2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the greatest thread for the greatest med school in the universe! I'm here to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge, and if I can't help, I'll at the very least respond with a funny picture of a cat. And always remember, class of 2015 > all.

Good luck everybody, and I hope to see some of you in 2013! :luck:

Here are the prompts from last year (or maybe two years ago) in case they haven't changed, it's never too early to get the ol' gears turning.
I just got the secondary prompts, same as last year 800 characters for each.

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaninful?

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?
About half of all applicants get screened in for the secondary based on the last two years' threads. I'll edit this post again closer to interview time with more tips, including how to find the admissions office inside the medical school building, which is as big as the Pentagon. I'm not kidding.

Last edited:
Welcome to the greatest thread for the greatest med school in the universe! I'm here to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge, and if I can't help, I'll at the very least respond with a funny picture of a cat. And always remember, class of 2015 > all.

Good luck everybody, and I hope to see some of you in 2013! :luck:

when do you think uclabruins2011 will make an appearance?

Members don't see this ad :)
And always remember, class of 2015 > all.

I didn't realize you guys were so large...:D

Incoming 1st year here also happy to answer questions about the application/admissions experience and impressions of UCLA compared to many other schools interview/second look day.

I didn't realize you guys were so large...:D

Incoming 1st year here also happy to answer questions about the application/admissions experience and impressions of UCLA compared to many other schools interview/second look day.

MMI scenarios?

MMI scenarios?

We had to sign an agreement form saying we won't disclose the scenarios (in whole or in part). My advice is to do some googling and research some general practice scenarios.

I look forward to receiving a rejection letter from this school.

Last edited:
Here is a simple video on healthcare reform: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Ilc5xK2_E&feature=related

Also, become used to reading the newspaper. Read online news every few days.

Read some popular medicine books (Atul Gawande is popular).

Debate philosophical issues with your friends. Play devil's advocate with each-other and challenge each-others viewpoints.

Become used to public speaking and problem solving. Play some boardgames.

Watch this documentary, : http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/doctors-diaries.html (it's on netflix streaming). See if it makes you depressed.

The first rule about MMI is that you don't talk about MMI.

Anybody care to guess the second rule?

Seriously though, just be yourself. I know that sounds like terrible advice, but UCLA adopted the MMI to find students who are the best "fit" here, so faking your way through the MMI and trying to say what you think they want to hear will only hurt you. Honesty counts for a lot more than having the prototypical correct answer to each scenario... unless you're a jerk. Then you should pretend to be nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks. also, maybe you could tell everyone how horrible of a place UCLA DGSOM is and how they should not even consider applying there. that's what i hear.

I could, but that would be lying.

Besides, it only benefits you, the applicant, to have the best and brightest applying. Your peers are the ones who'll be helping you out through the school year. Have confidence in yourself. It's a long, long cycle.

I could, but that would be lying.

Besides, it only benefits you, the applicant, to have the best and brightest applying. Your peers are the ones who'll be helping you out through the school year. Have confidence in yourself. It's a long, long cycle.

I'm not feeling good about the idea that I could be sitting here a year from now and not have heard anything back yet.

I'm not feeling good about the idea that I could be sitting here a year from now and not have heard anything back yet.

Have confidence in yourself.

Plan on multiple failures and adjust accordingly. Assume ultimate success. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise or bring you down. Fight for what you want.

Have a back up plan. Keep your self-esteem up. Be competent and friendly in everything you do and you can not fail. Both qualities are necessary.

Read Rudyard Kipling's poem "If" and own it baby!

Wow thank you for all the helpful links! I'm not sure if I can get into this school but I'm definitely applying here since it's in CHicago.

I have a question about the UCLA application. If I were interested in applying to UCLA, should I apply to only Geffen, or both Geffen and Drew? It seems like Geffen is the "normal" med school and Drew involves a lot of work with underprivileged communities (which I am interested in). Should I therefore apply to both? Or do people who apply to one but not the other also get considered at the other one automatically? I'm a bit confused by this!

Ok, I realize this is probably a ******ed question, but does the fact that I utilized my AP credit to skip comp I seriously disqualify me from applying to this school? I ask more out of minor disbelief and hoping I'm wrong than actual curiosity. The fact that I would be an OOS applicant definitely hurts me, but I'd love to attend a California school seeing as how I've lived my life an East coast boy. Variety is always good.

I have comp II at a university, and no literature class at a university. I have a pretty basic variety of gen eds (sociology, history, speech, religion & medicine, world religions, ect.). Are any of those possibly considered English courses?

I have a question about the UCLA application. If I were interested in applying to UCLA, should I apply to only Geffen, or both Geffen and Drew? It seems like Geffen is the "normal" med school and Drew involves a lot of work with underprivileged communities (which I am interested in). Should I therefore apply to both? Or do people who apply to one but not the other also get considered at the other one automatically? I'm a bit confused by this!

The Drew students do the exact same thing as us except their rotations are at different sites, so yes, if you desperately want to go to UCLA, then definitely apply to both (I think you're allowed to?) since it'll up your chances, statistically at least. With that being said, Drew has a really specific type of person they're looking for, so if you don't have pretty extensive community service background, then just go for Geffen.

