2012 (Jan- April) new format NBDE 2 takers, Join this thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ljohns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Lets start this thread for those of us who are going to take Nbde 2 in 2012, I know there is a old thread about nbde 2 till dec 2011, buts lets share our new experiences since the pattern is changing and there is pass/ fail only, so lets motivate each other what and where to study from, those of you who will take exam starting january 2012 can share their views here.

Where all have you reached with your preps, did anybody start looking at the released questions like ASDA etc. Let me know if someone tried crack the nbde for part 2.
As far as I am concerned I looked once through decks and mosby except patient management. I gave a glance to ASDA 2000-2008 doing pretty bad so have to start revising. How well are you doing guys please share..

Good luck with your preps!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am taking my exam the last week of January. I have used Mosby's, decks, Crack the NBDE, and released exams. I will continue to use these. Anyone taking the exam earlier?

Hey canine crusader,

Nice to hear from you, can you please tell me how well are you doing in the ASDA paper`which all series did you take and average scores in them by just preparing with decks and mosbys, also crack the nbde, I have no idea havent heard from anybody how much they are scoring..can you share..
thanks

Hi friends,
Come on keep up the spirit those who are taking exam soon..How far are you all. Share your experiences if the new pattern NBDE 2 taken in 2012. It will be great help for all who are preparing..

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi there, cud anybody pls tell me study material for nbde 2 n how much time required for prep.....ve to jus start.....thanx .

hi there, cud anybody pls tell me study material for nbde 2 n how much time required for prep.....ve to jus start.....thanx .

Hi,
I am also going to take in feb, but I guess they say not more than 3 months for proper preparation. There are ones who have done in 1-2 month's time.
Good luck with your preps!!

Hello !

NBDE 2 scheduled Feb 2. Completed so far .

Endo - Mosby, Decks
Operative - Mosby, Decks
Oral and Max. Surgery - Mosby
Oral Diagnosis Mosby, Decks
Ortho, Pedo Mosby
Perio Mosby, Decks
Pharmac Mosby - general Pharmac, analgesics BRS
Prostho -
Patient Management -

Asda Papers - done a couple from 1970's (subject wise ) scoring 70-74 %
Kaplan Q bank - Cumulative score - 70 ( omitted pros and pt mgmt from questions)

My plans for this month

Finish Pros and Pt Mgmt ( DUH ! :) )
Kaplan shows my weakest areas to be Oral diagnosis and Perio - so run through decks.

Try Kaplan again and evaluate.
Finish ASDA Q papers .

Suggestions welcome.

Hello !

NBDE 2 scheduled Feb 2. Completed so far .

Endo - Mosby, Decks
Operative - Mosby, Decks
Oral and Max. Surgery - Mosby
Oral Diagnosis Mosby, Decks
Ortho, Pedo Mosby
Perio Mosby, Decks
Pharmac Mosby - general Pharmac, analgesics BRS
Prostho -
Patient Management -

Asda Papers - done a couple from 1970's (subject wise ) scoring 70-74 %
Kaplan Q bank - Cumulative score - 70 ( omitted pros and pt mgmt from questions)

My plans for this month

Finish Pros and Pt Mgmt ( DUH ! :) )
Kaplan shows my weakest areas to be Oral diagnosis and Perio - so run through decks.

Try Kaplan again and evaluate.
Finish ASDA Q papers .

Suggestions welcome.

Hey Meridith,
I am so glad for your post here, I wanted one to come up like this, who can share and motivate. I am also giving in Feb last week Godwilling.
I studied from mosbys and decks so far except, Ortho & Perio.
I personally think prostho & pharm is not sufficient from Mosby so have to refer from somewhere.
Previously scheduled my tests for Dec 29th 30th, since started from ASDA 2000-2008 was getting very low (60%), Kaplan was much easier comparetivily, didnt have much confidence in taking my test so rescheduled again to Feb last week. Now I am all the more scared for the new pattern & thinking how well I am gonna do.I tried covering decks and mosbys before in December everything once, but now have lost touch so have to review decks and mosby all over again. Then waiting to do kaplan and other ASDA papers finally. Hoping in God.

Keep us posted how you been doing,
Thanks & all the best for your Preps.:thumbup:

I have sort of blocked out "the new format" worries. I am trying to get 73-75% of the questions right on ALL the question papers .

I wonder if anyone knows how Kaplan scores compare to the actual test scores. And you are right. Kaplan does seem easier than the ASDA set.

Thats great!! How many revisions are you over with? Lets see if someone replies about kaplan comparing to the actual scores.

RevisionS ? In plural? :D !

Heres what I did. Picked a subject at Random and studied Mosby . did the questions at the end. Studied decks for the same subject. Solved a couple of question papers ( very old - 1970's) . Rinse and repeat for all except Pharm, Pros, Pt. Mgmt.

Pros, Pt.Mgmt - Did not touch yet - please motivate me :) !

