2012-2013 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Have you previously applied to UA Phoenix Med?
If answered yes, “What have you done to strengthen your application since your last application?” (350 words)

2. Please describe the specific and/or unique reasons why you have applied to UA Phoenix Med. (350 words)

3. Elaborate on what has occurred within the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine. (350 words)

4. UA Phoenix Med champions diversity as a core value central to its mission. UA Phoenix Med defines diversity as acknowledging, understanding, accepting, valuing, nurturing and celebrating differences among people. We are committed to promoting and supporting diversity and inclusion in our research, clinical, and educational missions in order to meet the needs of the students, faculty, staff and the communities we serve. We believe diversity at the UA Phoenix Med creates role models, broadens perspectives, combats negative stereotyping and optimizes our ability to provide healthcare for all. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background during your childhood (i.e. K-12 education, socio-economic, family culture/tradition) and adulthood (life and work experience) that has enhanced your character and would contribute to the diversity (broadly defined) of our campus. (350 words)

5. What do you want the Admissions Committee to make sure they know about you, particularly if you have variances in your application (grade discrepancies’, institutional/criminal actions, gaps in school/employment timeline)? (350 words)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why isn't this school in the MSAR? Only the Tucson campus is...

I heard that its because they have not received full accreditation . They are still under accreditation of UA Tucson.

Members don't see this ad :)

Phoenix and Tucson have shared a single MSAR since 2007 because they are a single medical school with two-campuses. However, Phoenix will have a separate MSAR once they become a separate medical school from Tucson's branch - they are due for a decision later this summer - maybe in June. This means UA will have two separate medical schools, Phoenix and Tucson.

I'm currently accepted to the entering class in Phoenix and feel I've represented this pretty fairly, but I'd encourage you to contact the Admissions Office to verify - [email protected]. Erin, Wendy, Tara or anyone will be beyond helpful and fast to respond!

Attend one of the application workshops if they're still going on for the summer. I attended this last year and walked about very informed.

I heard that its because they have not received full accreditation . They are still under accreditation of UA Tucson.

Hey guys, current MS3-almost-4 here. Just thought I'd clear this up - for those of us before the matriculating class of 2012 (those entering this summer), we are under a single accreditation status with Tucson. We just received the email from Dean Flynn a few days ago that our school now has preliminary accreditation status from the LCME which will transition into full single accreditation status over the next four years and will be in full effect when the class entering this summer graduates (so, 2016).

For those of you applying this year, you would graduate from the University of Arizona COM-Phoenix specifically, with its own separate accreditation.

Good luck to all of you this year!

Can you comment at all on how that might affect the c/o 2017 matriculants (e.g., clinical rotations)? Any brief insights would be much appreciated. :)

Good luck everyone.

This is my top choice school! Here we go application cycle. :thumbup:

would love to go here! I think the opportunities/resources would be unlimited, especially with the BNI being so close (interested in nsurg).

Last edited:
i'm confused about the 2 U of A campuses- are either of them OOS friendly? I want to look them up separately but MSAR lists them together...

i'm confused about the 2 U of A campuses- are either of them OOS friendly? I want to look them up separately but MSAR lists them together...

They are both under joint accreditation so MSAR lists them as one, however PHX campus is getting its own accreditation soon so they'll be 2 separate schools soon.

They are accepting up to 50% OOS now, a great increase from previous years.

They are both under joint accreditation so MSAR lists them as one, however PHX campus is getting its own accreditation soon so they'll be 2 separate schools soon.

They are accepting up to 50% OOS now, a great increase from previous years.

thanks! so both campuses are accepting 50% OOS (and their selection factors are similar)? i guess it would make sense to apply to both rather than one campus?

thanks! so both campuses are accepting 50% OOS (and their selection factors are similar)? i guess it would make sense to apply to both rather than one campus?

They are allowed to accept up to 50% OOS, though they don't have to accept that many.

FYI: I don't know about Phoenix but Tucson's OOS screen is a 27 MCAT and 3.3 GPA.

They are allowed to accept up to 50% OOS, though they don't have to accept that many.

FYI: I don't know about Phoenix but Tucson's OOS screen is a 27 MCAT and 3.3 GPA.

All Phoenix said on their website was a MCAT score greater than 22, someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school take a lot of out of state applicants?

Does this school take a lot of out of state applicants?

Not historically. But recently they're allowing up to 50% OOS. However, it remains to be seen if they'll actually take that many.

