2012-2013 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview Invite just now via e-mail, my first one. Looks like interview spots are full until December.

Are you IS/OSS? When did you submit your secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry - was so excited I forgot to include that!

IS (Southeast PA), complete on 8/21. I hesitated in scheduling the interview and when I checked an hour later the December spots were full....will be interviewing in January.

Slightly below average GPA and MCAT too.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the school, or in general?

I meant in general - what are Commonwealth's stats? If anyone knows anything about number of students interviewed, accepted, and matriculated, that would be great to know as well!

I meant in general - what are Commonwealth's stats? If anyone knows anything about number of students interviewed, accepted, and matriculated, that would be great to know as well!

I'm interested as well. I think they said interview about 600, accept about 150-200?

does anyone have any stats on how many OOS were interviewed or accepted last year? i can't seem to find this.

does anyone have any stats on how many OOS were interviewed or accepted last year? i can't seem to find this.

Sounds like we need to find someone with the most recent MSAR...:rolleyes:

Sadly the MSAR does not show the number accepted from the number interviewed, just number attended. I think the US world news might though but don't quote me on it.

Last edited:
Okay, so I just got back to Philly from Scranton, and I'd like to briefly share my thoughts about TCMC.

Overall, my impression of the school didn't really change from what I had before. It's a small town medical school that is still getting its bearings. That being said, the new medical building is absolutely gorgeous, and all of the classrooms are equipped with state of the art technology. It also looks like there is plenty of study space. One of the drawbacks, though, is that there is A) no gym (though they might be integrating one on the unfinished fourth floor) and B) the cafeteria in the building is a little... Weird. Apparently it's only open for a couple hours a day with different vendors coming in each day of the week. The students we talked to said they usually just walk to the hospital (which is very close) to get food.

As far as the interviews, it was pretty laid back. There are some set goals that the student interviewer will try to achieve in your thirty minutes in terms of evaluating your candidacy. The faculty interview isn't bad either. I really hit it off with my professor, so I thought it went well.

The hallmark of the TCMC curriculum is, of course, the longitudinal integrated clerkships. Unfortunately, I felt like the presentation of the program wasn't that well done, which wasn't aided by the fact that there were no M3 or M4 students there to comment on it (probably all off at the regional campuses). The M1 and M2s had a general idea, but I would have preferred a first-hand account.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they are no longer rolling admission and release decisions in batches sometime in October, December, February, and April.

Last edited:
Quick question.

Given my stats (included in my signature), should I submit my secondary application? I am debating whether or not to send it in since I am OOS and not competitive with my MCAT score. The rest of my app is solid, and I am URM going into primary care. This is one of two secondaries I am debating whether or not to submit.

Opinion?

Not to be harsh, but given a 5 in PS, I don't think your chances are good... Anywhere. I would recommend retaking that MCAT.

Not to be harsh, but given a 5 in PS, I don't think your chances are good... Anywhere. I would recommend retaking that MCAT.

For URM, he has a pretty decent shot, actually. 62% acceptance for URM for 3.4-2.6 and 24-26 MCAT

You are very late in the game, however. OOS doesn't help... you might want to save your cash.

AiyaTuc said:
There are some set goals that the student interviewer will try to achieve in your thirty minutes in terms of evaluating your candidacy.

Would you mind elaborating a little on these goals? Thanks!

Btw, glad your interviews went well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone able to log back into the system after completing the secondary?

Twink said:
Anyone able to log back into the system after completing the secondary?

If I remember correctly, they'll send you a link to check your status in the complete e-mail.

If I remember correctly, they'll send you a link to check your status in the complete e-mail.

you'll get this:

Congratulations on successfully completing your application to The Commonwealth Medical College!

The next step in this process is the Admissions Committee will receive your complete application portfolio for review. All applications are carefully reviewed. We take into consideration how well you may "fit" with the TCMC mission and values, your MCAT scores, academic records, personal statements, essays, and extracurricular activities.

We understand how difficult it is to wait until you are notified of an interview. I would like to assure you that we will notify you as soon as possible what the committees' decision is by email.
Best Regards,

My bad. I received the link in an e-mail titled Secondary Received, not in the complete e-mail. Anyway, if you just submitted the secondary, I'm sure you'll be receiving that e-mail soon. If it's been a while since you submitted, maybe check your spam folder and if there's nothing there, give them a call.

Question for current TCMC students.

How do you feel about the curriculum relying less on standard lecture formats and more on other types of learning?

Do you like this new type of teaching? Is it working for you?

Rejected today post-secondary. My numbers aren't great, so I am not surprised. I was offered a chance to apply to their MBS program.

can you give more info on the mbs program?

Last edited:
can you give more info on the mbs program?
There's a thread about it somewhere on SDN. I would give a link, but I'm at work and can't find it at the moment.

From that thread, it seems REALLY bad.

does anyone know when the september/october interviewees will be notified of final decisions?

Does anone have the numbers of interviewed and accepted students for last year? Or know where I can find them?

Does anone have the numbers of interviewed and accepted students for last year? Or know where I can find them?

I am not sure as to where to find that information but I do remember that they mentioned that they had something close to a 2.5 acceptance/matriculation ratio... so I think that suggested that if this year they are hoping to matriculate 100 students they will most likely accept ~250. I could be wrong but that is what I remember...

