2012-2013 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where the hell is the payment page?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to all the new applicants! This is an EXTREMELY long process so try to be patient.

I start orientation on Monday and am beyond excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! You encourage the rest of us that are applying a second time. Good luck to you.

Good essay question, but unfortunately I discussed the hardships/challenges I have overcome in my AMCAS essay because they are main motivators for my decision to pursue medicine. Anyone else in the same boat?

I could expand on my AMCAS essay, but I don't want to repeat myself, so I'm considering choosing option (b) "please describe experiences you have had which help you appreciate the challenges faced by individuals in these situations."

My main question is about the phrase "in these situations," which seems a little ambiguous. Does it mean people facing hardships in general or people facing hardships while trying to become a doctor? I'm sure I could go with either, just wondering what others think.

Thanks!

Can anyone who has submitted confirm that if you return to the application website, there's still a blank version of the secondary form accessible? Just want to make sure I didn't get caught up in a glitch or something.

Good luck everyone!

Good essay question, but unfortunately I discussed the hardships/challenges I have overcome in my AMCAS essay because they are main motivators for my decision to pursue medicine. Anyone else in the same boat?

I could expand on my AMCAS essay, but I don't want to repeat myself, so I'm considering choosing option (b) "please describe experiences you have had which help you appreciate the challenges faced by individuals in these situations."

My main question is about the phrase "in these situations," which seems a little ambiguous. Does it mean people facing hardships in general or people facing hardships while trying to become a doctor? I'm sure I could go with either, just wondering what others think.

Thanks!
I'm in the exact same boat. Annoying. As far as your second question, I'm not totally sure but my guess is hardships in general, because it is seems rather unlikely that a lot of people would have been witnesses to hardships faced by people becoming doctors (seems a little too narrow)

Giggling at the CU-UNITE essay:

"You are a student spending your first summer working in an urban-underserved, uninsured community in Denver. You are on a field visit and notice a car that appears to be abandoned, but then on closer observation you notice that there are small children asleep in the back seat wearing dirty clothes with left over fast food on the floor boards. You notice a strong odor of urine and feces coming from the car. A woman is sitting under a tree nearby and is also poorly dressed and unkempt and appears to be in her last trimester of pregnancy. She has visible lesions on her legs and arms. Identify the needs that you see in this family from the perspective of a student working with urban underserved uninsured populations. Please describe how you would attempt to address the needs of this family both in context of their potential health issues and social situation."

I'm surprised they didn't give them all tuberculosis, HIV, and a flea-ridden, underfed dog!

What makes you think that these hypothetical people don't have HIV and TB? I'm not sure what your background is, but in urban medicine you'll encounter situations much tougher than this much more frequently than you're comfortable with. I know I sound condescending and self-righteous here, but I think that essay is good for beginning a discussion with someone about expectations and perspectives.

Last edited:
Giggling at the CU-UNITE essay:

"You are a student spending your first summer working in an urban-underserved, uninsured community in Denver. You are on a field visit and notice a car that appears to be abandoned, but then on closer observation you notice that there are small children asleep in the back seat wearing dirty clothes with left over fast food on the floor boards. You notice a strong odor of urine and feces coming from the car. A woman is sitting under a tree nearby and is also poorly dressed and unkempt and appears to be in her last trimester of pregnancy. She has visible lesions on her legs and arms. Identify the needs that you see in this family from the perspective of a student working with urban underserved uninsured populations. Please describe how you would attempt to address the needs of this family both in context of their potential health issues and social situation."

I'm surprised they didn't give them all tuberculosis, HIV, and a flea-ridden, underfed dog!

Legitimate question and very relevant. You would be amazed how common these scenarios are, and much worse...

Legitimate question and very relevant. You would be amazed how common these scenarios are, and much worse...

Agreed. If that kind of thing floats your boat, check out Memphis. Moved here to Memphis for my dietetic internship/master's degree, and I've never experienced anything like it here in Memphis (originally from Michigan - not Detroit).

What makes you think that these hypothetical people don't have HIV and TB? I'm not sure what your background is, but in urban medicine you'll encounter situations much tougher than this much more frequently than you're comfortable with. I know I sound condescending and self-righteous here, but I think that essay is good for beginning a discussion with someone about expectations and perspectives.