All Phoenix said on their website was a MCAT score greater than 22, someone please correct me if I'm wrong

EDIT: 22 is the screen for IS and OOS applicants in Phoenix

Last edited:
22 is the screen for IS applicants in Tucson, and I would assume Phoenix too. Email or call the school if you're curious. The staff is very friendly.

it's IS and OOS. confirmed.

"Thank you for your interest in The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix! The only requirement we have regarding the MCAT score is that you must have an overall score of 22 or above (we do not have a requirement for the individual sections). This score applies to both in-state and out-of-state residents. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Have a great evening!"

very quick and friendly!

Not historically. But recently they're allowing up to 50% OOS. However, it remains to be seen if they'll actually take that many.

I believe the last application cycle (the entering class of 2012) is the first year the two U of A campuses have accepted up to 50% OOS. In previous years it was capped at 25% and, prior to that, I don't believe they accepted OOS applicants.

Did you guys all get the email UA-PHX just sent out?

They switched some of their prerequisites!

Last edited:
Did you guys all get the email UA-PHX just sent out?

They switched some of their prerequisites!
Can you post the e-mail you received on here or tell us what pre-reqs they switched?

Can you post the e-mail you received on here or tell us what pre-reqs they switched?

Greetings from Phoenix!

Thank you for your interest in The University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix (UA Phoenix Med) for the entering class of 2013. Earlier this month, UA Phoenix Med received Preliminary Accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), the accrediting body for programs leading to the MD. This represents a wonderful reflection on all we have accomplished over the years, validation of our present status and vision, and importantly, represents a critical part of the roadmap for what UA Phoenix Med will use to continue as a leader in its tripartite mission of healthcare delivery, education and research for our state and beyond.

UA Phoenix Med is launching a new website within the next week at http://phoenixmed.arizona.edu; the site will provide a comprehensive overview of the academic, personal and professional requirements for admission. Additionally, UA Phoenix Med has upgraded the application experience with an integrated web-based solution to manage your Supplemental Application and Interview Invitation, will provide you the ability to upload file updates and more. We will keep you updated as these two new and enhanced features go live. We will get busy reviewing your AMCAS and plan to begin sending Supplemental Application invitations in mid-July.

Until then, here are a few important highlights we want you to know about our revised academic standards from previous application seasons.

Undergraduate Studies
The bachelor's (baccalaureate) degree is now required for all students matriculating to the UA Phoenix Med. All coursework must be completed in an educational institution located in the U.S. or Canada, and approved by a regional accrediting body. The degree and all required courses must be completed by the end of spring 2013. Therefore, you may move forward in our application process while still completing the degree and/or courses.

Required Courses for Admission
UA Phoenix Med puts emphasis on a broad-based education in humanities, social and behavioral sciences, science and math. Required courses for admissions must be completed with a grade of "C" (2.00) or better. CLEP and AP courses must appear on a college transcript to be considered. Each of the subject areas below will be evaluated based on the courses entered into AMCAS and the data we will collect in the Supplemental Application.

Subject: Chemistry
2 semester/8 credits or equivalent quarter hours, specifically: a) minimum is 1 semester/4 credits of general chemistry; b) 1 semester/4 credits of biochemistry. Labs recommended.

Subject: Biology
3 semester/12 credits or equivalent quarter hours, specifically: a) minimum of 1 semester/4 credits of physiology; b) remaining 2 semesters/8 credits should be taken in any of the following areas: cell biology, genetics, general biology, physiology, anatomy, microbiology, or virology; and c) of these 3 semesters, 1 semester/4 credits must be upper division-level coursework. Labs recommended.

Subject: Behavioral and Social Science
2 semester/6 credits or equivalent quarter hours in any of the following areas: cultural anthropology, general psychology, sociology, or behavioral health.

Subject: College English
2 semester/6 credits or equivalent quarter hours in any of the following areas: English composition, creative writing, or technical writing.

Subject: College Mathematics/Statistics
1 semester/3 credits or equivalent quarter hours in any of the following areas: statistics, probability, or quantitative research methods.

Subject: Humanities
1 semester/3 credits or equivalent quarter hours in any of the following areas: philosophy, ethics, speech and communication, or gender studies.

Here are all the important parts of the e-mail!

Here are all the important parts of the e-mail!

Wow. I have a feeling a lot of students do not have some of those things. Also no Orgo?

Sent from my iPhone.

Wow. I have a feeling a lot of students do not have some of those things. Also no Orgo?

Sent from my iPhone.

