2012-2013 Wright State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, all Wright State applicants and warmhearted current students.

I need your perspective on my case:
I'm a permanent resident and was born and raised in my home country.
Undergraduate in pharmacology from my home country, more than 10 years ago, GPA is roughly 2.8 if converted to the US system (If this helps: the grading system was quite stringent back in my home country, especially back to 10+ years ago :-(
MS in bioinformatics from a US university, GPA: 3.6
Worked in the biomedical research field for 5+ years.
English being my second language, I have a quite thick accent and make grammar mistakes sometimes. But generally, my former colleagues had no problem understanding me.

My family has recently settled down in Dayton and it seems that finally I can pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. I am planning to apply to the Boonshoft med school at WSU for 2013 actually, but a question constantly haunts me: will my undergraduate GPA and my English proficiency be a deal breaker for my application to med school?

Hi, all Wright State applicants and warmhearted current students.

I need your perspective on my case:
I'm a permanent resident and was born and raised in my home country.
Undergraduate in pharmacology from my home country, more than 10 years ago, GPA is roughly 2.8 if converted to the US system (If this helps: the grading system was quite stringent back in my home country, especially back to 10+ years ago :-(
MS in bioinformatics from a US university, GPA: 3.6
Worked in the biomedical research field for 5+ years.
English being my second language, I have a quite thick accent and make grammar mistakes sometimes. But generally, my former colleagues had no problem understanding me.

My family has recently settled down in Dayton and it seems that finally I can pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. I am planning to apply to the Boonshoft med school at WSU for 2013 actually, but a question constantly haunts me: will my undergraduate GPA and my English proficiency be a deal breaker for my application to med school?

I'm not 100% certain, but don't you have to have completed your undergraduate course work in the US in order to have a much higher chance?

I will also be applying here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not 100% certain, but don't you have to have completed your undergraduate course work in the US in order to have a much higher chance?

I will also be applying here.

Coursework for a foreign bachelor's will neither be accepted by AMCAS nor US schools (for the purposes of having completed the prereq's.)

Just popping in to join in the conversation, will probably just lurk.

Spouse is the one applying, but I do most of the lurking here so he can spend time on the important stuff (like actually filling out the application). Right now WSU is in his top three. WSU is second (but they don't take many out-of-state applicants as I understand it). Calgary is his top choice but it's also the long shot (Canadian admissions are hard- especially for nontrad students). Cinci is third.

Thought I would share this with those thinking of applying to Boonshoft SOM:

http://www.med.wright.edu/whatsnew/2012/bowman

Pretty exciting news. Good luck to this year's applicants!

Thanks for posting that!
I'm an out-of-state reapplicant and this is my first year applying out of state. I found this school and am really interested?
Can anyone give me any insight into this school more than what I found on their website? Any current students or locals have any information?
Thanks in advance! :)

Thanks for posting that!
I'm an out-of-state reapplicant and this is my first year applying out of state. I found this school and am really interested?
Can anyone give me any insight into this school more than what I found on their website? Any current students or locals have any information?
Thanks in advance! :)

There are several current students who are pretty active on here. Feel free to post any specific questions you have and we'll get to them.

Sent in the secondary fee and got a confirmation email. Is there any way to check the status of our application? The email says don't call and ask about status :p

if there are any, can you post the secondary essay(s) please!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a resident of ohio? I have been verified for over a month and havent received a secondary yet, but I am out-of-state.

No I am also OOS. I just received it yesterday though, so I wouldn't be worrying yet.

Hi applicants,

I will be an incoming student this year, so I thought I would share a little bit about status updates. Unless things have changed since last year, you should receive the following e-mails:

1. An e-mail that invites you to complete the secondary (aka pay a secondary fee, since there are no essays :)) You should get this once your AMCAS is verified.
2. An e-mail that indicates your file is complete (once you have paid the secondary fee).
3. An e-mail that invites you for an interview.

The interviews will probably begin going out in early September or late August. Lots of interviews are given in October and November, so hang tight. If you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Again, I highly encourage everyone to apply! The students, faculty, and staff are all very nice and genuinely want you to succeed. Not to mention, Boonshoft medical students have been getting excellent residencies and are practicing medicine in essentially every state! Please let us know if you have any questions about the school, or about the application process.

Good luck!

Hi applicants,

I will be an incoming student this year, so I thought I would share a little bit about status updates. Unless things have changed since last year, you should receive the following e-mails:

1. An e-mail that invites you to complete the secondary (aka pay a secondary fee, since there are no essays :)) You should get this once your AMCAS is verified.
2. An e-mail that indicates your file is complete (once you have paid the secondary fee).
3. An e-mail that invites you for an interview.

The interviews will probably begin going out in early September or late August. Lots of interviews are given in October and November, so hang tight. If you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Again, I highly encourage everyone to apply! The students, faculty, and staff are all very nice and genuinely want you to succeed. Not to mention, Boonshoft medical students have been getting excellent residencies and are practicing medicine in essentially every state! Please let us know if you have any questions about the school, or about the application process.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the insight. What, in particular, really sold you about the school?

