2012-2013 Texas Tech - Lubbock Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a medical school that is focused on primary care with some emphasis on rural health, we are interested in the areas our applicants are considering of practicing. Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest. Please list them individually in a bulleted format in the text box provided below. If you are interested in something other than primary care, please indicate your interest in the OTHER category. Also, all applicants must answer Question #2.

1. Areas of interest:
Interested in the F-MAT (Family Medicine Accelerated Track)
Interested in practicing in an underserved area.
Interested in rural health.
Medical Research
Medical Academics
Primary Care
Border Health
Other

2. List your activities (completed, current or planned) related to the selections made in question #1.

3. Have you had to repeat, withdraw from or drop a course?

4. If you answered yes to question #3 above, please list and explain why these courses had to be dropped/repeated/withdrawn:

5. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown (500 words or less)?

6. In 500 words or less please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.)

7. (Optional) If you are applying to the MD/MBA, MD/PhD, JD/MD or FMAT program(s); please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself)

8. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (500 words or less)?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So when it says "in 500 words or less", how close to 500 are y'all planning on getting? Do they want us to keep it short and sweet or does that make it seem like we rushed through our secondary?

So when it says "in 500 words or less", how close to 500 are y'all planning on getting? Do they want us to keep it short and sweet or does that make it seem like we rushed through our secondary?
Mine was around the limits of everything I wrote. I usually wrote more than required and then trimmed it down.

Just finished the secondary, waiting on TMDSAS to process my transcripts/letters then I'm done! Good luck to all this cycle.

Hi all, if one is a TX resident and have accepted average MCAT and GPA (30 and 3.65 I suppose), can I safely conclude from the TMDSAS data that one has a somewhat less than 40% chance of being accepted to a TX MD (not including DO) school, if doing TX matriculants/TX applicants = 1428/3356?

Although the official acceptance rates for each TX med school is around 15-20%?
Thank you.

90% of all of the public school slots here are reserved for TX residents (135 of Tech's ~150 first-year seats last year are IS). Pending ECs, I'd say you have more than a 40% chance

90% of all of the public school slots here are reserved for TX residents (135 of Tech's ~150 first-year seats last year are IS). Pending ECs, I'd say you have more than a 40% chance

Thanks, I hope I have a better than 40% chance, but probably so, since they need to accept more than the people matriculate, since not all texas students attend med schools at texas.

How come you're applying to only Texas, but home state is colorado?

I'm applying to another dozen or so AMCAS schools, I just haven't updated my MDApps yet. I feel a lot safer applying to schools that take more than 15 OoSers per class lol

Yeah, but your stats are quite higher than average, so still have a good shot at TX schools. But probably more worth the money and effort int Penn or Virginia schools that take a lot of OOS applicants. Although TX OOS tuition rate is like IS tuition rate for non-tx students.

It would be cheaper to attend any school in TX as OoS (~$29,000) than it would be for me at CO, even with in-state ($32,000).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody have anything under the Applicant Status Review or Interview Scheduling sections? My application is complete, but all I get is a red box and yellow box

Same here, just have blue "i" next to status review and interview

I received an email for Aug 3rd interview here. Anyone know anything about this school's interview process?

I received an email for Aug 3rd interview here. Anyone know anything about this school's interview process?

Congrats! I really enjoyed my interviews here last year and think they were my best one. The day is pretty typical like any other interview day at other schools. Last year it started at around 9am, we mingled with other premeds and med students before they took us to watch a long video about Tech and its programs then a tour. After the tour was lunch followed by two interviews. There was like an hr wait between my interviews. The med students walked us so don't worry about getting lost. My interviews were very conversational, no tricky or weird questions at all. However, another interviewee told me she had all kind of crazy questions including the topic about the health care law, so be prepared. It really depends on who your interviewers are. In all, just be yourself. They seemed to really want to know my opinion about Lubbock and West Texas and if I would be willing and happy living there. At the end of the interviews were the student panel but I didn't stay, it was not required and I had a long drive back to Dallas.

