2012 Match: The Stats Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmakid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA = 3.75
Four year PharmD program
PharmD program in NC
-Held many officer position for various organizations. Member of PDC, PLS, Rho Chi, SSHP, ASHP, NCAP, and student senate. Several awards and school recognition.
Lots of community service associate with the school and with the community.
Very little work experience. Some during undergrad and a little during fourth year. Also, very little research experience. Obtained a little during fourth year.
Applied to 12 programs. All large programs at academic medical centers all across the country.
Invited to 3 interviews.
Matched at my #1 in the midwest.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA = 3.45; BA in Biochem
Four year PharmD program - first graduating class at a major health system
Officer in APhA, involved in multiple academic activities, participated in a pfizer drug discovery program
Intern at a major children's hospital, worked at CVS, research assistant (researched in undergrad and pharm school)
ASHP poster at Midyear; published research with pharmacology professor (2nd author)

Applied: 10 programs - major academic teaching hospitals with mix of peds & adult programs
Interviewed: 7
Matched: first choice at an academic teaching hospital on the east coast

How I stood out during the interviews: ASHP poster, published paper, working at a hospital, Pfizer drug program. I also had great rotations that allowed me to answer many of their situational questions easily ie: what was your most memorable intervention, tell us of a time you had a conflict with an attending or resident

GPA = 3.7
0-6 PharmD program on East Coast
-Officer positions in APhA and state pharmacy association. Member of Rho Chi and PLS. Heavily involved in pharmacy advocacy during P2 and P3 years.
Work experience of almost 4 years in retail, none in hospital. Some research experience (helped out with an MUE). Did a public health internship working with inner-city underserved populations.
Applied to 9 programs, got 4 interviews.
Matched at my #1 (VA, East Coast).

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA = 3.75
Four year PharmD program in TX

Memberships: Rho Chi, SSHP, ASHP,
Applied to 9 programs
Invited to 5 interviews
Matched: #2 - Pharmacotherapy - 2 year program (1 & 2 weighed equally to me so it didn't matter)

GPA = 3.75
4 year PharmD program in CA
Officer positions in class, pharmacy school government, fraternity. Member of various pharmacy orgs (wasn't too involved).
Pharmacy work experience: 1.5 years in hospital (worked a lot)
Coordinated group research project that led to a poster at ASHP Midyear. Some research experience during undergrad.
Many challenging acute care rotations.
Applied to 9 programs, got 7 interviews.
Matched at my #2 (Academic teaching hospital, West Coast).

3.4 GPA
0-6 yr pharmD program in midwest
ACCP officer, student govt, member of various pharmacy orgs (held no positions), non-pharm orgs members/officer positions
pharmacy work experience: 3 yrs inpatient pharm tech/internship, 3 yrs community pharmacy, and 2 summers in pharmacogenomic lab
rotations: half acute care/clinical rotations and others community or longterm care etc
what stood out: initiated MUE during 1st yr of pharmacy internship, facilitated a pharmacy camp for high school students
applied to a variety of teaching hospitals
14 applied: interviewed at 5 face-face :1 phone interview
matched to my #1- large teaching hospital in midwest
best advice: relax and show them who you are during your interview, don't try to bs too much cause that's when you get nervous, just be yourself :)

GPA = 3.3; BS in Biology from a top 10

Four year PharmD program in pennsylvania - first graduating class at a major health system

Minimal member of ASHP...so minimal my friends had to pay dues for me and fill out the form so I could go to midyear. Some involvement with school activities.

Intern (2yrs) at a tertiary teaching hospital, prior tech experience at CVS (2yrs, prior to rx school).

ASHP poster at Midyear.

Applied: 2 programs in California
Interviewed: 2
Matched: Technically #2, but it was a coin flip.

How I stood out during the interviews: ASHP poster was a huge topic of discussion at both interviews. Prior hospital intern experience provided me with lots to talk about as well in terms of logistics/problem solving. Quality of rotations were commented on at both (top 3 by revenue pharma firm, 2x ICU including Thomas Jefferson Univ. Hospital).

Of note: I have a history of strategic applications, my original applications to rx schools = 3 with 2 acceptance offers.

GPA = NONE LOL, Pass/Fail/Honors college (I passed)
Four year PharmD program
PharmD program in the Midwest

Not very active in pharmacy organizations. More active in on campus organizations. Have won several awards in school, out of school. Several leadership experiences. Military service of 13 years. Publications in national magazines. I am an non-traditional student with years of experience in various backgrounds.

Invited for 7 interviews
Attended 6
Matched at my #3

For those that read this and think you have to do everything possible at your school and be in every organization to show your active and committed to pharmacy, you don't. Always remember, its not who you know or what you have done, its how you present it! Keep the faith Sisters...

