2012-2013 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Application submitted! I feel like a I'm a long shot for UAB since I'm OOS, but my dad went to optometry school at UAB and I'd really love to study at his alma mater! Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions about OOS applicants at UAB?

Good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a little theory I have regarding the lack of wait-list movement yet adcom's optimism...

Looking at the fbook group (and cross referencing with google...), I've noticed that a large number of OOS people have already accepted UAB-- 29 to be exact (2 being EMSAP people). I think this is because competition for med school is going up, so a lot of OOS aren't getting accepted elsewhere. The adcom didn't expect this (and how could they!) so they thought the list would move more than it has.

With that said, hopefully I'm wrong and we'll all get in! I just thought I'd share some of the neurotic work I've been doing the last few weeks with you guys!

I saw this on the UAB thread for 2011-2012. At least suggests more OOS chose UAB once they were accepted.

I'm an MS resident who has been living and working in AL since March. I'm hoping if I get accepted, that I can matriculate as an AL resident. I called the admissions office, and they said I could apply as an in-state now and that they would rule on whether that was accurate or not. However, I also want to apply to the University of MS, and that's impossible unless you're an MS resident. I'll just have to see how it turns out.

Did anybody get the email for UAB's MSTP program? I would love to apply MD/PhD, but I'm sure that I don't have the stats (and I have no ties to the state). Is this just an email they send to everyone with an MCAT over 30?

Did anybody get the email for UAB's MSTP program? I would love to apply MD/PhD, but I'm sure that I don't have the stats (and I have no ties to the state). Is this just an email they send to everyone with an MCAT over 30?
I don't know this for sure but I believe it is mostly something they send based on MCAT. I received it as well a after receiving my MCAT results last June.

I got that e-mail too, and I literally don't have a single hour of research on my application.

Submitted my primary June 27th, they are currently verifying for June 18th so still a couple weeks for me.

I was verified / processed yesterday. That took a little while.

Got my primary verified 7/28/2012, let the wait for secondaries begin.

Members don't see this ad :)
just got emailed about the mstp program. anybody know anything about it?

just got emailed about the mstp program. anybody know anything about it?

+1

I hadn't really looked at UAB but the email has me intrigued. They mention MCAT scores in the email, any idea if/how they might know we have research experience? Given its MSTP that seems important, and I have some pretty interesting research, but I am unsure how they would know about it without receiving a primary from me.

+1

I hadn't really looked at UAB but the email has me intrigued. They mention MCAT scores in the email, any idea if/how they might know we have research experience? Given its MSTP that seems important, and I have some pretty interesting research, but I am unsure how they would know about it without receiving a primary from me.

Same here, how do they know my score if I never applied? Looks sketchy.

Got one as well. Didn't apply either. I don't think Alabama is my kind of state to live in.

Also got the MSTP e-mail as well. Anyone received secondaries yet?

Any other EDP applicants out there? By the way, the secondary isn't bad at all. ;)

The only question is "Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?" You get 1500 characters. And then there is also an area to add anything else they need to know about you. Other than that, you just rearrange your activities and add additional information if you feel compelled.

The only question is "Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now?" You get 1500 characters. And then there is also an area to add anything else they need to know about you. Other than that, you just rearrange your activities and add additional information if you feel compelled.

if you want the highest chance of receiving interview invite/acceptance, I highly recommend you to rewrite everything; dont just say what you did during those activities, tell them what you learned from it and how it would make you a better physician. my gpa was in the smp/do category, but I re-wrote everything and that got me a quick interview invite and a eventual waitlist acceptance.

if you want the highest chance of receiving interview invite/acceptance, I highly recommend you to rewrite everything; dont just say what you did during those activities, tell them what you learned from it and how it would make you a better physician. my gpa was in the smp/do category, but I re-wrote everything and that got me a quick interview invite and a eventual waitlist acceptance.
Thanks for the advice, will do!

For those of you who have received secondaries, how long did you have to wait between your primary getting verified and receiving the secondary? Just got verified this week and am wondering when to be looking for a secondary.

I haven't received a secondary yet. I was verified by AMCAS on 7/19-ish.

Anyone else receive a secondary from UAB?

As far I can tell, only EDP applicants have gotten secondaries so far.

I got that e-mail too, and I literally don't have a single hour of research on my application.

In my search for schools that would accept a PharmD instead of a bachelors (which as a question is laughable as it is) UAB's medical dean returned my call and basically told me not to apply.

I got the email and I deleted it quicker than an action potential.

For those of you who have received secondaries, how long did you have to wait between your primary getting verified and receiving the secondary? Just got verified this week and am wondering when to be looking for a secondary.

According to UAB's website, they expect to have their secondary open by 8/27 (https://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/education/prospective/app-proc/app-status/info-current-app). It's also my understanding that all applicants are asked to fill out the secondary.

Does anyone know how many applicants are applying EDP? The number isn't listed online anywhere—only that 10 were accepted last year. If no one knows, do any EDP applicants from last year remember how many interviewees were present during the EDP interview day? Thanks!

Was secondary sent by snail mail or email? -thanks

Secondary submitteddd. and now we play the waiting game...

On the secondary you have to list the end date of all your extracurriculars or medically related experiences, but what if you are still a part of it? On some it has a ongoing: list the number of hours per week, but even then you have to list an end date and the number of occasions? Just wondering what to do.

Does anyone know how they feel about sending additional letters of rec? Is the MAX they take 5 (3 teacher + 2 personal) if you are sending them individually? Or would they be open to an extra one if you are non-traditional?

I figured I would ask here before calling and bugging them.

Just submitted the secondary. Let's begin the waiting process.

Got my secondary Monday morning and submitted it Tuesday night.

And so it begins

anybody else have difficulty with saving responses in the activities section?

For the people who have submitted their secondary, has your status changed from "Secondary in Process" yet?

My status now says "Secondary Complete & Under Review"

I'm filling out the secondary right now and am confused by the "reapplicant" question. It asks if we're ever applied to UAB, which I haven't. It then asks if I've ever applied to another medical school, which I put yes for, since I'm a reapplicant. It then asks "If you are a reapplicant, describe how you have improved your overall credentials for the current application year, specifically addressing any concerns raised in feedback you received from the Admissions Committee. "

My question is, do I fill this out if I am not a reapplicant to UAB?

i'm filling out the secondary right now and am confused by the "reapplicant" question. It asks if we're ever applied to uab, which i haven't. It then asks if i've ever applied to another medical school, which i put yes for, since i'm a reapplicant. It then asks "if you are a reapplicant, describe how you have improved your overall credentials for the current application year, specifically addressing any concerns raised in feedback you received from the admissions committee. "

my question is, do i fill this out if i am not a reapplicant to uab?

+1

I'm filling out the secondary right now and am confused by the "reapplicant" question. It asks if we're ever applied to UAB, which I haven't. It then asks if I've ever applied to another medical school, which I put yes for, since I'm a reapplicant. It then asks "If you are a reapplicant, describe how you have improved your overall credentials for the current application year, specifically addressing any concerns raised in feedback you received from the Admissions Committee. "

My question is, do I fill this out if I am not a reapplicant to UAB?

I was a little unclear on this too...I took it to pertain to UAB reapplicants specifically...not sure if that was correct or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.