2012-2013 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. So, like I've said before, I submitted my app in late July and my status has not changed from "Application is in Process." I'm IS, 32Q, 3.62 gpa. I'm going to call tomorrow to inquire about my status. Is there anything I should say besides just asking about my status - anyone have any advice? I just want them to review it :S

Members don't see this ad.

Okay. So, like I've said before, I submitted my app in late July and my status has not changed from "Application is in Process." I'm IS, 32Q, 3.62 gpa. I'm going to call tomorrow to inquire about my status. Is there anything I should say besides just asking about my status - anyone have any advice? I just want them to review it :S

I would just call and ask really nicely if there is anything else needed or any questions you can answer for them since your application status has not changed for 2 months as "application in process"

They may just tell you this is normal or they may pull it up and review sooner. I think it will not hurt to call. I used to be paranoid about calling schools but so far everyone has been extremely helpful with answers to pressing questions :D

I would just call and ask really nicely if there is anything else needed or any questions you can answer for them since your application status has not changed for 2 months as "application in process"

They may just tell you this is normal or they may pull it up and review sooner. I think it will not hurt to call. I used to be paranoid about calling schools but so far everyone has been extremely helpful with answers to pressing questions :D

just be nice. Some students I talked to during my interview told me that the admissions office is notorious for moving slowly/losing track of applications. One student told me about how he had to call, and then a few days later received an II. As long as you're courteous when you call I'm sure it's no problem

Members don't see this ad :)
II earlier today. 3.5/3.5 34 IS. Complete 8/20.

I got an interview invite from UIC and all the Chicago slots were taken, so I chose the Rockford campus. Does anyone know if there is a public transportation that goes there. I called the Chicago campus and they were not very helpful.

So I called and they basically just told me to keep watching my status and that they had of applications so it may take a while.

Sad day. I wanted to be like buuuuut I submitted in July and I'm from IL! Love me!!! But I held back hahah. Hopefully they get around to it soon!

Last edited:
So I called and they basically just told me to keep watching my status and that the had of applications so it may take a while.

Sad day. I wanted to be like buuuuut I submitted in July and I'm from IL! Love me!!! But I held back hahah. Hopefully they get around to it soon!

Thanks for letting us know... hopefully we hear good news soon!

how was the Chicago interview like? any feedback/tips?

Interview day was really good. The room they have you wait in before your interview/tour/lunch is really nice. Old style wooden room with a piano, portraits of important old people etc. Reminded me a bit of Harry Potter. It makes you feel the importance of what you're doing. While we were waiting, a random med student came in to share his thoughts. He gave us really good insight into why he picked UIC etc. He said he wasn't supposed to be there but just stopped in. After waiting we had a presentation by the Dean of Admissions. Not much new info here except they're trying to create more uniform programs across the different campuses and implementing more problem based learning. There were 16 of us there. 8 in the morning group and 8 in the evening group. They gave us lunch. Small potbelly sandwiches. Enough to have 2-3 if you wanted. Cookies chips and drink.

The tour of the school was awesome. My tour guides were MS4s. You tour guides could potentially be your interviewers so you can't be as candid as you might like to be. Very nice, knowledgeable people. Got to see a lot of the school. The Interviews were pretty good. They are closed academic records. They didn't have grades or courses, but had my secondary information, and I think my primary information. There were three interviews. I had two MS4s and one PhD professor.

1st interview (MS4), very typical questions. Tell me about yourself, Health Care Policy, Why Medicine, Leadership, etc. I was most nervous for this one since it was my first of the cycle. She also wasn't very responsive to my answers and didn't look at me much.

2nd interview (PhD), barely any "questions", extremely relaxed and fun conversation. She asked about really tiny things on my application. Things I barely talked about. Know your application well! I had a lot of fun with this interview. I feel like I really got to know her and she really got to know me.

3rd interview (MS4) question and answer like the first one but were not your typical questions. He really tried to get to know me and cut through the typical interview BS. Really enjoyed this interview as well. He asked some hard questions. "What's the worse thing you've ever done." Still not sure about my answer! Overall it was a good interview despite the difficult questions. We had good conversations and at the end he said "I really hope to see you here next year."

Overall great interview day. I didn't think I would be as excited for UIC as I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview day was really good. The room they have you wait in before your interview/tour/lunch is really nice. Old style wooden room with a piano, portraits of important old people etc. Reminded me a bit of Harry Potter. It makes you feel the importance of what you're doing. While we were waiting, a random med student came in to share his thoughts. He gave us really good insight into why he picked UIC etc. He said he wasn't supposed to be there but just stopped in. After waiting we had a presentation by the Dean of Admissions. Not much new info here except they're trying to create more uniform programs across the different campuses and implementing more problem based learning. There were 16 of us there. 8 in the morning group and 8 in the evening group. They gave us lunch. Small potbelly sandwiches. Enough to have 2-3 if you wanted. Cookies chips and drink.

