2012-2013 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I was completely lost on how to save it. I would never have figured it out.

Also, does anyone know the interview format (1 interview, 2 interviews, one-on-one, panel of interviewers)?

I looked at last year's thread and here's what I've found..

From the 2011-2012 thread:
"I interviewed today, and it was a very good experience. The day starts with a brief presentation from Dr. Baker. Interviewees are divided into three groups; one interviewing at 9:00, one at 10:00, and one at 11:00. When you are not interviewing, you are being shown the modules and D2L or you are touring the simulation center. You will generally have 3 interviewers, and one is often a 4th year med student. My interviewers asked mostly about my extracurricular activities, with just one question regarding issues in healthcare. You'll hear it a thousand times, and it really is true: They're just trying to get to know you. So relax, be honest, and show them why you deserve to be there. Good luck!"

Obviously things could be different this year, but this makes me feel pretty comfortable with the day ahead!

Members don't see this ad.

"I interviewed today, and it was a very good experience. The day starts with a brief presentation from Dr. Baker. Interviewees are divided into three groups; one interviewing at 9:00, one at 10:00, and one at 11:00. When you are not interviewing, you are being shown the modules and D2L or you are touring the simulation center. You will generally have 3 interviewers, and one is often a 4th year med student. My interviewers asked mostly about my extracurricular activities, with just one question regarding issues in healthcare. You'll hear it a thousand times, and it really is true: They're just trying to get to know you. So relax, be honest, and show them why you deserve to be there. Good luck!"

Obviously things could be different this year, but this makes me feel pretty comfortable with the day ahead!

i had three physicians interviewing me.. and yes they're are not trying to trick you into answering anything but they do want to see that you have put some thought into your answers..

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbsup: OOS Interview .... Excited to post ... Stats: 4.0 GPA 36R MCAT

Solid Secondary Ties to OKlahoma Thanx for the Interview Postings

II today! IS 30M, 4.00 interview date options: 10/24, 10/25, 11/27. They send you an email if anyone was wondering

II this morning!! Just got my photo and pre-req form uploaded and scheduled for 10-25.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I was asked to share some of my experiences from last year. What I'm posting is a combination of details both from my interview and from what I've gathered from other interviewees and classmates.

From the 2011-2012 thread: "I interviewed today, and it was a very good experience. The day starts with a brief presentation from Dr. Baker. Interviewees are divided into three groups; one interviewing at 9:00, one at 10:00, and one at 11:00. When you are not interviewing, you are being shown the modules and D2L or you are touring the simulation center. You will generally have 3 interviewers, and one is often a 4th year med student. My interviewers asked mostly about my extracurricular activities, with just one question regarding issues in healthcare. You'll hear it a thousand times, and it really is true: They're just trying to get to know you. So relax, be honest, and show them why you deserve to be there. Good luck!"

I would echo everything that the above poster said, except being asked about issues in healthcare. My interviewers were extremely laid back, and they focused mainly on extracurriculars, internships, and my interests--basically spending the majority of the time getting to know me and expanding on what I wrote on AMCAS. One of the interviewers was a physician from my hometown, so we talked about living there for a solid 5 minutes. Not once was I asked anything regarding ethics or current topics in medicine.

The only really medicine-themed questions they posed were "Tell me about yourself" (big money question) and "If you care about people so much, why not social work?" (their roundabout way of asking "why do you want to be a doctor?") One of the things I don't think has been mentioned is that the beginning of the interview is closed, meaning none of the interviewers know your GPA or MCAT scores. The only information available to them is your AMCAS activities section, plus that one-page application you submitted (name, undergraduate institution, major, etc). About halfway through the interview, they ask you to leave the room and stand in the hallway; during this time, they open the other half of your application materials and review your numbers. They didn't spend any time asking about my MCAT (maybe a brief "good job" comment), but asked me about why I got a C in one of my prereqs (Ochem I, the class from hell). Apparently my explanation sufficed because they didn't dwell on it at all, and it was back to the fun kind of questions.

People always say that OU's interview style is conversational, and there's not any other way to describe it. I asked my interviewers what they liked most about OU, what their specialties were (or in the case of the 4th year, what specialty she was hoping to match into), and why they chose those specialties. It was pretty easy to keep the conversation going, and apparently my interview was one of the longer ones, although I didn't notice because there weren't any lulls or awkward silences.