Still no secondary!! I am also OOS and been verified for over a month. Does anyone know if they screen? If so, who do they filter out?

JUST got the secondary and paid the fee as well. Hoping to get some love from ohio schools since my entire family lives there :) good luck to everyone else, may we all have a successful cycle!

Received today 0830, submitted 0832!

Thanks so much for the insight. What, in particular, really sold you about the school?

I chose Boonshoft School of Medicine (BSOM) over a few other schools for a few reasons.

Most importantly, it was a great fit for me. I really liked the small class size, collaborative environment (you have TBLs and with such a small class size, everyone is bound to work together), and everyone in that environment. I guarantee that once you interview here, you will be impressed with how kind everyone is (med students, faculty, and everyone in the admissions office). Not all medical schools can guarantee you this treatment.

But there's more. The match-list, which can be found on the website, is proof that BSOM sends students to where they want to go. We have students attending some of the best residencies in many different specialties, all around the country. This is probably the result of the students' unique personalities, along with the school's innovative curriculum (TBLs, community outreach requirements, diversity of hospital experience, research opportunities, among probably many other things that current students can certainly comment on).

Basically, this school is really awesome! As you learn more about BSOM, I am sure you will feel the same way. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Received and submitted! Any idea when interviews start?

I chose Boonshoft School of Medicine (BSOM) over a few other schools for a few reasons.

Most importantly, it was a great fit for me. I really liked the small class size, collaborative environment (you have TBLs and with such a small class size, everyone is bound to work together), and everyone in that environment. I guarantee that once you interview here, you will be impressed with how kind everyone is (med students, faculty, and everyone in the admissions office). Not all medical schools can guarantee you this treatment.

But there's more. The match-list, which can be found on the website, is proof that BSOM sends students to where they want to go. We have students attending some of the best residencies in many different specialties, all around the country. This is probably the result of the students' unique personalities, along with the school's innovative curriculum (TBLs, community outreach requirements, diversity of hospital experience, research opportunities, among probably many other things that current students can certainly comment on).

Basically, this school is really awesome! As you learn more about BSOM, I am sure you will feel the same way. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Wow sounds like a great place. I hope they give me a shot.

Wait, am I missing something here? It says secondary application....and I just paid $55. That's it? A 10 second secondary?

Yup. Wam, bam, thank you for your $55.

I am applying mainly because I live right outside Dayton so I actually attend some of the teaching hospitals. I am hoping this helps me get in greatly. I am watching the Match video right now and am amazed at where everyone is going. Such a great underrated school. I am glad that specializing is an option. Definitely at the top of my list!

I used to live near Dayton years ago, and would love to attend here. Any suggestions for us OOSers? I heard it's difficult to get in OOS, but this seems like a great school.

I used to live near Dayton years ago, and would love to attend here. Any suggestions for us OOSers? I heard it's difficult to get in OOS, but this seems like a great school.

Although we are definitely in state heavy there are a fair amount of OOS people in our class. You shouldn't let this deter you. Plus any connections with Ohio do help.

I am glad to hear that you are so enthusiastic about our school, but...
Are you sure you are an incoming student and not working for the school's marketing department? Haha. I agree with you that there are graduates from BSOM that attend competitive residencies all around the country. But BSOM students end up in competitive residencies because they do well in their classes, they do well on their boards, they have good LORs, etc. not necessarily because of the 'school's innovative curriculum' and the 'students' unique personalities'. I think it is fair to say, looking at our match list, that BSOM fosters an environment where one can succeed as a student. I, however, also think that that is not an aspect of BSOM that makes it unique. Look at any other match list from any other accredited medical school in the US and it is easy to come to the same conclusion. I bring this up not because I have an issue with the BSOM curriculum but because there a lot of student out there who put a lot of weight on what a school's match list looks like when in all actuality it doesn't tell you much about the school itself.
This, on the other hand, is a much bigger deal. One of the reasons people who have the option to go somewhere else choose to attend BSOM is because they feel like it 'fits' them. I know that seems very vague but for those applying it is something you will get a feel for when you attend your interview, meet students and faculty, etc. For me that uniqueness comes from our student body. I have said it on these forums multiple times before, but in my opinion BSOM picks its students well. I really enjoy going to BSOM. I enjoy the dynamic I have with my classmates and faculty and I find that the curriculum suits me well. There are definitely some aspects of the school that can be a little frustrating at times (I'm not talking major issues here just small things that only med student complain about) and I am sure, just like every other medical school, there are a handful of students who wish they would have gone somewhere else. But I would say for the most part students who go here are happy that they did for a multitude of reasons.
I think historically BSOM used to be very in-state heavy. But for some reason the class of 2014, the class of 2015, and I would assume the class of 2016 all have OOS class percentages around 25%. Before that it used to be a single digit percentage. For a public medical school ~25% is pretty OOS friendly. Obviously it is better to have ties to the state. However, there are several students in my class who are OOS and have no ties to the state whatsoever. So I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I agree with you MattyBee. I only mentioned the match-list to reassure students that BSOM isn't going to limit one's chances at any residency (and let's face it, people care about that when they apply to medical school). And I'm sorry if I misled anyone. Getting into a residency is indeed mostly individual effort (at least according to what I've heard). But at the same time, people thrive in various environments. Sure, you can't prove that a medical school helps you attend a residency, but it can certainly indirectly affect your chances.