Yeah. As a non-science major, I'm pretty unhappy with them suddenly throwing all of these requirements at us. I think it would have made more sense if they had made these requirements for the class of 2014. Nothing to do but to rearrange our schedules, though...

Do you guys think that Histology (4 credits) count as physiology? Or are they specifically looking for anatomy?

To be fair, they couldn't release the revised prereqs until they received the official approval for prelim accreditation. I attended a session in May and they gently talked about changes and hinted, pretty heavily, that course requirements would be different for the 2013 class. From what I read, it seems they will take some things into account for those who do not have the courses or cannot fit them into a fall or spring schedule. It isn't too late to add courses at ASU and I don't imagine any of us will have to seriously revise our schedules.

I appreciated the communication from their office on the first day of the season. I submitted my app to 16 other schools and haven't heard from anyone.

My advisor attended a national meeting just last week and learned about the Phoenix changes, too. So, we are right behind the prehealth advisors on this information. I heard a story last year about a school that didn't receive prelim status until JANUARY and they had to scramble to get applicants onboard with the new prereqs. At least Phoenix was on the ball to get their approval BEFORE the admission season starts! Or, within a week or so.

To be fair, they couldn't release the revised prereqs until they received the official approval for prelim accreditation. I attended a session in May and they gently talked about changes and hinted, pretty heavily, that course requirements would be different for the 2013 class. From what I read, it seems they will take some things into account for those who do not have the courses or cannot fit them into a fall or spring schedule. It isn't too late to add courses at ASU and I don't imagine any of us will have to seriously revise our schedules.

I appreciated the communication from their office on the first day of the season. I submitted my app to 16 other schools and haven't heard from anyone.

My advisor attended a national meeting just last week and learned about the Phoenix changes, too. So, we are right behind the prehealth advisors on this information. I heard a story last year about a school that didn't receive prelim status until JANUARY and they had to scramble to get applicants onboard with the new prereqs. At least Phoenix was on the ball to get their approval BEFORE the admission season starts! Or, within a week or so.

Agreed Swagger.

I think they will make some concessions for this year's entering class. Many applicants have already graduated and it would require them to re-enroll as post-bac students to complete some of these courses. Ideally, most of us applying should have the vast majority of these courses already completed, save maybe Biochemistry or the U.D. Biology credit for Non-science majors.

I'm sure they are going to get a slurry of emails with applicants pleading their case for their specific situation. We'll see what happens as the application season progresses...

Hi SDNers,

My name is Tara and I am the executive director for admissions and recruitment at the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix (UA Phoenix Med). I've been a long-time follower of SDN! It is a wonderful forum for our premed student community and for the most part, the information is helpful and accurate.

UA Phoenix Med and my team work hard to be transparent in our application process, which is why I'm joining SDN to answer your questions. To keep this a free zone for your questions, please do not disclose your identity and feel very welcomed to PM with questions you would rather not put on SDN Forums.

Follow me on Twitter @UACOM_Phoenix for announcements that will not be released elsewhere. We're excited to answer your questions and to make the application to UA Phoenix Med ENJOYABLE!

Note: we are disconnecting this afternoon through Monday, July 9 in order to get moved and settled into our NEW and SHINY (literally, covered in copper) Health Sciences Education Building. We will have limited access to email and phone beginning on Friday, July 6.

Hi Tara,

Could you address the new course requirements and how they relate to those of us applying in this cycle? Will you be able to make concessions and/or exceptions?

Thanks!

Hi Tara,

Could you address the new course requirements and how they relate to those of us applying in this cycle? Will you be able to make concessions and/or exceptions?

Thanks!

You bet! Medical school prereqs have been, for the most, unchanged for 40 years! Imagine how fast and drastic medicine has changed over these 40 years!! So, we set out on a course last year to review our requirements and involved pre-health advisors (Phillip Scarf @ ASU), physicians and basic scientists' - the result is what you've learned. We have closely monitored the recommendations set forth from the AAMC as result of the revised MCAT exam, which was redesigned to test concepts in science and non-science areas that are commonly found in medical education. Long story short, this is occurring nationally, so it's not just Phoenix that thought to review the requirements as they are aligned to medical education scene.

Students applying for the entering class of 2013 should plan to meet the academic requirements for admission prior to the start of medical school. We anticipate that between the fall and spring semesters, our applicants will have the opportunity to meet these requirements with little to no adjustments made to their academic plan. This does not mean, however, we are inflexible during the "transition" to our new curriculum requirements.

