2012-2013 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted yesterday, Upper 1/2 of the Bottom 1/3, In-state. Trying to decide between here and USF. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Nemours and the VA hospital, and burnett right next door? Ucf!

As of this afternoon they need to hire a new med school dean. That usually means limbo leadership, then a new leader and a administrative changes that can rework the program in their image. You will still become a solid clinician from that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted yesterday, Upper 1/2 of the Bottom 1/3, In-state. Trying to decide between here and USF. Any advice is appreciated.

Consider making a pro's and con's list and ask yourself some questions. Which one can you call home? Where will you be more comfortable? Which program will allow you to leave your education with less debt? Where will you have the best opportunities?

Personally, I'm in a similar scenario. Although I am a ninja, I'm still on this wait list and I have been given an offer at USF. I would choose UCF over USF, and hopefully I will have that luxury. I will share with you some of my reasons, but take one ninja's biased opinion with a grain of salt, okay?

1) UCF felt right. My interviewer was incredible, the staff blew me away, and I have had nothing but extremely positive experiences with this school. Overall my GUT tells me this is the right fit.

2) Orlando is home to me, and that's one less thing to worry about when I'm cortex-deep into coursework. Plus, home-cooked meals >>> top-ramen packets

3) If I'm offered a spot then I will receive an OOS scholarship. That's something that my BRAIN tells me is right :thumbup:

4) The USF class is pretty large, and the school has been around since the 70's. This is a great thing for most, but for me I want to go somewhere that is new and bold. I could remain a cog in a very well greased wheel at USF, but at UCF I would be a squeaking cog that can make a lot of noise ;)

Some food for thought: I think curriculum-wise, both schools are pretty close. You're not going to get some crazy upper hand at one over the other based on name; only Harvard will give you that.

Send me a PM if you've got any questions you want to ask me personally. It's a tough decision to make, but that's awesome that you get to make it my friend :) May the ninja be with you.

Last edited:

I think you should go to USF because I am also waitlisted at UCF within your same range and am not waitlisted at USF... just kidding, I'm not really that selfish but I couldn't resist.

After having seen UCF it would be extremely difficult to turn down. Have you considered research? If that's something you want to do, and important factor in the pro/con list is potential mentorship. Do the professors at each of those schools do the kind of research you want to do? That's one thing that's important to me that many people do not consider. You'd have to look at individual faculty profiles.

I think you should go to USF because I am also waitlisted at UCF within your same range and am not waitlisted at USF... just kidding, I'm not really that selfish but I couldn't resist.

After having seen UCF it would be extremely difficult to turn down. Have you considered research? If that's something you want to do, and important factor in the pro/con list is potential mentorship. Do the professors at each of those schools do the kind of research you want to do? That's one thing that's important to me that many people do not consider. You'd have to look at individual faculty profiles.

I think we interviewed on the same day actually. I ended up withdrawing my acceptance, thank you to everyone for all your advice, it was a tough decision.

Has there been a lot of movement for UCF lately? Hoping someone on wait list here may be accepted to open other spots up at another state school.

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...30719873?tc=ar

Hi REL, I was wondering if you could comment on the article in the link above. I am planning on applying to all of the FL schools this year and USF and UCF are high on my list. I was wondering what impact this new move by USF can make on the school. Do think it is a negative that USF is moving away from a deal with Tampa General and just trying to spin it in a positive light?

Has there been a lot of movement for UCF lately? Hoping someone on wait list here may be accepted to open other spots up at another state school.

I'm in the 2013-2014 application cycle, but a friend of mine in the 2012-2013 was accepted on July 5th. Not exactly recent, but more recent that the last acceptance in this thread.

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...30719873?tc=ar

Hi REL, I was wondering if you could comment on the article in the link above. I am planning on applying to all of the FL schools this year and USF and UCF are high on my list. I was wondering what impact this new move by USF can make on the school. Do think it is a negative that USF is moving away from a deal with Tampa General and just trying to spin it in a positive light?

Thank you, I will address this article in the 2013-14 thread since you asked there too.

This class begins on August 5 and at this time it is full, and it does not appear like there will be movement in the next week. I think what we are finished here.

Thank you, I will address this article in the 2013-14 thread since you asked there too.

This class begins on August 5 and at this time it is full, and it does not appear like there will be movement in the next week. I think what we are finished here.

Thank you, I appreciate it. However, that link no longer works. This article is the same though.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20130711/news/130719873

Last edited:
In b4 lock :D

Edit: Well, as of Monday we've finished the white coat ceremony and matriculated, and now are nearly done with orientation week. Looks like this season is just about closed! You can close this thread now, gettheleadout.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.