2012-2013 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would email/call them to make sure. It's better than guessing. They're pretty good with email responses. I was complete on the same date as well, and they've already reviewed my app.

Yea I just left a message at their admissions office. Maybe since I'm a New Yorker, they were quick to reject me. But in any case, thanks for the response and congrats on the II! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I just left a message at their admissions office. Maybe since I'm a New Yorker, they were quick to reject me. But in any case, thanks for the response and congrats on the II! Good luck!

I would not jump to any conclusions yet. I think that we all had that message at the beginning. At least I had it and I was subsequently invited to interview. Good luck!

Oh ok. Today is the first time that I checked, so I wasn't sure what to make of it. In that case, here's hoping that I get some good news from them, haha. Congrats on your II as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm an honorary New Yorker! I don't think they have any reason to be bias against yankees. Good luck!

Does anyone know Scranton well, I heard there is a lot of racism there. Any word on this?

Is it too late to send them my primary?

Giantra Volta said:
I'm a little confused as to what the message I am seeing when I log onto the application system for this school. Under the "Admissions Interview" page, it states:

No appointment to be scheduled for application year 2013

Does this mean that they've rejected me?

Nope! Everyone has that message at first. Whether you're going to be granted an interview invite or not, the next thing to show up after "application complete" will be "sent to screeners." At this point, you'll know that the admissions committee is reviewing your application. An hour after I was sent to the screeners, I received an interview invite. If you're granted an invite, it will say "interview pending" (at this point the message you're seeing should disappear) then finally "interview scheduled" once you've set a date.

Cuongoff said:
Is it too late to send them my primary?
I don't think so. They seem to have a quick turn-around time once you're complete, and they don't operate on a rolling admissions basis. Just be aware that the secondary is pretty lengthy!

Last edited:
Does anyone know Scranton well, I heard there is a lot of racism there. Any word on this?

It used to be a primarily white area during the coal boom that Scranton is known for. However, after that industry ended Scranton lost a lot of money and some of it's neighborhoods started to change. The average income in 2010 was about $20,000 and I don't think it's changed much. As you drive from block to block, there can be drastic changes. Some have gorgeous houses while others look terrible.

With all that said, Scranton have a very low crime rate and I feel 100% safe. In fact, it's a pretty fun town. If you go talk to some 80 year old white guy, I'm sure you could find a racist comment or two, but if you look hard enough, you can find that anywhere.

It used to be a primarily white area during the coal boom that Scranton is known for. However, after that industry ended Scranton lost a lot of money and some of it's neighborhoods started to change. The average income in 2010 was about $20,000 and I don't think it's changed much. As you drive from block to block, there can be drastic changes. Some have gorgeous houses while others look terrible.

With all that said, Scranton have a very low crime rate and I feel 100% safe. In fact, it's a pretty fun town. If you go talk to some 80 year old white guy, I'm sure you could find a racist comment or two, but if you look hard enough, you can find that anywhere.

You are 100% correct in saying that racism is everywhere however in some areas racism is more prevalent than others. Attending TCMC would be nice but I probably would live outside the area and commute in. I have kids and a wife so their safety is a priority. I have to look for a good school district etc...

You are 100% correct in saying that racism is everywhere however in some areas racism is more prevalent than others. Attending TCMC would be nice but I probably would live outside the area and commute in. I have kids and a wife so their safety is a priority. I have to look for a good school district etc...

Then it really depends on 1. how far you're willing to drive and 2. how much money you have. There are some absolutely gorgeous areas in Scranton and other areas which are not so nice. If you're willing to commute 20-30 minutes each way, there are some really nice neighborhoods. I'd tour Scranton before jumping to any conclusions. If you have any more specific questions, PM me. I've been living there for a year and a half now.

Members don't see this ad :)
II today, wtf nothing available until feb??? seems really late for an interview, do applicants still have a shot of getting into schools with interviews in feb?

Deferred until December. I guess it's better than wait list?

Deferred until December. I guess it's better than wait list?

TCMC, from what I understood, doesn't have a "wait list". They review the apps and decide whether to accept on one of those 4 dates or to re-review your app during the next date for acceptances.
I didn't get an e-mail yet today, so I maybe I didn't get reviewed for this first group. I interviewed October 1st and they said I probably wouldn't, I was just being optimistic. Waiting another 2 months is going to be rough -_-

MS4 from TCMC here:

There are a lot of greats about this school, but there are caveats you should be made aware of:

You should strongly consider coming here for the folllowing reasons:

1) You are from NEPA or have some connection to this region
2) This is the only place you got into
3) You don't mind going into a less competitive specialty

Why do I mention this? Not that TCMC has anything inherent bad about it. It is just that with a lack of basic science research available to students and lack of track record for its graduating students at residencies (by virtue of it being new), it may be very difficult to get a highly competitive residency slot.

