2012 NHSC Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjpaylor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just seeing if anyone has heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine still says "Under Verification Review."

Same?

I don't expect we will hear anything until September 30th, as notated on the website. However, if anyone receives anything, positive or negative, before then, please let us know. Would be an amazing scholarship to receive, I wonder how many applied and how many spots are available for dental students this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does everyone have "Under Verification Review" as their application status on the website? This is the status that I have. I was wondering if some people had their statuses changed even though they haven't received an email yet.

Mine says Under Review too, but reading some of the past posts on the NHSC Scholarship have not given me much hope to get the scholarship. Seems there are far fewer spots for dental than I previously thought, but we will wait and see!

mine says under review too

do they even tell you if you dont get it?

Hello all,
I received the scholarship last year as a dental student and I hope to clear a few things up... My status never changed from "under review"-- not even after I received the award email. In mid-late August I received a notification that I was a finalist-- they made me submit a form stating that i'd accept the scholarship if offered, and i consented to a credit check... then on 9/23 I got my award letter. If you don't receive a finalist letter, you won't likely get the scholarship... And all people that got the finalist email that I know got the scholarship. Also, don't worry about the number of scholarships they offer... 3 people in my class alone received it! Good luck!

I received the finalist email as of this morning. Good luck to everyone.

I received the finalist email as of this morning. Good luck to everyone.

Congratulations! Unfortunately I did not receive an email. That's probably a bad sign for me. However, I am happy for all of the finalists.

Hello all,
I received the scholarship last year as a dental student and I hope to clear a few things up... My status never changed from "under review"-- not even after I received the award email. In mid-late August I received a notification that I was a finalist-- they made me submit a form stating that i'd accept the scholarship if offered, and i consented to a credit check... then on 9/23 I got my award letter. If you don't receive a finalist letter, you won't likely get the scholarship... And all people that got the finalist email that I know got the scholarship. Also, don't worry about the number of scholarships they offer... 3 people in my class alone received it! Good luck!

I got the finalist letter today, but I'm traveling so I have had lots of time to think about consenting to accept the scholarship if they offer it to me. It would be an amazing opportunity to have school paid for, but would I be substantially limiting my options after my payback time by taking the scholarship?

I got the finalist letter today, but I'm traveling so I have had lots of time to think about consenting to accept the scholarship if they offer it to me. It would be an amazing opportunity to have school paid for, but would I be substantially limiting my options after my payback time by taking the scholarship?

Worst case scenario is that you decide you have another specialty passion aside from gen dentistry or peds... If so, you're still obligated to the nhsc for your contract (but you can specialize after that). I can't tell you how many of my classmates wish, in retrospect, that they had done the NHSC or the military route... I just talked to a dentist this past weekend that graduated with 280k I'm debt and is paying 3500k a month in student loans and having to work 6 days a week just to stay right side up on his loans... And he'll have to do that for 9 more years to pay off his loans... Yuck!

did all the offers go out fri

I hope not, but there's a very good chance that all offers have been sent. Those high on the wait list may still receive offers if some people decline. The chances of being high on the wait list are slim however. Has anyone's application status changed on the portal? Mine hasn't changed since I submitted my application. I also never received any emails, not even a confirmation email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status changed to "Award Accepted" after I finalized my info. The app kept saying though in lots of places how I was not guaranteed a scholarship though. Will still have to wait and see:xf:

I received a call from them today making sure I had received the email. I said, "Yes ma'am, I'm getting the signature now." She said, "So you're accepting the award then?" I said, "Yes ma'am."

Be a shame to go through that conversation and get nixed...

Last edited:
Be a shame to go through that conversation and get nixed...[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, I got that call too and feel the same way that it seems like a for sure thing. You never know though.

Were those selected as finalists signed up for four years with the program?? Did anyone do less than that?

Wow, lots of dental students applying this year. :). I moderate the PHS/NHSC forum on SDN, and got a 2 year scholarship. I start my service payback on Monday. :D. Feel free to PM me with questions.

I received a call from them today making sure I had received the email. I said, "Yes ma'am, I'm getting the signature now." She said, "So you're accepting the award then?" I said, "Yes ma'am."

Be a shame to go through that conversation and get nixed...

I could never understand this. They make you sign a bunch of things, but caution you that it "doesn't mean you got the scholarship." So....what DOES it mean??

Congratulations! Unfortunately I did not receive an email. That's probably a bad sign for me. However, I am happy for all of the finalists.

If you're interested in the scholarship, keep trying for it. I got it on my second attempt.

Logged into the portal now states I'm a participant... has award letter and everything... I guess they finished much faster this year

For some reason I can't log in to the portal anymore. Says I don't have authorization. Hope that's not a bad sign considering I'm a finalist.

Still says "Accepted Award." Anyone else have a status change??

my status never changed in the portal, even today right before I received the congratulatory/welcome letter from them

So what's our next step now after we've been awarded? Is there a form we use to submit our invoice to NHSC or just have the fin. aid office send in an tution/fees invoice?

There's a PDF you're supposed to give your financial aid office in the downloadable content. I figured I'd just wait till this webinar thing to get all the questions answered

To all who received the scholarship and to all who are applying or plan to apply, please write your Congressmen/women and Representatives and implore them to extend Section 117(c)(2) of the tax code to keep the NHSC scholarship income tax exempt. If that section is not extended, then many students who received the scholarship will have to take out loans just to pay the tax on it. Absolutely absurd.

For you guys who received the scholarship, I'm interested in applying this coming cycle. Were all of you who received it considered "financially disadvantaged" if you don't mind me asking? And what do you guys think made your application stand out? I really want to do all I can to get this scholarship this year. Any help is greatly appreciated!

For you guys who received the scholarship, I'm interested in applying this coming cycle. Were all of you who received it considered "financially disadvantaged" if you don't mind me asking? And what do you guys think made your application stand out? I really want to do all I can to get this scholarship this year. Any help is greatly appreciated!

No, I'm male, middle class and white.

Also, there's no way to really say what makes your application stand out. If you're sincerely interested in helping the underserved, then that should show through your application essays. Otherwise, LORs and CV are really all they have to go off of.

Yeah, I figured the same thing. What did you do to help the underserved that you think stood out the best?

Do you need substantial volunteer experience in helping the underserved in order to get this scholarship? Does anyone know about how many people apply per year and how many actually receive it?

Do you need substantial volunteer experience in helping the underserved in order to get this scholarship? Does anyone know about how many people apply per year and how many actually receive it?

The volunteer experience is the same question I have been asking. I know that they only give out 50 to dental students. Here is the link to the website http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/ or just google NHSC!

Is it possible to get the scholarship for the last three years of dental school? I'm a D1 right now and have not yet applied. Thanks!!

For those who have received the scholarship, are you more likely to receive the scholarship if you are URM or financially disadvantaged? Do these criteria almost guarantee the scholarship?