2012-2013 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see it mentioned in this thread... Is lecture attendance optional and are lectures streamed online?

Also, grading is P/F... Ranked? What is the "pass" cut-off?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

II today, complete late August... what a wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't see it mentioned in this thread... Is lecture attendance optional and are lectures streamed online?

Thanks.

Grading is P/F Unranked. I forgot the cut-off but it is not bad def lower than some of the schools as I keep going around.

Yes on the lecture online part but i'll wait for mvenus to talk about lecture attendance.. as I still don't have the breakdown on the normal lecture hall vs the table style...

Edit: I doubt lectures are mandatory because my student host was skipping a lot unless a patient was coming that day.

Rejection pre-interview this morning. Good luck to everyone going forward!!

Thanks.

There are some lectures that are required. I'm not sure the percentage in the current class, and it'll vary by block (virtually everything in MSI is required, while you can get away with hardly coming at all in Heme). Lectures aren't streamed online in real time, but they are recorded and are available for download and streaming immediately after the lecture finishes. Some lectures, however, are not recorded.

Yes, grading is P/F during years 1, 2, and 4. We have the standard A-F scale during third year. The cut-off for P is 70% overall, with a minimum of 60% on exams, I believe.

And Student Affairs keeps a record of class rankings, but it's only used for AOA purposes (because you need to be in the top 25% to be eligible for AOA).

lectures with patients usually aren't recorded out of privacy. i think on average, we get about 130/156 people showing up for classes, although it fluctuates a lot depending on subject matter, what the week looks like, etc.

Got the email of acceptance today! (Interviewed on Monday 1/28...loved the fast turn-around!) OOS; 3.89GPA; 34Q

Got the email of acceptance today! (Interviewed on Monday 1/28...loved the fast turn-around!) OOS; 3.89GPA; 34Q

Nice, congrats. And, can anyone speak on whether the UVA is usually pretty quick at making post-interview decisions? I am interviewing on the 18th. Also, I am curious as to what exactly is the school looking for in terms of fit in regards to its students? I want to know whether I am a good fit for this school, besides for academic reasons.

BTW anyone looking for interview invites, I called the admissions office today, and they said that they were still handing out interview invites. So maybe next week...

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice, congrats. And, can anyone speak on whether the UVA is usually pretty quick at making post-interview decisions? I am interviewing on the 18th. Also, I am curious as to what exactly is the school looking for in terms of fit in regards to its students? I want to know whether I am a good fit for this school, besides for academic reasons.

I interviewed on a Monday and I really appreciated hearing back that Friday. In regards to fit, their Next Generation curriculum supports a great deal of group work and collaboration so being able to demonstrate that you work well with peers is beneficial. I was accepted in January so feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

UVA interviews Monday through Thursday and emails decisions from that week's worth of interviews on Friday. Easily the quickest turnaround of any school where I interviewed.

That's nice to know I will be receiving a decision quickly. I hope everything goes well (knocks on wood). I would really love an acceptance.

That's nice to know I will be receiving a decision quickly. I hope everything goes well (knocks on wood). I would really love an acceptance.
As would I!

Interviewed last tuesday- still have yet to hear back. Anyone not hear back by the friday after like they say? Hoping it means I'm still under consideration as I really felt the the school was a good fit for me, and I for the school.

I will be contacting the office on monday to see if the message simply failed to be sent, and will update the thread then. Congrats to all who have received acceptances!

As would I!

Interviewed last tuesday- still have yet to hear back. Anyone not hear back by the friday after like they say? Hoping it means I'm still under consideration as I really felt the the school was a good fit for me, and I for the school.

I will be contacting the office on monday to see if the message simply failed to be sent, and will update the thread then. Congrats to all who have received acceptances!

Actually UVA changed their admissions policies this year...basically they interview Mon-Thur for 2 weeks, then send out the decisions at the end of those 2 weeks on Friday. So I'm guessing you interviewed during the "1st week" of their 2 week cycles.

They were on 1-week admission cycles as of December. Did they end up changing back?

My apologies if this was already discussed. As far as "decisions" go, if you don't hear good news on one of those Fridays, do you just assume waitlist or rejection? Or do they actually tell you? Thanks in advance.

Just got the rejection email. I'm pre-interview. Congrats and good luck to the rest of you that made it farther than I did!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

just got the rejection email. I'm pre-interview. Congrats and good luck to the rest of you that made it farther than i did!

Sent from my nexus 4 using sdn mobile

+1

Just got the rejection email. I'm pre-interview. Congrats and good luck to the rest of you that made it farther than I did!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Same, and I had just sent an update letter earlier this morning...