Congrats! I really enjoyed my interviews here last year and think they were my best one. The day is pretty typical like any other interview day at other schools. Last year it started at around 9am, we mingled with other premeds and med students before they took us to watch a long video about Tech and its programs then a tour. After the tour was lunch followed by two interviews. There was like an hr wait between my interviews. The med students walked us so don't worry about getting lost. My interviews were very conversational, no tricky or weird questions at all. However, another interviewee told me she had all kind of crazy questions including the topic about the health care law, so be prepared. It really depends on who your interviewers are. In all, just be yourself. They seemed to really want to know my opinion about Lubbock and West Texas and if I would be willing and happy living there. At the end of the interviews were the student panel but I didn't stay, it was not required and I had a long drive back to Dallas.

Thanks! I really appreciate it, this will be my first interview most likely so I really appreciate the advice!

Congrats! Mind sharing your stats?

3.74sgpa and 36m mcat with good but not outstanding ECs

Thanks btw!

Last edited:
Got my interview invite 15 min ago via email! August 3rd
edit: Yeah I never got a confirmation email either

Last edited:
Just got an interview invite 8/3!

3.7, 36, in state

"Interviews aren't too bad. Just relax and be yourself. They just want to get to know you."
From my buddy that just got in for this year. At least we know they shouldn't grill us with ethical questions left and right...

Invite this morning for August 17th!

invite this morning. scheduled 8/17. good luck to all

Did yall have a check next to the applicant under review or interview offer box in Merlin?
Those boxes still have an " i " for me

Did yall have a check next to the applicant under review or interview offer box in Merlin?

No, those are still "i's" for me as well. But after I got the email, I clicked on the interview schedule box, and it gave me a few dates to pick from. It still doesn't have a check mark on it though.

Woohoo! Invite 8/3
3.8 / 37O / Texas Resident
Practically no clinical ECs - spent the last 9 years as a chemistry teacher

No just "i"s for me as well. Clicking on Interview Scheduling offered a list of choices and I picked what worked for me. Still, an "i" is showing up and no checkmark there or in applicant status box (i as well).

Woohoo! Invite 8/3
3.8 / 37O / Texas Resident
Practically no clinical ECs - spent the last 9 years as a chemistry teacher
Hey BLMTX, me too, teaching Chemistry!
With your stats, you will likely land interviews at most schools. Did you apply to others as well? Did you hear anything?

Hey BLMTX, me too, teaching Chemistry!
With your stats, you will likely land interviews at most schools. Did you apply to others as well? Did you hear anything?
Hi redoitall - yeah, I've applied to UTSW and TCOM also. Haven't heard from them though.

I agree with all of this. The interview day is very relaxed, and they really do want to know your opinion about living in the panhandle/west texas. I know from last year that they had one question that every interviewer was required to ask each interviewee, usually something to do with ethics or healthcare policy/reform so make sure that you have at least a general opinion on universal health care etc. I think they really want to see you argue an opinion more than anything.

For those who received interview invites, congrats and good luck!!! Just wondering..when did you complete your secondaries?

Hi redoitall - yeah, I've applied to UTSW and TCOM also. Haven't heard from them though.

Hi BLMTX

I think none of us hear from UTSW yet (except for confirmation of application receipt). As for TCOM, they have starting to send invites out 2 weeks. Like you, my stats are decent and yet, TCOM didn't invite me (OK, not all about numbers, but still).

So you didn't apply to other schools, just 3? (UTH, UTMB, Texas A&M, UT San Antonio...?)

Well good luck to you.

I turned mine in 7/1 (primary complete 6/28)

I turned in my secondary in early July, I was transmitted to schools on 5/18, no news here about invite.

Anyone knows a good place to stay near the school the night before the interview. I am planning to fly in the day before and take a cab to the hotel. But I would like to avoid the cab thing on the morning before the interview, just would make me nervous.

So ideally an hotel nearby from where I CAN WALK to the school. Anyone?

Anyone knows a good place to stay near the school the night before the interview. I am planning to fly in the day before and take a cab to the hotel. But I would like to avoid the cab thing on the morning before the interview, just would make me nervous.

So ideally an hotel nearby from where I CAN WALK to the school. Anyone?

I looked online and could not find one quite that close. I picked the Hawthorn because it looks to be reasonably simple to get to the schools from there and is not a great distance. If anyone does not have a car and stays in that hotel I do not mind offering a ride to the school in the morning.

Hi ts173
Thanks a lot for the reply. I would accept your offer happily. Now I am assuming you are driving to Lubboch, where from?

No problem, don't mind at all. I am driving to Lubbock from College Station.

Oh crap, I just realized that our interviews are not on the same day.. Slight issue :/

Status
Not open for further replies.