2012-2013 University of North Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello?
Anyone?

lol

1206_fleeing-states-north-dakota_485x340.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming no dak might be a little more competitive this year since its joining amcas and is more accesible to more students. Just a thought.

Residency requirement? I know they're not as tough as south dakota, but from what I've read no dak seems to be open to other midwesterners, mostly minnesotans.

Yeah, in previous years you had to meet certain residency requirements even to get the application. My understanding is that they'll accept a few MN residents, former long term ND resident, then residents from other midwest states that don't have their own medical schools, and American Indian students from anywhere.

Should be an interesting process this year for UND just joining AMCAS.

Priority, as I would assume, should still go:
ND Residents > Past ND Residents > OOS MW Residents > OOS (not MW)

Of course, WICHE/URM also have their own 'slots'

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the secondary questions (if any) were last year?

I'm assuming no dak might be a little more competitive this year since its joining amcas and is more accesible to more students. Just a thought.

Where did you find out about that? So does that mean we'll be applying through amcas?

On that video on amcas's website they list nd as new to amcas. Also when you add schools to your amcas nd is available

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you find out about that? So does that mean we'll be applying through amcas?

I attend UND and they've definitely started AMCAS. Also as far as the residency requirements that were talked about earlier, N Dakotans make up 80-90% of the class and there's something like 7-8 spots given to people from MN with ties to the area. Obviously there are occasionally some people from OOS (not MN or surrounding states) but it takes very strong statistics to get in as you don't score many points on their interview selection criteria if you aren't from the area or have strong ties to it.

Hi Y'all

So I called Admissions today to get some info on requirments since their website says it's still being updated....

Letters of rec: 3 letters total: 2 from science professors, 1 from a supervisor of a medically-related activity.

As far as admissions (I used to be a ND resident, now MN) she said they can only accept a limited amount of MN residents which makes it more difficult to get in if you're not from ND.

If they require a medically-related activity letter, does that mean the LoR has to be in addition to a Committee Letter?

Didn't know/expect that, guess I'll have to ask around.

"Recommendations should include two letters from instructors/faculty (or a Committee letter if their school provides such a letter) and that one letter be from a job supervisor or someone that the applicant has interacted with in a medically related activity/job. "

From the website.

"Recommendations should include two letters from instructors/faculty (or a Committee letter if their school provides such a letter) and that one letter be from a job supervisor or someone that the applicant has interacted with in a medically related activity/job. "

From the website.

Those are two very different things. Wonder if it matters which you get. I might have to look around for one.

UND is usually pretty slow on the applications (Nov/Dec/Jan), anyone know how they're handling it all this year as they're new to AMCAS? Primary Screen/II/Interviews/etc? I would assume they're getting significantly more applications this year, but maybe not.

Those are two very different things. Wonder if it matters which you get. I might have to look around for one.

UND is usually pretty slow on the applications (Nov/Dec/Jan), anyone know how they're handling it all this year as they're new to AMCAS? Primary Screen/II/Interviews/etc? I would assume they're getting significantly more applications this year, but maybe not.

Someone I had a meeting with said they've already gotten a ton of apps (way more than last year) and are trying to release II this week but are having computer issues. As far as the other portions, they select interview based on a point selection criteria they have for semi-auto interviews. idk how they select the rest.

Someone I had a meeting with said they've already gotten a ton of apps (way more than last year) and are trying to release II this week but are having computer issues. As far as the other portions, they select interview based on a point selection criteria they have for semi-auto interviews. idk how they select the rest.

Thanks for the update.

I'd be surprised if they didn't get way more apps than last year, MSAR says they only got 294 total. That's got to be one of the smallest pools in the country.

I'm sure they expected the overflow though, so hopefully the technical issues get resolved without too much difficulty.

I was going to app here since their stats are pretty low, but OOS unfriendly :(

I was going to app here since their stats are pretty low, but OOS unfriendly :(

ya just to be honest if you don't have ties to the area, you need to have ridiculous stats to even get a look

ya just to be honest if you don't have ties to the area, you need to have ridiculous stats to even get a look

Yea that's basically what I was told in my WAMC thread when I originally had ND listed. Good luck to everyone!

Yea that's basically what I was told in my WAMC thread when I originally had ND listed. Good luck to everyone!

Yeah, if you aren't INMED/WICHE/from ND it's a significantly more difficult school to get into. The funny thing is I bet they will get a huge amount of applications this year because of numbers from past years. It also appears like they accept nearly 30% OOS, but those numbers are inflated from the INMED/WICHE programs, a relatively small class, and applicants with significant state ties. Should be an interesting 'test cycle' for UND... will also be interesting to see if it gets more competitive or not with AMCAS.