Pharm - Gen. Pharm and Analgesics - BRS . rest mosby - scoring less, so will revise Mosby and consider going through tufts (you're right, mosby's inadequate)

Scoring less on O.diagnosis and Perio on kaplan, so going through Decks for both now.

Your turn :)

Just finished 1st day. For those freaking out, plz plz don't. This test was easier than part 1, seriously. The questions were straight forward, nothing really tricky, and not even very detailed. If you read Mosbys once and do old exams you should be fine. The old ASDA questions were in my opinion much harder than the questions on this test. The pharm was much much easier than what I thought. If you paid any attention in school this test should be a breeze. :) Decks is way too much info in my opinion. Good luck to all those studying.

Just finished 1st day. For those freaking out, plz plz don't. This test was easier than part 1, seriously. The questions were straight forward, nothing really tricky, and not even very detailed. If you read Mosbys once and do old exams you should be fine. The old ASDA questions were in my opinion much harder than the questions on this test. The pharm was much much easier than what I thought. If you paid any attention in school this test should be a breeze. :) Decks is way too much info in my opinion. Good luck to all those studying.

Wow Thanks Rightangle,
That was way comforting:). Hope you do good on second day and wish you all the best for scores!! Keep us on track and share with us any experience which you need is important for us to know. Good luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone explain when do you prefer these:

Cast circumferential clasp
Distal rest/ Mesial rest
I bar/ T bar
Ring bar

Thanks

Hey anybody want to do quick revision of mosby & Dental decks, for those who are taking test early this month or next month? Reply soon.

I am taking my exam in less than 2 weeks! Yikes! what would you do for these last days of studying. I am going over old exams now!!!! Some of this stuff is hard to remember from the decks, etc. What would you concentrate on?

I am taking my exam in less than 2 weeks! Yikes! what would you do for these last days of studying. I am going over old exams now!!!! Some of this stuff is hard to remember from the decks, etc. What would you concentrate on?
Hey canine crusader,
Good luck!! Yea thats true better to go through old questions papers I would say, what question papers are you concentrating on right now.. I would do the same and go through some topics which I forget and get wrong mostly. I know you wont have time to revise all over, but in case you want to revise some topic let me know, or try just give a glance by yourself of the decks. Relax the last day specially. Believe in your preparations. Rest leave it to God.:)

I dont know if this of some help!!

HI

I am studying prostho now from mosby and I am planning to take the exam in a month, I have no idea when to use one instead of the other .. the prostho is not clear in decks or mosby !! any idea if kaplan qbanks can help with these stuff?
I need to do a quick revision for decks plus ASDA papers as I didnt go with ASDA till now !!

I am not sure if I need to buy kaplan Qbanks!!

any advice please ?

Distal rest/ Mesial rest
I bar/ T bar
Ring bar

Thanks

Hey I have heard the kaplan Q Bank helps and is good source, its not like part 1. Have you covered all decks and mosbys. I dont remember anything from mosbys, have to revise it again before I take kaplan q bank, but definetly will do it.
Good luck!!

I am doing prostho now from mosby ,,, I need to study perio and pt management too !!

I am done with decks but I think I was not focusing much specially perio, prostho, and ortho!! so I need to do it again b4 ASDA papers ...

I am not sure if I am gonna do the kaplan Qs as I have no time !!

can anybody tell me what is the meaning of die spacer??

it says in mosby .. that it is one of the factors that increase the cement space for the crown

Hey I have heard the kaplan Q Bank helps and is good source, its not like part 1. Have you covered all decks and mosbys. I dont remember anything from mosbys, have to revise it again before I take kaplan q bank, but definetly will do it.
Good luck!!

Die Spacer is a colored, paint-on material applied to dies that adds a desired dimension to the surface
of the die to function as a "spacer." The extra thickness created by the Die Spacer results in additional space between the finished restoration and the natural tooth surface to accommodate the cement used for bonding the restoration.

Hope this helps!!

Are you using dental board busters also just asking cause was wondering if it helps..

Hi ..

thanks a lot for the answer about the die spacer ..

I found a simple answer for your Qs .. will post it later today ..

no I am not using it "the board busters".. I am studying through decks, mosby, remembered and ASDA "later" ... and if I am done with all these will try to do the tuft pharma too .. I dont want to go through many resources as I just want to be done with it !!!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::confused:

GOOD luck .. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Distal rest/ Mesial rest
I bar/ T bar
Ring bar

Thanks

Last edited:
In mosby Qs ...

Metamerism invariably involves:
A. A color difference between 2 objects under one or more illuminant(s).
B. A significant color change of one object as it moves from one illuminant to another.

the answer is A ...

but I was thinking of B!!!

any explanation pls?

Thank you

I found this about I bar and RPI, mesial and distal rest: hope it can help ..