GPA 3.45
"Top 10" university
Officer a few times
Creator of numerous sustaining projects - fundraising, volunteer, community outreach
6 of 7 rotations inpatient
Well known people for LORs
ASHP poster with extensive research
Inpatient and outpatient intern throughout

Applied 5
Interviewed 4
Matched #2 choice at large academic level 1 trauma in west coast region

I think creativity, passion for pharmacy, inpatient experience, and not sucking in personality department were paramount... LORs were brought up a few times, but those occur d/t previous characteristics.

Also, if Its Z sees this, this was the one program I didn't send a thank you card to. Go figure.

GPA 3.6
0-6 program
Officer for APhA, member of ASHP, PLS, and Rho Chi (tons of community service)
3+ years of retail and hospital experience
Poster for ASHP Midyear

Applied to 11
Received 8 interviews, declined one
Matched with my number 2
(which was also a coin flip for me, could easily have been number 1)

The tips to schedule your least interested sites first is huge.

I only sent thank you emails, never cards haha

And honestly connections always help...if there is an alumni somewhere on the pharmacy staff, you will probably get an interview.

Posting this on my wife's behalf:

GPA 3.55
0-6 program
Member of APhA, ASHP, NCPA, and additional community service
International hospital pharmacy internship
1+ years of retail experience
Professional and student poster at ASHP Midyear

Applied to 1 (Restricted geographically..took a big risk)
Received 1 interview
Matched to the only program I applied to

I worked really hard on the LOI and additional questionnaire required by the program. I felt my interview went well.

user_offline.gif

Decided to post on here.. been quite a few years since I've been on... but I've been lurking considering I've applied to residency this year... here are my stats...

GPA 3.56
0-6 program
2 Years Student Council President
1 year Student Council Exec President
AMCP Vice-Pres
Membership/Treasurer chair ASHP student chapter
Rho Pi Phi Scribe chair
Member of Phi Lambda Sigma
2+ years of retail experience
AMCP/FMCP/Pfizer internship
Student poster at AMCP Annual meeting

Applied to 10 (Restricted geographically)
Received 5 interview
Matched to 3rd choice (1,2,3 honestly was a toss up)

Felt great on all my interviews... but competition was fierce like everyone said... be yourself.... prepare... know about the program... etc...

Last edited:
GPA = 4.0
Four year PharmD program
Officer in my class, Phi Delta Chi, SNPhA, Rho Chi, CPFI and additionally a member in PLS, APhA-ASP, ASHP
A ton of leadership in organizing events and volunteering, both clinical and nonclinical related (several commented on my achievements in various fundraisers and my experiences allowed me to answer most behavioral questions)
Volunteer at a clinic for a year and intern at an independent pharmacy for a year
Two research projects with faculty and a poster at APhA

Applied: 11
Interviewed: 11
Matched: #2 at a teaching hospital in the Midwest (if I had the option, top 3 were all first choices)

Tips: a good faculty mentor goes a long way, be yourself (don't be afraid to add humor during your interview), ask great questions, and schedule interviews for your preferred sites last.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been working as a retail pharmacist since 2008.

GPA 3.6 phamd/MBA
Graduated from 0 - 6 pharmacy school east coast but obtain bachelor of chemistry west coast university.
Organizations: various leadership roles in kappa psi, apha-asp, phi lambda sigma, and amcp
Worked retail in pharmacy school, no research, etc etc

Applied: 10
Interviewed: 4
Matched: va midwest :)

Advice: believe in yourself. I tossed the idea of applying for a residency ever since graduating and felt with all the changes happening in retail, the time was now or never. I reached out to my previous preceptors and past employeer who must have done an amazing job on writing my LOR. I took time on my LOI. I cannot emphasize the importance of preparing for the interview not only situational questions but staying current on your clinical, especially hard being out for so long. I have to thank a special someone who helped support me through out the process. I believe everything happens for a reason and If u did not match this year don't lose hope.

GPA: 3.5 from 0-6 program in Northeast
NO leadership involvement or much community service!
Work experience: 2.5 yrs hospital experience, few months retail, research internship at top teaching hospital, assistant preschool teacher 4 yrs
Research: 1 publication at time of application, 3 in progress during APPE year, professional poster at ASHP midyear
-Peer review experience for multiple journals

Applied to 11 programs, offered 8 interviews, accepted/ranked 5 interviews
Matched in large hospital network in Midwest
-I think was helped despite my apparent weaknesses was passion and enthusiasm during interviews and strong letters of recommendation all from APPE preceptors.

