2012-2013 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't lose hope for interview invites! (I'm saying this for schools in general for this season)

Complete: 8/2!
~3.7/35 non-traditional applicant with an MS (3.95) in Human Nutrition, IS

I would like some advice from current students: I am a reapplicant, which is why I am a non-traditional applicant. My previous application cycle, I received one interview and it was in fact from UVA.

I interviewed in December that season and was waitlisted immediately (it was the year they were wary with their acceptances because the previous year they had over admitted and had to defer some of their students' acceptances)

I'm hoping their decision to reinterview illustrates how I've tried to improve my experience since the previous cycle. Do current students have advice on how I should "re-interview" commenting on my previous experiences and emphasizing growth? Do current students know of admitted students who interviewed at UVA twice?

For people still waiting for invites, specifically from UVA, the first date available was Feb 6 with about 8 days open in February (I would say approx 30-40 more invites?)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't lose hope for interview invites! (I'm saying this for schools in general for this season)
--

For people still waiting for invites, specifically from UVA, the first date available was Feb 6 with about 8 days open in February (I would say approx 30-40 more invites?)

1st part - Hope!

2nd part - Less hope! Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like some advice from current students: I am a reapplicant, which is why I am a non-traditional applicant. My previous application cycle, I received one interview and it was in fact from UVA.

I interviewed in December that season and was waitlisted immediately (it was the year they were wary with their acceptances because the previous year they had over admitted and had to defer some of their students' acceptances)

I'm hoping their decision to reinterview illustrates how I've tried to improve my experience since the previous cycle. Do current students have advice on how I should "re-interview" commenting on my previous experiences and emphasizing growth? Do current students know of admitted students who interviewed at UVA twice?)

I know of one girl who interviewed at UVA twice, as I hosted her first yer, but she is not going o UVA as far as I know. Whether that's because she was not admitted or chose to go somewhere else, I don't know.

I was a reapplicant, but only applied to UVA during my second cycle, so I can't comment directly on UVA, but I did heavily emphasize that I was a reapplicant on my application. I spoke about how I considered other careers, and ultimately felt like being a physician was the best position for me, but how if I hadn't gotten in that second time, I would have sought other careers because I didn't know how much more I could've improved my application.

My interviewers at UVA actually focused kindly heavily on the unique experiences I had on my application, such as being a direct salesperson, so I ended talking about personal growth a fair amount.

But, the bottom line is that you should be yourself. Good luck!

Would it be best to send the letter of interest/update directly to the dean of admissions, or just the general admissions contact email?

Dr. Densmore has a lot going on... Not only is he Dean of Admissions, he's also a dean of student affairs and an attending on service. Good as he is with responding to emails in a timely manner, I wouldn't want your update to get lost. Send it to the admissions email, and they'll be sure it gets to the right person.

Quickly losing hope I'll be getting an interview invite at UVA. Obviously most students don't share stats with each other, but could any current students say if anyone with a lower GPA and higher MCAT was offered an acceptance at UVA.

I have a 3.56/3.57/39R and am in state.

I need to be at the greyhound station in charlottesville by 5, do interviews generally end before 4pm?
see you guys there on monday!

Would it be best to send the letter of interest/update directly to the dean of admissions, or just the general admissions contact email?

send to the general admissions contact email

Quickly losing hope I'll be getting an interview invite at UVA. Obviously most students don't share stats with each other, but could any current students say if anyone with a lower GPA and higher MCAT was offered an acceptance at UVA.

I have a 3.56/3.57/39R and am in state.

my gpa was ~.1 higher but my mcat was also wayyyy lower than yours

I need to be at the greyhound station in charlottesville by 5, do interviews generally end before 4pm?
see you guys there on monday!

you should be able to make it! if anything, i'd try calling or emailing the admissions office and ask them for the earlier interview block. you kind of go through interview rotations, so if you ask for the earlier one due to travel constraints, i'm sure they'll move you there. i think most ppl get out by 3:30-4 if you don't go to the financial aid talk.

Accepted! OOS, interviewed this week

CONGRATS!

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from UVA regarding the availability of a student host?

And how far in advance should you contact them to set it up? The letter just says a minimum of two weeks notice.
The student hosting program is pretty responsive, depending on when you have your interview I would just send in a request as soon as possible and you will most likely be matched with someone. I did this and had a blast it was a great experience.

Can anyone comment on the financial aid/scholarship situation for OOSers at this school? I have an interview, but I've been accepted to schools I rank higher, so I'm unsure of whether to attend.

Just got an II OOS!

I was complete 9/23, GPA ~3.8, MCAT ~34-38

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure. I only see dates in February. There's one in the beginning of the month and then a cluster in the middle.

Can anyone comment on the financial aid/scholarship situation for OOSers at this school? I have an interview, but I've been accepted to schools I rank higher, so I'm unsure of whether to attend.

UVa is one of the more generous schools in terms of financial aid/scholarship. Although tuition is high at 53k OOS, the need-based scholarship covers up to $18.5k OOS + potential subsidized loan with no interest in med school. They do consider parental information in determining eligibility.

In addition, I know a handful of classmates with merit-based scholarships of around $10k a year.

http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/education/medical-students/financial-aid/medical-school-costs

Hope that helps!