1. The I-bar is more esthetic in most instances since it contacts the tooth minimally.
2. The RPI clasp is best used on caries prone patients. An advantage of an infrabulge clasp system (I-bar) is minimal tooth contact and minimal distortion of normal tooth contours. This leads to improved tissue stimulation and oral hygiene and decreased caries and periodontal problems.
3. The I-bar, proximal plate and mesial rest and minor connector provide adequate encirclement by engaging more than 180° of the tooth. Encirclement of an abutment prevents permanent tooth movement by contacting the tooth at a minimum of three points. The RPI clasp system accomplishes this on the mesial with the minor connector, which connects the rest to the major connector, on the distal with a guide plane and on the facial with the I-bar infrabulge clasp.
4. A mesial rest eliminates the potential “pump handle” effect that a force on the base would provide with a distal rest. On a distal extension RPD, a clasp in an undercut forward of the axis of rotation (which would occur with a distal rest) has the potential for torquing the abutment when functional forces are applied (a class I lever). When an I-bar clasp assembly with a mesial rest functions properly, the retentive tip moves downward and forward into a deeper undercut when functional forces are applied and prevents the “pump handle” effect on the tooth.

I don't know abt the others .. but I didn't c any Qs regarding the preference!! did u study something like that in kaplan Qbanks? or ASDA?

Distal rest/ Mesial rest
I bar/ T bar
Ring bar

Thanks

I know I've been AWOL, been down with the flu - impeccable timing , I know :) . Exam in 10 days . Did kaplan tests to see where I'm at now - late 60- early 70% ( correct answers) . heart rate up considerably.

So much to do and so little time ! yes, I do want to do a quick revision . but I don't think I have the time to go through Decks AND Mosby.

Kaplan says my weakest subjects are Pt mgmt, perio, path, endo, pros -OS - in that order . So I probably will do Decks for OS, Perio, Pros . path,endo, pt mgmt - mosby .

I also have ASDA papers left ! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take some Anti Hypertensive :)

In mosby Qs ...

Metamerism invariably involves:
A. A color difference between 2 objects under one or more illuminant(s).
B. A significant color change of one object as it moves from one illuminant to another.

the answer is A ...

but I was thinking of B!!!

any explanation pls?

Thank you

In mosbys metamerism is not so clear, but when I read through others.

Metamerism is actually when two objects appear to color match under one lightsource but not another so its important to check the shade in 2 or more different light.

Thats why the answer is A

I also thought it is between one object color change, but we are wrong.

I found this about I bar and RPI, mesial and distal rest: hope it can help ..

1. The I-bar is more esthetic in most instances since it contacts the tooth minimally.
2. The RPI clasp is best used on caries prone patients. An advantage of an infrabulge clasp system (I-bar) is minimal tooth contact and minimal distortion of normal tooth contours. This leads to improved tissue stimulation and oral hygiene and decreased caries and periodontal problems.
3. The I-bar, proximal plate and mesial rest and minor connector provide adequate encirclement by engaging more than 180° of the tooth. Encirclement of an abutment prevents permanent tooth movement by contacting the tooth at a minimum of three points. The RPI clasp system accomplishes this on the mesial with the minor connector, which connects the rest to the major connector, on the distal with a guide plane and on the facial with the I-bar infrabulge clasp.
4. A mesial rest eliminates the potential “pump handle” effect that a force on the base would provide with a distal rest. On a distal extension RPD, a clasp in an undercut forward of the axis of rotation (which would occur with a distal rest) has the potential for torquing the abutment when functional forces are applied (a class I lever). When an I-bar clasp assembly with a mesial rest functions properly, the retentive tip moves downward and forward into a deeper undercut when functional forces are applied and prevents the “pump handle” effect on the tooth.

I don't know abt the others .. but I didn't c any Qs regarding the preference!! did u study something like that in kaplan Qbanks? or ASDA?

Hey thanks for trying but still I'm confused will put up some questions for you to try, coz I dont know if its there in ASDA or Kaplan, but let me try others who gave test already if such preference questions come in the real test. If not then why you and me take stress:). But knowing is always better.

Here is one question.

The WORST clasp assembly for a terminal abutment with tooth # 21 through 29 remaining on a mandibular class I RPD (such as #29 in the partially edentulous arch to the right) is
1)
spacer.gif
Mesial rest and I-bar

2)
spacer.gif
Distal rest and cast circumferential clasp

3)Mesial and distal rest and a 1/2 and 1/2 clasp
4)Mesial rest and modified T-bar

Your patient exhibits the partially edentulous arch from tooth #21 through 29 remaining. Tooth #29 is tilted mesially. The undercut is on the mesiofacial surface. What would be the best clasp assembly for this situation?

1) Distal rest and cast circumferential clasp.
2) Distal rest and WW circumferential clasp.
3) Mesial rest and I-bar.
4) Distal rest and I-bar.

So such questions we should be knowing if an undercut is on mesial or distal where do you prefer the rest when an I- bar/ T bar so not so clear.

Also in an mesial or distal undercut could you explain where the clasps arm should be facing, I mean where the origin and termination should be in each case?

Hope this not confusing.

Hi! guys,

I am starting my prepration for part2 today on.
Started with oral path today.
Happy studying the rest of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.