UND, thankfully, has a very transparent mission, and that's to support North Dakotan medicine, and they do a heckuva good job of it. :thumbup:

Good luck, all.

Yeah, if you aren't INMED/WICHE/from ND it's a significantly more difficult school to get into. The funny thing is I bet they will get a huge amount of applications this year because of numbers from past years. It also appears like they accept nearly 30% OOS, but those numbers are inflated from the INMED/WICHE programs, a relatively small class, and applicants with significant state ties. Should be an interesting 'test cycle' for UND... will also be interesting to see if it gets more competitive or not with AMCAS.

UND, thankfully, has a very transparent mission, and that's to support North Dakotan medicine, and they do a heckuva good job of it. :thumbup:

Good luck, all.

I would doubt it gets a large amount more competitive because of their heavy emphasis on the area. most nd kids already are applying there as are many mn kids which are the primary source of their draw. the most i could see it going up is mcat my maybe .5 or so and gpa by less than .1. just my opinion though which we all know isn't worth much :laugh:

I would doubt it gets a large amount more competitive because of their heavy emphasis on the area. most nd kids already are applying there as are many mn kids which are the primary source of their draw. the most i could see it going up is mcat my maybe .5 or so and gpa by less than .1. just my opinion though which we all know isn't worth much :laugh:

Another thing to keep in mind is that I believe they calculated their GPA's differently with their own system, more favorably, than AMCAS did historically. Now they'll be using AMCAS calculated GPAs for their interview invite point system.

I forgot to add this to my SDN subscription list!

I've applied to UND this year--I have two friends in the med school here who LOVE it (one a ND resident, one a MN resident with no ties to ND whatsoever).

PMOD, I am bound to see you on the interview trail... I just know it.

I guess I'm one of the OOS students with ties to ND you guys are talking about. My family's freshly retired from the military, and we don't really have a settled place for residency yet. I lived in North Dakota as a kid (both years of middle school,) and I liked the area. We'll see how it works out, though.

Good luck all!

Anyone know when the first round of secondaries is available? Their cycle doesn't begin until November, but just curious since they're new to AMCAS this year.

Here's some info on the school:

~70 M-1 spots offered for the 2017 class (increase of 8 spots, 13% class size increase)
Classes begin 8/1 (today!)
Focuses on pumping out North Dakota-bound GP, especially rural; > 1/3 of the class goes in to Primary Care or Internal Medicine
Strong residency, INMED, WICHE and NW Minnesota bias (see PDF linked below)
Very non-diverse class (>90% Caucasian school and population)
~3.7/29N median matriculant

Released data: (% original cut, % of last cut)

Total Applications:

294 applied
149 interviewed (51%, 51%)
81 were accepted (33%, 54%)
62 enrolled (21%, 77%)

In-State Applications

146 applied
109 interviewed (75%, 75%)
59 were accepted (40%, 54%)
50 enrolled (34%, 85%)

Out-of-State Applications

148 applied
40 interviewed (27%, 27%)
22 were accepted (15%, 55%)
12 enrolled (8%, 55%)

Timeline:
Middle/Late November - Interviews (via email) for December
January 15th - Accepted students notified

I guess I'm one of the OOS students with ties to ND you guys are talking about. My family's freshly retired from the military, and we don't really have a settled place for residency yet. I lived in North Dakota as a kid (both years of middle school,) and I liked the area. We'll see how it works out, though.

Good luck all!

Take a peek at this:

There is a point system used to determine interviews automatically (click here)

Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:
wow, interesting point system. what if you were a former long term ND resident and now MN resident? would they give you 50 pts twice?

I wonder how many MN residents apply... I would guess it's the majority of the 150 or so OOS applicants, but who knows...

I wonder how many MN residents apply... I would guess it's the majority of the 150 or so OOS applicants, but who knows...

i know a lot of kids from my class (soon to be SR from UND) are from MN and are applying here. so i would definitely agree with you. just calculated my score. i get a 235/250 possible for a MN resident. let's hope thats good enough for an auto interview. :D

wow, interesting point system. what if you were a former long term ND resident and now MN resident? would they give you 50 pts twice?

i would guess it depends on where you claimed residency from. i would guess you're looking at a flat 50 though haha

I would assume it goes by which one applies most. If you're now a MN resident, even if a past ND resident, I would assume that they give you 50 points for being a MN resident. I cannot imagine they would give you 100 to match those from ND.

Either way, I think you'd at least have a good shot at an interview with that strong of a tie and if you have the stats for it.

Edit: I'm just curious as to how many applications they'll get this year, now that they've joined AMCAS. Also, whether they're still prescreening their applications.