Here's some of that info from last year's MSAR:

Number of verified in-state applicants: 816
Number of interviewed in-state applicants: 267
Number of matriculated in-state applicants: 40

Number of verified out-of-state applicants: 3,535
Number of interviewed out-of-state applicants: 270
Number of matriculated out-of-state applicants: 25
Number of deferred out-of-state applicants: 1

Unfortunately, the MSAR only provides the number of matriculated applicants, not the number of applicants who were accepted. Also keep in mind that the numbers should be different this year since they're increasing the class size from 65 to 100, as impermanence pointed out.

Annnnnnd, assuming my math is correct (and it might not be...don't judge :oops: :p ) and that the 2.5 acceptance/matriculation ratio is what they're using, here's what that translates to in terms of general chances if you have an interview:

In-state:
2.5 accepted / 1 matriculated = x / 40
x = 100 accepted
Chances if you're in-state and have an interview = 100 accepted / 267 interviewed = 37%

Out-of-state:
2.5 accepted / 1 matriculated = x / 26
x = 65 accepted
Chances if you're out-of-state and have an interview = 65 accepted / 270 interviewed = 24%

Last edited:
Decision Pending Reviewed 10/05/2012 12:32 pm

Interviewed 9/17

I guess that means they made a decision :p

I know this is quite neurotic, but I'm really hoping my decision was made after lunch, rather than before :p

Same for me. Who wants to be the brave soul to call up and see if you can get your decision over the phone? I know EVMS has been giving them out all week

I thought about it, and keeping it anonymous unless they said they could tell me. I'm too chicken though :)

Drexel rejected pre-interview earlier this week, so my confidence is shot. I'm fearing a rejection or waitlist =(

If anyone does call, let us know how it works :)

I just called and asked if they did it. They do not

What is a community based model of medical education exactly? Evidence and community based?

Here's some of that info from last year's MSAR:

Number of verified in-state applicants: 816
Number of interviewed in-state applicants: 267
Number of matriculated in-state applicants: 40

Number of verified out-of-state applicants: 3,535
Number of interviewed out-of-state applicants: 270
Number of matriculated out-of-state applicants: 25
Number of deferred out-of-state applicants: 1

Unfortunately, the MSAR only provides the number of matriculated applicants, not the number of applicants who were accepted. Also keep in mind that the numbers should be different this year since they're increasing the class size from 65 to 100, as impermanence pointed out.

Annnnnnd, assuming my math is correct (and it might not be...don't judge :oops: :p ) and that the 2.5 acceptance/matriculation ratio is what they're using, here's what that translates to in terms of general chances if you have an interview:

In-state:
2.5 accepted / 1 matriculated = x / 40
x = 100 accepted
Chances if you're in-state and have an interview = 100 accepted / 267 interviewed = 37%

Out-of-state:
2.5 accepted / 1 matriculated = x / 26
x = 65 accepted
Chances if you're out-of-state and have an interview = 65 accepted / 270 interviewed = 24%

I am an OOS student, and I don't interview until January.... I feel like I'm interviewing so late! I hope I make that 24% haha

I hope I make that 24% haha

I didn't completely make that number up, but I have no idea whether it's accurate or not. It could definitely be higher than that for all I know! :p Anyway, your numbers must be fine since you received an interview, so just go in prepared and don't outwardly freak out too much, and I'm sure you'll have a decent shot! :xf:

I don't interview until January

I wouldn't worry about that. TCMC doesn't operate on a rolling admissions basis. It offers regular admission four times/year. You'll probably hear back on the February 27th date. From the FAQ section of their website: Does TCMC have rolling admissions? No. TCMC offers admission five times per year. Early decision candidates will be notified by October 1, 2012. Regular admission candidates will be notified by October 24, 2012, December 19, 2012, February 27, 2013, and April 24, 2013. Once the class is filled, TCMC maintains a waitlist to draw additional accepted candidates as spaces become available.

AHH!!! First interview invite! I was complete literally 5 days ago (sept mcats). I love this school. It's close were I live and eventually want to practice. I was about to give up on the whole process. For the late submitters out there... there's hope yet!

Why do you love this school?

AHH!!! First interview invite! I was complete literally 5 days ago (sept mcats). I love this school. It's close were I live and eventually want to practice. I was about to give up on the whole process. For the late submitters out there... there's hope yet!

Stats? If you don't mind... also when did you get verified?

Interview Invite yesterday! Earliest available date was mid-January. 31S, 3.6 sGPA, non-trad.

Is there anyway to see if someone cancels their interview, so that someone else can take the earlier spot? I was just wondering because I am scheduled for January 14th, but would love an earlier date.

Is there anyway to see if someone cancels their interview, so that someone else can take the earlier spot? I was just wondering because I am scheduled for January 14th, but would love an earlier date.

I'd call admissions and ask if you could be notified if an earlier date opens up.

I'm a little confused as to what the message I am seeing when I log onto the application system for this school. Under the "Admissions Interview" page, it states:

No appointment to be scheduled for application year 2013

Does this mean that they've rejected me? I didn't receive an email or anything from them saying I was rejected. But I've heard that some schools don't send out rejection emails (and they instead state the decision on your application login).

I was only complete for this school on Oct. 12th, so I'd be a little surprised if they had already reviewed my information and made an interview/rejection decision.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.