I too just received a pre-interview rejection. Was complete in July. See MDApps for stats. Good luck to the rest of you!

Correction from my earlier post- I did receive communication Friday after my interview: alternate list.

Would have much preferred an in, but I'll take i! My work email sometimes delays messages by 2-3 days for no apparent reason. My email was timestamped Friday morning though. Sorry to spread confusion, they are 100% what they said: 1-week cycles, decisions out every friday

Just withdrew from my interview. Good luck to the rest of you.

My apologies if this was already discussed. As far as "decisions" go, if you don't hear good news on one of those Fridays, do you just assume waitlist or rejection? Or do they actually tell you? Thanks in advance.

It was mentioned during the pre-interview presentation that they send out e-mails regardless of decision.

Are there any current students that can comment on what kind of personal computer is required with the new curriculum?

I found this page http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/education/medical-students/ome/edtech/buying-page but my current computer falls just short of the "Bare Minimum" standards (Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, the screen isn't 15" and the CPU is a little slow)

I'll probably get a new computer anyway, I'm just wondering if I would need a newer computer from the beginning or if I could afford to wait a few months or so after school starts.

Are there any current students that can comment on what kind of personal computer is required with the new curriculum?

I found this page http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/education/medical-students/ome/edtech/buying-page but my current computer falls just short of the "Bare Minimum" standards (Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, the screen isn't 15" and the CPU is a little slow)

I'll probably get a new computer anyway, I'm just wondering if I would need a newer computer from the beginning or if I could afford to wait a few months or so after school starts.

Crap. I just got a new 13in MacBook last year :(

Just got the second look email with preliminary info! (March 22-23 btw) :soexcited:

to both of the above: we had a few people with their computers who were "just meeting minimum" crashing earlier in the year, so just be warned of that. however, these were in the huge minority ( less than 5 i can think of) whereas everyone else was fine. the main thing is you need to be able to run powerpoints, some kind of video player, and open PDF/word docs. also it's very helpful to get a good note-taking software. this is one of those weird moments in which we've found that windows is superior to macs in that on windows, you can use microsoft onenote, which is basically this fabulous version of taking notes. macs have similar versions like growlynotes but nothing with the same tools as onenote, which several of the mac students in my class have complained about.

tbh your comps sound fine.

Just got the second look email with preliminary info! (March 22-23 btw) :soexcited:

+1

Very excited! It will be my first second look!

congrats guys!! ^_^ if what is on FB is accurate (mar23), it seems like your guys's second look weekend is on our last weekend of spring break, which makes no sense because no one will be around... =\ well i'm sure they'll make a few of us stay behind but yah, how sad! :(

I interviewed on a Monday and I really appreciated hearing back that Friday. In regards to fit, their Next Generation curriculum supports a great deal of group work and collaboration so being able to demonstrate that you work well with peers is beneficial. I was accepted in January so feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

i really want to emphasize this post -- there is a lot of group work and a lot of active learning sessions that even to this day are hitting ppl in my class hard, including myself sometimes. please be warned that like they said on interview day, if you are truly someone who learns best from lectures and does not think you can change your learning style, this is NOT THE SCHOOL FOR YOU. it's been a tough learning curve for a bunch of us but you can tell some people have adapted faster. i LOVE uva but there are definitely a few people who are frustrated week to week by how little lecture we have sometimes. (and of course there are variations in systems too but we just happen to be in a very lecture-free system right now so this is why these complaints may be coming up more now)

i really want to emphasize this post -- there is a lot of group work and a lot of active learning sessions that even to this day are hitting ppl in my class hard, including myself sometimes. please be warned that like they said on interview day, if you are truly someone who learns best from lectures and does not think you can change your learning style, this is NOT THE SCHOOL FOR YOU. it's been a tough learning curve for a bunch of us but you can tell some people have adapted faster. i LOVE uva but there are definitely a few people who are frustrated week to week by how little lecture we have sometimes. (and of course there are variations in systems too but we just happen to be in a very lecture-free system right now so this is why these complaints may be coming up more now)

The administration could be more responsive to our concerns too. It is quite obvious when Dean Canterbury (who is one of the nicest people you will ever meet here, btw) agrees or disagrees with our concerns during our town hall sessions, the CPD representatives were not exactly open to change, and the whole exam question review process is a muddy nightmare (take test --> miss X questions --> wake up a couple days later and find out you got Y points back --> celebrate --> wonder how in the world you got those points back). Also, I feel the resources provided for most of our work are either superfluous or missing key details. Success here (and it is definitely possible to succeed here) depends on your motivation to acquire the whole picture. MIS had huge gaps in material needed for the USMLE - I needed to study that information on my own. MCM seemed to cover ~95% of the biochem material on the boards = awesome. MSI... well, the whole block seems really disorganized. Why are we learning about muscle contraction in the penultimate week of the course?

