2012-2013 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else having trouble scheduling an interview. I schedled for October 3rd a week ago but my status still says no date has been selected.
Did you get an official email inviting you to interview yet? Supposedly your reservation doesn't go through until you have received this email, even though you status on their website says you have been selected to interview. I am personally still waiting for this email after my status changed on Friday. I figure it'll come some time this week...

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get an official email inviting you to interview yet? Supposedly your reservation doesn't go through until you have received this email, even though you status on their website says you have been selected to interview. I am personally still waiting for this email after my status changed on Friday. I figure it'll come some time this week...

Yeah I was told not to schedule a date before I get the email, which I still didn't get btw :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was told not to schedule a date before I get the email, which I still didn't get btw :(

Where did you hear this? I was never told about waiting for an email.

Where did you hear this? I was never told about waiting for an email.

Look at the previous page in this thread. Multiple people including a current student said that that's what you're supposed to do or else there is trouble processing the request.

II yesterday 8/27
Secondary complete 8/15

3.6/35 in state.

Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday (first one!!)
Complete 8/15
OOS 3.6/3.7/35

If there are any current students on this thread, I would like to ask you about the Binghamton campus. I know that SUNY claims that Binghamton campus would give students the same opportunities, but I would like to know the behind-the-scenes opinions on the Binghamton campus.

If there are any current students on this thread, I would like to ask you about the Binghamton campus. I know that SUNY claims that Binghamton campus would give students the same opportunities, but I would like to know the behind-the-scenes opinions on the Binghamton campus.

+1

just got the email about the Binghamton campus

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'll try it. I scheduled an interview for Sept 12th and I was wondering if there is anyone else from NYC that would like to carpool? I don't have a car nor do I really drive, but I will split the cost of gas and help with navigation. Any takers?

TL;DR – I'm a 4th year at Upstate who was Binghamton Campus. They are very different experiences, but equal opportunity to excel in both. Binghamton campus has people going for Derm, Rad Onc, Neurosurgery, Surgery, Anesthesia, and Ortho this year; so you are not limited to primary care. And remember you can come back to Syracuse for 4th year.

This got long, I tried to give my general impression of the experiences. If you have specific questions that interest you, ask away and I will try not to write a novella again.

While the school would like to claim the Binghamton and Syracuse campuses are the same, and the LCME would like to force the issue, the truth is they are not and honestly should not be. This is not to say that the differences are negative, it simply reflects the reality of having your clinical training occur in a community hospital setting rather than an academic hospital setting. I can provide some insight, however there are major curriculum overhauls occurring over the next couple years. Contrary to what a previous poster said about having met all the LCME requirements, we are not there; however the school is well on track to being there (at least on paper). As such, my experience may not exactly reflect what the next few years will bring.

1)
Research – Syracuse wins. Traditionally if you wanted to conduct research you needed to stay in Syracuse. This is changing. A new dean was hired this past year at the Binghamton campus who has put an emphasis on opening opportunities for students to do research and she is actively seeking collaborations with physicians in the community and at other institutions. This year saw a number of students provided the opportunity to participate in research across multiple specialties and I would expect the opportunities to continue to expand. That said, Syracuse still offers more opportunities at the moment by virtue of being an academic center.

2)
Family medicine – Binghamton wins. Family Medicine at Binghamton is a longitudinal course where you are in the office one afternoon a week for the entire year. Additionally, once a month you get together for some of the longest, least efficient lectures you will ever experience. The grading is based on in house exams and assignments. Don't get me wrong, it was a great experience and I wouldn't trade the opportunity to follow a single attending for an entire year for anything (excellent way to learn and to get a LOR); but the lectures are a tragedy (but easy so most of us read other material during them). Traditionally Syracuse just had one block of family medicine, and is just 8 weeks of outpatient medicine. Not better or worse, just different. I like the continuity of the year long course though.

3)
Internal Medicine – I'm really not sure and think it is mostly who your residents are. In Binghamton we have traditionally rotated through Robert Packer hospital in Sayre, PA; a local hospital in Binghamton, and an outpatient office. In Syracuse I think you just spent the entire time in a single hospital. This rotation is hit or miss and really determined by who your residents are, to a degree who your attending are, and very much by how motivated you are. You might see more complicated cases at Syracuse; but this won't actually prepare you better for your shelf exams and you will have less time to actually learn the basics (more scut, more rushing to cover case load, more attitudes from what I hear).

