2012 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat as me, sitting on a waitlist or two, and anxiously refreshing your email every few minutes. I am curious, if anyone out there has been through this before, does this process usually really go right up until April 15th when there is this massive shuffle? Or do people actually hear from waitlists in March and early April? It seems to me like the vast majority of schools have made their offers at this point and things should start domino-ing into place but it also seems like a very real possibility that nothing will happen until mid-April and we will have a groundhog's day -esque four more weeks of waiting... Just wondering if people have a general sense of how likely it is for us to hear any time soon.

Thanks a bunch!

5 years ago I was waitlisted at two schools. On March 31st I received an offer off the waitlist to one of the schools and subsequently removed myself from the other waitlist. That's going to vary from program to program, but for me March 31st was the magic date.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just depends on the school--I think it really is a crapshoot. Last year I was first alternate on four waitlists. At one school I found out that the other person accepted the offer a week after I was told I was on the waitlist. At two schools I found out in late March that the offer had been accepted by the person that received the initial offer. The last school I heard from was on April 14th, and that was an e-mail from the POI saying that the person they extended the initial offer to had accepted that afternoon (I'm guessing that person was also waiting to hear from another school too).

Now I sit here this year on another waitlist, hoping against hoping I'll actually get in this time. It stinks when your fate literally rests in someone else's hands. I'm sure for others their experiences being on a waitlist will be more positive than mine have been, but at this point (for me), I feel like waitlist = rejection.

Good luck to you though, and I sincerely hope your waitlist status turns into an acceptance :):xf:

Good luck to you too! :)

When I do this (I plan on doing so today), should I contact the DCT directly? The letter waitlisting me had his signature on it and I also sent him an e-mail afterwards letting him know I was still interested.
I think you should contact everyone possible DCT for sure and emailing the POI at this point cannot hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
The DCT of the program I am wait listed at emailed me asking if I have accepted another offer or if I am still available. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it common for programs to do this?

The DCT of the program I am wait listed at emailed me asking if I have accepted another offer or if I am still available. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it common for programs to do this?

This doesn't seem that odd. It's likely that not everyone who is wait-listed is considerate enough to let the school know when they have accepted another offer. At the very least, it is unwise for them to assume you haven't accepted another offer. They aren't asking if you have another offer, they are asking if you accepted probably because if you have, they will extend their offer to the next person on the waiting-list.

I know I got two people off a wait list last week when I turned down 2 offers :) Remember that for every person who posts in the decision thread, they are most likely turning down another offer. So there is hope to hear before April 15th. I think it also depends on the program. Some programs usually get all their top choices while others may take 2 off the wait list. I think it is good to evaluate the chances at each school separately. Remember that as people start taking offers they start opening spots. Don't give up!

Hi...I'm new to this forum and I applied for the first time. My POI (at LSU; PhD Clinical Psy) interviewed me on 02/14 and informed me that I'm first on wait list on 02/17. When I expressed my continued interest, I was informed that there are two openings and POI "senses" that the other two individuals who have been offered admission want to stay near their home and have interviews and thus may decline the offer. I last herd from him on 02/25.
Now, should I hope that I have chances of getting in? Will it actually take till mid April before I get a definitive answer? Should I keep waiting to hear from my professor or should I may mail him again....I don't want to come across as desperate but I want him to remember that I'm keen and interested.....
Any suggestions?

Hi...I'm new to this forum and I applied for the first time. My POI (at LSU; PhD Clinical Psy) interviewed me on 02/14 and informed me that I'm first on wait list on 02/17. When I expressed my continued interest, I was informed that there are two openings and POI "senses" that the other two individuals who have been offered admission want to stay near their home and have interviews and thus may decline the offer. I last herd from him on 02/25.
Now, should I hope that I have chances of getting in? Will it actually take till mid April before I get a definitive answer? Should I keep waiting to hear from my professor or should I may mail him again....I don't want to come across as desperate but I want him to remember that I'm keen and interested.....
Any suggestions?

Interview does not equal acceptance at the other programs by those holding these offers, so they might still only be holding onto the offer from LSU. You know you are an alternate, and there is nothing you can do to change that beyond bribing whoever is holding the offer to decline it (I would recommend against doing this). If you want to write and confirm that they are still waiting to hear an official yes/no from the applicants that is your call, but there's still over a month until the April 15th cutoff date so plenty can happen before that time. Unless you've been given an offer from another program that you are seriously considering accepting, I would just be patient.