But user beware--my interview was definitely very lax in comparison to others. I talked to several people who were asked about the Affordable Care Act, or healthcare in general. One girl was asked to name something like 3 discoveries that revolutionized medicine. Several people were given one or two ethical scenarios and asked what they would do. One guarantee is that if you have any sort of misdemeanor, you'll be asked about it in detail--case in point: a guy in my walking group was asked more about his MIP than himself, and when that was no longer interesting, his interviewers grilled him on ethical scenarios (think 4 or 5). Really, the quality of your interview depends on the people in the room with you, but for the most part, they're very easygoing. Remember, they're trying to sell OU to you just like you're trying to sell yourself.

At some point in my interview, I think I was also asked "Why OU?" To be honest, I'm sure they love hearing that you want end up in Oklahoma after residency. But don't just say that because you think it's what they want to hear--actually mean it. The goal of the university is to train physicians to practice in the state of Oklahoma, because they contribute an ungodly amount of money to your medical education. One of our professors told us that OU pays for approximately 75% of your med school tuition--which is a huge investment in the long run. So they're ultimately looking for people who see themselves in-state for the majority of their career. That being said, if you're an OOS applicant who just loves Sooner football or a longtime OK resident who can't wait to get out as soon as they graduate, more power to you. Just don't necessarily tell your interviewers that.

If you need help preparing or familiarizing yourself with interview questions in general, I would recommend the "Interview Feedback" portion of SDN. There were some great resources there that (while not necessarily a part of my interview) helped me gain somewhat of an idea of what to expect; similarly, the committee interview (for those of you who went to OU for undergrad) was extremely helpful in providing a feel for the panel interview.

TL;DR Know your AMCAS in detail, be prepared to answer questions about healthcare/ethics (SDN Interview Feedback is your best resource), and don't panic! Of all the schools I interviewed at, OU was by far the most conversational and least stressful. Have fun and good luck!

Last edited:
II this morning!! Just got my photo and pre-req form uploaded and scheduled for 10-25.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing stats? :)

just wanted to let everyone know I got an interview invite on monday morning (10/8) as well i have a 30P MCAT and a 3.56 cum GPA/3.4 BCPM GPA Three options were 10/24, 10/25 and 11/27

Any clue when the next batch of ii's is coming out?

Members don't see this ad :)
So are they only doing a single interview date for the entire month of November?? :(

So are they only doing a single interview date for the entire month of November?? :(

Here's a list of this year's interview dates:

Sunday, Oct. 21
Wednesday, Oct. 24
Thursday, Oct. 25

Tuesday, Nov. 27
Wednesday, Nov. 28
Thursday, Nov. 29

Sunday, Dec. 2

Tuesday, Jan. 8
Wednesday, Jan. 9
Thursday, Jan. 10

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow. I'm anxious to hear how it goes, I'll be there Thursday. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone
Accepted, Class of 2017!!

Here's a list of this year's interview dates:

Sunday, Oct. 21
Wednesday, Oct. 24
Thursday, Oct. 25

Tuesday, Nov. 27
Wednesday, Nov. 28
Thursday, Nov. 29

Sunday, Dec. 2

Tuesday, Jan. 8
Wednesday, Jan. 9
Thursday, Jan. 10
Hmm, only 10 interview days. I wonder how many people they interview each day.

Good luck today guys! I've heard wonderful things about the school. Let us later interviewees know how it goes! :)

they usually do 30 students per day..

Seconded. I think the format is the same as last year, in that October interviewees (i.e. the first 90 people) will be notified relatively quickly if they were accepted or rejected. Anyone interviewing in November or later is usually rejected or deferred until all interviews have been completed (usually the latter--don't freak out :))

Last edited:
Keep in mind I could easily be full of BS. They haven't told us how any of the changes this year will affect acceptances.

I have heard they will only offer acceptances twice, once in December and once in marxh

I have heard they will only offer acceptances twice, once in December and once in marxh

Okay, so it is different than last year. Getting an early interview is still a good sign, though.

Okay, so it is different than last year. Getting an early interview is still a good sign, though.

Agreed. It still shows where you stand in comparison to other applicants in the pre-interview process

I was just wondering since this is a long shot school for me and I received a secondary application...trying to see if I should save the money or go for it. Thanks in advance guys and gals! Goodluck to everyone!

I was just wondering since this is a long shot school for me and I received a secondary application...trying to see if I should save the money or go for it. Thanks in advance guys and gals! Goodluck to everyone!

It's $35 and it's only a questionnaire. If you can't swing $35, then don't bother.

