2012 Official Decision Thread (Class of...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThirdTimeCharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As April 15 draws nearer, some of us are making our decisions about what program we will attend this fall. I am still waiting on some programs, but for those of you who know where you are going, please share. This way we can all get to know our future cohort.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeshiva University -- Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology
Clinical Psych PhD (with a Health Emphasis)
Class of 2017 (I gagged a little writing that haha)

Ball State University
Ph.D. School Psychology

This was my first choice school due to the awesome professors and the specialization program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
George Mason University - Clinical psychology PhD

This was my first choice and I am thrilled! Not only do I get to go to a great program but I don't have to apply to PhD programs ever again!

That's the BEST part! Never having to apply again! I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Small, but I can definitely see it. :D

George Mason University - Clinical psychology PhD

This was my first choice and I am thrilled! Not only do I get to go to a great program but I don't have to apply to PhD programs ever again!

University of North Dakota
Clinical Psychology PhD

University of Florida - Counseling Psychology Ph.D.

Class of 2017-18? WHAT? :eek: Still thrilled. PM me if you'll be a Gator starting this fall!

Also, I totally second the whole not applying again thing. SO NICE TO BE DONE! :soexcited:

The best part for me last year was knowing I never had to take the GREs again :D

University of Indianapolis PsyD Clinical Psych.

I'd love to hear if you are too :).

Teachers College, Columbia University - Clinical PhD

So thrilled!

Congrats to all, we've made it through this crazy process!

(And how nice to know so early...!)

Widener University - PsyD class of 2017

Yeshiva University -- Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology
Clinical Psych PhD (with a Health Emphasis)
Class of 2017 (I gagged a little writing that haha)

Me too! Are you currently living in New York?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure on Ferkauf and their clinical psych phd health emphasis internship match rates. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

University of Memphis Clinical Psychology PhD. Amazing mentor, great health program, can't wait to meet my future cohort!

I am not sure on Ferkauf and their clinical psych phd health emphasis internship match rates. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Just to provide the data, here are their APA match rates from 2001 to 2010:

50% 27% 22% N/A 33% 30% 57% 73% 20%

Combined, the APA match rate for that period is 42%

OSU, clinical PhD. very excited!

Just to provide the data, here are their APA match rates from 2001 to 2010:

50% 27% 22% N/A 33% 30% 57% 73% 20%

Combined, the APA match rate for that period is 42%

Great info! Where have you found APA match rates? I have only found APPIC match rates... Thanks!

Great info! Where have you found APA match rates? I have only found APPIC match rates... Thanks!

It was on the program's website. It's actually required by the APA that programs report this information, so when in doubt, try going directly to their site to find it.

Ouch. Really? 42% at Ferkauf? I really don't know what to do. How would I know if I am in the 42%?

UNC Chapel Hill Clinical Psychology Ph.D. class of 2017ish!

Ouch. Really? 42% at Ferkauf? I really don't know what to do. How would I know if I am in the 42%?

Be proactive, hit the ground running, and do everything in your power to ensure that you're an attractive and competitive internship applicant.

Back to the original topic, congrats to all those who've accepted offers thus far. Be sure to allow yourselves to enjoy the time left between now and when you start your programs.

Virginia Tech University =)

Top choice and excited as can be!

Concordia University, Clinical Psychology Ph.D, class of 2018? (ish)

Top choice. Very excited.

Just to clarify, are you talking about Yeshiva's match rates over that span or national averages? The number for Yeshiva's PhD health emphasis are:

80%, 100%, 86%, 86%, 67%, NA, 100%, 100%, 100%

http://www.yu.edu/uploadedFiles/Aca...out/Graduation_and_Internship_Information.pdf

That is the the number that received internships at Yeshiva, yes. But the number that received APA accredited internships (the internships that truly matter) are as follows:

20%, 73%, 57%, 30%, 33%, N/A, 22%, 27%, 50%.

Clearly a much bleaker picture. Something to think about.

University of Wyoming
Clinical Psychology, Ph.D.
Class of 2017 (I HOPE!)

One of my top choices and am looking forward to starting a new journey in my life! :D

For those of you who have decided what were some of the factors that pushed your choice over? I'm currently deciding between two programs that both seem good to me on a number of levels (research interest, advisor match, people in the program seem good). I know it's a good position to be in but I'm struggling a bit and I'm just curious how others arrived at a final decision.

For those of you who have decided what were some of the factors that pushed your choice over? I'm currently deciding between two programs that both seem good to me on a number of levels (research interest, advisor match, people in the program seem good). I know it's a good position to be in but I'm struggling a bit and I'm just curious how others arrived at a final decision.

After each of my interviews I wrote out a pros and cons list for each school. I wrote down absolutely everything I could remember, good and bad, about the program. This has been really helpful when I'm trying to make a decision.

So your schools are pretty even on some important aspects. What about funding, match rates, clinical training, mentor styles, opportunities to publish/present, TA opportunities, externships? Where have your mentors placed previous students? What about other perks? Location, general feel of department, are your colleagues friendly, collaborative, competitive, things to do in the community, cost of living, dog friendly housing. Can you see yourself living there for five years? If you're bringing a partner - what would they be doing while you're in school?