My advice to incoming students? Use review books (Goljin, First Aid, Katzung, BRS, Lippincott, Pathoma, whatever you like best) as soon as possible. They will fill in the holes in the curriculum so you can avoid the lower peak in that USMLE bimodal distribution mentioned earlier (not sure if it really exists, guess we will find out soon).

MIS had huge gaps in material needed for the USMLE - I needed to study that information on my own. MCM seemed to cover ~95% of the biochem material on the boards = awesome. MSI... well, the whole block seems really disorganized. Why are we learning about muscle contraction in the penultimate week of the course?

My advice to incoming students? Use review books (Goljin, First Aid, Katzung, BRS, Lippincott, Pathoma, whatever you like best) as soon as possible. They will fill in the holes in the curriculum so you can avoid the lower peak in that USMLE bimodal distribution mentioned earlier (not sure if it really exists, guess we will find out soon).
As I'm two iterations removed from the current basic science systems, can't comment on how they're organized - definitely agree that the structure will vary based on the course directors' goals.

However, I'd just like to caution y'all against focusing too much on what's covered by the USMLE for the following reasons:

1) Anything you're learning now will likely long be forgotten by the time you start dedicated studying for Step 1. Concepts I knew cold just a few months prior to our time off had to be relearned.
2) While it is important that UVa continuously tries to refine their units so that their value increases and they cover the core concepts, what's considered clinically important and what's important for Step 1 is sometimes unfortunately mutually exclusive. There are things listed in First Aid that are frankly bull**** for us to learn. It's not like medicine is a field lacking in information to test students on, so I'd rather UVa skip some of that stuff (who cares what agar I need to grow a certain bacteria?) to focus on things I'll actually use and learn that stuff on my own later. Blocks should still deliver info efficiently and effectively - I'm not excusing any deficiencies current first years might find in the current versions of systems - I just wouldn't measure their effectiveness by what's covered in Step 1 prep books.
3) This is somewhat a recap of point #1, but the value in using Step 1 resources during these units is in any annotations you make, not in anything you're retaining for the future (which will be next to nothing). Reading First Aid during GI, for instance, will give you an outline of what's important, allow you to write down some notes to flesh out concepts more than review books will themselves, show you some mnemonics to help you on the exam, etc. Will you remember any of that in the January before you take Step 1? No, but you'll have your notes to make re-learning it a little easier. I scored somewhere in the top 15% of our class for Step 1 and had pretty much forgotten most of what I'd studied a month after I took it - how much do you think is going to stick with you from a year before?

It sounds like my class (SMD14) did have a bimodal distribution for scores (while our average is up, the graph of scores comes up months later). Every class before us had a different breakdown in their ranges despite going through the same "old Gen" curriculum, so I'm not sure how much value there is in trying to interpret our distribution - especially as how it pertains to studying strategies...

As I'm two iterations removed from the current basic science systems, can't comment on how they're organized - definitely agree that the structure will vary based on the course directors' goals.

However, I'd just like to caution y'all against focusing too much on what's covered by the USMLE for the following reasons:

1) Anything you're learning now will likely long be forgotten by the time you start dedicated studying for Step 1. Concepts I knew cold just a few months prior to our time off had to be relearned.

I do not think it is wise to focus on the First Aid material, and I would never endorse it. I would, however, recommend reviewing that material so it is familiar later. Do not sacrifice one for the other, in other words. A lot of people have no problem focusing on both the material covered in class plus the information that is not covered (and retaining it for months). I suppose it depends on ability/memory and your style of learning.

2) While it is important that UVa continuously tries to refine their units so that their value increases and they cover the core concepts, what's considered clinically important and what's important for Step 1 is sometimes unfortunately mutually exclusive. There are things listed in First Aid that are frankly bull**** for us to learn. It's not like medicine is a field lacking in information to test students on, so I'd rather UVa skip some of that stuff (who cares what agar I need to grow a certain bacteria?) to focus on things I'll actually use and learn that stuff on my own later. Blocks should still deliver info efficiently and effectively - I'm not excusing any deficiencies current first years might find in the current versions of systems - I just wouldn't measure their effectiveness by what's covered in Step 1 prep books.

