2012 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, has anyone APPLIED for the position at Wright Patterson AFB? And has anyone heard from them?

If you didn't go thru a USAF recruiter during phase one, you prob won't.

Members don't see this ad.

FYI, if you look up the site description, there's a link to the brochure that outlines the procedures for applying to USAF (same for every base). It has to start well before phase one even..

FYI, if you look up the site description, there's a link to the brochure that outlines the procedures for applying to USAF (same for every base). It has to start well before phase one even..
Yes, however, I spoke with the director previous to submitting my phase 2 application and he claimed that they were going to review the applications and contact those they were interested in interviewing. At that point, applicants would meet with a recruiter and go through the medical screening.

Not sure if this actually happened for anyone, but apparently it was possible to apply without being prescreened.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, however, I spoke with the director previous to submitting my phase 2 application and he claimed that they were going to review the applications and contact those they were interested in interviewing. At that point, applicants would meet with a recruiter and go through the medical screening.

Not sure if this actually happened for anyone, but apparently it was possible to apply without being prescreened.

Oh wow, well that's cool!

I did this process with Navy a couple of years ago, got accepted for internship and everything. Then, I got a medical DQ when I went through medical screening due to a remote issue. It was pretty devastating to lose the internship!

Take home message, I guess, is to just be careful because the medical screening doesn't always make a lot of sense, and may not come out the way you'd expect.

I did this process with Navy a couple of years ago, got accepted for internship and everything. Then, I got a medical DQ when I went through medical screening due to a remote issue. It was pretty devastating to lose the internship!

Take home message, I guess, is to just be careful because the medical screening doesn't always make a lot of sense, and may not come out the way you'd expect.

Same happened to me w/ AF in phase one.

If you didn't go thru a USAF recruiter during phase one, you prob won't.

I know, that's not what I was asking. I am aware of the process, and also well aware that they will let positions go unfilled. I saw earlier in phase 2 that someone else asked about them, and wondered if anyone else had re-applied in phase 2 and had heard from them. I'm a little surprised that they would look at applicants who hadn't been through the recruiting process prior to phase 1 since it takes so long, and so much can go wrong with getting qualified on the Air Force side.

I applied and haven't heard anything. :shrug:

.An intern from CVMH just sent me an email, and said there was a big mistake on their end: all of the applications were sent to the wrong portal, so they only found out about 30 minutes ago that they in fact had applicants for Phase II.

So the good news is - basically, if you meet the requirements for licensure (LMHC) in Washington State, they are trying to schedule phone interviews for Monday, and still trying to get in touch. Good luck, everyone! .:xf:

Last edited:
Anybody heard any news from that Sharp Healthcare site? :)

Only news I've heard is that they may decide not to fill the position. Hoping to hear otherwise. How have interviews been going? What sites did you int with for phase 2?

So I don't know exactly what site it is, but apparently I had a friend who had a phone interview scheduled for today, and they never called them. They called a while later and left a message but hasn't gotten a call back. I feel so much for that person, must feel so awful.

Anybody heard any news from that Sharp Healthcare site? :)

This is directly from Dr Murphy:
"Because there is short amount of time before the rankings are due, we may be basing our decision primarily on your cover letter, substance abuse experience, essays, and letters of reference.* I may contact some candidates for points of clarification, but if I do not it is not necessarily a sign that we are not interested, rather it is based on receiving roughly 60 applications for this one position.* I know this is a challenging time for many of us; however, I am glad to have the opportunity to consider so many excellent candidates."

Members don't see this ad :)
.An intern from CVMH just sent me an email, and said there was a big mistake on their end: all of the applications were sent to the wrong portal, so they only found out about 30 minutes ago that they in fact had applicants for Phase II.

So the good news is - basically, if you meet the requirements for licensure (LMHC) in Washington State, they are trying to schedule phone interviews for Monday, and still trying to get in touch. Good luck, everyone! .:xf:

I applied there for Phase I but never heard back about interview status, etc.. I thought they probably skipped phase I and were going to participate in phase II. Fortunately, I matched in phase I. I wonder if all of their applications for phase I were also sent to the wrong portal. Makes you wonder about the quality of the site if they are making these types of errors!

Anyone ever hear anything from Duke?? I expect it's pretty late for anything now, but this is the only site to which I applied that I haven't seen someone say they heard from. Just curious.

Did anyone interview for Duke's pediatric track in phase I? I'd appreciate anyone's impressions via PM. Thanks!

