, verdict, or finding of guilt, regardless of the sentence imposed by a court of law."

I tried emailing the admissions office but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

thanks for the info, I was wondering if it was a problem specific to my application

DId you guys include non-moving traffic violations when answering the question

"Have you ever been charged or convicted of any offense of the law? (This includes criminal, misdemeanor, or felony charges). A conviction includes a plea, verdict, or finding of guilt, regardless of the sentence imposed by a court of law."

I tried emailing the admissions office but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

A non-moving traffic violation isn't a criminal, misdemeanor, or felony offense. So no.

Thanks for the clarification.

Is anyone recieving the following error after clicking "Continue" on the Personal Information page of the Rural Scholars app?

"Not Found
The requested URL /isis/bwskaper.P_ProcAppPersonal was not found on this server."

I tried using Chrome, Safari, and Firefox with no luck but it reads like it's an error on Upstate's end.

anybody know a contact number for upstate, the contact us link just opens up an email in outlook and they haven't responded to the emails. I received a complete email on the 18th and the website status looked good and now it's suddenly changed my MD app to an MD/MPH app which is not complete.

Yeah I'm having the same problem. It says to pick dates that are highlighted in blue but I can't find any dates that are blue.

Did anyone who's status changed to interview invite receive an email? Im getting nervous :confused:

Do they send you a complete email when you have everything in? Just wondering because nothing is indicated on my online application even though I've paid online and have my LORs in.

Edit: oops I see my question was answered above

Admissions emailed me that they have not uploaded the interview dates. They will email us when they are uploaded.

I received a complete email on 7/13 and my application menu page hasnt changed since. you think I should be concerned?

Does anyone know the situation with OOS students getting In-state tuition after the first year? I've read conflicting reports that it won't be allowed. Can anyone confirm?

Does anyone know the situation with OOS students getting In-state tuition after the first year? I've read conflicting reports that it won't be allowed. Can anyone confirm?

I can't confirm it, but my understanding is your residency is wherever you were when you first applied to schools, and also requires you to have lived in said state for a certain period (12 months??) of time

The interview dates have been uploaded but I have not gotten the email saying that I can pick interview dates...should I do it anyway????

Edit: Received the interview invite

Last edited:
Got my interview invite via email! I haven't picked a date yet. Is it a big deal to wait a few days to select an interview date?

Also, what do you guys think of their new MMI interview process? (8 stations involving a task, scenario, etc. )

Got my interview invite via email! I haven't picked a date yet. Is it a big deal to wait a few days to select an interview date?

Also, what do you guys think of their new MMI interview process? (8 stations involving a task, scenario, etc. )

More and more schools are looking towards this or a hybrid between it and the "traditional" interview. The way I view it is you have that many more opportunities to make a strong first impression and it will get the adrenaline flowing, but not everyone is comfortable with it. Anyone have solid suggestions for preparation for this style?

More and more schools are looking towards this or a hybrid between it and the "traditional" interview. The way I view it is you have that many more opportunities to make a strong first impression and it will get the adrenaline flowing, but not everyone is comfortable with it. Anyone have solid suggestions for preparation for this style?

We do MMI in Canada, it's really popular here, it's actually pretty fun. You literally have no time to think though... which makes it really challenging on questions that can potentially flag you!

We do MMI in Canada, it's really popular here, it's actually pretty fun. You literally have no time to think though... which makes it really challenging on questions that can potentially flag you!

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Canada is where it started? You don't by any chance know which school is the parent of the creation, do you?

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Canada is where it started? You don't by any chance know which school is the parent of the creation, do you?

Yes I do. It was McMaster University (I interviewed there last year, but was unfortunately waitlisted and it seems like wait-lists in both America and Canada barely moved in the 2011-2012 cycle-->super unusual) :)

Is this the first year of MMI at Upstate? I looked through the SDN interview feedback pages but I didn't find any MMI-style questions/scenarios. Does anyone know how long each station will be?

Is this the first year of MMI at Upstate? I looked through the SDN interview feedback pages but I didn't find any MMI-style questions/scenarios. Does anyone know how long each station will be?

If they stick it out like McMaster or Queen's does it, it'll be 7-9minutes per station

If they stick it out like McMaster or Queen's does it, it'll be 7-9minutes per station

That's the same as UBC also .. Still, would be nice to know for sure. I'll probably contact the admissions office sometime soon to find out.

Does anyone know what to put for the LOR section? Because they either ask for individual letters or a committee letter. My institution however does a letter packet. Should I just choose the option of committee letter?

I don't know if this was something from a previous year, but are there pre-interview essays?

for those who have submitted their secondaries, does your applicant status page look any different from BEFORE you submitted? o_O

(i.e. i'm looking at mine right now [submitted 7/28] and it looks exactly the same. in fact, it still allows you to create a new application, under the title 'application preference' it still says 'not entered,' etc.)

for those who have submitted their secondaries, does your applicant status page look any different from BEFORE you submitted? o_O

(i.e. i'm looking at mine right now [submitted 7/28] and it looks exactly the same. in fact, it still allows you to create a new application, under the title 'application preference' it still says 'not entered,' etc.)
Mine looked like that.

Yeah, nothing will change except if you click on the application you submitted and scroll down to the bottom where it will show you which documents they have processed. Interview invitation shows up at the bottom of the applicant status page (just scroll down after you log in). They email you as well, but there may be a delay of a few days.

submitted over a week ago and still no complete email...

When did you submit? I submitted 7/25 and haven't gotten anything either. I thought these guys sent automatic secondaries. Does any know if they are actually screening?

Status
Not open for further replies.