2012-2013 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Another nice school to go to. I really like their 4 communities. 3 of them are just named after really awesome physicians.

Reactions: 1 user
I bet it is the same secondary questions as last year. They have not changed their secondary for like at least the past 4 years. (though they added like another question and reworded some)

The questions are not very original. Why Iowa? What makes you distinct? Describe your medical experience? That third question is kind of repetitive since you already list that in your amcas. =P Though I think once they get a new dean, that might change, especially if it is the candidate Dr. Strakowski whose is a psychiatrist.

And Iowa is the only school I am applying for. If I don't get in this year, I am reapplying next year. I really want to go here. I grew up in Iowa, I have family here, and more importantly my family entrust their lives by the doctors from Iowa medical school. I am at Hopkins but even medical students here are interested in doing residency at Iowa Teaching Hospital.

I sent my application in and am just awaiting my transcript to be verified. Hopefully I will be joining y'all next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Iowa too. I'm from the south, but have visited Iowa before and love the Midwest culture of hard work, down to earth honesty, and diligence. Additionally, I can imagine students there get a great medical educational experience. I know they give preference to citizens of their state, but hopefully my application can be competitive.

Yeah, Iowa is pretty awesome, though Southern Hospitality is hard to beat. For Iowa, I heard thru the grapevine that interview invites are not too difficult, but they have a 10 per MCAT section cut off for out of state students. I wish you the best of luck though!

I just met with the dean of admission Kathi Huebner at Baltimore. She was quite friendly, but I can't find her e-mail address. On the website, it is just her phone number. If anyone knows her e-mail, please let me know.

And just found out their Distinction track with Global health, humanities, research, service, and teaching. The research prgoram sound awesome. =)

Yeah, Iowa is pretty awesome, though Southern Hospitality is hard to beat. For Iowa, I heard thru the grapevine that interview invites are not too difficult, but they have a 10 per MCAT section cut off for out of state students. I wish you the best of luck though!

anything more dependable than the "grapevine" I doubt they'd turn away an out of state applicant that had a 14, 9, 14.

anything more dependable than the "grapevine" I doubt they'd turn away an out of state applicant that had a 14, 9, 14.

There was a thread a while back about whether or not Iowa has a 10 per section cut off for OOS applicants. Can't seem to find it at the moment, but I believe a few people posted that they had been accepted OOS with less than a 10.

Yea, dont believe everything you hear on SDN. Best way to find out is the contact the admissions office directly. Some students really annoy me with stuff like that.

FYI: Secondary essays are not planned to be sent until the 2nd week of July [e-mail from admission]. Though, I think we know what the questions are likely to be. ;)

OOS state applying to Iowa this cycle! So excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a thread a while back about whether or not Iowa has a 10 per section cut off for OOS applicants. Can't seem to find it at the moment, but I believe a few people posted that they had been accepted OOS with less than a 10.

I went to Iowa for my undergrad and I know for a fact that the cut off for IN STATE to get an interview is 8, 8, 7 and a 3.2 GPA. Met with admissions once and they told me this.

Out-of-state is obviously higher. They might tell you if you call and ask...

For current students, what would you say the adcoms look for in OOS applicants?

Got the following email this morning:

We have received your AMCAS Application to the University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine. Applications to the Carver College of Medicine are screened before a Secondary Application is sent. I am writing to let you know that our screening process will begin in in the next few weeks. You will be notified by e-mail regarding a secondary application.

Time to be patient and wait!! :)

Got the following email this morning:

We have received your AMCAS Application to the University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine. Applications to the Carver College of Medicine are screened before a Secondary Application is sent. I am writing to let you know that our screening process will begin in in the next few weeks. You will be notified by e-mail regarding a secondary application.

Time to be patient and wait!! :)

I received something similar but I haven't been verified yet so it said something about making sure my transcripts were in so I was verified ASAP.

Iowa screeeeens?

