2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has ucla usually taken this long to send out a secondary? Or should we accept a pre secondary rejection at this point

Members don't see this ad.

Well a big batch of secondaries went out in July and as far as I can tell off this forum, no one has received one in August. I wasn't EDP and got one, so that eliminates that possibility. I think they're just sending them out in enormous batches. It was toward the end of the month that they came out last time. I wouldn't accept the pre-secondary rejection until at least another batch comes out.

Well a big batch of secondaries went out in July and as far as I can tell off this forum, no one has received one in August. I wasn't EDP and got one, so that eliminates that possibility. I think they're just sending them out in enormous batches. It was toward the end of the month that they came out last time. I wouldn't accept the pre-secondary rejection until at least another batch comes out.

I got my secondary in August ( around the 10th if I remember correctly) but I am an MSTP applicant so the timing may be different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has UCLA released their 2011/2012 profile? IS there a facebook page?

Just got the secondary! OOS, and I added this school on 8/15.

A little confused as to how I should handle the FAFSA-esque financial questions about parental assets in the disadvantage section. I have a stepdad that became a part of our family when I was 20 & moved out already, he's never supported me, and he will not tell me his financial information. But he files jointly with my mom (who is ill & on disability), so I guess in theory his assets are parental assets.

IS and Undergrad school.., still no secondary! verified early june, anyone else the same??

Members don't see this ad :)
IS. AMCAS received 8/6. still no secondary. perhaps my #s are keeping me out. was definitely hoping for at least the chance to apply.

IS and Undergrad school.., still no secondary! verified early june, anyone else the same??

Didn't go here for undergrad, but IS and verified mid-June. App received in mid-July... No secondary yet, even though I got one from every other UC! Just gotta be patient and hope for the best, I guess...

I've pretty much given up hope for UCLA at this point. I wish I was wrong, but I was verified back in June, and still no secondary. :( Would have been really nice to stay in the LA area.

Especially sad because I got a secondary last time I applied.

This may be a stupid question, but for the 'unique...creative' activity I want to write about my novel writing but I'm weary that it will be a red flag because admissions people might think i'm trying to be in LA to get into the entertainment industry. I have heard that this is an issue in other UCLA programs (business, law, etc) but I imagine JT wouldn't be much of an issue with med school, since it's so rigorous. Still, don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Any thoughts?

This may be a stupid question, but for the 'unique...creative' activity I want to write about my novel writing but I'm weary that it will be a red flag because admissions people might think i'm trying to be in LA to get into the entertainment industry. I have heard that this is an issue in other UCLA programs (business, law, etc) but I imagine JT wouldn't be much of an issue with med school, since it's so rigorous. Still, don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Any thoughts?

I feel you are overthinking. Unless you rant and rave about how coming to LA would be huuuge for your novelist career, I think it'd come across as a unique, and cool, activity. So, pick your tone wisely, but otherwise go for it!

I feel you are overthinking. Unless you rant and rave about how coming to LA would be huuuge for your novelist career, I think it'd come across as a unique, and cool, activity. So, pick your tone wisely, but otherwise go for it!

I agree! Take this as an opportunity to show your creativity and diversity. It would be silly for an AdCom to think you are only come to LA for a novelist career.

Last edited:
Last year 6,771 applications were received. The Admissions Committee requested supplemental information from approximately 3,000 applicants and interviewed close to 700 students.

I'm in the same boat as you. Do you think it has to do with numbers? Does anyone know how the screening works?

Last year 6,771 applications were received. The Admissions Committee requested supplemental information from approximately 3,000 applicants and interviewed close to 700 students.

Glad I made the cut. :) I was nervous that they were going to pass on me.

I submitted my secondary yesterday. I will meet some people from David Geffen next week, so hopefully I can rub elbows with the right people. Very stoked. Wish me luck.

And GL to those who haven't received anything yet.

SWEET! post 202. That number bears a lot of meaning for me...(hey sierrans)

"Has there been a gap greater than one year between achieving your baccalaureate degree, and/or
consecutive degrees before applying to medical school? (yes or no). If yes, please explain."

If I graduated from college in May of 2011, and am applying this cycle, this question applies to me, right?

This thread is crazy dead... We just started STD week and I'm looking for any excuse not to do work, so please fire away with questions about DGSOM and I'll be much more available than usual to answer them. :luck:

This thread is crazy dead... We just started STD week and I'm looking for any excuse not to do work, so please fire away with questions about DGSOM and I'll be much more available than usual to answer them. :luck:

What is your favorite part of DGSOM?

This school looks amazing and it is a reach but it doesn't hurt to apply I guess.

I have some questions about DGSOM - can I PM them to you?

Thanks

Hey DBeast, thanks for takin' the time :), I have a question.

Have you or anyone you know participated in UCLA's global health program either for research or clinical rotation? I'd like to get involved internationally and was wondering about international experiences at UCLA.