GPA: 3.8 (3 year PharmD program)
No leadership positions. Member of ASHP, APhA, Rho Chi.
Had a couple publications and a poster from undergrad but none during pharm school. Didn't go to Midyear.
Worked as an intern at a major retail chain.
Applied to four programs, interviewed at two, matched to a community hospital.

GPA: 3.5 (0-6 program in Midwest) 3.5 undergrad, 3.5 Pharmacy
Chapter Regent (President) of Kappa Psi, Province (Regional) Officer of Kappa Psi, Chairperson of KY National Committtee, Member of APhA, ASHP (No leadership positions in either).
Didn't publish, but worked on a Clinical Research project at a large well known University Hospital in Chicago for 6 months.
Intern at a major retail chain.

Applied:9
Interviewed:5
Accepted at large Midwest Hospital Ranked 3rd, but first two were kind of pipe-dreams that I was pumped to just get interviews with them.

Last edited:
GPA: 2.9 (I'm serious.) 2 + 4 program. P1 = ~2.1, P2 = ~2.3, P3 = 3.8, P4 so far = 3.8
No leadership positions. Member of ASHP, ACCP, and my state organization. I've attended my state organization conference for the past two years and ASHP midyear this year.
I'm in the process of getting a paper published in a minor peer-reviewed journal.
I've volunteered at diabetes fairs, pharmacy advocacy things, and in two free clinics.. including an inner-city one in a rather bad city.
No work experience whatsoever. I've never had a job in my life. I tried finding one last year but absolutely no one was hiring.

Applied: 8
Interviewed: 2
Matched at my first choice, a small hospital where I had an introductory experiential in my P3 year.

Everyone loves a redemption story. I messed up big early on in pharmacy school. I knew that I had dug myself into a deep hole so starting the summer before P3 I went into overdrive. I read DiPiro and Goodman & Gilman for fun. I worked on my ability to quote studies. I went to every single networking-type event and made a point to introduce myself to anyone and everyone. I volunteered at every single volunteer opportunity that my school provided.

I completely shut down my non-pharmacy social life. On days when I didn't have a volunteer thing or networking thing, I studied from the moment I got home until the moment I went to bed. I downloaded Anki, a flashcard maker, and made over 10,000 flashcards over the course of the year. Anki uses a timed method to show you flashcards so I reviewed everything the entire year through.

I went to CV-writing classes. I came up with a killer personal statement. I was honest, I admitted to screwing up and did my best to frame it as my humbling moment. The period in which I discovered that I wasn't God's gift to pharmacy, that I had to get my ass in line, and the period in which I absolutely fell in love with the profession.

I put my absolute 100% best in on my rotations, especially those taught by intimidating professors. Letters of rec will get you a long way, especially if they're written by someone known to be intimidating.

I had my introductory institutional experience at the hospital that I matched with. When things were slow, I'd ask the pharmacy manager whether she had any extra projects that I could work on. Not things for a grade, just things to help out the hospital and better patient outcomes. For my assignments, I wrote well researched papers that I think went well beyond what they were expecting. My preceptors actually learned things from them and saved them to use as examples for future students. I think that helped a lot, too.

flillia, congrats

I'm all about the underdogs! and congrats to all who matched!

GPA: 3.81 (0-6 program in Midwest)
Chapter Chaplain (service chair) in Kappa Psi, Rho Chi Chapter Vice President, ASHP Member
No work was published, but I worked for about 15 months in a lab investigating how a certain compound altered behavior and neuronal physiology in rats
Retail intern at a large regional chain for 2 years
Challenging rotations in critical care, oncology, and general inpatient work prior to applying
LORs from two well known clinicians in the Midwest
Eagle Scout

Applied:9
Interviewed:3 (first three were rejections which had me rushing for a plan B)
Matched to a medium sized, university affiliated medical center in the Midwest. It was my first choice.

Last edited:
GPA: 3.54
-Graduated PharmD from the University of Minnesota
-Memberships/Involvement: Phi Delta Chi (2 regional positions and one national position this 4th year), Phi Lambda Sigma, Minnesota Pharmacist Student Alliance (APhA), Minnesota Alumni Association, Class Representative (4 years)
- Worked as CVS intern and Large hospital in the cities as an intern
- Rotations were pretty standard...nothing out of ordinary
-LOR from preceptors throughout my rotations and one from Faculty member

Applied to 7 programs (Interviewed at all 7)

Matched at number 1 choice (Medium/large hospital in the cities)

I would be happy to provide any other information if you message me.

