2013-2014 Albert Einstein Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay prompt will go here. PM me when it's available. GL all!

Members don't see this ad.

I am really interested in the research opportunities that Albert Einstein offers. Are there any current students out there that could give us some insight?

Reactions: 1 user
AE is one of my top choices! Current students: Is it hard for first yrs to get studios in the on campus housing? Or do they mostly get roommates. Also, How's the neighborhood? Do you wish you were closer to the city?

Members don't see this ad :)
AE is one of my top choices! Current students: Is it hard for first yrs to get studios in the on campus housing? Or do they mostly get roommates. Also, How's the neighborhood? Do you wish you were closer to the city?

From when I interviewed there, I recall that all students were guaranteed housing in a studio (ca. $790). However, I interviewed MD/PhD so I don't know if this really applies to all medical students...

Will they show love to Texas residents??

Just received secondary invite, but the link doesn't work :confused:

Got the secondary invite just now, but their link to the secondary app doesn't work.

^ You can scroll through the pages provided you answer a few questions.

There are no major essays for this secondary. There's a lot of brief 100 word explanations that you have to provide if you answer "Yes":

I have taken time off between high school and college No Yes
I have taken time off during my undergraduate years No Yes
I have taken off at least a year since college graduation No Yes
I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school. No Yes
I have taken and received credit for online courses No Yes
I have worked part- or full-time, for pay, during the academic year while in college.
(Please indicate when you worked, e.g., freshman year, what months of the year you worked, and how many hours. Briefly describe the work you did.) No Yes
I have applied to medical school previously No Yes
I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously
(Please keep in mind that if you completed two prior applications, you are ineligible for reapplication.) No Yes
I am presently enrolled in the Sue Golding Graduate Division No Yes
I am presently enrolled as an undergraduate student at Yeshiva University No Yes
I had been accepted to medical school previously but chose not to matriculate No Yes
I had been enrolled previously in a medical school No Yes
I have not completed the pre-medical requirements No Yes
I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate in medical school No Yes
I am presently holding a deferred enrollment to a medical/professional school No Yes
I have received a grade of "F" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "W" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "I" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have transferred from one college to another during my undergraduate years No Yes
I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did not result in a disciplinary action No Yes
I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or an administrative action, expunged or not, while in school No Yes
I have disciplinary charges pending No Yes
I have been convicted of a crime No Yes
I expect that there will be criminal charges brought against me which are now pending No Yes
I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity due to or as a result of alleged misconduct No Yes

Hmm, I graduated last year and want to talk about my plans for the upcoming year. Do I talk about what I have been doing AND what I will be doing in the first question since I haven't "just graduated"? Or do I answer both?

(Please explain your activities in detail, and your reasons for taking time off, and include dates.)

I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school. No Yes
(Please explain what you plan to do this year and please provide confirmation of your plans when they are complete.)

I'll be applying here :) Looking forward to completing the secondary. Good luck all!:luck:

Hmm, I graduated last year and want to talk about my plans for the upcoming year. Do I talk about what I have been doing AND what I will be doing in the first question since I haven't "just graduated"? Or do I answer both?

(Please explain your activities in detail, and your reasons for taking time off, and include dates.)

(Please explain what you plan to do this year and please provide confirmation of your plans when they are complete.)

I graduated two years ago and used the second question to talk about the next year. I think I started with something like, "Though I did not graduate this year, I would like to take a moment to describe my plans for the next year."

If I was allowed more than 100 words, I would have addressed both in the first question if I could....

The other weird thing about the Einstein secondary is that I could not find a way to preview my application in its entirety before I submitted it.

Does anyone else have trouble saving their response to the question "are you the first in your family to attend college?" Whenever I completed this Q, clicked "save and continue," and clicked on step 5 again, the browser would indicate no response to this Q. This is quite frustrating as this question is a required field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else have trouble saving their response to the question "are you the first in your family to attend college?" Whenever I completed this Q, clicked "save and continue," and clicked on step 5 again, the browser would indicate no response to this Q. This is quite frustrating as this question is a required field.

This happens to me. In addition, my selection on step 6 for the Non-Post-Baccalaureate Student gets "forgotten."

same here :shrug:

They should make a central secondary system for all the schools - kinda like a Google form document in which you can change up the questions however you like. Would avoid all this pain of setting up individual secondaries or ones based on third-party sites that don't work... but of course that would be more work for the snail-paced AMCAS :p

any thoughts on the letter of recommendation requirements?

they state that you need two science letters from diff. departments and upto 3 additional letters. All of my science letters are from the same department

I have a question for you guys. I submitted my secondary a couple of days ago designating a premed committee letter and a stand-alone letter. The stand-alone hasn't been received by AMCAS yet and I'm not sure when it will be. Do you think they will wait to review my app? I want them to look at it without the letter if possible!

Edit: Just found my answer on their site… UGH! Anybody know how to cancel a rec letter after the secondary has been submitted?

Last edited:
one of the questions asked if we had applied to medical school before and if so, list the schools you applied to and what improvements you made...

I listed all of the schools and improvements, but after submitting my application, the format was drastically altered.

example...

Before submission

-school A
-school B
-school C

After submission

-school A -school B -school C

Any words of advice?

I'm still taking one class a quarter for three quarters to finish up my second degree while working full-time in my lab and helping out at my parent's restaurant. So, I still haven't officially graduated. However, I still want to tell Einstein what I doing during this year, and not make it seem like I'm just taking a class a quarter while doing nothing.

Should I still answer Yes to "I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school." or just straight up answer No since I'm not officially graduated?

Hey guys! Doc Einstein here! I just finished up my first year at AECOM and will be starting my second year next month! SDN was helpful when I was applying so I just wanted to show some love back. Plus, I love Einstein and would love to answer any questions that potential students might have. So ASK AWAY!