Not a bad place to learn though. You get all the time in the world

MS4 from TCMC here:

There are a lot of greats about this school, but there are caveats you should be made aware of:

Why do I mention this? Not that TCMC has anything inherent bad about it. It is just that with a lack of basic science research available to students and lack of track record for its graduating students at residencies (by virtue of it being new), it may be very difficult to get a highly competitive residency slot.

Can you please comment on how you feel the clinical years has prepared you to enter residency? Specifically, the 3rd year longitudinal curriculum. Do you feel that not having an academic medical center will put you at a disadvantage?

TCMC, from what I understood, doesn't have a "wait list". They review the apps and decide whether to accept on one of those 4 dates or to re-review your app during the next date for acceptances.
I didn't get an e-mail yet today, so I maybe I didn't get reviewed for this first group. I interviewed October 1st and they said I probably wouldn't, I was just being optimistic. Waiting another 2 months is going to be rough -_-

At my interview, I'm fairly certain they said you'll be accepted, deferred, wait listed, or rejected.

for those other september interviewees:

on my interview day, my status changed to, "decision pending"
then a couple weeks later to, "decision pending reviewed"

is this what everyone's status says?
I'm guessing decision pending reviewed means they made a decision and are just waiting until today to release it?

Good Luck today everyone!

for those other september interviewees:

on my interview day, my status changed to, "decision pending"
then a couple weeks later to, "decision pending reviewed"

is this what everyone's status says?
I'm guessing decision pending reviewed means they made a decision and are just waiting until today to release it?

Good Luck today everyone!

Yes, my status says "decision pending reviewed" since 10/5. We should get an email today (hopefully)

At my interview, I'm fairly certain they said you'll be accepted, deferred, wait listed, or rejected.

no waitlist is made until the last release date. so its only accepted, rejected, or deferred at this point

Accepted!! I received the phone call last Thursday but got the official letter today!. I interviewed on 9/17 (OOS)

Just got the acceptance email as well. It's a somewhat personalized acceptance letter, which was really nice, and is probably why people are getting them at different times since they can't just send a mass email out to all who are accepted.

Congrats! When did you interview?

I interview in Jan. What's the interview like?
It's really relaxed and informative. They have the interviews first thing (because they don't want you nervous all day) and then they bring you on a tour and give you a presentation about the school. The interviews themselves was very conversational. I had one with a faculty member and another with a student. The entire admissions team helps make it a very nice and relaxed day (well, as much as an interview day can be relaxing!)

Oh yeah, there is also an "exit interview" right before you leave. I don't think it counts as an actual interview - it's just a chance to ask any remaining questions.

Does anyone know if interviews will be cancelled this upcoming week due to the hurricane?

Does anyone know if interviews will be cancelled this upcoming week due to the hurricane?

I highly doubt it will be canceled, and if they ddn't send any updates, there shouldn't be any changes. good luck on your interview this week!

Accepted!! I received the phone call last Thursday but got the official letter today!. I interviewed on 9/17 (OOS)

Same here! interviewed same day and was accepted. Do you know if there will be a status change when they receive the deposit?

Monday's interviews were cancelled I believe, but I just called both and admissions office and a local hotel I'm staying at and this Friday's interviews should be unaffected!

Same here! interviewed same day and was accepted. Do you know if there will be a status change when they receive the deposit?

They should change or you can also call and make sure they got it. I sent my deposit via UPS so I can track it just in case.

Monday's interviews were cancelled I believe, but I just called both and admissions office and a local hotel I'm staying at and this Friday's interviews should be unaffected!

Did you call 570-504-9068? All I ever get it a voice message. I've tried calling several times over the last few weeks.

I tried that one and it went to voicemail, so then I tried 570 504 9691. It's Kristin Brown, the Admissions Coordinator/Recruiter. She might be for the MBS program, but told me interviews for all programs shouldn't be affected.

MS4 from TCMC here:

Thank you for your input! I am out of state, recently accepted. During my interview I got the impression that most rotations are done under an ambulatory setting..is this accurate? Do you think that attending TCMC limited your choice of residencies or specialties? I would really appreciate any other info you could provide..Scranton, board scores..etc.

did you guys need a parking permit to park at tcmc during the interview

If my parking permit doesn't come in time, is there visitors parking I can park?

Status
Not open for further replies.