4)
Surgery – Depends on your goals. If you want to be a surgeon, Syracuse is probably best with Sayre next. If you just want to get through the rotation, Binghamton is the place. The rotation can be done at Binghamton, Sayre, or Syracuse. In Binghamton, you will mostly stand in a corner for 40 hours a week watching one or two specialties. In Sayre, you will be exposed to all specialties, be actively involved, and the surgeons are really nice people; but you will work no less than 60-70 hours a week (I often hit 90, but it was my own doing rather than being made to). Syracuse, I think they get you more involved, again more along the 60-70 hours a week, moderate exposure to specialties but may have to work to see something that interests you; however more traditional malignant surgical personalities exist here.

5)
Ob/gyn – Very different experiences. I have heard extremely negative feedback from the Syracuse campus because of the physicians involved. That said, there is a new course director and you will gain more clinical experience. So, it may get better. In Binghamton, you need to explicitly request specific physicians if you want clinical experience as many are private practice and do not want to force students on their patients. This is particularly true if you are a male student, in which case you can go days without being let in a room. That said, I am a male, did learn a lot, did well on my shelf, and obtained extra experience by hanging around the hospital after office hours. So no real reason to complain about it. Not sure which campus has the advantage here.

6)
Neuro – Syracuse wins. No further discussion needed. The neurosurgeons in Binghamton are great; but the neurologists want absolutely nothing to do with us. It will provide you the opportunity to study for your shelf for 2 weeks, but you will gain no clinical experience at all.

7)
Pediatrics – Syracuse wins again. With Golisano hospital there is a drastically higher case load and dedicated pediatric faculty. In Binghamton, it is run by family medicine (with a number of malignant personalities involved) and depending on time of year there may be fewer than 2 pediatric patients in the hospital.

8)
Psych – Binghamton wins. Literally, on day one you will be put into clinical situations. It is a shock to the system, but in retrospect it was amazing learning. The faculty is very supportive and time is carved out every day for dedicated lecture and case discussion. In Syracuse, they traditionally spent several weeks doing nothing but lecture. And after that they still had minimal clinical exposure. A new course director is in charge and this may change, but from last year, I did not hear one good review of the course including from students going into Psych.

9)
Emergency Medicine - Syracuse wins. They have much higher case load, with faculty and residents that are used to teaching. In Binghamton, it is still very new and they were still figuring out how to handle it all this year. Nice guys, mean well, not a worthwhile experience.

10)
Support Staff – Binghamton wins. Hard to explain, but once you've been in Syracuse for a while you will understand why they post the motto "Life is a do it yourself project". In contrast, Binghamton expects you to be self sufficient, but actively works to streamline the process and remove unnecessary complications from your path.

Last edited:
TL;DR – I'm a 4th year at Upstate who was Binghamton Campus. They are very different experiences, but equal opportunity to excel in both. Binghamton campus has people going for Derm, Rad Onc, Neurosurgery, Surgery, Anesthesia, and Ortho this year; so you are not limited to primary care. And remember you can come back to Syracuse for 4th year.

This got long, I tried to give my general impression of the experiences. If you have specific questions that interest you, ask away and I will try not to write a novella again.

While the school would like to claim the Binghamton and Syracuse campuses are the same, and the LCME would like to force the issue, the truth is they are not and honestly should not be. This is not to say that the differences are negative, it simply reflects the reality of having your clinical training occur in a community hospital setting rather than an academic hospital setting. I can provide some insight, however there are major curriculum overhauls occurring over the next couple years. Contrary to what a previous poster said about having met all the LCME requirements, we are not there; however the school is well on track to being there (at least on paper). As such, my experience may not exactly reflect what the next few years will bring.

1)
Research – Syracuse wins. Traditionally if you wanted to conduct research you needed to stay in Syracuse. This is changing. A new dean was hired this past year at the Binghamton campus who has put an emphasis on opening opportunities for students to do research and she is actively seeking collaborations with physicians in the community and at other institutions. This year saw a number of students provided the opportunity to participate in research across multiple specialties and I would expect the opportunities to continue to expand. That said, Syracuse still offers more opportunities at the moment by virtue of being an academic center.