Interview does not equal acceptance at the other programs by those holding these offers, so they might still only be holding onto the offer from LSU. You know you are an alternate, and there is nothing you can do to change that beyond bribing whoever is holding the offer to decline it (I would recommend against doing this). If you want to write and confirm that they are still waiting to hear an official yes/no from the applicants that is your call, but there's still over a month until the April 15th cutoff date so plenty can happen before that time. Unless you've been given an offer from another program that you are seriously considering accepting, I would just be patient.
Hi....thanks for hearing me! I guess I would just be patient. I'm definitely not considering bribing others or something....just that I'm truly interested in this particular program and my major concern is it has been a while since I interacted with my POI...I was wondering if I should continue to wait passively or try interact with him in a way that doesn't come across as desperate......and reflects my interest....
Any suggestions?

Hi....thanks for hearing me! I guess I would just be patient. I'm definitely not considering bribing others or something....just that I'm truly interested in this particular program and my major concern is it has been a while since I interacted with my POI...I was wondering if I should continue to wait passively or try interact with him in a way that doesn't come across as desperate......and reflects my interest....
Any suggestions?

You're more than likely going to just be patient here but I don't think there is any problem with a short e-mail that asks whether there has been any change and reaffirm your interest in the program/lab. If you have other acceptance offers, you may want to let your POI know that you have one but you feel his lab would be a better fit. I don't think it comes off as desperate to show further interest... as long as you stay away from begging :D.

You're more than likely going to just be patient here but I don't think there is any problem with a short e-mail that asks whether there has been any change and reaffirm your interest in the program/lab. If you have other acceptance offers, you may want to let your POI know that you have one but you feel his lab would be a better fit. I don't think it comes off as desperate to show further interest... as long as you stay away from begging :D.
Sure! no begging :p just a humble inquiry. Thanks :)

I got an email for the DCT yesterday that I am an alternate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I also just found out I have been on the waitlist at Duke (PhD clinical) for over a month after I inquired about my status. I just wish there was a little more communication sometimes... :( Good luck to everyone else in similar boats, we have to try to not give up yet!

I had a friend that was waitlisted at a Clinical PhD program that was his top choice. On April 15th he was called by the DCT because someone else had rejected their offer the night before. There's no rhyme or reason as to why things happen, but just wanted to let everyone know that they shouldn't give up hope. You never know what might happen :luck:

M

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted at Utah State University for their Combined PhD program. I received an e-mail yesterday from the POI informing me of my status. Guess we'll see... :-/

Notified on 3/8 via phone call from DCT that I am first alternate at Wichita State University's Clinical Psy PhD program. Fingers crossed!

Waitlisted at University of Florida, Clinical and Health Psychology via USPS.
Received letter identifying me as "high alternate" and informing me that an offer may be incoming if other students decline admission. Letter was dated 3/1/12.

Waitlisted (but likely to be rejected) at UVa Curry by email.

I finally broke down and emailed my POI at University of Virginia Clinical & School Psychology today. Very kind, quick response telling me that initial offers have gone out. Most have been accepted, but a few are still open and they're not sure how they will go. But, he did think it "unlikely" they would make it to giving me an offer.

* le sigh * :(

waitlisted at university of florida, clinical and health psychology via usps.
Received letter identifying me as "high alternate" and informing me that an offer may be incoming if other students decline admission. Letter was dated 3/1/12.

d?

Last edited:
Waitlisted at University of Florida, Clinical and Health Psychology via USPS.

I got this too!! And yes I interviewed

Received a phone call/voicemail from my POI informing me that I should have received a letter in the mail by now (assuming similar to the above posters, which I have not) and that I was a high alternate.

Interviewed for the neuropsych track.

Received a phone call/voicemail from my POI informing me that I should have received a letter in the mail by now (assuming similar to the above posters, which I have not) and that I was a high alternate.

Interviewed for the neuropsych track.

Isn't it kind of crazy there are so many of us getting letters that say high alternate.. I wonder how many are on the list and how likely it will be for us to get in!

Isn't it kind of crazy there are so many of us getting letters that say high alternate.. I wonder how many are on the list and how likely it will be for us to get in!

I agree. I wonder if there is an issue with funding this year. This is my dream program and it sucks to be so close to an admission offer, yet so far away! I do have another offer to a great program in a different field, but I'm still holding out for Florida!!

I'm about to turn down my offer from Rutgers' PsyD program-- I hope this helps someone get in from the waitlist! :)

Just turned down my offer for University of Memphis Counseling Psychology PhD. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Last week I turned down my offer at the University of Minnesota's Counseling PhD program, such a great program, so it was tough to let go!

It's really helpful to get updates on who is declining offers who we can get a better idea of our chances of getting off the waitlist. Thanks!

Has anyone received any updates on Yeshiva's (Clinical PhD -Health Emphasis) wait-list? Anyone turn down any offers here? Just trying to gauge my chances - less than a month left!