Why should covering the clinically relevant material and covering the board-relevant material be mutually exclusive? Why sacrifice one for the other? Just do both. We essentially teach ourselves - why not just give us the information and not cover it in class? Also, it is rather obvious when a book launches into a basic science description of a disease that should be beyond the scope of a clinician's concerns - or the opposite: a lack of basic science information with excessive generalities.

On the other hand, I completely agree: the minute lab details, etc. in First Aid and elsewhere are not terribly useful... Unfortunately, the boards are changing more slowly than medical education is, and we suffer for it. I know this curriculum will make us great clinicians, but at some point, whether you agree with it in principle or not, we have to accept that the boards are important - something you obviously did at some point to score so well. I would just like to have that information earlier rather than later.

3) This is somewhat a recap of point #1, but the value in using Step 1 resources during these units is in any annotations you make, not in anything you're retaining for the future (which will be next to nothing). Reading First Aid during GI, for instance, will give you an outline of what's important, allow you to write down some notes to flesh out concepts more than review books will themselves, show you some mnemonics to help you on the exam, etc. Will you remember any of that in the January before you take Step 1? No, but you'll have your notes to make re-learning it a little easier. I scored somewhere in the top 15% of our class for Step 1 and had pretty much forgotten most of what I'd studied a month after I took it - how much do you think is going to stick with you from a year before?

It sounds like my class (SMD14) did have a bimodal distribution for scores (while our average is up, the graph of scores comes up months later). Every class before us had a different breakdown in their ranges despite going through the same "old Gen" curriculum, so I'm not sure how much value there is in trying to interpret our distribution - especially as how it pertains to studying strategies...

You are correct about the annotations. "how much do you think is going to stick with you from a year before?" I guess it depends on your ability to retain information. Studying material now works for me - my history says I will retain much of it, but a few people in SMD2016 have given exactly the justification you mentioned: why study now if I won't remember it? I can't argue with it - each person studies differently.

You don't need a computer with a 15" screen. That really should not be on the minimum requirements list... as long as it is a comfortably sized screen for you, it's fine. And the library has several sets of monitors that you can use in the event that you do need a larger screen.

You do, however, need a computer with a decent memory and hard drive size. Don't skimp on those.

I second this. I highly recommend getting First Aid as soon as the new edition comes out during your year (sometime during MSI), but only because it makes annotating so much easier to do it as you're learning the material, rather than months later after you're trying to cram all that information back into your head.

But, this is advice for first years, not for the pre-meds thinking about coming to UVA.

As far as the person above that said the administration isn't open to feedback... For our OSCE during the end of second year, we had one of our classmates organize a review session for our physical exam skills. The following year, it was integrated into CPD. Our cardio system was a mess, and they got a new course director as a result for SMD15. MSI is a week longer now than it was for us. Immunology and micro are now taught in the same system.

Certainly, there are problems with the curriculum, as there likely are everywhere you go. But it is changing. Perhaps not at the pace you want it to change, but it is changing. Half of our recommendations weren't implemented until SMD15 came through... it's hard to change things in the middle of the system, and a whole lot easier to change policies with a fresh class who isn't going to complain about how things used to be (as much).

Does anyone know what the last date of interview at UVA this year is?

I have a few questions based on what has been said above:

1) You guys are saying we need computers that can run powerpoint, PDFs, word docs, video player, etc. Don't mean to sound harsh but those sound like very basic functions, why would they be a problem for anyone? Am I missing something?

2) If students at UVa don't spend a lot of time in lecture, what do they do throughout the week? I know UVa is very big on "group work" but what does that actually mean? Are we assigned group projects based on the material? Do we form groups to study the material ourselves?

Would really appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

I have a few questions based on what has been said above:

1) You guys are saying we need computers that can run powerpoint, PDFs, word docs, video player, etc. Don't mean to sound harsh but those sound like very basic functions, why would they be a problem for anyone? Am I missing something?

2) If students at UVa don't spend a lot of time in lecture, what do they do throughout the week? I know UVa is very big on "group work" but what does that actually mean? Are we assigned group projects based on the material? Do we form groups to study the material ourselves?

Would really appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

1) Exactly. Our IT person is a little... Shall we say, set in his beliefs. The 'requirements' on the website are mostly things that will be in every computer. You do not, however, need an external hard drive, an external monitor, or a 15" screen. You should get a computer with a decent amount of memory and hard drive space, one with a cd-rom, and one with a VGa adapter. Few computers on the market will not have these things.

2) a good portion of class time is spent working in groups, and one afternoon per week is based in groups. You can form study groups if you want, or study solo...whatever works best for you. The rest of the time is spent studying... Mostly prepping for the next days classes... and time to do whatever you want. For some, this is sports, others art, and others choose to spend more time studying. It's pretty flexible.