Thank you for the link! I lived in ND for two years, so I'm hesitant to presume I'd get any points on the residency section. In which case, I may potentially be reviewed for the extra spots, but it seems unlikely.

You're welcome!

Depends, you'd have a great shot at getting an interview, I think. The acceptance rate, at least in the past, has been higher for OOS applications than most other schools. It's really just whether it's worth the money to you!

Clearly, the school favors in-state appreciably, but based on past years it's not crazy for OOSers either, but that was with far less applicants. I'm excited to have a pretty good shot here.

1. What do you consider to be your hometown? Explain.

2. Given the purpose of the school, please justify why you should be accepted for admission. INMED students, please explain how you fulfill the purpose of the Indians into Medicine Program.

3. Describe how your experiences (health care or social care) will help you develop into a compassionate physician.

4. Describe how familiar you are with life in a rural and/or Native American community.

5. Describe how you have contributed to your family or community.

6. What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to medical school: [ Edit ]
This Year? Ever?

7. If needed, update the information in your AMCAS application (i.e., grades in recent courses, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation, additions to extracurricular activities, unreported legal infractions, etc.).

8. Describe your connection to the state of North Dakota. WICHE, INMED and Minnesota applicants, describe your connections to your respective communities and/or to North Dakota.

9. UNDSMHS REAPPLICANTS ONLY: When was your previous application, and, subsequently, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Note any relevant academic, employment, clinical, and personal experience.

1600 char limit

i kind of wonder if i know any of you nodaks...our state isnt that big lol

Most likely.

The best part is, I'd wager that you and kalbrecht17 took the MCAT in the same room.

Speaking of which, kalbrecht/light, do you have a high intention of attending UND? Or are you preferential towards going OOS? You both seem like you'll likely have the options elsewhere.

But anyways, I am still waiting on my secondary here. University of Minnesota - Twin Cities is also being quite slow out of the starting gate, unfortunately.

Most likely.

The best part is, I'd wager that you and kalbrecht17 took the MCAT in the same room.

Speaking of which, kalbrecht/light, do you have a high intention of attending UND? Or are you preferential towards going OOS? You both seem like you'll likely have the options elsewhere.

But anyways, I am still waiting on my secondary here. University of Minnesota - Twin Cities is also being quite slow out of the starting gate, unfortunately.

I actually took the test in the cities (UMN is my undergrad). I havent gotten UND's secondary yet but I got the U's.

I would definitely consider UND.

I actually took the test in the cities (UMN is my undergrad). I havent gotten UND's secondary yet but I got the U's.

I would definitely consider UND.

That's great, I love the UMN!

I have neither one, but would love either, but still keeping my options open, of course.

Not that it really matters for here, but does that mean you already got your secondary?

Either way, thanks! :)

yep i did yesterday afternoon.

if you went to the U, then its looking less likely hah

Most likely.

I'm a MN native so although I really like und's med school, i'm being realistic about my chances there since i know its heavy nd preference. but here's to hoping i get a couple of acceptances and can make a choice.

1. What do you consider to be your hometown? Explain.

2. Given the purpose of the school, please justify why you should be accepted for admission. INMED students, please explain how you fulfill the purpose of the Indians into Medicine Program.

3. Describe how your experiences (health care or social care) will help you develop into a compassionate physician.

4. Describe how familiar you are with life in a rural and/or Native American community.

5. Describe how you have contributed to your family or community.

6. What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to medical school: [ Edit ]
This Year? Ever?

7. If needed, update the information in your AMCAS application (i.e., grades in recent courses, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation, additions to extracurricular activities, unreported legal infractions, etc.).

8. Describe your connection to the state of North Dakota. WICHE, INMED and Minnesota applicants, describe your connections to your respective communities and/or to North Dakota.

9. UNDSMHS REAPPLICANTS ONLY: When was your previous application, and, subsequently, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Note any relevant academic, employment, clinical, and personal experience.

1600 char limit

Would you mind clarifying for me? Is the 1600 character limit per prompt, or is it for the whole thing (you never know)?

Thanks in advance!

Would you mind clarifying for me? Is the 1600 character limit per prompt, or is it for the whole thing (you never know)?

Thanks in advance!

I'd be shocked if it wasn't 1600 per essay.

Is that still a requirement?

per what und has on their website right now:

Confidential appraisals by college advisors, instructors, or others are an important part of the application process. Recommendations should include two letters from instructors/faculty (or a Committee letter if their school provides such a letter) and that one letter be from a job supervisor or someone that the applicant has interacted with in a medically related activity/job. (The applicant may submit one additional letter from someone in the health care field if they wish.) Recommendations should be sought from persons who know the applicant well and can give a frank and thorough assessment of the applicant's personality, industry, reliability, and motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.