2012-2013 University of Nebraska Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS submitted. processed, and sent off to UNMC. Submitted at exacly 8:30am from my job and took 45 min. I'm ready to go EDP.:)

Last edited:
My AMCAS was also submitted and processed today for the EDP :) I still have to wait 2 weeks for my MCAT score though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool! Good luck with the stress of waiting for that score. I went through it twice...seemed like a month lasted a year. Are you IS?

Yes, I'm IS. Are you? Yeah, I really hope I don't have to take it a second time because I'll probably have to drop EDP if I do because of the August 1 deadline unless they don't need the second score by then.

Yep. Went to UNL and graduated in 2010 ( Biochem ). Been doing internships, shadowing, and working since then. I feel so old compared to all other applicants though. Lets hope we both are successful. I'm tired of this poor job market. lol

According to their accepted age demographics, I think being a little older and more experienced will be to your benefit! http://www.unmc.edu/com/docs/COM_application-demographics_BRAND.pdf
I'll be 22 by the time it's August 2013 so these numbers scare me a bit, but I suppose these stats are a few years old by now. I find it really hard to believe that in 07 and 08 they accepted zero people ages 20-22

According to their accepted age demographics, I think being a little older and more experienced will be to your benefit! http://www.unmc.edu/com/docs/COM_application-demographics_BRAND.pdf
I'll be 22 by the time it's August 2013 so these numbers scare me a bit, but I suppose these stats are a few years old by now. I find it really hard to believe that in 07 and 08 they accepted zero people ages 20-22

OMG! Yes! I saw that too. It was like as soon as that year hit they made a rule to only take applicants 23 years old and above! Crazy! Arent most college grads 21-22? I was...

Anyone know when UNMC will start to review applications?

Probably not until July since AMCAS doesn't transmit any data to medical schools until June 29

Well alright. I can relax for a week or so, then start prepping for the interview. Thank you md1991.

Whoa....on average only ~290 NE residents apply to UNMC each year, yet ~115 get accepted. Whats wrong with our state? Go anywhere else you'll see around 1k-1.5k residents applying to their state school. Now I know why UNMC puts a heavy priority on recruiting its own.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Will they email us the secondary?

Will they email us the secondary?

Yes they will indeed, either that or an email notifying that we have been moved to the normal applicant pool followed by a secondary. In any case we will be receiving secondaries by email. I've been checking mine like a madman everyday and haven't received word yet.

I'm only going to be 22 when I'm interviewing. Is it a waste to apply since only one person between 20-22 matriculated in 2009?

I'm only going to be 22 when I'm interviewing. Is it a waste to apply since only one person between 20-22 matriculated in 2009?

I don't think there are any guarantees for any age group. Just go for it :thumbup:. I was 22 when I graduated and knew I had some maturity issues to work out before even being considered. This may be the case for most of that group in 09', however you could be way different. So you never know if you don't try.

I'm hopping to start hearing something at the beginning of next week.

....In other news...geeze it was hot in Lincoln today.

Thanks! I'm also hoping we'll hear something next week.. It shouldn't be too much longer..

Omg me too. Just afraid to open it. lol...

i'll ruin the surprise: pay $70.

Lol. Sorry, dude...I obtained a fee waiver so I don't have to pay for the secondary. EDP here, it was the real secondary app asking for a photo and interview date. My number one choice is unmc.

Lol. Sorry, dude...I obtained a fee waiver so I don't have to pay for the secondary. EDP here, it was the real secondary app asking for a photo and interview date. My number one choice is unmc.

Aug 24th interview. Been waiting 2 1/2 years for this. Can't wait. :)

Congrats on your interview!

Incoming M1 here, feel free to ask or PM me if you've got any questions about the application/interview process.

Oh trust me, I will. Thank you for your help.

I'm an out-of-stater who was rejected last Friday. Sent an appeal on Saturday and got the invite today.

just got the interview invite. scheduling for the middle of november (dates are available from early october to january/february). oos.

p.s. this may be the most exciting thread on the forum

Wow--congrats esp. to all of the OOS-er's for the interview invites. I had thought UNMC is pretty IS-intensive, but is that wrong? Do you guys have family in the area or something?

Wow--congrats esp. to all of the OOS-er's for the interview invites. I had thought UNMC is pretty IS-intensive, but is that wrong? Do you guys have family in the area or something?

...or just killer stats/EC's...:)

...or just killer stats/EC's...:)

I had to appeal a preliminary rejection, so I must not be that desirable. No in-state ties, but I'm from a small town and plan on practicing in a rural area. I'm curious to know the appeal success rate.

Only 17 out-of-staters matriculated last year. It's definitely an in-state friendly school.

I had to appeal a preliminary rejection, so I must not be that desirable. No in-state ties, but I'm from a small town and plan on practicing in a rural area. I'm curious to know the appeal success rate.

Only 17 out-of-staters matriculated last year. It's definitely an in-state friendly school.

Thanks for confirming the non-delusion, and congrats on the OOS interview! I only recently applied, but I'll update for your appeals stats (which I think is inevitable).

Good luck man:thumbup:

Thanks dude! ... I assume you're a dude... Girls don't address guys as "man," right?

Non-trad here. I know 2 guys from my high school in the sticks in Iowa who went to UNMC, so there's got to be a chance, right? :xf:

I'm not suposed to like this school because I'm a Badger but I can get over it ;) for you OOSers w interviews would you mind sharing your stats?

I'm not suposed to like this school because I'm a Badger but I can get over it ;) for you OOSers w interviews would you mind sharing your stats?

...and I live in Iowa City, but I'm still into it.

It's possible. :thumbup:

Quick question, gang: is no one here totally shocked and impressed by how quickly UNMC is going about this? I mean, I've got a few state schools who have offered no guise of even receiving my primary, yet UNMC has been tossing out interviews already? I like it. That alone makes me a bigger fan.

Agreed. We can't even SUBMIT the Madison secondary until august 20th

Does anyone know if Nebraska offers student hosting for the night before the interview? I can only find information regarding discounted hotel prices.

Does anyone know if Nebraska offers student hosting for the night before the interview? I can only find information regarding discounted hotel prices.

From what I have heard no, but it would always be a better idea just to email Gigi in the admissions office.

I'm OOS too. Where you from?

I'm from CA, going to a state university. I would assume from your username you go to Duke? Are you from NC originally?

Decent MCAT, high GPA.
SMDEP, two summers of research at big name research universities, and good ECs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.