2012 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
this is our week!

I hope so!

Do people tend to get off of waitlists more frequently after April 1st? (As in there is a rush of people getting off of waitlists)

Or does it stay about the same as it is now, in terms of frequency?

Anyone know what to expect?

(Just getting inpatient here! Lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone out there debating accepting/ declining UMass Boston? I'm on the wait list and haven't heard anything about movement there one way or the other :scared:

Anyone out there who is debating on accepting/declining offer from Virginia Consortium, please let me know!!

Out of curiosity, is anyone still holding an initial offer from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (clinical phd)?

Just saw on TGC that someone was offered acceptance off of UF's Clinical and Health Psychology waitlist. If you're here, would you please email me your POI? Thanks!

Xavier University - Clinical PsyD
notified 3/21 via USPS that I have been wait listed

18 more days! (April 15th is a Sunday, wonder how that is going to work.)

I am looking at the student admissions and outcomes data for the school that I'm waitlisted at and I am a bit confused about the # of admission offers.

Is this the number of ALL the offers including the offers that went out to waitlisted students (if they had any in that year) or is it just the number of initial offers? Just by looking at the numbers for the last 5 years, they had about 50%~60% of their offers accepted.

I know things are different every year and it should not mean much, but I'm curious :confused:

Last edited:
I am looking at the student admissions and outcomes data for the school that I'm waitlisted at and I am a bit confused about the # of admission offers.

Is this the number of ALL the offers including the offers that went out to waitlisted students (if they had any in that year) or is it just the number of initial offers? Just by looking at the numbers for the last 5 years, they had about 50%~60% of their offers accepted.

I know things are different every year and it should mean much, but I'm curious :confused:

I had a similar question to you too...I've been looking at the admissions and outcomes data for the school I'm waitlisted at also. Based on the data, it looks as if they have had nearly all students accept the initial offer every single year for the last 5 years except for one year when they made 12 offers and had 7 incoming students.

It almost looks like they have put the # of admission offers as the # of admission offers that were given out at any one particular time, rather than as the total # of admission offers granted to people initially plus those offers granted to people that were taken off the wait list...

Do some schools do that?

Last edited:
omg omg omg....just got accepted off the waitlist at the University of Florida!!

Neuropsych track, Clinical and Health Psychology PhD

Third time applying. Interviewed, waitlisted, and rejected in 2009. Waitlisted w/o interview last year. Interviewed, waitlisted, and accepted in 2012!!

Persistence is key and dreams do come true. If you have a goal, work as hard as you can to obtain it!!

omg omg omg....just got accepted off the waitlist at the University of Florida!!

Neuropsych track, Clinical and Health Psychology PhD

Third time applying. Interviewed, waitlisted, and rejected in 2009. Waitlisted w/o interview last year. Interviewed, waitlisted, and accepted in 2012!!

Persistence is key and dreams do come true. If you have a goal, work as hard as you can to obtain it!!

Congrats! So the "high alternate" waitlist at University of Florida is legit :p! How did they notify you? This must be so exciting for you being your third time and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! So the "high alternate" waitlist at University of Florida is legit :p! How did they notify you? This must be so exciting for you being your third time and all.

Lol, yes it is legit. My POI actually called me tonight around 8:45pm. I'll get official word from the university tomorrow or Thursday. I am beyond excited. Thank you for the well wishes!!

I just got a rejection off of the wait-list for clinical phd at Missouri-St.Louis. SO disappointed. Steffen said they are done with their selection process... for anyone else who might be waiting for UMSL... SO disappointed. :((

Just got accepted off the waitlist at University of Texas at Austin! (Counseling Psychology Ph.D.)

Also, I rejected an offer from Lehigh University, Counseling Psych PhD

Last edited:
every time I have a missed call from a number I don't recognize I get butterflies.

Telemarketers, why do you disappoint me so?

every time I have a missed call from a number I don't recognize I get butterflies.

Telemarketers, why do you disappoint me so?
Seriously, I have a survey taker that keeps calling me lately and it is driving me crazy :)

you might be losing your mind if..

you're considering offering to pay tuition to gain admittance.
I'm on the wait-list for my professor (who isn't able to take a student until another prof's student declines.)
It would only cost me 10k for the first year because I'm in-state. Is this a completely insane idea? Has anyone ever done this?

p.s. I'm only considering this because I don't think I will be quite as happy with my other options.

you might be losing your mind if..

you're considering offering to pay tuition to gain admittance.
I'm on the wait-list for my professor (who isn't able to take a student until another prof's student declines.)
It would only cost me 10k for the first year because I'm in-state. Is this a completely insane idea? Has anyone ever done this?
I think that this might come across as a little desperate. I would definitely NOT offer to pay tuition your first year. I do not think that would be incentive enough for them to make you an offer for admissions

I think that this might come across as a little desperate. I would definitely NOT offer to pay tuition your first year. I do not think that would be incentive enough for them to make you an offer for admissions

even if the April 15th deadline comes and she never got to make an offer to me? (even though I'm the only one she interviewed?)

