2012-2013 UMDNJ - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3. Please provide any additional insight into those personal characteristics you believe make you an ideal candidate for NJMS? (Please respond in 1500 characters or less)

4. For Out of State residents:
If your legal residence on your AMCAS application is not NJ, please answer questions 4a and 4b:

a. Please describe the specific and/or unique reasons you have applied to NJMS. (Please respond in 1000 characters or less)

b. Please discuss any significant connections to New Jersey (i.e. family, previous residence, etc.). (Please respond in 1000 characters or less)

8. Is there any additional information you would like to share with the committee as it relates to your candidacy for medical school? (Please respond in 1500 characters or less)

9. If you are not attending college/university full-time as of fall 2012, please describe your planned activities from June 2012 through August 2013. (Please respond in 1500 characters or less)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this school OOS friendly at all? I'm considering adding it to my list.

Is this school OOS friendly at all? I'm considering adding it to my list.

I can't remember the OOS acceptance numbers off the top of my head - I'd buy the usnews data or use someone's subscription to check that out for all schools (note: the MSAR will tell you how many OOS people matriculated, while USNews will tell you how many were accepted). There are some OOSers, mostly from New York. Those OOSers who are accepted and choose to come to NJMS pay in-state tuition after the first year.

I am an incoming M1 at NJMS and I have been affiliated with the school for a number of years. I chose to come here because the clinical exposure and training here is truly top notch for a medical student. I'll be happy to answer any questions throughout the app cycle.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't remember the OOS acceptance numbers off the top of my head - I'd buy the usnews data or use someone's subscription to check that out for all schools (note: the MSAR will tell you how many OOS people matriculated, while USNews will tell you how many were accepted). There are some OOSers, mostly from New York. Those OOSers who are accepted and choose to come to NJMS pay in-state tuition after the first year.

I am an incoming M1 at NJMS and I have been affiliated with the school for a number of years. I chose to come here because the clinical exposure and training here is truly top notch for a medical student. I'll be happy to answer any questions throughout the app cycle.

If you dont mind sharing, did you pick NJMS over any other schools? (RWJ comes to mind).
If so, why?

How hard is it to get to this school? I haven't taken my MCAT yet but my GPA is 3.5 right now and I am a rising junior. I think this is one of my top schools. I hope I can get in.

If you dont mind sharing, did you pick NJMS over any other schools? (RWJ comes to mind).
If so, why?

After meeting with a few admissions committees and touring medical schools during a gap year, I decided I would apply early decision to NJMS. Regarding why I picked NJMS, I happened to write something up for a school-specific thread in the past, so I might as well quote it here:

I've been staff, student, and/or volunteer in multiple branches of the UMDNJ system for a few years. I will be attending NJMS in the fall.

The chair of the AMA is the chair of neurosurgery at NJMS, and the chair of the AMA student section is an NJMS MD MPH student. Medical students and faculty from all medical school attend AMA meetings, where these two, among others, make speeches for the medical community. NJMS has enjoyed strong national recognition from our leaders and their positions in national organizations.

NJMS annually enjoys a strong match list, with students placing at top hospitals like MGH/B&W/Spaulding (Harvard), Barnes Jewish (WUSTL), Yale New Haven, NY Presbyterian (Columbia/Cornell), etc.
I'm going to talk about some things I've experiences through my time with NJMS. I recently sat in on a second year pharmacology lecture. The guest speaker was Dr. Robert Mitchell, state medical examiner in charge, for New Jersey. He started off the lecture by saying how lucky everyone was to be at NJMS, how the clinical experience is top notch because of the area the hospital is in and the hands on, start day one, approach to clinical training. It seemed like a pretty typical type of speech, but he went on. He talked about his experience in residency, saying that in his residency group there were students from Harvard and Mayo Clinic. It became apparent at the beginning of his residency training that he had been much better prepared and trained procedure-wise than those students, and he began teaching those students from top medical schools tips and tricks in the clinical setting. He was later chosen chief resident of his program, and has certainly made a name for himself in his field.

Indeed, clinical training is an oft-stated strength of NJMS. The student-run clinic is unique in that medical students take part in it starting their first year (first month really) of medical school. It is an elective and you get to choose how little or how much time you dedicate to patient work - even as a first year medical student. The emergency room is the only level one trauma center in New Jersey. As a volunteer there, I witnessed an incredible scene that epitomizes the clinical training experience at NJMS. There was a gunshot victim, immediately sped into trauma. It was some point between June and July, and I had just introduced myself to a 3rd year med student in the ER who was just starting his first rotation, and just had taken STEP 1. 15 minutes later he is doing chest compressions in a trauma bay during emergency surgery. In this lies the best kept secret of choosing a medical school. If you are a patient, you choose the best medical center for being treated by top physicians (and you do not pay top dollar to let med students play around with you). If you are a prospective medical student, one strategy is to choose the place that will make you the best clinician. This is an area in which NJMS strives. Regarding bench and clinical research, I have been lucky enough to work with multiple bench researchers at the school, leading to publications. If you are a med student - it is not a matter of luck getting published. It is very easy to link up with clinical and bench research groups, and there are $3000 stipends for medical student research. I recall a first year med student shooting one email to Dr. Alland (at the time one of the most in-the-news medical researchers in the country due to his TB breakthrough http://goo.gl/Pq2vi ), and the next day receiving an offer to work with a project in his lab. That is the status quo; the amount of pubs you get before graduating is up to how much time you want to put into clinical and/or bench research, it will never be a matter of not getting an offer. Good luck to everyone making choices, you really can't go wrong - medical school is 9 parts how hard you work and 1 part where you are.