Yeah I had no idea...

I didn't know either until I got the e-mail this morning. I kind of like that they do screen though. At least I won't have to write essays and pay a secondary fee if I have no chance.

I didn't know either until I got the e-mail this morning. I kind of like that they do screen though. At least I won't have to write essays and pay a secondary fee if I have no chance.

Yeah, I got this email this morning, but checked my AMCAS and I'm still "ready for review"... unverified. I'm confused!

Yeah, I got this email this morning, but checked my AMCAS and I'm still "ready for review"... unverified. I'm confused!

My AMCAS is already verified... not sure what to tell you guys.

"I went to Iowa for my undergrad and I know for a fact that the cut off for IN STATE to get an interview is 8, 8, 7 and a 3.2 GPA. Met with admissions once and they told me this." -futchadoc89

Wow. I did not know the cut off for the interview was so easy. But that explains why 80% of in state applicants get interviews for Carver.

And I am also 1989. =)

"I went to Iowa for my undergrad and I know for a fact that the cut off for IN STATE to get an interview is 8, 8, 7 and a 3.2 GPA. Met with admissions once and they told me this." -futchadoc89

Wow. I did not know the cut off for the interview was so easy. But that explains why 80% of in state applicants get interviews for Carver.

And I am also 1989. =)

Yup it's kind of nice. And then once you get an interview (for anyone) your odds are about 3 to 1. They interview ~350 for ~150 spots.

I received something similar but I haven't been verified yet so it said something about making sure my transcripts were in so I was verified ASAP.

Iowa screeeeens?

I received the same email. I submitted my application on June 5 and my transcripts have been in for a couple of weeks, but I'm still marked under "Ready for review" status. Anyone know what dates of transcript receipt they're working on? I thought they'd be to mine by now.

I took the MCAT on July 6, and that was the last bit I needed added to the app. So, now I guess it's just a waiting game.

I received the same email. I submitted my application on June 5 and my transcripts have been in for a couple of weeks, but I'm still marked under "Ready for review" status. Anyone know what dates of transcript receipt they're working on? I thought they'd be to mine by now.

I took the MCAT on July 6, and that was the last bit I needed added to the app. So, now I guess it's just a waiting game.

go to amcas and they will show you what date they are reviewing.

go to amcas and they will show you what date they are reviewing.

They are currently processing apps that reached "ready for review" status as of June 13. Darn, they didn't mark me "ready for review" until June 27. I guess I've got awhile to wait.

Yup it's kind of nice. And then once you get an interview (for anyone) your odds are about 3 to 1. They interview ~350 for ~150 spots.

Iowa also receives only around 300 applications from in state residents, from which they admit 90 - 100. So you have about a 1/3 chance of getting accepted at Iowa just by being an Iowa resident. Compare that to about 50 spots for the thousands of applications they receive from OOS. Not bad odds!

Iowa is one of my two #1 schools (because I really can't decide). I haven't submitted my AMCAS yet, but I will submit by the end of this week. Do you think that will still be in time as an OOS applicant? :scared:

They haven't sent out secondaries yet (and won't for a few more weeks) so I think you're fine. Just get your secondary in ASAP.

Iowa is one of my two #1 schools (because I really can't decide). I haven't submitted my AMCAS yet, but I will submit by the end of this week. Do you think that will still be in time as an OOS applicant? :scared:

Time is 1 month and exacerbated by J4 weekend.

After reading about the learning communities, I feel like I'm applying to Hogwarts.

After reading about the learning communities, I feel like I'm applying to Hogwarts.

They are the best! I've been on a tour there and it's pretty awesome haha. They even have competitions between the communities... I love it!

They are the best! I've been on a tour there and it's pretty awesome haha. They even have competitions between the communities... I love it!

What else did you learn on the tour that intrigued you? So far, I only know about Iowa from what I've read on their website, but it's always nice to hear from someone on the inside.