-Memberships/Involvement: Phi Delta Chi (2 regional positions and one national position this 4th year), Phi Lambda Sigma, Minnesota Pharmacist Student Alliance (APhA), Minnesota Alumni Association, Class Representative (4 years)

Congrats!!!! I'm so happy for you! I remember meeting you when you were a second year (or was it third?) Anyway, Best of luck to you :)

GPA = 3.4
B.S. Biochemistry
Transfered into 6 year PharmD program in the Northeast

Memberships: Rho Chi, ASHP, APhA with no true involvement in any
Other stuff: Significant community outreach responsibilities PY3/PY4; several years of basic science research experience; 3 months of clinical research experience; 1 year outpatient pharmacy experience; lab instructor for 4 years
Applied to 12 programs nationwide (all large academic tertiary hospitals)
Rejections from 3
Wait-listed from 1
Invited to 7 interviews (interviewed at all)

Matched: #1 - PGY1 Pharmacy practice

I am curious if anybody took a non-accredited residency slot?

I am curious if anybody took a non-accredited residency slot?

Yes, I did. I absolutely loved the program when I interviewed and accepted the offer prior to the match. It is a community pharmacy residency with an emphasis on 340b pharmacy service expansion and teaching. It is partnered with a college of pharmacy that has been in existence for many years (and has other accredited residency programs). They are currently going through the accreditation process as this is a new program.

Last edited:

You did not hold a national position in Phi Delta Chi this year. There were no Grand officers from Minnesota in the 2011-2012 cycle.

You did not hold a national position in Phi Delta Chi this year. There were no Grand officers from Minnesota in the 2011-2012 cycle.

LOL. I don't ever read those emails.

lol, he wrote grand with a capital G.

This is some srs stuff here, look out!

lol, he wrote grand with a capital G.

This is some srs stuff here, look out!

LOL! Grand is interchangeable with National, no big deal. Just wait until the PharmD is upgraded to a PharmK (King of Pharmacy). But seriously, something all of you need to realize is that almost none of you are anonymous. You guys know my name and I know a lot of people here on this forum as do others. If you think you can get away with exaggerating your credentials to a point of no return here then you are sadly mistaken.

That being said, National or "Grand" officers are not a secret and I know for a fact that the poster I originally quoted did not serve in a national position this year. Shame shame shame.

LOL! Grand is interchangeable with National, no big deal. Just wait until the PharmD is upgraded to a PharmK (King of Pharmacy). But seriously, something all of you need to realize is that almost none of you are anonymous. You guys know my name and I know a lot of people here on this forum as do others. If you think you can get away with exaggerating your credentials to a point of no return here then you are sadly mistaken.

That being said, National or "Grand" officers are not a secret and I know for a fact that the poster I originally quoted did not serve in a national position this year. Shame shame shame.

I thought he said he was graduated already. I know when I interviewed there, he was a third year I believe. I'm now second year so maybe he held it last year?

Were there Minnesotans last year?

I thought he said he was graduated already. I know when I interviewed there, he was a third year I believe. I'm now second year so maybe he held it last year?

Were there Minnesotans last year?

Nope. He claims to hail from the University of Minnesota which is the home of the Theta chapter and the only Theta representative in the last 4 years isn't a 2012 graduate...or a graduate in the 2000s for that matter.

Nope. He claims to hail from the University of Minnesota which is the home of the Theta chapter and the only Theta representative in the last 4 years isn't a 2012 graduate...or a graduate in the 2000s for that matter.

I don't understand why you're so hyped up over this. He's pretty awesome and is not the type of person that would lie just to make himself look better.

Yeah, Bowler is a pretty nice guy. Maybe it was some sort of "national" contact/liaison at the school. Who knows? Regardless, he got the residency. Congrats to him!

Ouch I feel like I was dragged through the mud for such a lame reason....but hey maybe that's what "brothers" do. That being said, I did not write that correctly. I had two chapter positions and a regional position. I wrote that at work in a little bit of a rush. I serve as the Midwest Regional Correspondent and am in charge of 9 chapters. I HOPED that helped clarify things in case it was important. Sorry if I ruined anyone's night ;).

Thanks for the positive comments Soccercoach and Rxlea. Hope Arizona is going well for you Rxlea!

Ouch I feel like I was dragged through the mud for such a lame reason....but hey maybe that's what "brothers" do. That being said, I did not write that correctly. I had two chapter positions and a regional position. I wrote that at work in a little bit of a rush. I serve as the Midwest Regional Correspondent and am in charge of 9 chapters. I HOPED that helped clarify things in case it was important. Sorry if I ruined anyone's night ;).

Thanks for the positive comments Soccercoach and Rxlea. Hope Arizona is going well for you Rxlea!