I would say to give UVa a shot....if you've heard anything about our interview day, you should know that it is truly one of the best out there!

(PS there is more to a school than rankings - I know classmates who have turned down Pitt, Hopkins, Vandy, etc to come to UVa for one reason or another. Come check us out to find out why!)

II invite today!

Complete end of September. Does anyone know the interview invite to acceptance ratio for both IS and OOS?

II, complete mid July. Only mid feb interviews available.

II invite today!

Complete end of September. Does anyone know the interview invite to acceptance ratio for both IS and OOS?

2011 stats, according to USNWR:
IS: 151 interviewed, 127 accepted, 84 enrolled
OOS: 435 interviewed, 245 accepted, 72 enrolled

2012 stats, according to UVA's website (they don't specify the total # of students accepted):
IS: 154 interviewed, 75 enrolled
OOS: 446 interviewed, 81 enrolled

Really excited about this interview.

I wonder why this thread is so quite this year. Last year by this time this thread already had 10 pages.

Really excited about this interview.

I wonder why this thread is so quite this year. Last year by this time this thread already had 10 pages.

Good luck with the interview :thumbup:

Maybe we can get things going...so, who's thinking there's a good chance they may be going to UVA next fall? :p

I just submitted my student host request email for my January 14th interview! UVA is my top choice and I'd jump at the opportunity to attend UVA SOM in the fall :)

Maybe we can get things going...so, who's thinking there's a good chance they may be going to UVA next fall? :p

Oh, I am definitely going...provided that I get one of the February interviews and they accept me.

Complete mid-October and still haven't heard back. Anyone know if UVA is still giving out iis? Also, are they receptive to pre-interview updates or interest letters?

I just submitted my student host request email for my January 14th interview! UVA is my top choice and I'd jump at the opportunity to attend UVA SOM in the fall :)

Oh, I am definitely going...provided that I get one of the February interviews and they accept me.

haha good luck with the interviews fellas! :luck: let us know how it goes

Complete mid-October and still haven't heard back. Anyone know if UVA is still giving out iis? Also, are they receptive to pre-interview updates or interest letters?

Based on other people's responses I think there are still some spots left in February. Also, sending a letter of interest won't hurt so it may be a good idea to do so.

+1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

The facebook group for the class of 2017 isn't up yet. I think it is set up by the UVA Medical Alumni Association sometime in early spring.

Source: facebook stalking

II today and totally surprised! Does UVA interview into March? I have a feeling that I picked the last day possible...

They interview in march???. UVA looks like it will be my last interview and it's in feb. can't wait, this is still one of my top choices.

II today and totally surprised! Does UVA interview into March? I have a feeling that I picked the last day possible...

They haven't the past couple year, and I don't see any reason for them to do so now. Second look is usually the same week as match week (in years past, also the same week as end of second year, but that's been pushed back).

They haven't the past couple year, and I don't see any reason for them to do so now. Second look is usually the same week as match week (in years past, also the same week as end of second year, but that's been pushed back).

Second look is the weekend before Easter this year.. March 22nd-24th? I'm currently in a state of too lazy to look at a calendar. Well that is of course unless they plan to change it.

Interviewed today! It was a fun day, despite the gloomy weather. Everyone there made you feel welcomed and tried to de-stress you as much as possible. I'd recommend all ladies to bring flats for the tour as to not get your heels caught between all the bricks. Admissions makes their decisions each Friday, I hope to get good news soon :)

I will be interviewing in Mid-Feb. I am looking for a hotel to stay for the weekend. I am not using the student host program since my wife will be coming with me. We plan to make a weekend of it. I have been looking through the list of hotels given in the interview packet, but I was wondering if anyone could comment on the quality/cost of any of these hotels. Which hotels would you recommend?

Also, what are a few of the things someone should do while visiting in Charlottesville for the weekend, besides going to the historical sites and the nice downtown mall? Any awesome eating spots?

I will be interviewing in Mid-Feb. I am looking for a hotel to stay for the weekend. I am not using the student host program since my wife will be coming with me. We plan to make a weekend of it. I have been looking through the list of hotels given in the interview packet, but I was wondering if anyone could comment on the quality/cost of any of these hotels. Which hotels would you recommend?

Also, what are a few of the things someone should do while visiting in Charlottesville for the weekend, besides going to the historical sites and the nice downtown mall? Any awesome eating spots?

I'm a fan of the Hampton Inn off Main Street. My mom stayed there while she was in town and its right around the corner from the hospital complex. Look at hotels through something like hotels.com if you want to compare prices.

In Feb, there aren't going to be quite as many things to do. There's a nice orchard nearby, but that's more of a fall thing. If you like hiking, there's a number of trails nearby that I can recommend. Other than that, there's not a whole lot I can recommend.

A for food, you have a plethora of choices. I personally love Revolutionary Soup on the Corner, and Bodos is a staple if you like Bagels. Basil is pretty good Mediterranean fare. I've heard Eppies on the Mall is pretty good too. There are more restaurants than you'll be able to experience, so just explore and pick a couple that sound interesting to you.

Cool. I will check those eating spots out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Interviewed this week, heard some great news today!

II just now! Complete mid-October. Am I essentially interviewing for a waitlist at this point?

Got my rejection from UVA last week! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.