How hard is it to get to this school? I haven't taken my MCAT yet but my GPA is 3.5 right now and I am a rising junior. I think this is one of my top schools. I hope I can get in.

From the admissions website, "The average mean GPA and MCAT score for the last entering class was a 3.6 GPA and 31 MCAT score. However, the credentials are just one aspect of our decision. We consider all of the information submitted for each applicant before completing the screening process."

Last edited:
They're avg accepted cGPA is a 3.6 with a sGPA of 3.5 and MCAT of 32...aim to beat their MCAT since you're a tad bit under their GPA...also, they like in-staters

Does anyone have the secondaries to this school?

**meaning the secondaries from the last cycle? does NJMS reuse secondary essays?

Last edited:
Anyone know when they start sending out secondaries? I'm doing EDP so should I expect something sooner?

Great school. Great clinical education. Pumped to apply and hopefully interview :)

I just got their secondary.

1. Additional insight on what makes you perfect candidate for this school 1500 words
2. (Out of state) Why are you applying to this school? 1000
3.Significant connections to New Jersey?
4. Additional Information ? 1500
5. Activities from June to August?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got their secondary.

1. Additional insight on what makes you perfect candidate for this school 1500 words
2. (Out of state) Why are you applying to this school? 1000
3.Significant connections to New Jersey?
5. Activities from June to August?

To clarify:

2a. (Out of state) Why are you applying to this school? 1000
2b. (Out of state) Significant connections to New Jersey?
5. If you are taking a year off, what are your plans for the upcoming year?

I got the secondary without even being verified.. nice!

To clarify:

2a. (Out of state) Why are you applying to this school? 1000
2b. (Out of state) Significant connections to New Jersey?
5. If you are taking a year off, what are your plans for the upcoming year?

I got the secondary without even being verified.. nice!

How did you get it? Via e-mail? I noticed it is on the website but I just got verified less than 24 hours ago so I wasn't sure when to expect the secondary.

How did you get it? Via e-mail? I noticed it is on the website but I just got verified less than 24 hours ago so I wasn't sure when to expect the secondary.

I'm not even verified yet and I just got an email about the secondary. You should get one soon dont worry.

Submitted!

Only little problem is that once you submit they give you a summary of your secondary that you can print out, and the last letter of my last word in the essay and the period got cut off. You can still figure out exactly what im trying to say but im a tad annoyed because I definitely did not make this mistake. Maybe it wont show up like that in their copy. Oh well, one down!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/nj_assembly_passes_bill_for_ru.html

In brief, Rutgers would obtain all units of UMDNJ (except SOM) while Rowan university would obtain UMDNJ-SOM campus. The University Hospital would be free to form an independent partnership with other groups while still serving as the primary teaching hospital for NJMS. It will be interesting to see what happens with this merger and whether it will benefit or harm current and perspective students. According to an email UMDNJ sent to its former students, the transition will begin to occur July 2013.

I'm applying here OOS. i'd def love the chance to come here

Received secondary pre-verification.

Really like what has been said about this school by both the school itself and current/previous students! Hoping to finish my secondary sometime this week so that I can send it in as soon as I am verified. Would be ecstatic to get an interview here!

Just got my interview invite! I'm applying EDP so hopefully I'll know if I got in soon after the interview.

For the "any additional comments" question, is anyone considering writing a paragraph or so on "why NJMS"?

The way this question is worded, I am not sure if it would be appropriate to explain "why NJMS" here. At the same time I am not positive about what they would find appropriate other than an explanation of something negative from your app.

I would hate to have space to write to them and not use it, so I am just looking for a second interpretation of what one might find appropriate to address in this space.

Thanks!

I left mine blank. I didn't think it made sense to put something that might not be relevant just bc i thought they might want to read something. If they wanted to know why you chose to apply to their school specifically they would make you write an essay about it. Just my opinion.

Does anyone know if they require your letters of recommendation before you get your interview? For some reason I got an interview even though my letters haven't been sent to AMCAS yet. Do they look at the letters after your interview or something? I want to schedule my interview but I'm worried that the interviewer might need the letters to make his/her assessment.

I was under the impression that they need your LOR before an interview. Are you EDP? that might explain it

I was under the impression that they need your LOR before an interview. Are you EDP? that might explain it

Yea I'm EDP. It's going to take at least a week and a half for my school to write their committee statement which is why I'm not sure if I should schedule the interview after the statement's been released or if I should get an interview as early as possible.

did anyone ever get any confirmation that their secondary and/or file was complete? i sent mine in over a week ago and never heard anything...

I called them and asked if my app was complete. I don't think they email anything.

Yea they don't send you an e-mail if you're complete. You have to call them.

Thanks, typicalindian! You can PM me if you have questions of any sort :)

Thanks, typicalindian! You can PM me if you have questions of any sort :)

Congrats! That was really quick! When did you interview? And if you don't mind could you post your stats?

Congrats! That was really quick! When did you interview? And if you don't mind could you post your stats?

I'd rather a PM about stats - they have changed from last year. I interviewed last Tuesday on 7/10

I interviewed today for ED. Very laid back. So much so that I was thrown off by it at first lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.