The tour of the school was awesome. My tour guides were MS4s. You tour guides could potentially be your interviewers so you can't be as candid as you might like to be. Very nice, knowledgeable people. Got to see a lot of the school. The Interviews were pretty good. They are closed academic records. They didn't have grades or courses, but had my secondary information, and I think my primary information. There were three interviews. I had two MS4s and one PhD professor.

1st interview (MS4), very typical questions. Tell me about yourself, Health Care Policy, Why Medicine, Leadership, etc. I was most nervous for this one since it was my first of the cycle. She also wasn't very responsive to my answers and didn't look at me much.

2nd interview (PhD), barely any "questions", extremely relaxed and fun conversation. She asked about really tiny things on my application. Things I barely talked about. Know your application well! I had a lot of fun with this interview. I feel like I really got to know her and she really got to know me.

3rd interview (MS4) question and answer like the first one but were not your typical questions. He really tried to get to know me and cut through the typical interview BS. Really enjoyed this interview as well. He asked some hard questions. "What's the worse thing you've ever done." Still not sure about my answer! Overall it was a good interview despite the difficult questions. We had good conversations and at the end he said "I really hope to see you here next year."

Overall great interview day. I didn't think I would be as excited for UIC as I am.

Thank you!!!!! that was so helpful. I have mine next wednesday, kind of nervous!
Do you happen to know if there are any hotels walking distance to the school?

Did everyone receive a complete email? My status is application in process but the first page still doesn't have my 4th letter on it (should have been there about a month ago) and I never got a complete email. Wondering if they are considering me complete since I have the minimum letters and my status is application in process or if I should give them a call to confirm?

Thank you!!!!! that was so helpful. I have mine next wednesday, kind of nervous!
Do you happen to know if there are any hotels walking distance to the school?

If you scroll through past posts there's an informal student host program if you're interested in staying with student hosts! Or try airbnb for cheap rooms. Most hotels in the area seemed expensive...

If you scroll through past posts there's an informal student host program if you're interested in staying with student hosts! Or try airbnb for cheap rooms. Most hotels in the area seemed expensive...

oh wow thank you so much!!!!

What time are you supposed to be there if you have afternoon interviews in Chicago?

where is the info for interviews at the urbana campus? My interview is coming up and I have no idea where to go or what time to be there :confused:

HELL TO THE YES!

Finally "Applicant in Process"!!! Probably because I've been calling every Thursday to politely ask about the status of my application and now they're so annoyed by it they made of a note on my file - REVIEW HER ALREADY!!! :p

Are you interviewing in urbana tomorrow? If sothe email says 1130.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using SDN Mobile

HELL TO THE YES!

Finally "Applicant in Process"!!! Probably because I've been calling every Thursday to politely ask about the status of my application and now they're so annoyed by it they made of a note on my file - REVIEW HER ALREADY!!! :p

Me Too!!!

Congrats guys! Glad to see that things are moving along. Was there a few days ago and they said we were in the first group of non-EDP interviews so its still very early in the cycle for this school!

HELL TO THE YES!

Man, mine is still 'application'. And I got so excited! :p

But seriously, congrats and best of luck! Hope you hear good news soon!

HELL TO THE YES!

Me Too!!!

I went to check mine right away upon reading this and....still Application In Process. :( Maybe I should start calling them every week?

btw, how long typically from when you're marked "applicant in process" until you hear about II/rejection?

I've been "applicant in process" since around 9/20... Still nothing :\

I went to check mine right away upon reading this and....still Application In Process. :( Maybe I should start calling them every week?

btw, how long typically from when you're marked "applicant in process" until you hear about II/rejection?

I've heard it's about 2 weeks from 'applicant in process' to II/rejection. As for me, I'm taking solace in the fact that einstein was complete in July and I wasn't complete 'til August. Hopefully they just haven't gotten around to me yet.

I've heard it's about 2 weeks from 'applicant in process' to II/rejection. As for me, I'm taking solace in the fact that einstein was complete in July and I wasn't complete 'til August. Hopefully they just haven't gotten around to me yet.

I have no idea if its a huge coincidence that my status changed today or if it actually had something to do with my calling....

