2012-2013 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

hey everybody, good luck with applications. USUHS is my top school, hope to see some of you there.

out of curiosity, if you applied on June 5 (1st day for AMCAS submission), when do you think we'll hear from USU about the secondary app?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everybody, good luck with applications. USUHS is my top school, hope to see some of you there.

out of curiosity, if you applied on June 5 (1st day for AMCAS submission), when do you think we'll hear from USU about the secondary app?
Last year it came the same day AMCAS released it to the schools. That happened earlier last year (6/17 versus this year's 6/29). You'll definitely be verified by then, so I'd be ready to roll. It looks like their interviews got rolling early, too.

Anybody here interested in the PHS division? Do they really only have two spots for that? I would also be open to Air Force, but PHS with NIH Fellowship sounds awesome.

Last year it came the same day AMCAS released it to the schools. That happened earlier last year (6/17 versus this year's 6/29). You'll definitely be verified by then, so I'd be ready to roll. It looks like their interviews got rolling early, too.

thanks man, good to hear. too bad amcas is waiting so long this year. I'm gonna be sitting on my hands for the next three weeks waiting.

another thought: does anybody know what the essay question(s) were last year, and if it will be the same prompt this year?

Anybody here interested in the PHS division? Do they really only have two spots for that? I would also be open to Air Force, but PHS with NIH Fellowship sounds awesome.

I think they expanded the PHS class spots to 6 if I remember the information they gave us at the interviews last year correctly.

thanks man, good to hear. too bad amcas is waiting so long this year. I'm gonna be sitting on my hands for the next three weeks waiting.

another thought: does anybody know what the essay question(s) were last year, and if it will be the same prompt this year?

I believe last year's secondary prompt was something along the lines of "What is your motivation towards military medicine?" If you are not prior service you need to be prepared to answer that question a lot throughout the application/interview process regardless of whether it's the secondary prompt or not.

Some advice:

1. USUHS is very strict rolling admissions. Get your app in as soon as possible. Navy started waitlisting people after only the 4th interview day.

2. Don't choose "no preference" for your service selection. That doesn't exactly give them a warm and fuzzy on how bad you want to be in the military. The branches are rather different and if you can't choose one it looks like you are either trying to game it or not very serious. It is okay to rank all three, just put one as your top choice.

3. If you are a reapplicant, write a new essay.

Good luck to all!

I will add to Cooper's excellent advice that USUHS is the military medical school, and its mission is to train military medical leaders. USUHS is not just "getting paid to go to school." You are signing off on roughly 15 years of active duty service as a military medical officer (4 at USUHS, +/- 4 residency, 7 AD years) in one fell swoop. It is a tremendous commitment, and the more you can familiarize yourself with military life the better off you will be, both in terms of your decision making and in making the case for your admission to the ADCOM.

I got secondary already even when I'm not verified.... is this normal?

Hey guys, I'm in Navy ROTC and trying to decide whether to make my personal statement on the secondary Navy specific (since I will be going Navy, since I have a commitment to them) or if it should be more "branch-neutral". Any priors/ROTC/Academy folks have an opinion on this? Thanks!

I got secondary already even when I'm not verified.... is this normal?

I read on the 2011-2012 thread that USUHS gets hard copies of our applications from AMCAS and not electronic. So they don't have anyone's primary yet, even those of us who are verified. So, they just got a list of the people who are applying to USUHS and sent us all secondaries today

Some advice:

1. USUHS is very strict rolling admissions. Get your app in as soon as possible. Navy started waitlisting people after only the 4th interview day.

2. Don't choose "no preference" for your service selection. That doesn't exactly give them a warm and fuzzy on how bad you want to be in the military. The branches are rather different and if you can't choose one it looks like you are either trying to game it or not very serious. It is okay to rank all three, just put one as your top choice.

3. If you are a reapplicant, write a new essay.

Are you talking about just for giving our branch selection on interview day? I am wondering whether my personal statement for the secondary should be neutral in regards to the different branches or if I should say that I am going Navy already at this point. I am coming from NROTC, so it would be kind of apparent that I am going Navy anyways

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about just for giving our branch selection on interview day? I am wondering whether my personal statement for the secondary should be neutral in regards to the different branches or if I should say that I am going Navy already at this point. I am coming from NROTC, so it would be kind of apparent that I am going Navy anyways

Yes, I am mostly talking about the preference sheet you fill out on interview day. However, if you know you have a preference there is nothing wrong with including that in your essay.