Ok, I realize this is probably a ******ed question, but does the fact that I utilized my AP credit to skip comp I seriously disqualify me from applying to this school? I ask more out of minor disbelief and hoping I'm wrong than actual curiosity. The fact that I would be an OOS applicant definitely hurts me, but I'd love to attend a California school seeing as how I've lived my life an East coast boy. Variety is always good.

I have comp II at a university, and no literature class at a university. I have a pretty basic variety of gen eds (sociology, history, speech, religion & medicine, world religions, ect.). Are any of those possibly considered English courses?

No idea... call the admissions office to check. If they say you need an extra English class, they might accept an online class which would be cheaper (and probably easier). Keep in mind you can wait to see if you even get an interview and then if you do, enroll for a spring semester English class.

Is anyone applying without having completed a prequisite? like if you're finishing a lab or some humanities course over the summer, can you just say you intend on finishing it before you matriculate at the time you submit?
Does anyone know how competitive it is to get into prime?
Also does anyone know how the Drew college differs in terms of program/curriculum?
Thanks

Is anyone applying without having completed a prequisite? like if you're finishing a lab or some humanities course over the summer, can you just say you intend on finishing it before you matriculate at the time you submit?
Does anyone know how competitive it is to get into prime?
Also does anyone know how the Drew college differs in terms of program/curriculum?
Thanks

I also would like to know the answer to these questions, especially regarding applying without having completed prerequisites...is it possible to get in even if we mark 2 of the prerequisites as current/future coursework?

I also would like to know the answer to these questions, especially regarding applying without having completed prerequisites...is it possible to get in even if we mark 2 of the prerequisites as current/future coursework?

Yes this is fine unless a change has been made in their policies since 2 years ago, but I finished stats about 3 weeks before med school started and there were no issues other than sending an updated transcript after I finished the class.

Yes this is fine unless a change has been made in their policies since 2 years ago, but I finished stats about 3 weeks before med school started and there were no issues other than sending an updated transcript after I finished the class.

Great! Thanks, dbeast!

I have one more question. I haven't been able to find UCLA's policies on letters of recommendations; do they have a certain required number of letters, and any requirements regarding who the letter writers are?

Might as well, since they screen prior to secondaries it's not very expensive to give 'em a try. That's what I'm doing. Good luck!

Great! Thanks, dbeast!

I have one more question. I haven't been able to find UCLA's policies on letters of recommendations; do they have a certain required number of letters, and any requirements regarding who the letter writers are?

At risk of spreading misinformation, I say just check out the website for these requirements. I didn't really pay attention to these rules when I was applying since my letters pretty much covered all the bases (2 science professors, 1 employer, 1 doctor).

I'm really interested in UCLA, but I'm OOS (PA). I'm an IvyLeaguer with a 3.8+ and expecting a 34+ MCAT, is it worth applying?

I could apply to Drew as well since I've done a lot of community service with poorer areas.

Worth a shot, we have plenty of OOS students... just ace that MCAT.

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

Can I use my high school work experience??

What is the difference really in applying for MD programs here vs the Drew campus? Is one more competitive? Thanks!

What is the difference really in applying for MD programs here vs the Drew campus? Is one more competitive? Thanks!

The Drew program has its own very specific mission statement- I suggest you go read more about it on their website and then decide for yourself whether it fits with your goals. I think it's kind of an apples and oranges thing when comparing their competitiveness.

Has anyone applying for 2013 received secondaries from UCLA yet?

this is good news! more time to work on the 21321312 secondaries that i have :D

Woo hoo it's starting! Good luck everyone!

We have been notified by the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) that you have designated the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA as one of your choice schools.

Our Admissions Committee will be conducting the preliminary review of all our applicants through the month of January. Any additional information such as supplemental information, transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc. will be requested after initial review ...

You may check the status of your application via the 2013 Application Status web site. This site is updated weekly. The link for the status web site is located at the following location: http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/prospective. You will need your AMCAS identification number, birth date, and the last four digits of your Social Security number in order to access the status page.

+1, anyone else looking at 2011-2012 thread to see when they started issuing the secondaries? haha

Me too. :) Last year, the earliest the secondaries came out was July 27. So soon! I haven't even finished any of my other secondaries yet. Yikes!

Me too. :) Last year, the earliest the secondaries came out was July 27. So soon! I haven't even finished any of my other secondaries yet. Yikes!

Last year the application process started earlier than this year, so maybe we'll get a few extra days! Although I'm getting pretty antsy waiting, just show me some love! :love:

Hey all,

Pre-writing secondary so I can be done with all these essays! From last year, the question: ".Describe involvement in the ..ONE.. most important ..non-academic activity.. that has been important in your life?"
I wanted to talk about research or my work with a service organization, that I feel that is addressed as part of the other prompts. Is it okay to just talk about a hobby such as a sport?..

I think thats a great idea. I personally wrote about overcoming being overweight/running a half marathon for the first time and how this has helped shaped my lifestyle in recent years

Just got the secondary invite! I got the 'AMCAS received' email 7/23.

Woohoo! All the UC's officially like me enough to at least allow me to send them money. I am so honored :p

Status
Not open for further replies.