2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone that submitted the secondary notice that the fee says $80, but the payment only takes $70?

yeah i totally noticed that..submitted last night..oh well! $10 saved! haha

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
alma - mater, verified 6/29, nothing yet besides receipt email...

alma - mater, verified 6/29, nothing yet besides receipt email...

Same here and I'm a california resident. Maybe I should give them a call?

would any of you start pre-writing the essay questions, if you were almost caught up with other secondaries?

I would do it, especially since you're already caught up with the other secondaries. The worst that could happen is that you don't receive a secondary application. But a lot of the questions that UCLA asks can be used for other secondaries so the writing wouldn't technically go to waste.

Can't seem to find this info - how many letters can be sent with the UCLA application??

Pretty sure its 5 max. One science and one non-science required

Still no secondary, verified 6/9/12 with high stats and IS. Should I give them a call? I received the receipt email.

Still no secondary, verified 6/9/12 with high stats and IS. Should I give them a call? I received the receipt email.

If you got the receipt email then they have your app. Calling may come off as a little pushy and self-entitled.

Were/are you an undergrad at UCLA by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)

No way. That has entitlement written all over it.

packets count as 1 (one) letter. no worries.

+1 I called them about my letters (being non-trad my letters don't exactly fit their requirements) and they seem pretty flexible about them anyway :)

Is there anyone who was verified in early July that still hasn't gotten a secondary yet? I received secondaries from all of the UCs almost immediately except for UCLA...

Same here. Got secondaries from all UCs except LA! :thumbdown:

.What's everyone doing for "What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?"

I'm debating between my teaching experience or a book drive that I ran. The teaching experience isn't really 'unique', but it would involve leadership/entrepreneurial/creative aspects, and I've been doing it for nearly 8 years so its pretty significant. Besides the "where do you see yourself in 10 years" question, I don't mention teaching/tutoring elsewhere in the 2ndary even though its been a big part of my life.

The book drive is more 'unique', but isn't nearly as significant. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
.What's everyone doing for "What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?"

I'm debating between my teaching experience or a book drive that I ran. The teaching experience isn't really 'unique', but it would involve leadership/entrepreneurial/creative aspects, and I've been doing it for nearly 8 years so its pretty significant. Besides the "where do you see yourself in 10 years" question, I don't mention teaching/tutoring elsewhere in the 2ndary even though its been a big part of my life.

The book drive is more 'unique', but isn't nearly as significant. What do you guys think?

Teaching is clearly a bigger part of your life, and something you would be able to talk more in depth about in your secondary and when you potentially interview. Based on that, I would go with teaching!

Teaching is clearly a bigger part of your life, and something you would be able to talk more in depth about in your secondary and when you potentially interview. Based on that, I would go with teaching!

Thanks! Will do :)

I would go with teaching too. Perhaps you had to use a unique method/improvised to get results with a specific student. Or the location or subject matter or how you prepared. Think hard of something you did with it that was out of the ordinary or creative. Could make a great essay.

They just marked that they got my letters of recommendation. Does this mean they plan on sending me a secondary or am I reading too far into this?

Anyone else running into the problem of repeating stuff on their amcas? They ask for a lot of separate experiences and I feel like some of the experiences that best answer their questions are also my "most meaningful" on the amcas. If I talk about the same experiences but with different emphasis than on my amcas, will that get too repetitive?

yo my fellow bear. i basically talked about the same activities but talked about them to show something a little different/added more description than what was on my amcas

Does anyone know if UCLA is still sending out secondaries? I received the "AMCAS received" email a while ago, and have been verified since ~6/10. Stats are high enough to avoid auto screen out, and am a CA resident.

Last secondary left and a top choice, has me worried!

You sure your stats protected you from auto screen? 9 in verbal is quite low for UCLA

Does anyone know if UCLA is still sending out secondaries? I received the "AMCAS received" email a while ago, and have been verified since ~6/10. Stats are high enough to avoid auto screen out, and am a CA resident.

Last secondary left and a top choice, has me worried!

I'm still waiting too. Their "AMCAS received" email says they're doing preliminary reviews through January, and according to the status page (https://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/applications/appstat/appforms/status.htm) I haven't been outright rejected yet, but I'm worried too. I think it's because I'm a re-applicant though. C'mon UCLA, give me a chance!