However, I'd recommend calling every Thursday and just politely asking for a status update anyways. Last week the woman told me I was doing the right thing by checking in on my application and calling regularly. So I figure it can't hurt, as long as you are polite and express an interest in the school :)

Maybe you should call? I was complete at the end of August... I'm thinking about calling them next week myself. I wish I thought of calling today :bang:

I have no idea if its a huge coincidence that my status changed today or if it actually had something to do with my calling....

However, I'd recommend calling every Thursday and just politely asking for a status update anyways. Last week the woman told me I was doing the right thing by checking in on my application and calling regularly. So I figure it can't hurt, as long as you are polite and express an interest in the school :)

Maybe you should call? I was complete at the end of August... I'm thinking about calling them next week myself. I wish I thought of calling today :bang:

You guys definitely have a point. I'll start calling next week. :oops:

I've been an applicant in progress forever (like 2 months)...

Hey guys...I'm not sure what's going on with UIC but my secondary app was complete on October 9th and I just became "applicant in process" yesterday. I was "application in process for like 5 hours then when I checked back, it all of sudden became "applicant in process" No idea why I had such a quick turnaround time!

GOOD. This will probably be me now, ha. Have you tried calling and asking about your status??

No not yet but I think I will next week after seeing as it seems the admissions dept is open to that

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

where/who did you here this from?

Hello Friends,

I interviewed on 10/2/12. I just noticed that my status changed to "Decision Pending". So I was wondering if it's a good sign or a bad sign? Does that mean I am wait-listed Or does that mean they yet have to make a decision regarding my acceptance or rejection? Any right comment would be really useful. Thanks! :)

Hello Friends,

I interviewed on 10/2/12. I just noticed that my status changed to "Decision Pending". So I was wondering if it's a good sign or a bad sign? Does that mean I am wait-listed Or does that mean they yet have to make a decision regarding my acceptance or rejection? Any right comment would be really useful. Thanks! :)

I've had that status for weeks. It is what you said it is - they haven't made a decision yet. The committee meeting is next thursday, I believe, so that should change next week.

Hey all,

Don't know if this outline was posted yet, but I felt that it might be helpful to bring up again. My application cycle last year followed these general rules, but there can always be a deviation, so take this with a grain of salt.

START

I. Submit Primary.

II. Wait for the email from UIC giving you your login information for the Applicant Status Check site (usually arrives within 2 weeks of submitting your primary): https://mercury.comd.uic.edu/appstat

III. Login, and check your status in the second page. (hit NEXT button)

---

A. "Application Not Complete" = Secondary not yet complete.

B. "Application in Process" = You are complete. --> Goto C.

C. "Applicant in Process" = Your file is being reviewed, 3 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Select Interview Date" = You are good enough for an interview. --> Goto D.
2. "Application in Process" = You are not good enough to grant an interview yet, but might be later on in the cycle. Check back periodically. --> Go back to B.
3. "Final Decision Made ..." = You are not good enough. --> Goto X.
D. "Select Interview Date" (A grid of dates shows up) = Call and schedule an interview date, after which "Interview Scheduled on ... " shows up. After the interview, Goto F.

F. "Decision Pending" = File pending review at the next adcom meeting (every 3rd Thursday of the month). There are 2 options from here, depending on the month:
1. Before May. --> Goto M.
2. On or After May. --> Goto N.
M. Before May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " --> Goto S.
2. "Decision Pending" (No Status Change) + "We'll keep reviewing you" Email (a few days later) = You are a good candidate, but not good enough to grant an acceptance yet. UIC will keep reviewing you at every adcom meeting. --> Go back to F.
N. On or After May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " You are (very likely) rejected. --> Goto X.
2. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. --> Goto Y.
S. There are 2 additional conditions from here:
1. There is an "Additional Correspondences" Tab in the upper-right corner on your status page AND you get a CBC Email (a few days later) = You are (very likely) accepted. --> Goto Z.
2. There is no "Additional Correspondences" Tab and/or you don't get the CBC Email = Rejection. [Note: This is tricky. The CBC email usually comes a few days after (1-4 is the consensus) the status change. Be patient. Sometimes, the email never comes, which might be because you already had a CBC done due to an acceptance at another school. In some instances, the CBC Email even comes after the snail-mail. If after a week, neither the tab nor the CBC email shows up, it's very likely a rejection. You've probably already received snail-mail by now alerting you to it.] --> Goto X.
X. "Final Decision Made ..." = Rejection ... Wait for a "Thin Letter" via snail-mail.

Y. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. ... The CBC Email no longer acts as an indicator of an acceptance. If you get accepted off of the waitlist, then Goto Z, else Goto X.