I am wondering whether my personal statement for the secondary should be neutral in regards to the different branches or if I should say that I am going Navy already at this point. I am coming from NROTC, so it would be kind of apparent that I am going Navy anyways

If it helps, I wrote about the Navy in my personal statement for the secondary and I was not prior/NROTC. I was completely Navy or bust and if usuhs didn't give me a Navy spot I was going to do HPSP somewhere else; I didn't feel the need to hide my feelings from them and on my preference sheet I ranked Navy highest and ranked all others as "would not consider." I don't think it hurt my application at all - both my interviewers were not Navy (well, one was prior Marine, Navy in med school but married into the AF) and it didn't seem to matter. I had experience with Sea Cadets in high school which I wrote about in my secondary; they both brought it up and I think they understood why I wanted Navy over anything else. Hope it helps :)

I can not stress enough the importance of interviewing early! That means getting your application in early. Navy and AF fill fast. Historically AF filled first, but in the past several years it's been Navy. I was blessed with interviewing on their second week of interviews so I had no problem getting a Navy spot, but others didn't get their first choice service. This is especially true for priors locked into a service because you can't be offered an Army spot and you may stay on the waitlist longer if there's nothing open in your service when they consider your application after your interview.

Just a formatting question for the secondary. On the letters of rec page there's space for like 10 letters and I've got a committee letter that's included my physician letter, academic, military, etc, etc.

On the USUHS form do I fill them all out as if they're going to get each on - or do I literally just fill out the box for the 1 letter they are going to get from my advisor?

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Server sent it in 3x.

Last edited:
Just a formatting question for the secondary. On the letters of rec page there's space for like 10 letters and I've got a committee letter that's included my physician letter, academic, military, etc, etc.

On the USUHS form do I fill them all out as if they're going to get each on - or do I literally just fill out the box for the 1 letter they are going to get from my advisor?

Hopefully that makes some sense.

I think you should fill out only the one box for your letter from your adviser. I think that will potentially avoid the confusion of expecting your LORs being sent separately. However, you might include a note to say it is a committee style letter and contains 5 letters in 1.

Are you using the AMCAS LOR service?
If so you should list it exactly how its listed in the AMCAS.

For anyone out there who may care, if you've got a committee letter that combines everything - on your "checkrec" page you need two things: 1) The name of your chairperson who's writing the letter and 2) the name of the physician who wrote your physician letter - even if its included in your Committee letter.

Hey on the secondary it says that you must complete all your coursework by June 1, 2013. Does anyone know if they make exceptions to that? Or is there a summer training program or something before school starts? I will finish my coursework by about the middle of June (a spring mini-term), but my school only has graduations in May and August. Anyone with thoughts?

I feel like an idiot but I also have a formatting question. When they say ¨double spaced¨ if you just keep typing will it automatically do this when you are directly inputing the info into the PS or do you physically have to press enter to make sure there is an additional line between them?

Hey on the secondary it says that you must complete all your coursework by June 1, 2013. Does anyone know if they make exceptions to that? Or is there a summer training program or something before school starts? I will finish my coursework by about the middle of June (a spring mini-term), but my school only has graduations in May and August. Anyone with thoughts?
I would guess that there are probably exceptions because there are schools like Northwestern who are on the quarter/trimester system whose classes don't graduate until June. However, for questions like this I would call the Office of Admissions. Their number is 1-800-772-1743 and their staff is the nicest and most helpful I have experienced.

I feel like an idiot but I also have a formatting question. When they say ¨double spaced¨ if you just keep typing will it automatically do this when you are directly inputing the info into the PS or do you physically have to press enter to make sure there is an additional line between them?
I think your best bet is to copy and paste it already double spaced from any word processor.

So I am finishing up my supplemental and I am not sure if anyone else here is currently serving but do you think I should take the picture with my Army Service Uniform on and all of my awards and everything or should I take it in civilian clothes or what?

Why this school needs SAT score? I have to request them....

Does anybody know when they are going to start extending interviews?? It looks like last year's thread showed interview invitations beginning in August, but I'm dying to know.
Yay USUHS!

So I am finishing up my supplemental and I am not sure if anyone else here is currently serving but do you think I should take the picture with my Army Service Uniform on and all of my awards and everything or should I take it in civilian clothes or what?

I did mine in uniform, but I think the picture was just shoulders up so it didn't end up showing ribbons, etc. anyway. But that was last year.

For anyone out there who may care, if you've got a committee letter that combines everything - on your "checkrec" page you need two things: 1) The name of your chairperson who's writing the letter and 2) the name of the physician who wrote your physician letter - even if its included in your Committee letter.

Thanks for the info. That was helpful!

Can't wait to hear something from this school.

I just want to double check, because I can't quite remember what I did last year, but is there a place on the secondary application where we're supposed to mark our preference? I can't find it, so I don't know if we tell them that the day of the interview, or what. Thank you in advance!

I just want to double check, because I can't quite remember what I did last year, but is there a place on the secondary application where we're supposed to mark our preference? I can't find it, so I don't know if we tell them that the day of the interview, or what. Thank you in advance!

The bold.