It does seem desperate. I might be desperate...hah.

Did the prof offer this as a potential solution or did you come up with it on your own??

even if the April 15th deadline comes and she never got to make an offer to me? (even though I'm the only one she interviewed?)

It does seem desperate. I might be desperate...hah.

Did the prof offer this as a potential solution or did you come up with it on your own??

definitely came up with it on my own. but, if it comes to it, I'm hoping she offers it!
I'm wondering if this sort of thing has come up before.

definitely came up with it on my own. but, if it comes to it, I'm hoping she offers it!
I'm wondering if this sort of thing has come up before.

Not to bust your bubble, but I'm pretty sure this isn't about the ten grand. In my experience it is more about which faculty are due to receive students and managing the cohort size. It also wouldn't look good for the school if students could offer to pay their way in (not that you aren't this professor's top candidate).

For instance, a friend of mine had a professor who wanted to accept her to the neuropsychology program at an R1 university. Unfortunately the school accepts 16 students per year for the entire department, and this professor was not one of the professors that was in line to select a student that year. He wanted to take her, but the quota was filled. My friend then got a $15,000 scholarship to attend graduate school. The professor still couldn't take her on. It wasn't about the money, it was about the administrative aspects.

In the end she applied again this year, was accepted, and has a very high chance of being awarded the scholarship again.

Not to bust your bubble, but I'm pretty sure this isn't about the ten grand. In my experience it is more about which faculty are due to receive students and managing the cohort size. It also wouldn't look good for the school if students could offer to pay their way in (not that you aren't this professor's top candidate).

For instance, a friend of mine had a professor who wanted to accept her to the neuropsychology program at an R1 university. Unfortunately the school accepts 16 students per year for the entire department, and this professor was not one of the professors that was in line to select a student that year. He wanted to take her, but the quota was filled. My friend then got a $15,000 scholarship to attend graduate school. The professor still couldn't take her on. It wasn't about the money, it was about the administrative aspects.

In the end she applied again this year, was accepted, and has a very high chance of being awarded the scholarship again.

this my fear..
such bad luck I have =/

Hey all,

I'm just curious if anyone out there is trying to decide on either UMass Boston or Kent State? I'm on both wait lists and would love to go to either. Just sittin' here crossing my fingers! :)

rejected off of wait list at Syracuse clinical......

getting harder to keep my head up.

rejected off of wait list at Syracuse clinical......

getting harder to keep my head up.

That sucks :(...how many more are you waitlisted for?

Although I don't think offering to pay tuition will necessarily work (I tried this tactic last year when I received the 15k OGS scholarship), if you had any new research/clinical experiences since your interview, it might help move you up the waitlist or tip the scale for them in your favour. For example, I would definitely inform them if you submitted any new publications or posters.

I just got an e-mail that I was wait listed at PGSP-Stanford. I am bummed because it was definitely my top choice, and they said they probably won't notify me until April 14th or 15th. Is anyone else in the same boat? Or does anyone know my chances of getting off the wait list? The professor said it wasn't linear. If I don't get in I will decide between University of La Verne and the Wright Institute, so any feedback on these schools is appreciated. good luck everyone!

Is this your first year applying?

yes this is my first year. I know I shouldn't complain... but I've been preparing myself for this since I was a freshman. I've got two co-authored pubs in prep, and multiple posters/presentations. I had an undergraduate research fellowship. And work in two different labs. I honestly thought this would be enough. GPA = 3.9. Phi Beta Kappa. I've done internships, extensive leadership and volunteering.... It's everything I've worked for going down the drain. (dramatic I know. lol)

I only have one more real wait-list left with UWM (my #1). (DePaul wait-listed me but without an interview). The sucky part about this is that I am her first choice, but she can't take me because it isn't her turn or whatever. So frustrating.

Applying again next year shouldn't be a big deal... but it was 4k and hella stressful and still no guarantee, though I know it has to be worth it. I'm worried about finding a job after graduation and whether or not whatever job I find will be enough so that I can make payments on my student loans.

I don't know. I know I'm probably not thinking clearly.

That sucks :(...how many more are you waitlisted for?

Although I don't think offering to pay tuition will necessarily work (I tried this tactic last year when I received the 15k OGS scholarship), if you had any new research/clinical experiences since your interview, it might help move you up the waitlist or tip the scale for them in your favour. For example, I would definitely inform them if you submitted any new publications or posters.

technically 2, but 1 more in reality.