It wasn't a lame reason at all. The reason I was all over you was because nearly 90% of us aren't anonymous so if you say something that's false that contradicts something MY CV says or someone else's CV then we could be running into problems. Just be careful next time.

A little late to the party but...

GPA: 3.5
2+4 Pharm.D. from Midwest.
Organizations: Kappa Psi, APhA-ASP, SSHP
Leadership: Pledge Master for KY, Division member for state ASHP chapter, Admissions committee, Curriculum committee.
Work Experience: 7+ years at LTC pharmacy (started in high school), 2.5 years at VA hospital.
Extracurricular - volunteered at Med student/Pharm student clinic for homeless, various other charitable activities.
Research: One large retrospective study at academic teaching hospital, numerous other MUE/DUR's
Applications/Match: Applied to 8, interviewed at 6 (GPA didn't qualify for other two), got #1 at large teaching hospital system in midwest.

Reason I stood out: everyone seemed interested in my research, but they mostly were impressed with my rotations. I strongly encourage students to try to get difficult and varying APPE rotations if your school can accommodate (I was lucky enough to go to a school in a large city with 6+ hospitals within the city limits). I had 3 different ICU rotations, Cardiology, ID/Antimicrobial Stewardship, and 9/11 rotations were at hospitals. I had two pharmacy "rock stars" write letters for me that were both great mentors during my 4 years in school.

Kind of off topic but I would also recommend that PY3's go to midyear just to see the craziness before it counts. I did and I was really glad to learn from my mistakes.

Hope this helps any PY1-3's out there.

Last edited:
It wasn't a lame reason at all. The reason I was all over you was because nearly 90% of us aren't anonymous so if you say something that's false that contradicts something MY CV says or someone else's CV then we could be running into problems. Just be careful next time.

Yeah, when I read all the drama here earlier this week, I kinda thought you were coming down a little hard on him, but I guess I could see your concern. I bet it was an honest mistake though because it's impossible to stay anonymous...a reason I never bothered from the start, keeps me honest! :)

Someone make popcorn!

:laugh:

I'm also late to the party but here are my stats:

GPA: 3.3
Education: B.A. Biology and 4-year PharmD at University of Colorado
Organizations: ASHP, CSSHP, APhA-ASP, ACCP, CPS (state org.), Phi Lambda Sigma
Leadership: Various leadership positions within CSSHP & APhA-ASP. Involvement with SOP, student org., state-specific advocacy, and community service events.
Work experience: Volunteered at outpatient and inpatient pharmacies, worked as a tech in an inpatient pharmacy, and intern experience at a large managed care org.
Match process:
- Applications: 16
- Interview invites: 13
- Interviewed at: 9
Matched at my 2nd choice program on the west coast but I'm incredibly thankful and glad that the match panned out this way! :)

Last edited:
hey all not sure how many people will see this or are still even looking at this thread but i was wondering if anyone had matched with a PGY1/2 in health system pharmacy administration (w/ or w/out degree *M.S.*) or knows of anyone that matched in that specialty.....i know that its a very small group of people and the chances that they see this are rare but im interested in this specialty and would like to know some of the stats for those that got in.....thank you all and congrats to those that matched!!

Just found out my password to this site. Ha.

GPA: 3.999999999999
0-6 PharmD program
Organizations:Rho Chi, PLS, APhA-ASP, SnPhA
Leadership: Rho Chi President, Numerous chair positions
Work Experience: 1 year retail, 1 year research
Research: 1 year of pharmaceutical research
Applications/Match: Applied to 6, interviewed at 6 , got #2 at large teaching hospital system on the east coast

Reason I stood out: Personality. Leadership positions. Thoroughness of CV (I read through my CV over 70 times to make sure it was perfect).

My advice about midyear: Only go if you plan to apply to programs out of state or if you plan to apply to places where you didn't have rotations.

GPA 3.49; BS Biochemistry
Leadership: Multiple leadership positions in local professional organizations as well as a national ASHP student position
Work experience: 5 years retail + 3 years hospital (all during school - perfect example of time management)

Applied to 10 programs, interviewed at 3 and matched at my #1 (large teaching hospital on East Coast)

What I think I stood out for: unique opportunities I had because of my leadership positions (medical mission trip to 3rd world country), completing a DUE during pharmacy school, personality, and overall just being able to talk about EVERYTHING on my CV in great detail.

My advice: You don't need a 4.0 and crazy research experience to land the residency you want - just know for a fact a residency is what you want and be able to talk about why.

Hmm, looks like people have pretty high GPAs

Why is the 2011 thread stickied but not the 2012?