Anyone ever hear anything from Duke?? I expect it's pretty late for anything now, but this is the only site to which I applied that I haven't seen someone say they heard from. Just curious.

No! And I'm kind of disappointed because I interviewed with them in Phase I for the general child track, and really liked the site.

Did Sharp Healthcare go to Phase II? Why do they have a position open still?

This is directly from Dr Murphy:
"Because there is short amount of time before the rankings are due, we may be basing our decision primarily on your cover letter, substance abuse experience, essays, and letters of reference.* I may contact some candidates for points of clarification, but if I do not it is not necessarily a sign that we are not interested, rather it is based on receiving roughly 60 applications for this one position.* I know this is a challenging time for many of us; however, I am glad to have the opportunity to consider so many excellent candidates."

Hi Layleh

Does Sharp Healthcare opened another position for Phase II? I believe all of their 6 positions were filled in Phase I.

Ps. I interviewed there for Phase I, which was great. I didn't match there but I got one of my top choices. If anyone needs tips on how they interview, please PM me.

Early Tuesday morning, they posted a 7th spot due to new funding and rotation.

Hi, just wondering if anyone ended up hearing from Brown? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hi Layleh

Does Sharp Healthcare opened another position for Phase II? I believe all of their 6 positions were filled in Phase I.

Ps. I interviewed there for Phase I, which was great. I didn't match there but I got one of my top choices. If anyone needs tips on how they interview, please PM me.

I'd love to get some tips from you. Please provide any information that you think might be helpful. Thanks!

The interview was a 5 hour interview at Phase I. They paired me with another applicant and two psychologist from each rotation asked us the same questions for 30 minutes. In total I was interviewed by 5 different rotations (10 psychologists). The questions were rotation specific, for assessment; building an assessment battery based on a vignette, or ethical dilemmas mostly related to hospital setting, child/adolescent was particular (if you have the experiences you may be able to answer with no probs), Adult outpatient was the most difficult vignettes.
The site is very CBT and group therapy format. Interns looked happy and comfortable, which was telling. I loved the professionalism and politeness of everyone I met there. If you are heavy psychodynamic, or not comfortable doing just group therapy it is not a good fit for you. However the training is a generalist one, so you would get diverse clinical experiences.

Good luck on you interview and hope you get what you want :)

However for Sharp if you have a different orientation it is not a rule out. They have clinicians with psychoanalytic background. However they expect you to know CBT and as long as you can implement CBT interventions and are comfortable doing it, that is absolutely fine. Interns told me that they come from a variety of different orientation.

Again good luck :)

Rank list submitted, woohoo!

Did anyone have trouble deciding how to rank in this Phase? And did people rank sites where they didn't interview or hear back from? (My answers: no, yes.)

Did anyone have trouble deciding how to rank in this Phase? And did people rank sites where they didn't interview or hear back from? (My answers: no, yes.)

No, yes except for 2 sites that actually e-mailed me to tell me they'd already interviewed people.

I wish match day was Friday. Given how few spots are left, I'm sure it would take less than 3 days to sort through them.

No, yes except for 2 sites that actually e-mailed me to tell me they'd already interviewed people.

I wish match day was Friday. Given how few spots are left, I'm sure it would take less than 3 days to sort through them.
Has anyone heard of someone matching to a site they didn't hear back from?

Has anyone heard of someone matching to a site they didn't hear back from?

Given how late some places look at applications and rank (i.e. Sharp), I'm sure that people have matched in the past with sites that they did not interview with in Phase II.

Given how late some places look at applications and rank (i.e. Sharp), I'm sure that people have matched in the past with sites that they did not interview with in Phase II.

I'd like to see the stats on people matching to places where they didn't interview. Since this is only the second year of Phase II, I'd bet that scenario happened a lot more in the only match when the alternative was the clearinghouse. Sites didn't want to be there and neither did applicants, so each side maybe covered themselves by ranking more. I'm just guessing, though. And I've ranked sites where I didn't interview in all 4 (JEEZ!) phases that I've gone through, now (not that it helped me, haha :p)

Some sites only do paper review without interviewing. Baptist Memorial Hospital pediatric neuropsychology site in Memphis, Tennessee does not have interviews. Someone has indicated that a number of sites do not select in phase I but engage in a process described as "Cherry Picking" in phase II or after phase II since there are a number of top candidates who do not match in phase I. APPIC is trying to model their process after AMA Match day but there is no comparison as all MD students are matched to a site or once they reach this point in their training it is not a question of match but rather where they have matched too. Med Schools have a big celebration and party during Match day as everyone matches somewhere. APPIC and APA need to change the process as all students in APA accredited programs should be similar to AMA accredited programs in that everyone has a place to do their internship/residency.