I am a STI educator and counselor in New Orleans, so I am very familiar with these situations. I was just laughing at the thoroughness of this description.... "left over fast food" "strong odor of urine and feces" .. Didn't leave much to interpretation, did they? I was just trying to say that the ADCOM basically put the words in our mouths :)

Agreed. If that kind of thing floats your boat, check out Memphis. Moved here to Memphis for my dietetic internship/master's degree, and I've never experienced anything like it here in Memphis (originally from Michigan - not Detroit).

NOLA too... sometimes I can't believe I'm in the first world.

Members don't see this ad :)
my payment hasn't been updated...i emailed and they said they received it but it will take a few weeks to update...i've only heard that with letters, documents, etc...not with the payment

my payment hasn't been updated...i emailed and they said they received it but it will take a few weeks to update...i've only heard that with letters, documents, etc...not with the payment

Check again. I submitted 8/7 and paid on the same day. Just this morning I saw the status change to say payment was received on 8/9. :p

Greetings and salutations, all.

I dithered around and submitted the primary last week. There should be ~4-6 weeks before CU sends me their secondary, yes? I saw one essay prompt earlier in the thread, but might there be any others? I'm going for the straight-up MD: none of this MD/PhD/POTUS nonsense.

Glad to hear they're more and more open to OOS non-trad blokes. I graduated from CU but am currently slinging down in TX (for a jerb)--would love to make my inevitable migration back to the Rockies in the near future, but, ouch, that $90k/year for tuition & board is formidable. I have a very remote chance of admission, so you fellow longshots out there feel free to give a bro some love and I'll be sure to give it back.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Last edited:
CU accepts 42% OOS?!

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...atriculation2012/Pages/matriculation2012.aspx

Any thoughts on this? Seems VERY high. Especially when you go to: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/education/Admissions/apply/Pages/FAQ.aspx and see: "The class normally has 75 percent or more students from the state."

That would be "CU matriculates 42% OOS!

From US News (which would be two years ago):
IS Accepted: 196 | Matriculated: 112
OOS Accepted: 108 | Matriculated: 48

So 70% IS matriculated two years ago. Maybe the just had an off year last year.

That would be "CU matriculates 42% OOS!

From US News (which would be two years ago):
IS Accepted: 196 | Matriculated: 112
OOS Accepted: 108 | Matriculated: 48

So 70% IS matriculated two years ago. Maybe the just had an off year last year.

This year's class is around 58%IS and if you look at years past, this year isn't an off year, it is part of the general trend. The trend has been a higher and higher OOS percentage. I think that most of this stems from the state's lack of funding towards higher education (I think Colorado is last, or at least close to last, in funding public colleges). Less funding means CUSOM can do whatever they want with the IS/OOS numbers, and will tend to accept more OOS applicants. They generally get significantly more OOS applicants, so the top OOS applicants tend to have better applications than some of the IS applicants, and any OOS applicant that matriculates is on the hook for $50k per year. I was an IS applicant who got rejected, and it sucks, but it is just the way it is going for CU. Maybe soon they will open another school in Colorado.

if you apply to the urban track are you considered for the regular track too?

They say that the track applications don't affect your chances of acceptance one way or another. So yeah, if you don't get put in the urban track, you'll be considered equally as strongly for acceptance as if you hadn't applied for a track.

They say that the track applications don't affect your chances of acceptance one way or another. So yeah, if you don't get put in the urban track, you'll be considered equally as strongly for acceptance as if you hadn't applied for a track.
thanks!

Congrats! I wish I had one right now...tickets from here to Denver are on sale for $79 each way. ;) Of course, I'm dreaming a little - hoping to get one at all!

Thanks! It was an incredible surprise for me, esp. this early. That's crazy airfare! Hope you get to take advantage of it soon.

Same! I'm not sure it really works for my schedule, though, so I may have to change it out for a later date.:thumbdown:

Thanks! It was an incredible surprise for me, esp. this early. That's crazy airfare! Hope you get to take advantage of it soon.

Same! I'm not sure it really works for my schedule, though, so I may have to change it out for a later date.:thumbdown:

Know that the later date could be WAY later. I thought about rescheduling an early November interview last year and they said that the next available date would be mid to late January. It could be different this early in the cycle, but is something to keep in mind. If you call the admissions office, they may tell you when your rescheduled interview would be.