Thanks.

What is your favorite part of DGSOM?

This school looks amazing and it is a reach but it doesn't hurt to apply I guess.

Man, where to start... You might have to be more specific because they really have it all here. Do you have any concerns maybe?

I have some questions about DGSOM - can I PM them to you?

Thanks

Yeah do it! Or feel free to ask them here if it'll be helpful to the group.

Hey DBeast, thanks for takin' the time :), I have a question.

Have you or anyone you know participated in UCLA's global health program either for research or clinical rotation? I'd like to get involved internationally and was wondering about international experiences at UCLA.

Thanks.

Yes, the global health program here is getting out of control (in a good way). Since Chancellor Washington took over, he made a big push in favor of global health, and since he's, well, in charge of the whole school, he gets what he wants. It's incredibly easy to get involved in global health and we have 4 or 5 different permanent research sites in Africa and one in South America, and they're always talking about expanding.

Just got the secondary! OOS, and I added this school on 8/15.

A little confused as to how I should handle the FAFSA-esque financial questions about parental assets in the disadvantage section. I have a stepdad that became a part of our family when I was 20 & moved out already, he's never supported me, and he will not tell me his financial information. But he files jointly with my mom (who is ill & on disability), so I guess in theory his assets are parental assets.
I am in the same situation. Have you found out what to do about this?

Hmm would it be bad to have the non-academic activity and leadership activity to be the same thing?

Well, I've been verified since early July and I haven't gotten a secondary from UCLA yet. Drats... I'm going to assume a rejection =(

Well, I've been verified since early July and I haven't gotten a secondary from UCLA yet. Drats... I'm going to assume a rejection =(

I am in the same boat. It's not over till its over? Trying to be cautiously optimistic...

I'm not sure how UCLA screens but I go to a UC with a 4.0 / 35 MCAT and haven't received a secondary yet, so I'm telling myself that UCLA is not finished with dispersing their secondaries yet. I submitted about 20 secondaries so far a month ago and haven't had any interview invites at all either. I'm really nervous that one of my professors maybe wrote a short paragraph for one of my LOR? Or that I somehow messed up on my primary application and I'm red-flagged for AMCAS or something. Maybe that's why I haven't gotten a secondary from UCLA. I'm very worried, but if UCLA only screens based on GPA/MCAT, then I'm pretty sure that we're all still in the running.

Let's just pray for our success!

Thanks for posting Phaminem... so they definitely aren't screening based on numbers.. maybe they are just taking extra long....

no secondary yet, in state... this school is a long shot for me though so i won't hold my breath

Everyone chill. My buddy just got the secondary recently with relatively low stats compared to average at UCLA so they are just taking the time to consider everything... or at least I am pretty sure that is what is going on

How limited do you think the range of the "hardship" question is? Should we limit ourselves to "geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors," or would a death in the family/something similar count? Would love any thoughts!

Has anyone received a secondary recently?

I know a lot of IS people that have decent stats and still haven't gotten theirs. I am thinking/hoping that UCLA is sending them out in batches...

Has anyone received a secondary recently?

I know a lot of IS people that have decent stats and still haven't gotten theirs. I am thinking/hoping that UCLA is sending them out in batches...

Looks like they're sending them out in batches, yeah. First was late July, second was late August. Maybe similar this month.

Does anyone know approximately when LA starts giving out interviews (based on previous years)?

Just got the secondary around a few days ago, the day right after I was verified. I'm OOS :luck:

I still don't know what I'm writing for half these essays...

verified tuesday got secondaries today! nervous but happy -___- =D

gives me hope cause my gpa isn't that high

I'm in shock. I have a voicemail from about 1:15 PM PST informing me that they'd like me to invite me for an interview...but no one else has posted anything like this here... o_o Did anyone else get this?

I'm in shock. I have a voicemail from about 1:15 PM PST informing me that they'd like me to invite me for an interview...but no one else has posted anything like this here... o_o Did anyone else get this?

Either you deserve a huge congratulations, or you have really mean friends.

Yeah i got a call from them today, at around 1:30 asking me for an interview the weird thing was they said it would be this coming tuesday, I was so in shock I started to freak out if it was a real interview, and no one else posted about it so I was double shocked, but if other people are getting interviews i'm feeling better about it since they didn't send me an email confirmation with details or update my status yet....

Yeah i got a call from them today, at around 1:30 asking me for an interview the weird thing was they said it would be this coming tuesday, I was so in shock I started to freak out if it was a real interview, and no one else posted about it so I was double shocked, but if other people are getting interviews i'm feeling better about it since they didn't send me an email confirmation with details or update my status yet....

Okay, I'm glad this wasn't a prank call, lol. That would have been cruel.

Next week's days don't work for me at all, unfortunately. :( So I have to wait for them to send me the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.