2012-2013 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for those of you who submitted... how long did it take to process the payment through e-pay?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone think there's a disadvantage in checking that I am interested in all three dual degree programs: Independent Advanced Degree (I am interested in MAS/Clinical Research Program), Masters in Public Health (MD/MPH), and Masters of Leadership in Health Care Organization (MD/MBA) ?

I mean, after all, it's just an interest I have right now that I am open to explore in the future. Any thoughts? Or is checking all three too many?

I think it's fine but you better be able to back it up with reasons for interest in all three. If you don't it will come across like you are just confused about what you want in life. You need to write essays for each program as I'm sure you know. If the essays flow onto paper pretty effortlessly then I would say go for it. If they are forced then you probably aren't that interested in that path. Just my opinion, do what you do.

I think it's fine but you better be able to back it up with reasons for interest in all three. If you don't it will come across like you are just confused about what you want in life. You need to write essays for each program as I'm sure you know. If the essays flow onto paper pretty effortlessly then I would say go for it. If they are forced then you probably aren't that interested in that path. Just my opinion, do what you do.

Thanks. I remember you said you are interested in the MAS/Clinical Research Program. Did you check that first Independent Advanced Studies? I already finished writing my interest for that MAS program.

But I don't think there are any essays required for checking other boxes thou. It seems like it's only asking if you are interested and potentially seeking for other dual degrees if accepted to MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I remember you said you are interested in the MAS/Clinical Research Program. Did you check that first Independent Advanced Studies? I already finished writing my interest for that MAS program.

But I don't think there are any essays required for checking other boxes thou. It seems like it's only asking if you are interested and potentially seeking for other dual degrees if accepted to MD.

OK, maybe I'm thinking of the prime heq program having an essay. Unfortunately, I can't access anything about the app because I submitted. If it didn't give you an essay prompt for the other ones then I guess you don't have to write one:thumbup: If you can back up your interest with an intelligent answer then go for it! I don't think it can hurt to be interested in a few things. We are all new to this game and I'm sure curiosity is generally looked upon favorably.

OK, maybe I'm thinking of the prime heq program having an essay. Unfortunately, I can't access anything about the app because I submitted. If it didn't give you an essay prompt for the other ones then I guess you don't have to write one:thumbup: If you can back up your interest with an intelligent answer then go for it! I don't think it can hurt to be interested in a few things. We are all new to this game and I'm sure curiosity is generally looked upon favorably.

True. haha. Anyways,

Secondary Invite: 7/25/12
Secondary Submitted: 7/31/12

When's the earliest anyone here got an interview after they submit their secondary?

True. haha. Anyways,

Secondary Invite: 7/25/12
Secondary Submitted: 7/31/12

When's the earliest anyone here got an interview after they submit their secondary?

Mine was 11 days post secondary. They are speedy!

So MD/PhD apps... No word yet in interviews? Do you know when their office maybe will do something?

Come on UCSD I love you!

How long did it take for you guys to receive your receipt email? I have all of the other uc'sexcept sd :(

Is there a maximum number of letters for this school?

Is there a maximum number of letters for this school?

MSAR says 5 I believe, but I don't recall there being a limit when you actually fill out the secondary. I sent 6.

Did anyone else get a UCSD monthly billing statement today? Pretty sure I shouldn't have a bill from UCSD, unless it's for the application fee.

I'll just take it to mean automatic acceptance...

Did anyone else get a UCSD monthly billing statement today? Pretty sure I shouldn't have a bill from UCSD, unless it's for the application fee.

I'll just take it to mean automatic acceptance...

hahaha I totally got that popping up in my email on my way from the gym this morning.

I'll pay anything they want for an auto-accept :D

Got that email today as well. Got excited until I saw it was basically a bill for something I've already paid for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every email is like that for me. This is my life:

Me: Oh my god it's from UCSD. This is my moment!!! :eek: :love:
Email: UCSD Electronic Billing Statement...Your monthly account statement is ready...:lame:

+pissed+

I totally understand your situation. I've had to limit the # of times I check my email per day, otherwise I would get absolutely no work done. Before the limit, it was into the 100s...

Every email is like that for me. This is my life:

Me: Oh my god it's from UCSD. This is my moment!!! :eek: :love:
Email: UCSD Electronic Billing Statement...Your monthly account statement is ready...:lame:

+pissed+

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

at least it wasn't livingsocial ;)

I totally understand your situation. I've had to limit the # of times I check my email per day, otherwise I would get absolutely no work done. Before the limit, it was into the 100s...

That's what I should do, but unfortunately I'm on the computer all day at work, and I just don't have the willpower to log out of my email. So I refresh every 3 minutes, just to make sure I haven't missed anything in the last 30 seconds...

Just wanted to see if ANYONE got any interview invites this week? I'm assuming they are sending them are like once every week or 2 weeks?

That's what I should do, but unfortunately I'm on the computer all day at work, and I just don't have the willpower to log out of my email. So I refresh every 3 minutes, just to make sure I haven't missed anything in the last 30 seconds...

My phone goes off the instant I get a new email, but I still find myself refreshing on the computer because I suddenly think my phone failed me :rolleyes:

Since UCSD does an automatic screening for secondaries. Has anyone who has applied early in the cycle received a secondary lately. I'm wondering if they have started hand-checking applications that didn't pass the initial computer screen for a secondary.

