2012-2013 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
withdrew my acceptance today. hope it goes to one of you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking of getting off campus housing, as I will be bringing a dog. Does anyone know what the parking situation is for commuters?

Couple of different parking options with different prices depending on how close you want to be and if you want covered or uncovered parking. The most expensive parking is garage west, covered, connected by bridge to the hospital, about 70-something a month. There are two (I think?) other open lots, one a little bit of a walk from campus but I think there's a shuttle, and I believe it's 30 bucks a month. I live off campus and park in the 70 dollar option.

Hi Everyone,

If anyone is thinking about living off campus, I paired of with another guy who is also starting this fall. We are thinking about living off campus in maybe a house. It is just us two at the moment but we are potentially open to going with another person. We are budgeting no more than $600 total for rent and utilities together.

Must be a small dog lover...

PM if interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'd appreciate any advice you're willing to offer:

I was accepted into Upstate (whoo whoo, very grateful about it), but was wait-listed at another top choice school. I also really want to take the Summer Anatomy course that's from June 3-July 26 at Upstate. Is it possible to take the class while waiting for the other school to get back to me. And if I were accepted into the other top choice school (which can span anytime from May 15 to the end of July) would it be possible to quit the summer course without any consequences or financial conditions?

Thanks for reading this
So I know this response is a bit delayed but wanted to offer my advice. I was told that once you matriculate to any medical school, you are required to withdraw from all other medical schools. So I do not think it would be possible to hold a spot while essentially starting school somewhere else. Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision

So is it safe to assume that you are not getting off from the regular waitlist, not the HPA? =[

Anyone accepted with a science gpa under 3.4?

Time is flying by. Less than 10 days until we can find our chances from Upstate itself.

I believe its H/HP/P/F on a curve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I didn't realize the grading here was done on a curve... that scares me! I too hope they change to P/F. Any current med students like to weigh in on the current grading scheme? Do you hate it? I just dread the thought of going through med school with us all eyeballing each other since we know only a certain percentage of us can honor.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the grading here was done on a curve... that scares me! I too hope they change to P/F. Any current med students like to weigh in on the current grading scheme? Do you hate it? I just dread the thought of going through med school with us all eyeballing each other since we know only a certain percentage of us will pass.

From interview day the kids didn't seem to mind much at all.
A lot of them go to class. That's one of the biggest differences I noticed from other places I interviewed at where there's only P/F

Members don't see this ad :)
Not everyone can pass?

Whoops. Let me just nip this train of paranoia (that I started) in the bud. The current grading system is set up such that a certain percentage of students get high honors, a certain percent get honors, and then to pass you just need to get above a certain score. I assume the course director would decide this, but I'm not really sure. So no, EVERYONE can pass. Just not everyone can get honors/high honors.

Sorry, I didn't understand this myself before. I didn't mean to freak everyone else out too!

^Source: heard from a current med student

I withdrew my acceptance today and hope it goes to someone here who wants it badly!

Good luck!

Withdrew my acceptance. Too risky trying to get an M.D. here, the grading and accreditation problems have dissuaded me from matriculating, and I advise that anyone who has other schools does the same.

The difference between sincerity...

I withdrew my acceptance today and hope it goes to someone here who wants it badly!

Good luck!

And trolling...

Withdrew my acceptance. Too risky trying to get an M.D. here, the grading and accreditation problems have dissuaded me from matriculating, and I advise that anyone who has other schools does the same.

:laugh: I see you're trying to force some waitlist movement.:thumbup:

Haha if only you knew what you were talking about..... Ah well glad you chose to go somewhere else.

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday and decided to go to my hometown school. Definitely one of the more difficult decisions I have made...I was very impressed with Upstate after meeting some of the students and staff. Upstate was my first acceptance and I'll never forgot how happy it made me to receive that email. I'm glad someone else will now get the to have that feeling. Good luck!

Withdrew as well. Definitely a tough choice as this is a great school. Hope my spot goes to one of you deserving applicants =]

Upstate officially is now grading P/F starting next year :D. Making what felt like a really relaxed atmosphere at Upstate even more so.

Upstate officially is now grading P/F starting next year :D. Making what felt like a really relaxed atmosphere at Upstate even more so.

Yay! When I first heard about this I was so excited! I cannot wait for August!

Has anybody called to find their position on the waitlist?

Does anyone know when we are supposed to send in our final (post-acceptane) transcripts? My school's health professions department is not getting back to me so I was wondering if there was a deadline

Does anyone know when we are supposed to send in our final (post-acceptane) transcripts? My school's health professions department is not getting back to me so I was wondering if there was a deadline
I think I remember the deadline being a week before orientation

It has been surprisingly quiet in here. I would've expected some acceptances by now since the waitlist started moving last week.

I had this same question. I called, and the admissions office told me that it's due in January of the first year, so we have quite a while.

Also does anyone know what book is being used for biochem in the first year?

Hi! Are there any current or incoming students who have pets? Could you please provide me a few possible housing options to look at? Thanks a lot!

I got a call this morning saying that I got accepted off the HP waitlist. I have two days to decide. I'm not 100% sure yet but I will most likely withdraw as I had already made plans at another school. Either way I will let them know tomorrow and if I do withdraw I hope an SDN'er gets the spot!

I got a call this morning saying that I got accepted off the HP waitlist. I have two days to decide. I'm not 100% sure yet but I will most likely withdraw as I had already made plans at another school. Either way I will let them know tomorrow and if I do withdraw I hope an SDN'er gets the spot!

Congratulations. Good to hear of some movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.