2)
Family medicine – Binghamton wins. Family Medicine at Binghamton is a longitudinal course where you are in the office one afternoon a week for the entire year. Additionally, once a month you get together for some of the longest, least efficient lectures you will ever experience. The grading is based on in house exams and assignments. Don't get me wrong, it was a great experience and I wouldn't trade the opportunity to follow a single attending for an entire year for anything (excellent way to learn and to get a LOR); but the lectures are a tragedy (but easy so most of us read other material during them). Traditionally Syracuse just had one block of family medicine, and is just 8 weeks of outpatient medicine. Not better or worse, just different. I like the continuity of the year long course though.

3)
Internal Medicine – I'm really not sure and think it is mostly who your residents are. In Binghamton we have traditionally rotated through Robert Packer hospital in Sayre, PA; a local hospital in Binghamton, and an outpatient office. In Syracuse I think you just spent the entire time in a single hospital. This rotation is hit or miss and really determined by who your residents are, to a degree who your attending are, and very much by how motivated you are. You might see more complicated cases at Syracuse; but this won't actually prepare you better for your shelf exams and you will have less time to actually learn the basics (more scut, more rushing to cover case load, more attitudes from what I hear).

4)
Surgery – Depends on your goals. If you want to be a surgeon, Syracuse is probably best with Sayre next. If you just want to get through the rotation, Binghamton is the place. The rotation can be done at Binghamton, Sayre, or Syracuse. In Binghamton, you will mostly stand in a corner for 40 hours a week watching one or two specialties. In Sayre, you will be exposed to all specialties, be actively involved, and the surgeons are really nice people; but you will work no less than 60-70 hours a week (I often hit 90, but it was my own doing rather than being made to). Syracuse, I think they get you more involved, again more along the 60-70 hours a week, moderate exposure to specialties but may have to work to see something that interests you; however more traditional malignant surgical personalities exist here.

5)
Ob/gyn – Very different experiences. I have heard extremely negative feedback from the Syracuse campus because of the physicians involved. That said, there is a new course director and you will gain more clinical experience. So, it may get better. In Binghamton, you need to explicitly request specific physicians if you want clinical experience as many are private practice and do not want to force students on their patients. This is particularly true if you are a male student, in which case you can go days without being let in a room. That said, I am a male, did learn a lot, did well on my shelf, and obtained extra experience by hanging around the hospital after office hours. So no real reason to complain about it. Not sure which campus has the advantage here.

6)
Neuro – Syracuse wins. No further discussion needed. The neurosurgeons in Binghamton are great; but the neurologists want absolutely nothing to do with us. It will provide you the opportunity to study for your shelf for 2 weeks, but you will gain no clinical experience at all.

7)
Pediatrics – Syracuse wins again. With Golisano hospital there is a drastically higher case load and dedicated pediatric faculty. In Binghamton, it is run by family medicine (with a number of malignant personalities involved) and depending on time of year there may be fewer than 2 pediatric patients in the hospital.

8)
Psych – Binghamton wins. Literally, on day one you will be put into clinical situations. It is a shock to the system, but in retrospect it was amazing learning. The faculty is very supportive and time is carved out every day for dedicated lecture and case discussion. In Syracuse, they traditionally spent several weeks doing nothing but lecture. And after that they still had minimal clinical exposure. A new course director is in charge and this may change, but from last year, I did not hear one good review of the course including from students going into Psych.

9)
Emergency Medicine - Syracuse wins. They have much higher case load, with faculty and residents that are used to teaching. In Binghamton, it is still very new and they were still figuring out how to handle it all this year. Nice guys, mean well, not a worthwhile experience.

10)
Support Staff – Binghamton wins. Hard to explain, but once you've been in Syracuse for a while you will understand why they post the motto "Life is a do it yourself project". In contrast, Binghamton expects you to be self sufficient, but actively works to streamline the process and remove unnecessary complications from your path.
Very helpful, thanks a bunch!

Hey all. How do we designate our campus preference? (ie binghamton or Syracuse)

Hey all. How do we designate our campus preference? (ie binghamton or Syracuse)

You select your preference after your interview within two weeks.

Is anyone planning on going to the Binghamton open-house?

Is the campus u choose a factor in admissions? If I select only Syracuse is that a bad thing?

Campus choice is not considered unless you are on the wait list. At that point it just becomes an issue of which campus has slots left for students.

Upstate just sent me an email telling me I was still incomplete.

At this point in the game I don't even think it's worth it.

A NYS school robbed from me, **** life.