As far as the person above that said the administration isn't open to feedback... For our OSCE during the end of second year, we had one of our classmates organize a review session for our physical exam skills. The following year, it was integrated into CPD. Our cardio system was a mess, and they got a new course director as a result for SMD15. MSI is a week longer now than it was for us. Immunology and micro are now taught in the same system.

Certainly, there are problems with the curriculum, as there likely are everywhere you go. But it is changing. Perhaps not at the pace you want it to change, but it is changing. Half of our recommendations weren't implemented until SMD15 came through... it's hard to change things in the middle of the system, and a whole lot easier to change policies with a fresh class who isn't going to complain about how things used to be (as much).

From what I have heard, the Cardio debacle was a shining example of the curriculum's ability to change.

Your post actually brings up another problem. There seem to be several points on which SMD15 and SMD 16 disagree. SMD15 wanted more pre-recorded lectures (the auditory learners maybe?). SMD16 has mentioned in the town halls (and to current system leaders) that we want fewer PRLs and more handouts. Poor Dean Canterbury didn't know what to say when he heard that a few months ago.

Recommendations from the previous class sometimes cause headaches for the next class because the changes may be a matter of preference. There is nothing the admins can do about it right now, but that slow response time has repercussions. Granted, it is more of an annoyance than anything else. However, if they want to respond to student complaints, they have to be able to recognize the recommendations that should be implemented with limited delay and those that must wait (the complete remodeling of a block).

As for responses to CPD criticisms, it is pretty clear that SMD2016 has no love for the new electronic student learning portfolio. Unfortunately, the response we have received (even regarding what should be minor changes) is basically, "This is the system we decided to implement: get used to it." Not even the mentors can figure it out sometimes :eek:. This isn't a curriculum-breaking problem... sometimes I just wish they would say, "Yeah we know it sucks, and we'll do what we can."

As for responses to CPD criticisms, it is pretty clear that SMD2016 has no love for the new electronic student learning portfolio. Unfortunately, the response we have received (even regarding what should be minor changes) is basically, "This is the system we decided to implement: get used to it." Not even the mentors can figure it out sometimes :eek:. This isn't a curriculum-breaking problem... sometimes I just wish they would say, "Yeah we know it sucks, and we'll do what we can."

Eh... they changed our passports on the wards from a paper system to something on OASIS. No one likes it. Not even the faculty. It was supposed to be easier, because we would have an app on our phones where we could get them signed off right as we did them. That app was supposed to be out in time for us to start clerkships. Almost a year later, it's still in development.

They've basically given us the 'tough luck' talk too, despite our efforts to make it more user-friendly. Thankfully, I only need to use it for another 3 weeks and I'm done with it for good. Unless I end up at UVA for residency...

Your post actually brings up another problem. There seem to be several points on which SMD15 and SMD 16 disagree. SMD15 wanted more pre-recorded lectures (the auditory learners maybe?). SMD16 has mentioned in the town halls (and to current system leaders) that we want fewer PRLs and more handouts. Poor Dean Canterbury didn't know what to say when he heard that a few months ago.

I remember a similar difference of opinion between SMD14 and SMD15 about the delivery of LOs (Learning Objectives). If I recall correctly, SMD14 had them in .doc format, and requested .pdf. When SMD15 came along, we made them change it back to .doc. A few months later, they started posting LOs directly Student Source, and all the complaining stopped.

I think the obvious solution (that SMD15 has already brought up) to the PRL/handout debate is to provide both, or at least PRLs + quality readings in lieu of handouts, so everyone can learn how they choose. I recall MAM saying several times that her PRLs are completely optional if you feel you can learn the material better elsewhere, but certainly this is not yet true of all lecturers and their PRLs. My recollection is that SMD15 complained less about PRLs as we moved on through the systems, and I do think it was a combination of improvement by the school and adjustment by the students.

The CPD binders weren't that great either. I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm totally fine with the E-SLPs now. The fact that they made a (wholly unnecessary) 15 min instructional video was daunting at first, but the process seemed to make sense once I figured it out. To be fair, procrastinated long enough for them to install document uploading functionality; I can see how having to copy and paste a write-up from Word would be really lame.

I think it is the first week of march. Mine is the end of February but when I signed up, the dates were still available for the first week of march.

just got the acceptance letter! OOS, and loved the interview experience here.

Accepted today!
Interviewed on Monday it was great :)

Also this was my second interview at UVA as a re-applicant :)

dang waitlisted! :p was really hoping for this one, but congrats to you both! :)

Anyone from Richmond VA area who is planning to go to second look day?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.