They just marked that they got my letters of recommendation. Does this mean they plan on sending me a secondary or am I reading too far into this?

They've had my LORs since 8/2 and still haven't heard from them, I think you might be reading a little too much into it.

Does anyone know about the English pre req. I emailed the admissions office over a week ago to ask if a writing intensive class could substitute. No answer.

Anyone else have an answer to this question?

Does anyone know about the English pre req. I emailed the admissions office over a week ago to ask if a writing intensive class could substitute. No answer.

According to their own Pre-Health page, the writing course (W after the course name) will be sufficient

One year of college level literature and composition. Writing I and Writing II courses, select general education literature courses, and any upper division English literature or English Composition courses will satisfy this requirement. Please see the “English requirement for health professions schools” sheet for a complete list of suggested courses. These courses will prepare you for the Verbal Reasoning and Writing Sample sections of the MCAT.

http://career.ucla.edu/Students/GradProfSchCounseling/PreHealthCareerServices/Medicine.aspx

I didn't ask that exact question, because my situation was minorly different. But I think they screen out any pre-req questions, so feel free to call them, they are quite nice.

But you can take a post-bacc English course at a CC to fulfill this requirement prior to matriculation. So if I get interviewed/accepted... I'm going to love taking a freshman English class at a CC.

On the status page there is a blank next to transcript. I thought amcas automatically forwarded our transcripts?

They already have my LOR from amcas and my secondary, so I was curious as to whether my application is complete or not without the transcript?

I didn't ask that exact question, because my situation was minorly different. But I think they screen out any pre-req questions, so feel free to call them, they are quite nice.

But you can take a post-bacc English course at a CC to fulfill this requirement prior to matriculation. So if I get interviewed/accepted... I'm going to love taking a freshman English class at a CC.

I just feel awful saying "no" on the secondary to "have you completed a year of college English".

I just feel awful saying "no" on the secondary to "have you completed a year of college English".

I don't even understand why they care if you've been to college in England.

Anyone still waiting on secondary here? Or is it something like a silent rejection if you still haven't gotten one yet (AMCAS complete 7/17)?

Anyone still waiting on secondary here? Or is it something like a silent rejection if you still haven't gotten one yet (AMCAS complete 7/17)?

Have you received an email with the subject "Medical School Application Receipt" from David Geffen UCLA yet? I believe everyone gets that email first, so if you haven't received that email yet, they probably haven't processed your application yet.

Have you received an email with the subject "Medical School Application Receipt" from David Geffen UCLA yet? I believe everyone gets that email first, so if you haven't received that email yet, they probably haven't processed your application yet.

Yeah, I got that 7/23. I really wish schools would do outright rejections instead of making us wait in limbo =\

Has anyone received the secondary in August? I don't see anyone rejoicing about getting it this month, maybe they send them out in really big batches? *hoping*

Has anyone received the secondary in August? I don't see anyone rejoicing about getting it this month, maybe they send them out in really big batches? *hoping*

Me too. Hate to waste my pre-written essays

In bold below, it states that AP credit will not be accepted for completion of required courses. Does the same apply to IB (International Baccalaureate) credit? Are IB courses (similar to AP courses) counted towards prerequisite requirements?

Completion of Requirements: Students must complete all premedical requirements before beginning the first year of medical study, although these requirements need not be completed at the time application for admission is filed. AP credit will not be accepted for completion of required courses.

http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/offices/admiss/admreq.cfm#prereq

For those that have already filled out the secondary, how did you guys answer the "most important honor" question, generally speaking?

It was under the scholastic area of the secondary so does it have to be academically related? Anyone take a different approach?

The lack of secondary from UCLA is really tanking my spirits. One of my top choices and I might get rejected pre-secondary. :(

I agree. I got a secondary from UCLA Drew yesterday but still waiting on Geffen :(

For those that have already filled out the secondary, how did you guys answer the "most important honor" question, generally speaking?

It was under the scholastic area of the secondary so does it have to be academically related? Anyone take a different approach?
I don't think it has to be academically related, though it can be. I wrote about a position I was elected to and how I was honored my peers were confident in my abilities to fulfill that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.