WAIT! Sorry. My mistake. It is $65. :oops: I mistook this one for USF's. :rolleyes:

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up, I was beginning to think, 'So you're telling me that as an OOS I have to pay more AND have a smaller chance of getting accepted? LAME.' :p

Had my interview today, it was a great experience. The interviewers are super chill and friendly so don't worry too much.

They asked me questions like: 1) Tell me about yourself. 2) What do you think about healthcare in America? 3) Why didn't you take the MCAT again? 4) What other schools did you apply to? 5) Do you have any questions for us? Is there anything else you would like to tell us? 6) How do you deal with stress? 7) What was your favorite class? 8) Do you have any relatives that work in the healthcare field? 9) What do you do for fun? 10) What is the most significant and disappointing thing you have seen so far in your healthcare field experience

That's all I can think of right now, let me know if anyone has any questions. Good luck!

Had my interview today, it was a great experience. The interviewers are super chill and friendly so don't worry too much.

They asked me questions like: 1) Tell me about yourself. 2) What do you think about healthcare in America? 3) Why didn't you take the MCAT again? 4) What other schools did you apply to? 5) Do you have any questions for us? Is there anything else you would like to tell us? 6) How do you deal with stress? 7) What was your favorite class? 8) Do you have any relatives that work in the healthcare field? 9) What do you do for fun? 10) What is the most significant and disappointing thing you have seen so far in your healthcare field experience

That's all I can think of right now, let me know if anyone has any questions. Good luck!

+1
I also had several of those questions in my interview on Sunday. I also agree that the interview is very laid back.

Just interviewed today; it's very laid back and lunch is scrumptious.

Has anyone received/heard news about the next batch of interview invites?? I have a 29, 3.9 and haven't heard a thing :(.... Getting a little discouraged....

Interview Invite!

OOS but with strong ties to Oklahoma

Filling out the prerequisite form, my writing-intensive English recommended course is the same as one of my two required English courses but I figure it's the same for a lot of people. I can't seem to figure out how to save it as a pdf without clearing all the entries but I'm planning on printing my completed form then scanning it so I can upload it.

Interview Invite!

OOS but with strong ties to Oklahoma

Filling out the prerequisite form, my writing-intensive English recommended course is the same as one of my two required English courses but I figure it's the same for a lot of people. I can't seem to figure out how to save it as a pdf without clearing all the entries but I'm planning on printing my completed form then scanning it so I can upload it.

Congrats! What day options did you have?

II this morning!!! Selected November 27th. MCAT 29 GPAs 3.7

Does anyone know if people who are interviewing on Dec 3 included in the first round of acceptance?

Does anyone know if people who are interviewing on Dec 3 included in the first round of acceptance?

Along the same lines, I was wondering when the first committee meeting will be held. I know that it's in December, but I'm not sure when in December it is.

Along the same lines, I was wondering when the first committee meeting will be held. I know that it's in December, but I'm not sure when in December it is.

I would guess they're meeting the first week of December. At my interview Sherri said we would be notified electronically around the 7th-10th (which I found odd since that range was a weekend, fri-mon) and then official letters by mail would follow. They've had weekend interviews though so, maybe that's not an odd range of days to say for when they will email results. That could allow the Dec 2nd interviews to be considered in the first committee meeting.

So, I really don't know anything, that's just my best guess... 5 more weeks of guessing to go!

Sent from my iPhone

I would guess they're meeting the first week of December. At my interview Sherri said we would be notified electronically around the 7th-10th (which I found odd since that range was a weekend, fri-mon) and then official letters by mail would follow. They've had weekend interviews though so, maybe that's not an odd range of days to say for when they will email results. That could allow the Dec 2nd interviews to be considered in the first committee meeting.

So, I really don't know anything, that's just my best guess... 5 more weeks of guessing to go!

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the information :thumbup:

I was initially thinking mid- to late-December but I don't think they want to meet (and deal with emails) during the holiday season.

I hate this wait... So many more weeks to go until we find out.

I hate this wait... So many more weeks to go until we find out.

+1

This is the last school I'm waiting to hear back from, so I'm just in this horrible stagnant phase of the cycle. December can't come fast enough!

Sent from my iPhone

I wonder how many spots they will fill during the first committee meeting (December)? Seems like they would have to fill a majority of the class out of the first committee meeting since there's more interview dates.. Who knows though..

I'm pretty sure that in the past, when they did rolling admissions, that they would accept about 100-120. Then when those spots were full, they would start to defer. Class size is 160 so it makes since that that's probably how many they'll accept in December this time as well.

Thanks for the info :thumbup:
About 3 weeks left (hopefully) until we hear something. :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.