The Supplemental Application will give applicants the opportunity to list the courses they believe satisfy our academic requirements, including a request to review a particular course as a "substitution" to a specific course requirement. However, substitutions should be closely aligned to the original course requirement. For example, a substitution to Biochemistry could come from advanced topics in Chemistry like a course in Foundations in Biochem, Metabolic Biochem, Biochem and Molecular Biophysics.

Hope this helps. Please appreciate the course requirements are to ensure academic success in medical school, and not to stress you guys out. Talk with your academic advisors and if you find a course that you believe works but want to make sure, shoot it our way. We're happy to build a list of courses that we believe cover the topics and content that optimizes your transition to medical education.

Last edited:
Hi Tara,

Could you address the credit requirements? At my unviersity a few of the courses listed were only 3 credits. Will they still meet the requirement?

Thank You

Hi Tara,

Could you address the credit requirements? At my unviersity a few of the courses listed were only 3 credits. Will they still meet the requirement?

Thank You

Great question. Yes, the standard is to accept the courses as they are designed at your institution. We recognize the variance among colleges and universities.

Hey Tara,

Do you know if Histology would satsify the physiology requirment?

Thanks

Yes, Histo would satisfy the Physio. Happy and Safe 4th!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is AP credit accepted to fulfill the prerequisites? Specifically the Behavioral/Social Sciences.

Yes, so long as the AP courses appear on a college transcript.

Hi Tara,

I have a quick question about the physiology requirement. I have already graduated this past May and never took physiology. I have also already submitted my primary application without the knowledge of these updated requirements. Can we take physiology through a community college this fall and list it in the supplemental application?

Last edited:
Another great question. Yes, CC course in Physio is acceptable. In general, CC courses will cover the course material. It's good to explain, on the Supp App, why you've chosen to take course at CC - less expensive, evening course, etc.

Another great question. Yes, CC course in Physio is acceptable. In general, CC courses will cover the course material. It's good to explain, on the Supp App, why you've chosen to take course at CC - less expensive, evening course, etc.

Wow this is kind of awesome to get such quick replies! Thanks for joining SDN, Tara! :D

Could exercise physiology satisfy physiology? Sounds similar as they both have physiology in the title!

Yes, EP is legit, too.

Happy to help!

KinesStudent and all - the site is great and will get even better over the summer. Currently, it's a "soft launch", which means we need your feedback. If you see errors of any sort, please PM me.

Happy 4th - be safe and thank you to those who have and continue to serve in the Armed Forces.

Last edited:
Hi Tara,
Would a class called agitational communication count towards humanities? It looked at how agitation is used as a force for change in existing institutions and policies in a democratic society?

Thanks for all your help!

Whoops! I didn't see the speech and Communication. Thank you!

Hi Tara,

Thanks for signing up and answering our questions! I've never seen a school do this before. It's awesome. Anyway, I have two quick questions: (1) Just to be sure, will a course titled Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II from the bio department count for the physiology requirement? (2) How competitive do you think out of state applicants should be to have a good shot at admission (e.g., GPA/MCAT)? I'm out of state, but have been to AZ frequently and would love to attend school and eventually practice within the state

Thanks in advance. I hope you had an awesome 4th.

Thanks for signing up and answering our questions! I've never seen a school do this before. It's awesome.

Happy to help answer questions that you guys may have about our process. I also encourage you to reach out to our current students, too. They are wonderful ambassadors and will answer from the "student perspective". Many watch the boards and respond.

(1) Just to be sure, will a course titled Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II from the bio department count for the physiology requirement?

Yes, an A&P course from Biology will satisfy the Physio requirement.

(2) How competitive do you think out of state applicants should be to have a good shot at admission (e.g., GPA/MCAT)? I'm out of state, but have been to AZ frequently and would love to attend school and eventually practice within the state.

We make our decisions based on a three-pronged assessment of your a) academic readiness (strong evidence of academic success in upper division coursework, upward progression of courses); b) professional readiness (have experience in clinical settings, research experience and/or interest in pursuing research ---- part of our curriculum, give to others, leaders, etc) and c) personal readiness (professional, mature, dedicated).

So, there is so much more than grades to our evaluation. Be sure to provide detailed responses to our Supplemental App essay's, particularly questions about your interest in our program. Be genuine. Be honest. That's the key.

Thanks in advance. I hope you had an awesome 4th.

Same to you. I had an awesome 4th after the rain left the Valley. BBQ and Fireworks - doesn't get better than that for the holiday time with friends and family!

Status
Not open for further replies.