Some sites only do paper review without interviewing. Baptist Memorial Hospital pediatric neuropsychology site in Memphis, Tennessee does not have interviews. Someone has indicated that a number of sites do not select in phase I but engage in a process described as "Cherry Picking" in phase II or after phase II since there are a number of top candidates who do not match in phase I.

That particular site didn't have any interns for the past few years, either, (and requires 2000+ intervention hours) so it's not representative of ongoing/current sites based on its APPIC directory listing. (I don't know if they'll have interns this year, I haven't looked into it.)

It seems unlikely that a site would routinely neglect to rank applicants for Phase I. I suspect that would raise flags for APPIC and bring the site's accreditation/membership into question ("You have X positions. Why aren't you making them available?") pretty quickly. Not to mention, Phase II applicants are quite varied. It's not just "top candidates" who aren't matching in Phase I. So that would be a risky chance for sites to take, "Yeah, these Phase I candidates aren't exactly what we're looking for so we'll wait til Phase II when our ideal candidate applies out of desperation." Doesn't make sense.

Yes, no. I think it was easy ranking the APA-accredited sites (1 definite, 1 potential), but I had a LOT of difficulty ranking sites lower down on my list, because I feel like I am not sure how good a fit I would be there, even after interviewing with them... of course, this is coming from someone who applied to 73 sites in Phase II, extremely fast, to improve my chances. [I have to match this go around, because I could not stomach going through this process another year.]

Anywho... good luck you guys! :luck:
I hope match day produces some good results for everyone ranking sites. :xf:

Yes, no. I think it was easy ranking the APA-accredited sites (1 definite, 1 potential), but I had a LOT of difficulty ranking sites lower down on my list, because I feel like I am not sure how good a fit I would be there, even after interviewing with them... of course, this is coming from someone who applied to 73 sites in Phase II, extremely fast, to improve my chances. [I have to match this go around, because I could not stomach going through this process another year.]

Anywho... good luck you guys! :luck:
I hope match day produces some good results for everyone ranking sites. :xf:

73 sites?! :claps: Oh my gosh. I really hope you match (even though this system isn't a merit/effort based process), that seems like a ton of effort. How many interviews did you get in Phase II?

[For me, going through it the second time was a lot easier than the first, even though my life was on hold for a year. For anyone who doesn't match this year and decides to apply next year, feel confident that you know the ropes. That made me so much more comfortable in all aspects of the match. I wouldn't have chosen to do it a second time but, in my opinion, the second time was easier than the first... Thus far, same outcome. :p]

73 sites?! :claps: Oh my gosh. I really hope you match (even though this system isn't a merit/effort based process), that seems like a ton of effort. How many interviews did you get in Phase II?

[For me, going through it the second time was a lot easier than the first, even though my life was on hold for a year. For anyone who doesn't match this year and decides to apply next year, feel confident that you know the ropes. That made me so much more comfortable in all aspects of the match. I wouldn't have chosen to do it a second time but, in my opinion, the second time was easier than the first... Thus far, same outcome. :p]

Thanks, Duck Duck! :) I really hope you match, too. It seems like you are pretty resilient, all things considered. What are your plans if you do not match in Phase II?

Yes! I too, cannot believe that I was able to apply to that many sites, especially in light of my stomach virus (that began with vomiting the night before match day - symbolic, I think) AND borderline delerium :uhno: Friday into Saturday, ugh.

BUT, out of that mad hellish rush to apply came 12 interview requests (I ended up taking 10 of them... one I refused, because it was in-person and too far to travel, and the second one, the training director could not remember my name or who-called-whom, so I kind of interpreted that as a red flag, LOL). Overall, I feel like many of the phone interviews I had were really enjoyable - particularly the sites who seemed to have genuine empathy for what applicants are going through - and I feel like some sites would be a really good fit for me... others, not so sure about. I attribute that to the fact that I was not able to get a good feel for the site based on our short conversation. But I guess it is out of my hands now. Here's to still hoping for the best!:xf:

I found the above to be true.