Since UCSD does an automatic screening for secondaries. Has anyone who has applied early in the cycle received a secondary lately. I'm wondering if they have started hand-checking applications that didn't pass the initial computer screen for a secondary.

+1

I barely missed the cut-off so I'm really hoping they get around to hand screening soon.

What are these cut-offs you speak of?

Not a cutoff exactly. People have said that applicants with a certain GPA and MCAT of 31 or 32 were automatically sent secondaries. Doesn't mean you won't get one if you are below that. It just means they will actually review your app and determine if you have other factors that make you qualified. The "exact" numbers were stated some time in this thread if you want to comb through it.

So MD/PhD apps... No word yet in interviews? Do you know when their office maybe will do something?

Come on UCSD I love you!

Omg same. No word. I'm dying watching everyone else getting their interviews and sitting here waiting.

I haven't gotten mstp interviews from anywhere yet except for Davis, and they interview you for md before calling you back for another mstp interview if they like you.

Is that really how Davis works? Rawr! I want David interview. I didn't hear anything yet!

I added UCSD to my apps on 7/26 but still haven't gotten a secondary. I thought they were pretty fast handing those out (aren't they automated since it's numbers based?). As an OOS applicant, hopefully I didn't get screened out with my 3.91/3.90/34S.

I added UCSD to my apps on 7/26 but still haven't gotten a secondary. I thought they were pretty fast handing those out (aren't they automated since it's numbers based?). As an OOS applicant, hopefully I didn't get screened out with my 3.91/3.90/34S.

You didn't, don't worry. I have lower stats than you and got an auto sec. and an interview.

Primary submitted: 7/25
Notification of "Application Received": 8/6

How soon after did you guys receive a secondary, if any?

next day lol

Wait, why the lol? :laugh:

Did you receive the secondary the day after your submission or the day after they notified you of a received app?

Wait, why the lol? :laugh:

Did you receive the secondary the day after your submission or the day after they notified you of a received app?

Yeah I added it to my verified AMCAS on a Sunday. Monday was notification of the primary app, Tuesday was the secondary invite.

The "lol" is because for some reason you're waiting for weeks and I received it the next day. Who knows how the process works?

Yeah I added it to my verified AMCAS on a Sunday. Monday was notification of the primary app, Tuesday was the secondary invite.

The "lol" is because for some reason you're waiting for weeks and I received it the next day. Who knows how the process works?

Haha true that. I did the same on the ucsf thread. Everyone was asking when they'd get a secondary and I was like "I got my secondary 10 minutes before i even got a notification that they received my app". And now here I am on the opposite side of things. :laugh:

Haha true that. I did the same on the ucsf thread. Everyone was asking when they'd get a secondary and I was like "I got my secondary 10 minutes before i even got a notification that they received my app". And now here I am on the opposite side of things. :laugh:

And naturally I am still waiting for a UCSF secondary

scaled.php

lol really?

I received the secondary July 3rd, submitted my secondary July 14th and then received the interview invite July 26th. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Yes! I'll be there the 27th as well. Though - I have a quick question. I replied back last Thursday night with my confirmation card in the email. I got an "out of office" email and I haven't received any other emails. My status still does not have the "interview date scheduled" filled out. Is your status updated?
I got a confirmation email from Yvonne and my interview date is posted on my status update. So I would email whoever contacted you just in case something happened.

I got a confirmation email from Yvonne and my interview date is posted on my status update. So I would email whoever contacted you just in case something happened.

I was emailed by Yvonne as well but my status just recently changed. Today was the first day I noticed it was updated.

I tried logging into the status check page and saw a ton of red writing only to find out that I had entered the wrong birthday!! The Madness!!

Does anyone know how strict UCSD is with their secondary deadline? It seems pretty strict and I didn't realize I had missed mine.

Does anyone know how strict UCSD is with their secondary deadline? It seems pretty strict and I didn't realize I had missed mine.

They seem to be fairly lenient. I emailed them before my deadline saying that one of my letter writers may be late and they said that they would wait. So this makes me think that they aren't strict about getting in all the materials by the deadline. I'm not sure if the same holds for submitting though.

They seem to be fairly lenient. I emailed them before my deadline saying that one of my letter writers may be late and they said that they would wait. So this makes me think that they aren't strict about getting in all the materials by the deadline. I'm not sure if the same holds for submitting though.

The deadlines pertain strictly to the secondary. They specifically say that LORs are not a part of the deadline as you have no control over them. However, you do have control over when you submit your own secondary.

Finally got the secondary

App submitted: 7/25/12
App Verified: 8/6/12
Secondary Received: 8/8/12

I wonder what took so long between submission and verification?

Finally got the secondary

App submitted: 7/25/12
App Verified: 8/6/12
Secondary Received: 8/8/12

I wonder what took so long between submission and verification?

12 days isn't even that long considering how late you submitted.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they are responsive to in the area emails? Thanks

rejected from the MSTP :( But not interested in MD-only so I'm withdrawing.

Last edited:
Already?? :(:(:( Sorry to hear that! Good luck with your other schools :luck:

i'm pretty sure it's my MCAT that sank me. I've heard they have a certain MCAT score they screen for and I was JUST below it, so I expected it. oh well! I'm sure it won't be the last rejection I get haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.