Z. "Final Decision Made ..." + "Additional Correspondences" Tab + CBC Email = (very likely) Acceptance ... Wait for a "Fat Packet" via snail-mail. [Note: Sometimes CBC emails come after the packet. CBC emails also might never arrive if you got an acceptance to another school that also does CBC through AMCAS.]

FINISH

---

*** PLEASE BEAR IN MIND that this info came from 2009. Therefore, the whole process may have changed since then, and there is no guarantee to this information. But it worked for me (even though I was given the same warning) and the time line was accurate.

I've had that status for weeks. It is what you said it is - they haven't made a decision yet. The committee meeting is next thursday, I believe, so that should change next week.

Hey Reek. Thanks buddy! Really appreciate your response. :)

Hey all,

Don't know if this outline was posted yet, but I felt that it might be helpful to bring up again. My application cycle last year followed these general rules, but there can always be a deviation, so take this with a grain of salt.

START

I. Submit Primary.

II. Wait for the email from UIC giving you your login information for the Applicant Status Check site (usually arrives within 2 weeks of submitting your primary): https://mercury.comd.uic.edu/appstat

III. Login, and check your status in the second page. (hit NEXT button)

---

A. "Application Not Complete" = Secondary not yet complete.

B. "Application in Process" = You are complete. --> Goto C.

C. "Applicant in Process" = Your file is being reviewed, 3 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Select Interview Date" = You are good enough for an interview. --> Goto D.
2. "Application in Process" = You are not good enough to grant an interview yet, but might be later on in the cycle. Check back periodically. --> Go back to B.
3. "Final Decision Made ..." = You are not good enough. --> Goto X.
D. "Select Interview Date" (A grid of dates shows up) = Call and schedule an interview date, after which "Interview Scheduled on ... " shows up. After the interview, Goto F.

F. "Decision Pending" = File pending review at the next adcom meeting (every 3rd Thursday of the month). There are 2 options from here, depending on the month:
1. Before May. --> Goto M.
2. On or After May. --> Goto N.
M. Before May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " --> Goto S.
2. "Decision Pending" (No Status Change) + "We'll keep reviewing you" Email (a few days later) = You are a good candidate, but not good enough to grant an acceptance yet. UIC will keep reviewing you at every adcom meeting. --> Go back to F.
N. On or After May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " You are (very likely) rejected. --> Goto X.
2. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. --> Goto Y.
S. There are 2 additional conditions from here:
1. There is an "Additional Correspondences" Tab in the upper-right corner on your status page AND you get a CBC Email (a few days later) = You are (very likely) accepted. --> Goto Z.
2. There is no "Additional Correspondences" Tab and/or you don't get the CBC Email = Rejection. [Note: This is tricky. The CBC email usually comes a few days after (1-4 is the consensus) the status change. Be patient. Sometimes, the email never comes, which might be because you already had a CBC done due to an acceptance at another school. In some instances, the CBC Email even comes after the snail-mail. If after a week, neither the tab nor the CBC email shows up, it's very likely a rejection. You've probably already received snail-mail by now alerting you to it.] --> Goto X.
X. "Final Decision Made ..." = Rejection ... Wait for a "Thin Letter" via snail-mail.

Y. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. ... The CBC Email no longer acts as an indicator of an acceptance. If you get accepted off of the waitlist, then Goto Z, else Goto X.

Z. "Final Decision Made ..." + "Additional Correspondences" Tab + CBC Email = (very likely) Acceptance ... Wait for a "Fat Packet" via snail-mail. [Note: Sometimes CBC emails come after the packet. CBC emails also might never arrive if you got an acceptance to another school that also does CBC through AMCAS.]

FINISH

---

*** PLEASE BEAR IN MIND that this info came from 2009. Therefore, the whole process may have changed since then, and there is no guarantee to this information. But it worked for me (even though I was given the same warning) and the time line was accurate.

Thanks my friend!

Wasn't this past Thursday the third Thursday of the month??

Yupp. 10/18/12 was the 3rd Thursday of this month. As dmarie91 said, hopefully we will hear something back next week. btw ... I was wondering about your app status. My status changed to "Decision Pending". It will be helpful if you can also share your status. Thanks! :)

PS:- I interviewed on 10/2/12 if it helps! :)

Yupp. 10/18/12 was the 3rd Thursday of this month. As dmarie91 said, hopefully we will hear something back next week. btw ... I was wondering about your app status. My status changed to "Decision Pending". It will be helpful if you can also share your status. Thanks! :)

PS:- I interviewed on 10/2/12 if it helps! :)

Pending as well. :)

Interviewed 10/8. Decision pending

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.