I just got an II and the earliest date available was late October and I selected it. Is it worth calling to tell them I would rather an earlier date if one comes available?

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Done interview! MMI was pretty interesting. For each station you get 2 min to prepare, 5 min to talk, and plenty of time to relax in between. Very low stress and lots of smiling people.
:xf:

Done interview! MMI was pretty interesting. For each station you get 2 min to prepare, 5 min to talk, and plenty of time to relax in between. Very low stress and lots of smiling people.

What kind of questions? Ethical? about your app? about news?

Glad to hear it went well for you! I have a logistical question - did the admissions office let you leave your bag somewhere at the school while you're interviewing? That would certainly make things more convenient for me ..

Hope you hear some good news from them in October!

What kind of questions? Ethical? about your app? about news?

I prepared for this MMI just as I would for a regular interview, and it worked for me. Sorry I'm not allowed to tell you any more specifics. ;)

Glad to hear it went well for you! I have a logistical question - did the admissions office let you leave your bag somewhere at the school while you're interviewing? That would certainly make things more convenient for me ..

Hope you hear some good news from them in October!

Thank you! So all of you will meet up in a conference room where you can leave your belongings. They'll lock the door for you while the interviews take place.

Thanks for your input, I was wondering what interviews were like here. Low stress = greatly preferred.

I prepared for this MMI just as I would for a regular interview, and it worked for me. Sorry I'm not allowed to tell you any more specifics. ;)
I just got back from two years abroad and have my interview in less than a week. Any tips on how to prepare?

I just got back from two years abroad and have my interview in less than a week. Any tips on how to prepare?

your two years abroad was all the preparation you'd ever need, i'd imagine. peace corps?

your two years abroad was all the preparation you'd ever need, i'd imagine. peace corps?
yepp, unfortunately it's left me with no filter (since no one in my village understood english) and broken english. I haven't had to answer questions about myself beyond "have you eaten rice yet?" and "why aren't you married?" in a long time. So, I'm a little nervous about coming face to face with intelligent native English speakers whose primary job is to judge my worthiness.

I also interviewed yesterday and it was a great and stress-free experience. I was nervous during my first two stations, but eventually got the hang of it and started to enjoy the whole MMI experience. The interviewers were also really nice and made sure not to make you feel uncomfortable. After the interview, we sat in on a class, had lunch and then had a short presentation and tour. Really great school and would love to go here

yepp, unfortunately it's left me with no filter (since no one in my village understood english) and broken english. I haven't had to answer questions about myself beyond "have you eaten rice yet?" and "why aren't you married?" in a long time. So, I'm a little nervous about coming face to face with intelligent native English speakers whose primary job is to judge my worthiness.

sounds like a cool experience though, looking forward to meeting you next week. i would just go over a few bioethics topics, a little info on the healthcare system, etc.

from the sound of it, it doesn't seem like they are really going to grill us on anything.

Very helpful, thanks a bunch!
Totally agree with the summations of Syracuse and Binghamton...I went to SUNY Binghamton for undergrad and worked there (as an EMT) for an agency in the city of Binghamton (not Vestal where the actual campus is located). Psych is huge there and I always heard a lot about the Syracuse campus, but I am not sure how good they are about teaching...the nursing program was always huge, but otherwise the physicians and staff did not seem very excited about teaching....I would think OB/GYN would be huge in Syracuse as Wilson Regional Medical Center (Johnson City - Binghamton) often shift high-risk pregnancies up there often...

also had my interview here...i thought i did pretty well lol but we'll see. everyone was really nice including the other interviewees. Would be really happy here I think.

Thank you! So all of you will meet up in a conference room where you can leave your belongings. They'll lock the door for you while the interviews take place.

Perfect, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Does anyone know if sending an update/letter of interest after being put on hold will help out your application?

So I'm going to sound stupid for asking...but how did you guys check your statuses? Did you just sign in to the same page as the secondary?

So I'm going to sound stupid for asking...but how did you guys check your statuses? Did you just sign in to the same page as the secondary?

Yes. If you have an interview invite, it will be at the very bottom of the first page you see after login (page where you select your application year).

I have a struggle. I live in the pioneer valley in western mass, which makes it REAL HARD to go anywhere other than NYC or Boston on public transportation. I was going to go the same day as my fiance because he has a car and can drive, but Nov. 5th closed up before I got my invite:confused:. Any ideas on what I should do? Now the earliest open date is in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.