The bold.

Thanks CsHead! It does seem kind of odd, though. If you have people who are super gung-ho for, say, the Navy, and there's no open slots, it seems like that is expending a lot of time/money for both parties. But the adcom is in charge, so its their choice.

Interview invite! It's my first one so far and I am so excited! :)

Interview invite by email this morning.

3.62c/3.81s/34Q/prior service.

Me too! Came this morning. Are you also going on 9/13?

Haha. Did you get the first one for the 18th and corrected it to the 13th?

Haha. Did you get the first one for the 18th and corrected it to the 13th?
Yep! Anyone know whether I should rent a car? I hope to stay with a student host but don't want to make them drive me anywhere. And I doubt I'll be able to take the Metro to the host's place.

Yep! Anyone know whether I should rent a car? I hope to stay with a student host but don't want to make them drive me anywhere. And I doubt I'll be able to take the Metro to the host's place.

You shouldn't need to rent a car. The metro and a short walk can take you almost anywhere you need to go. Also I'd say the majority of students live withing walking distance of the metro or a bus stop to take them to school. There isn't much parking on campus so public transport is the main mode of travel.

Interview Invite today! can't wait to meet all of you guys!

Hey All,
I also got an interview invite for September 13th! I'm super excited to meet y'all and see the school. Question for all of you...are you going to stay with a student host? I have a few friends down in MD that I'd love to see and spend time with, but I wonder if it might be more beneficial to stay with a USUHS student for the night before...
What are your thoughts?

Hello all. I am a first time applicant with No prior service and I am looking to find out more about what to expect on interview day on 9/13. I know I should be able to further explain my motivation for military medicine but I was wondering of there were any recent matriculants that could shed some light on some of the specifics. Any pointers will be great! This is my #1 pick and I am looking forward to learning more!

Hey All,
I also got an interview invite for September 13th! I'm super excited to meet y'all and see the school. Question for all of you...are you going to stay with a student host? I have a few friends down in MD that I'd love to see and spend time with, but I wonder if it might be more beneficial to stay with a USUHS student for the night before...
What are your thoughts?
I personally think it would be better to stay with a host. I don't know for sure, but you never know who might be asked to give feedback on your application, and the more positive encounters the better. I know what you mean, though. Interviews are my only chance to travel this year and I want to make those trips count!

Hello all. I am a first time applicant with No prior service and I am looking to find out more about what to expect on interview day on 9/13. I know I should be able to further explain my motivation for military medicine but I was wondering of there were any recent matriculants that could shed some light on some of the specifics. Any pointers will be great! This is my #1 pick and I am looking forward to learning more!

As a non-prior myself and a new member of the Class of 2016. My advice to you would be to look professional and be attentive the details so you won't worry about your appearance on the interview day. Donuts and coffee will be provided to you in the morning. Eat them and get there early so you can chat with your fellow interviewees. There is a very good chance you will see them again. Relax, you have an interview so there is a spot for you in the class. Have as much fun as you can. Chat up the admissions staff in the office if they like you they may give you some hints.

As far as specific interview questions, I don't remember specific questions, but there will be questions about you being able to handle a military lifestyle. You have to realize when you sign your contract you are changing your lifestyle for the next 16 years minimum. It takes a lot of maturity to handle that kind of commitment. You will be asked about it. Do research on the school and the military medicine so you know what you are getting into.
The Fighting for Life documentary is a good place to start. PM me if you want to see it. The best thing you can do in your interview is to find something in common with your interviewer. For me, One interviewer and I both majored in Engineering so we talked about the differences between medicine and engineering. The other interviewer I had had read some of the same books so we talked about those.

Most of all relax, have fun, be yourself. You are interviewing to join the USUHS family so prepare to feel welcome.

good luck to everyone with the interview. be sure to share your experience! Im really hoping to get some love from USUHS soon.

z

Invite to Interview today!!! For SEP 20th. I had my secondary completed on 24 July.

do you mind sharing your stats with the rest of us?

Anyone else flying? Which airport and how are you getting to the school after you arrive at the airport?

Just looking for ideas! Thanks :)

Anyone else flying? Which airport and how are you getting to the school after you arrive at the airport?

Just looking for ideas! Thanks :)
I'm flying to Reagan and taking the Metro to Bethesda. Hopefully I'll get a host that's close to a Metro stop. They say it's easy to walk from the stop to the campus. Rental cars are about 130 a day, so there's really no other feasible option for besides public trans!

I'm flying to Reagan and taking the Metro to Bethesda. Hopefully I'll get a host that's close to a Metro stop. They say it's easy to walk from the stop to the campus. Rental cars are about 130 a day, so there's really no other feasible option for besides public trans!

This is a good plan. Parking at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center is at a premium so a very high percentage of the first and second year classes live by a metro or bus stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.