The number of high alernates is isane. What is more bizzare is that I also received this letter from Florida thanking me for interviewing and informing me that I'm a high alternate. I didn't even interview with them. Sorry to break this to you guys, but I think this generic letter may be just a polite rejection...

The number of high alernates is isane. What is more bizzare is that I also received this letter from Florida thanking me for interviewing and informing me that I'm a high alternate. I didn't even interview with them. Sorry to break this to you guys, but I think this generic letter may be just a polite rejection...

Probably.

Last edited:
Just stumbled upon an e-mail from DePaul. Wait-listed for their clinical-community program without an interview. Thinking they wait-listed me because I said I wouldn't accept without funding on the app! oops.

has anyone heard from liu brooklyn or cuny? i know that a couple people posted about these a while ago, but there's been silence ever since...

ho-hum.. I wonder if there will be any movement this week.. yearning for a good night of sleep...

Yeah, probably right. Just wish they'd not give us false hope and say you're rejected lol. Instead of saying to wait until April 15th.

Yeah, probably right. Just wish they'd not give us false hope and say you're rejected lol. Instead of saying to wait until April 15th.
If it makes you feel any better a lot of us are going through this at other programs too. I am on a wait list in which 13 people competed for two spots and all interviewees are on the wait list. It is crazy what they can do to you for these spots :)

Hi everyone,

I just got in off the waitlist at my first choice program, and I couldn't be happier! I'm not one for cliches, but good things come to those who wait. This process has been stressful but it worked out for the best for me--hang in there, everyone!

Hi everyone,

I just got in off the waitlist at my first choice program, and I couldn't be happier! I'm not one for cliches, but good things come to those who wait. This process has been stressful but it worked out for the best for me--hang in there, everyone!

Congrats! Just wanted to say this happened to me too but for a school psych program. Movement does occur, keep toughing it out!

yay!!! I hope this happens for all of us!! :)

Hi everyone,

So what are all you wait-listers doing in the meantime?

I'm trying to figure out if I should start applying for jobs or not... I'm on 4 wait-lists, so I think there is a chance I will get off. But if I don't...?

It's kind of an awkward position to be in. I want to apply for jobs, but I don't because it would be horrible to have to turn it down.

Meh.

I'm trying to figure out if I should start applying for jobs or not... I'm on 4 wait-lists, so I think there is a chance I will get off. But if I don't...?

It's kind of an awkward position to be in. I want to apply for jobs, but I don't because it would be horrible to have to turn it down.

Meh.

What harm do you have in applying for jobs? Having a good backup plan like that is a very reasonable action. With how slow it usually takes for jobs to be filled (paperwork, interviews, etc) I'd say start as soon as possible with job hunting. Plus, now is a good time as the PIs at my center are going to be looking soon to replace RAs within the next few months.

Anyway, best of luck with the waitlists.

Meh.

I agree with the poster above me. Applying to jobs now is not a bad idea. A few years ago when I wasn't accepted into any PhD programs, I applied to probably 50 jobs, interviewed at 5, and was only offered a spot at 1.

I have an offer at one program and am waitlisted at the other. My POI at the waitlisted university has kept in contact with me and let me know that she's waiting on a particular student to make a decision (i.e., decline) so that she can make me an offer.

So in the meantime, I'm hoping and praying that this student makes a decision, either way, so that I can make my decision and get on with my life. I will most definitely take the offer at the waitlisted university if I receive it, but am also more than happy/content with the other offer I have in an area outside of psychology.

I was waitlisted at Widener, for Clinical Psych PsyD. Probably going to asked to removed this week.

thanks for your advice, you two!

I applied for two RA jobs today... yahoo....

I agree with the poster above me. Applying to jobs now is not a bad idea. A few years ago when I wasn't accepted into any PhD programs, I applied to probably 50 jobs, interviewed at 5, and was only offered a spot at 1.

I have an offer at one program and am waitlisted at the other. My POI at the waitlisted university has kept in contact with me and let me know that she's waiting on a particular student to make a decision (i.e., decline) so that she can make me an offer.

So in the meantime, I'm hoping and praying that this student makes a decision, either way, so that I can make my decision and get on with my life. I will most definitely take the offer at the waitlisted university if I receive it, but am also more than happy/content with the other offer I have in an area outside of psychology.

I just got accepted off the waitlist to one of my top choice schools. Yay!! :D

It does happen!!

Congratulations :) we all are hoping for the same. Mind if I ask where?

St Johns University
Clinical PhD - waitlisted via email from the DCT on 3/26/12.

wahhhhhhhhh :thumbdown:

this is our week!