These are all things I put in my pros and cons list.

That is the the number that received internships at Yeshiva, yes. But the number that received APA accredited internships (the internships that truly matter) are as follows:

20%, 73%, 57%, 30%, 33%, N/A, 22%, 27%, 50%.

Clearly a much bleaker picture. Something to think about.

You beat me to it, thank ya.

Yes, the numbers I provided in my post (in the reverse order of perhaps11) were specifically for APA accredited internships, with those rates being significantly lower than for matching overall.

After each of my interviews I wrote out a pros and cons list for each school. I wrote down absolutely everything I could remember, good and bad, about the program. This has been really helpful when I'm trying to make a decision.

So your schools are pretty even on some important aspects. What about funding, match rates, clinical training, mentor styles, opportunities to publish/present, TA opportunities, externships? Where have your mentors placed previous students? What about other perks? Location, general feel of department, are your colleagues friendly, collaborative, competitive, things to do in the community, cost of living, dog friendly housing. Can you see yourself living there for five years? If you're bringing a partner - what would they be doing while you're in school?

These are all things I put in my pros and cons list.

Agreed with all of the above. Also look into each program's attrition rates; higher numbers of students leaving the program could be indicative of a systemic problem.

University of Tennessee-Knoxville
Clinical Psychology, Ph.D.

Top Choice and very excited!!! Go Vols!!!!!!

I know one thing I Iooked at was the 3rd and 4th year students. I interviewed at two schools that in many ways seemed equal. However, at one school the students were struggling to complete things asked of them and were simply not as professional as the other school. At the second school the students were friendly, honest about the program, but still very respectful and professional. The second school also had better financial aid. The first school was very in to one theoretical model while the second was a bit more well rounded.

Drexel University JD/PhD Clinical Psychology-- PM me if you're going to Drexel as well!

University of Nebraska - Lincoln Clinical Psych PhD

University of Southern Mississippi - Counseling Psych PhD

Very Excited!!! Class of 2017? Jeez. :p

Is anyone else getting pressured by one or more of their POIs/schools to make a decision ASAP? I am feeling this way and it is really stressing me out. What does one do in this situation?

Is anyone else getting pressured by one or more of their POIs/schools to make a decision ASAP? I am feeling this way and it is really stressing me out. What does one do in this situation?

YES! I am definitely feeling this! I was told by my POI "everyone else that applied already gave an answer". I feel like that's a pretty big exaggeration but I feel SO pressured! It's a huge deal and a HUGE move for me to accept there, so I want to take my time. Not til April 15th, but still...

YES! I am definitely feeling this! I was told by my POI "everyone else that applied already gave an answer". I feel like that's a pretty big exaggeration but I feel SO pressured! It's a huge deal and a HUGE move for me to accept there, so I want to take my time. Not til April 15th, but still...

Yeah! One of my POIs expressed their concern of losing an alternate if I take too long and do not accept the offer! Yikes...

congratulations to everyone who has posted on this thread!

I am currently on a wait list and I am wondering if anyone has accepted or declined an offer from UC Santa Barbara's Clinical PhD program? I haven't really seen anything about it on here or the grad cafe so I'm just curious if any decisions have been made. Thanks!

University of Southern Mississippi - Counseling Psych PhD

Very Excited!!! Class of 2017? Jeez. :p

My mentor from my master's program attended there for his doctoral training. I thought very highly of him all-around--and he had nothing but good things to say about his program (granted, he graduated from there quite some time ago :smuggrin:). He almost had me convinced to apply there.

Yeah! One of my POIs expressed their concern of losing an alternate if I take too long and do not accept the offer! Yikes...

:thumbdown:

I am feeling some pressure as well, though no one has prodded that explicitly.

I've heard from who I wanted to, and now my decisions need some making. To prepare, I brought home a bottle of Borsao Garnacha, a bigass burrito, and a choco taco. I will slowly consume these to my face while playing a mind-numbing marathon of counterstrike with adolescent boys (who will undoubtedly call me fat and ugly for pwning them) till about 3:30am, at which point my law school roommate will predictably drag me out to a seedy bar to catch last call.

Only then will I be ready. Commencing now...

Jeeze. I suppose that I can understand the faculty's antsiness, but the pressure (whether quite explicit or not) seems ridiculous at this point. Give a guy/gal some time to breathe for goodness sake!

I absolutely knew where I was going after I received my emailed acceptance (as could be determined by the ecstatic happy dance around the room), yet I was forced to delay my response at that very moment because I had to go teach and then take classes and then work and then pick up the kid and then . . . so on and so forth. I had things to do, and they needed to be done now. I wanted to make sure that I took adequate time to send a "proper" acceptance rather than a last-minute email written in a few seconds: "Oh, wow! Thank you soooooo much! <insert smiley face> I'm psyched to attend your program. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" (And that would've taken too long at that juncture! :p) I received two additional emails within the same day asking if I had made my decision yet, if there was any additional information I required to make my decision, so on & so forth. I think I got the point the first time!

Sometimes applicants need time to process. Let them process, damnit! :cool:

I've always wondered what a choco taco tasted like... :confused: I was sort of tempted once, but finally managed to reel myself in and eat a regular ole' taco.