The wait-list that is left is the professor wait-list, so it isn't even about my qualifications. It's about some stupid faculty tree! lol

yes this is my first year. I know I shouldn't complain... but I've been preparing myself for this since I was a freshman. I've got two co-authored pubs in prep, and multiple posters/presentations. I had an undergraduate research fellowship. And work in two different labs. I honestly thought this would be enough. GPA = 3.9. Phi Beta Kappa. I've done internships, extensive leadership and volunteering.... It's everything I've worked for going down the drain. (dramatic I know. lol)

I only have one more real wait-list left with UWM (my #1). (DePaul wait-listed me but without an interview). The sucky part about this is that I am her first choice, but she can't take me because it isn't her turn or whatever. So frustrating.

Applying again next year shouldn't be a big deal... but it was 4k and hella stressful and still no guarantee, though I know it has to be worth it. I'm worried about finding a job after graduation and whether or not whatever job I find will be enough so that I can make payments on my student loans.

I don't know. I know I'm probably not thinking clearly.

How were your GRE's/personal statement/letters? These are pretty important in applying.

How were your GRE's/personal statement/letters? These are pretty important in applying.

GREs were just okay. 530V 710Q 4.5AW
I know for a fact that I was rejected at a few places because of this..

Letters were incredibly strong. (I built really strong relationships with my professors.. i.e., they are not sleeping at night along with me!)

Statement was good. Nothing too creative.

Is it the GRE?

GREs were just okay. 530V 710Q 4.5AW
I know for a fact that I was rejected at a few places because of this..

Letters were incredibly strong. (I built really strong relationships with my professors.. i.e., they are not sleeping at night along with me!)

Statement was good. Nothing too creative.

Is it the GRE?

You probably won't ever know for sure. In a few weeks you should email your POIs and ask about your application. I did this last year and receive some good feedback on why I wasn't selected.

Best of luck and as many people on here will confirm, many times it takes more than 1 application cycle to get in.

Gotta love the crickets chirping on the school's end of things...

More like crickets on behalf on the person who is still holding the offer!
No pressure though, I really want this person to get in to the place they are waiting on so I can take their place!!

More like crickets on behalf on the person who is still holding the offer!
No pressure though, I really want this person to get in to the place they are waiting on so I can take their place!!

Ditto ;)

Well, this is sure to be an awkward Easter. My family will undoubtedly ask about my graduate school plans and I will be like... uhhhhhh. Good times ahead! lol

Sigh - 11 more days till the 15th!
My POI informed me that they might be extending the acceptance deadline to May 1st, in case they need to hear back about fellowships and funding. I hope things will be finalized by the 15th though :(

I'm going nuts over here. I'd all but ruled out the place I'm wait listed at, as it's been completely quiet for a good long while and I didn't get the impression I was at the top of the list when I did talk to them. I had started to prepare myself to attend the school I have an offer from and had pretty much moved on mentally. Then on Monday, I got a call from my waitlist school advising me to hold off on taking the offer I have because I may get an offer from them next week. I'm excited and hopeful, but also scared to let myself seriously contemplate it. I didn't want this process to go to the last second!

7 more days.

Anyone have any updates on the clinical psych (health emphasis) phd program at Yeshiva University? This is really coming down to the last minute! :scared:

Anyone have any updates on the clinical psych (health emphasis) phd program at Yeshiva University? This is really coming down to the last minute! :scared:
Sorry, whoever has the spot I am waiting for at my first choice school is still holding it. Believe me I wish they would make their decision. I am first on the wait list so as soon as I know I will accept or release my spot at Yeshiva. Sorry this thing is just taking forever.

Sorry, whoever has the spot I am waiting for at my first choice school is still holding it. Believe me I wish they would make their decision. I am first on the wait list so as soon as I know I will accept or release my spot at Yeshiva. Sorry this thing is just taking forever.

I'm guessing many people are sharing your position! Wishing the "top top" applicants (aka those who have many offers at R1 schools) make their choices so the snowball can start!

I'm guessing many people are sharing your position! Wishing the "top top" applicants (aka those who have many offers at R1 schools) make their choices so the snowball can start!
Yeah I feel like this is taking longer than in years past. I am hoping that the deluge will begin tomorrow. At this point all of the waiting is getting ridiculous. At least it's almost over :)

I'm also waiting (!) for Yeshiva. Sadly, it is all I have this year.

Two weeks ago, I was informed that I am first on the waitlist at a program and that the other person hasn't claimed their spot. What happens if this person doesn't accept or decline by the 15th? Will the spot go to me? I'm not sure how this works. I'm also getting incredibly antsy at this point as I'm sure a lot of you are!!