What else did you learn on the tour that intrigued you? So far, I only know about Iowa from what I've read on their website, but it's always nice to hear from someone on the inside.

I went there for my undergrad so I've been on a couple tours of CCOM. I think the learning communities are the most unique/interesting part for sure. I also like their Case-Based Learning which students have to do (and you will actually get to sample that in the interview). There are tons of organizations and things for students to join. The actual med school building is fairly new and very nice - great lecture hall, study rooms, research labs, etc. Unfortunately, a couple of the other buildings you'll be in are not the nicest - they're just old.

Actually the anatomy labs is probably the biggest disappointment for me because they're in the basement and it's pretty low tech. I've seen some awesome anatomy labs at other schools (DMU, for example) so Iowa's are a bit of a let down. But I suppose it does the job just fine.

I can answer questions about life in Iowa City and on the University of Iowa campus in general if you want - lived there for four years so I know it pretty well. Feel free to PM me as well.

What would you say the climate is like for LGBT students in Iowa City as a whole, and more specifically, at the COM?

What would you say the climate is like for LGBT students in Iowa City as a whole, and more specifically, at the COM?

I can't comment specifically about the COM, but I would assume it's a good climate because the student body of the greater university and city as a whole are extremely welcoming and open. When Iowa first legalized gay marriage a few years ago some of the first gay marriages occurred in Iowa City. It's a pretty liberal place. I think the COM may even have an LGBT organization... not completely sure, but I think I heard something about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I saw that the COM has a queer students association, that they actually link to on their website. I thought that was pretty neat. I was just wondering because many schools have LGBT programs, but most are rather inactive. Thanks for all of your help!

Yep. I saw that the COM has a queer students association, that they actually link to on their website. I thought that was pretty neat. I was just wondering because many schools have LGBT programs, but most are rather inactive. Thanks for all of your help!

Even if the one in the COM isn't very active I know the one in the University of Iowa as a whole is very active! You're welcome.. let me know if you have any more questions!

I would feel like an EPIC creeper if I attend an undergrad club. EPIC.

The first thing that attracted me to Iowa were the distinction tracks. I'm big on service and research, and I *love* that Iowa allows you to, in essence, have a major within medicine.

Iowa is definitely my #1 school right now. My numbers are enough to get me in (I think); I just need to make it past the 2500+ OOS applicants.

I would feel like an EPIC creeper if I attend an undergrad club. EPIC.

The first thing that attracted me to Iowa were the distinction tracks. I'm big on service and research, and I *love* that Iowa allows you to, in essence, have a major within medicine.

Iowa is definitely my #1 school right now. My numbers are enough to get me in (I think); I just need to make it past the 2500+ OOS applicants.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the tracks! I'm pretty excited about the teaching one.

One thing that's kind of fun if you're into the sort of thing is I know every fall there's a huge bar crawl for Iowa's med school, dental, pharmacy, law, and maybe public health or something - can't remember what the last one is. It's a nice chance to get out and meet other grad/prof students.

Bar crawl? Dude.

12446459.jpg

I'm going to cry if I don't even make it to the interview stage.

Bar crawl? Dude.

12446459.jpg

I'm going to cry if I don't even make it to the interview stage.

Oh Iowa is BIG on the bar crawls lol. Also 2 words: Hawkeye football! If you haven't been to a Big Ten game before it is definitely something to check out - it's sooooooo much fun. I've heard that all COM exams take place on Friday mornings - so you pretty much have Friday afternoon and the weekend off (well you could always study more, but let's be honest). Some med students I talked to said they made it to every single home game in their first year.

GOOD LUCK! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Reading through Iowa's 2011-2012 thread was the most stressful thing I've done this month. Holy Mother of God.

The whole final-pool debacle was especially stressful. I think IS have it better than OOS (well, derp) but yeah.

Congrats punkedoutriffs!
1st one on SDN to post invite

Status
Not open for further replies.