Can both of you guys give stats and when you were complete OOS/IS??? I was complete 8/14 and all quiet over here

3.99 cGPA, 4.00 sGPA, 35Q, OOS, non-trad, complete 8/10.

Know that the later date could be WAY later. I thought about rescheduling an early November interview last year and they said that the next available date would be mid to late January. It could be different this early in the cycle, but is something to keep in mind. If you call the admissions office, they may tell you when your rescheduled interview would be.

Whoa. I definitely appreciate the heads-up. I have another interview two days before in a different city, also away from home. Think I'll just make it work! :thumbup:

Oh well...3.99/4.00 and 35...I'm 3.64/3.65 33O OOS, Non-trad, complete 8/14...you definitely beat me by a mile haha

I'd hardly call 4 days a mile. :p :thumbup:

Still early dude--you got it.

3.99 cGPA, 4.00 sGPA, 35Q, OOS, non-trad, complete 8/10.

Whoa. I definitely appreciate the heads-up. I have another interview two days before in a different city, also away from home. Think I'll just make it work! :thumbup:
Congrats on the interview! I also got an II for 9/24, and requested to change, and now my date is 10/5. I bet you can get that date too since it's still early?

complete 8/14, II arrived 8/24

Another non-trad here - IS, 3.4 GPA, 37S, complete 8/15. I'm hoping to hear something soon. :luck:

Congrats on the interview! I also got an II for 9/24, and requested to change, and now my date is 10/5. I bet you can get that date too since it's still early?

complete 8/14, II arrived 8/24

Thanks! I ended up contacting them directly and got 10/19, which works great for my schedule. Best of luck on the 5th!

Can both of you guys give stats and when you were complete OOS/IS??? I was complete 8/14 and all quiet over here

Complete 8/2, MCAT >32 and >3.7 IS. Somewhat lacking in clinical exp which I think will really hurt me but I'm excited to interview at my home school! Flying in from my undergrad in TX the weekend before

Bummed the IS numbers keep declining but hopefully that helps a lot of yall out this year!

Last edited:
anyone else had trouble trying to pay the fee? I filled in the fields and tried to submit but there's another window that says there's a navigation error.

Come on CU, I'm trying to give you money but apparently you don't want it...

nothing? really? Come on CU I'm impatient...

Well, at least I'm not the only one wondering if I'm looking at a stale webpage versus one with zero activity in two weeks...

I take solace in seeing that no one else is trumpeting their CU II while I look at an empty inbox.:yawn:

Well, at least I'm not the only one wondering if I'm looking at a stale webpage versus one with zero activity in two weeks...

I take solace in seeing that no one else is trumpeting their CU II while I look at an empty inbox.:yawn:

Agreed, I was hoping those early iis would mean more regular activity from CU...

I received an II today! Submitted 8/2, OOS.

II today too! Complete 8/9, OOS

Can someone shed light on OOS cost of attendance? Sounds scary =x And this page is confusing

http://www.ucdenver.edu/student-ser...ees/Pages/SchoolofMedicineTuitionandFees.aspx

I must have been my post that got IIs rolling, thats what I would like to think anyways...

You only pay that if you drop out. I think OOS rates are between 40-50/yr, not to sure. But if you don't finish the program your tuition is retroactively bumped to that ridiculous number and you owe CU a ton of cash...

I must have been my post that got IIs rolling, thats what I would like to think anyways...

You only pay that if you drop out. I think OOS rates are between 40-50/yr, not to sure. But if you don't finish the program your tuition is retroactively bumped to that ridiculous number and you owe CU a ton of cash...

Oh ok thanks! Weird that the page doesn't show the normal rate - US News says it's $55,939 so I presume it's somewhere around there ...

Can you obtain residency after the 1st year? I've heard conflicting report from people who have interviewed here.

Can you obtain residency after the 1st year? I've heard conflicting report from people who have interviewed here.

IS so I haven't checked, but I don't think so.

55k is still a ton of cash for just tuition+fees

I very highly doubt it. I believe the standard for most public institutions is that whatever you start as (IS or OOS), that is the tuition you are paying for the whole time you are there. I'm OOS but go to school in CO and had that same problem in undergrad.

Also got an II yesterday, woo!

Status
Not open for further replies.