Anyway, if any applicants have a questions, clearly there are some BSOM students floating around this message board who will give their insights.

just got the complete email

Got it too, but did you notice that it said "no final decisions will be made until the end of the process in late March?" So does this mean that Wright State interviews everyone during the interview season but does not admit people until March?

Got it too, but did you notice that it said "no final decisions will be made until the end of the process in late March?" So does this mean that Wright State interviews everyone during the interview season but does not admit people until March?

No. This was in the e-mail last year as well. Acceptances were given out all throughout the year. Hope that clarifies things.

Although we are definitely in state heavy there are a fair amount of OOS people in our class. You shouldn't let this deter you. Plus any connections with Ohio do help.

I think historically BSOM used to be very in-state heavy. But for some reason the class of 2014, the class of 2015, and I would assume the class of 2016 all have OOS class percentages around 25%. Before that it used to be a single digit percentage. For a public medical school ~25% is pretty OOS friendly. Obviously it is better to have ties to the state. However, there are several students in my class who are OOS and have no ties to the state whatsoever. So I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Phew! Thanks so much guys! that's really good to know. I must have read an old thread because I thought I had almost no chance as an OOSer.

Since the secondary is just a payment, is there any way I can tell them I have connections to the state?
I was thinking of sending them an update or email....but I don't know if it's too early.
Or maybe it would be best to wait, and if I'm fortunate enough to get an interview I should tell them then.

I just want them to know that I'm serious about the school.

Edit: I got the complete email too. =]

Saw that too and I was a little surprised.

No. This was in the e-mail last year as well. Acceptances were given out all throughout the year. Hope that clarifies things.

I hope you're right!

+3

Saw that too and I was a little surprised.

I hope you're right!

+3

He's right. If you are interviewed you do get a decision in about 4-6 weeks from interview date. Otherwise your application remains open. If not invited for an interview, then when we are done interviewing, emails will go out indicating the end of the process is over for this year.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Debbie
Office of Admissions

He's right. If you are interviewed you do get a decision in about 4-6 weeks from interview date. Otherwise your application remains open. If not invited for an interview, then when we are done interviewing, emails will go out indicating the end of the process is over for this year.

Debbie
Office of Admissions

Thanks

Debbie
Office of Admissions

Another ADCOM? Cool.

Thanks for the info!

Phew! Thanks so much guys! that's really good to know. I must have read an old thread because I thought I had almost no chance as an OOSer.

Since the secondary is just a payment, is there any way I can tell them I have connections to the state?
I was thinking of sending them an update or email....but I don't know if it's too early.
Or maybe it would be best to wait, and if I'm fortunate enough to get an interview I should tell them then.

I just want them to know that I'm serious about the school.

Edit: I got the complete email too. =]

I'm not sure if an update would be appropriate at this time. If you get an interview, that's definitely something you could bring up then as they'll undoubtedly ask you why WSU.

I'm not sure if an update would be appropriate at this time. If you get an interview, that's definitely something you could bring up then as they'll undoubtedly ask you why WSU.
Yeah I figured! Thanks for the advice. :)

Anybody else receive the complete email yet? Submitted 7/6 but haven't gotten it yet.

Anybody else receive the complete email yet? Submitted 7/6 but haven't gotten it yet.

You submitted on 7/6? I didn't get my secondary until 7/9 and I thought that was the first day.

Anyway, I submitted on 7/9 and received the complete email on 7/11.

We have received your secondary payment for application to Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine. Your application is now complete. AMCAS will inform you when your letters have been processed and released to your schools. When they do we will automatically have them as part of your electronic file. We will not check status for letters of recommendation because AMCAS will inform you of their status.

After you have paid your secondary payment/fee waiver to WSU BSOM you are complete and in review status. Your status will not change unless you are invited for an interview. Interview invitations are extended from September through February. No final decisions will be made until the end of the process in late March.

Sincerely,

Debbie McNeely
Office of Admissions
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

You submitted on 7/6? I didn't get my secondary until 7/9 and I thought that was the first day.

Anyway, I submitted on 7/9 and received the complete email on 7/11.

Hmmm...did you get any other emails aside from the first one and the fee receipt?

Status
Not open for further replies.