I recommend contacting sites where you interviewed (the ones you thought were a great fit) and asking for some feedback. I found some of the feedback to be very helpful and some to be less helpful (e.g. pretty generic response about having a lot of good applicants, etc). I will say that one DCT gave me some great insight into some of their challenges and she said some really nice things about my interview. While I didn't end up matching there (obviously), the feedback helped validate that I wasn't a complete failure. :D

I made a plan of attack about a week or two after Match, and I tried to really stick to my deadlines. I would still start early, refine your essays, go over your prospective sites with your mentor (and/or trusted faculty/supervisor). Some people need help with interviewing, some don't. By the time interviews came around, I felt incredibly prepared and the process felt like it went a lot smoother from start to finish.

[For me, going through it the second time was a lot easier than the first, even though my life was on hold for a year. For anyone who doesn't match this year and decides to apply next year, feel confident that you know the ropes. That made me so much more comfortable in all aspects of the match. I wouldn't have chosen to do it a second time but, in my opinion, the second time was easier than the first... ]

i agree. much, much easier and less stressful the 2nd time around. it helps that you've already gone through that the thing everyone fears most and are still standing. makes the stakes feel a little less catastrophic.

Sharp just sent an email stating that they had 71 applicants and that I will not be ranked. You may want to check your email. It was a nice personalized email... they are looking for someone with extensive substance abuse experience.

Did any one else apply or interview at Child Guidance Center of Southern CT? When I went to rank their Early Intervention Track it says it has been withdrawn but I didn't see any thing about this on the 'late-breaking news.'

Sharp just sent an email stating that they had 71 applicants and that I will not be ranked. You may want to check your email. It was a nice personalized email... they are looking for someone with extensive substance abuse experience.
Is this in response to your inquiring or did they just send it?

Was yesterday the deadline to rank sites in phase II? When does the Match notice occur for Phase II---Is it this Friday or is there a two week period similar to phase I?

Was yesterday the deadline to rank sites in phase II? When does the Match notice occur for Phase II---Is it this Friday or is there a two week period similar to phase I?

The deadline to rank sites for Phase II was yesterday (3/19). We find out the results on Monday 3/26, so only 1 week of waiting this time around.

Did anyone hear from or hear anything about Oklahoma Health Consortium?

I recommend contacting sites where you interviewed (the ones you thought were a great fit) and asking for some feedback. I found some of the feedback to be very helpful and some to be less helpful (e.g. pretty generic response about having a lot of good applicants, etc). I will say that one DCT gave me some great insight into some of their challenges and she said some really nice things about my interview. While I didn't end up matching there (obviously), the feedback helped validate that I wasn't a complete failure. :D

I think I may have asked this a little while ago too, but I'm still not sure of the answer. I know that contacting sites after this is all over will be a great asset for next time around. Is this only limited to sites where we actually interviewed? Since I only had one interview, it would be helpful, but not as helpful as it could be if I had more. How about contacting sites where you were not granted interviews, could you ask what you could do with your application to make it more competitive for their site?

Honestly I am also interested in contacting TDs of sites where I was not granted an interview to see if I was even on their radar or if I never stood a chance because of my school. It will definitely help me for choosing sites next year.

Two sites ranked... Southeast Human Service Center and Miami VA. Good luck to everyone on Monday!

I think I may have asked this a little while ago too, but I'm still not sure of the answer. I know that contacting sites after this is all over will be a great asset for next time around. Is this only limited to sites where we actually interviewed? Since I only had one interview, it would be helpful, but not as helpful as it could be if I had more. How about contacting sites where you were not granted interviews, could you ask what you could do with your application to make it more competitive for their site?

Honestly I am also interested in contacting TDs of sites where I was not granted an interview to see if I was even on their radar or if I never stood a chance because of my school. It will definitely help me for choosing sites next year.

I think it would be a good idea for you to contact all the sites you submitted an application to. Some may give you a generic reply regarding why you were not selected for an interview but others may have detailed information about why you were not selected. For example, I know a few sites that rate each applicant and decide who gets an interview based on the score their application received. Those types of sites will likely be able to pull your application and give you helpful feedback. At the end of the day, it never hurts to ask. You should also consider having another faculty member, a past supervisor, or your training director (assuming they did not review your application) give you feedback on your application.

Never heard from them, I don't know anyone else who had either.

I don't know of anyone who heard either way.

Four sites ranked (Devereux, Sharp, and 2 APPIC sites), Monday can't come soon enough.

Two sites ranked. Just thinking about opening the email makes me so nervous!