For the question above: it is absolutely NOT hard for students to get on-campus housing. However, it is quite difficult for MS1 to get studios, unless you are married. Married couples are automatically put into a studio. There is about a 1-2 year wait for studios if you are not married. Honestly, I feel like in your MS1 year, it is better to have roommates,whether that be with other MS1 or upperclassmen so that you can meet people. Einstein has a great community, which students don't really get at other places. I can usually invite friends over for lunch or dinner, or just grab a movie at night very easily.

The neighborhood is decent. When I first heard of the Bronx, I was a little wary, but it turned out fine. I have had late nights studying in the library and always felt safe walking back to the apartments. There is a pathmark for grocery, delis, and other sandwich shops. If you have a car, it you can go towards westchester and there are lots of shops there as well. Or, you can go to flushing, queens, or manhattan for food.

The only time that it really bothers people that we are not in the city is when we go out to bars in the city. It takes us about 45min to 1 hour to get there. But honestly, I think it is fine, because of our reallly really cheap rent ( I pay 412 per month) and we are always travelling with other people so it is fine. It becomes a quick train ride when you half drunk and talking with peeps.

Does anybody know if Albert Einstein accepts other reading/writing intensive classes (religion, philosophy, anthropology, etc) as okay for fulfilling the 1 year of English requirement?

I am really interested in the research opportunities that Albert Einstein offers. Are there any current students out there that could give us some insight?

Einstein provides a 2500 dollar stipend to any 1st year who is doing research or global health during the summer btn first and second. You have to apply but virtually everyone gets it.

Einstein also has a year off stipend of ~16,000? dollars which, in my year (c/o2014), was apparently competitive as some people did not get it. Einstein also offers a Clinical research training program which is a year off structured program typically between 3rd and 4th year where you receive a stipend as well as classes on how to conduct clinical research studies (prospectives/retros, etc) along with the classes in stats. You are matched with a research mentor as well. There's also a bioethics program on the year off.

In your 4th year, you can elect to replace 5-7 months of elective time for dedicated research time. There is a stipend associated with this as well (3500). Everyone is required to do a 'scholarly project' which, if you don't want to do research, can simply be a lit review of whatever you're interested in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I agree with everything Doc Einstein said. To elaborate on Doc's post, all first years get put in apartments with 1 or 2 suitemates by default. You get your own rooms, but share a kitchen and bathroom. You are given a waitlist request form in your acceptance packet where you can choose to be put on a waitlist for a studio, a 1 bedroom, or a penthouse (2 bedrooms over 2 floors).

Most students stay on campus housing because it's cheap and awesome. Some opt out and live nearby or in Manhattan with their SO's and so on.

We have an express bus, BxM10, that stops by our doorstep. This takes 45 minutes in non-rush hour traffic to get to mid-town. Otherwise, subway takes about an hour for midtown and 1.5 hours for chinatown.

So I have a question about how to handle a question on the Einstein application, about the question asking why you transferred. I transferred schools for an extremely personal reason, which I deliberately did NOT put on my AMCAS application because I did not want to have it become a discussion point in interviews. Now that it has for sure, I'm not sure whether I should BS a generally true (but not very specific) response, or if I need to be completely honest here. I'd rather not give more details about the situation, but it boils down to me not feeling safe at that school anymore in a way that was beginning to affect my academic work (though not dramatically enough that I absolutely had to explain in my primary).

Any advice? Has this come up for anyone else? Did it come up in anyone's interview? That's what I'm most worried about, since if I get grilled about specifics, I don't want to come across as shady.

I think you should confirm this with a premed advisor, but it sounds okay here to not talk about all of the specifics about why you transferred so a vague response may do you best. Some things are just too personal to share in a medical school application. But, practice answering questions about this in an interview style setting with a close friend or family member. Transferring is considered noteworthy so it is bound to come up in 90% of interviews.

Umm, Einstein just emailed me saying that I'm an international student, even though I'm a permanent resident. Did anyone else get this or know more about it?

Does anyone know if AE will review our application if all of our letters are not in yet? The website just says that I've submitted. I'm waiting on one letter.

Does anyone know if AE will review our application if all of our letters are not in yet? The website just says that I've submitted. I'm waiting on one letter.

I emailed them and asked this exact question and I was told that my file is in the "incomplete pile" because all of my letters are not in... Even though the letter was just an extra one! So I'm waiting on that one :/

I emailed them and asked this exact question and I was told that my file is in the "incomplete pile" because all of my letters are not in... Even though the letter was just an extra one! So I'm waiting on that one :/

You just described my exact situation :(

Got a complete email a few minutes ago! (Secondary submitted 7/9)

I submitted 7/11 but I still didn't get a complete email. I don't even know how to check the status of my application... help?

Submitted 7/3 and no complete email :(

I am a Canadian and do not have a US mailing address, yet the secondary application won't let me proceed until I fill one out. I emailed them about this, but has anyone else encountered this issue?

I am a Canadian and do not have a US mailing address, yet the secondary application won't let me proceed until I fill one out. I emailed them about this, but has anyone else encountered this issue?

Yeah, Im applying from Puerto Rico and the same thing happened. I just put my brother's address who lives in ATL. Let me know what they respond please.

I submitted 7/11 but I still didn't get a complete email. I don't even know how to check the status of my application... help?

I got a complete email this morning!

I'm a non-trad applicant..I was thinking of applying to Einstein but not sure..my MCAT is a 34 R from 2012 and I have B.S. Biomedical Engineering 3.69 GPA Graduated 2011..

But I don't have any real research experience though..do you guys think its worth it?

Thanks!

Yeah, Im applying from Puerto Rico and the same thing happened. I just put my brother's address who lives in ATL. Let me know what they respond please.

Hello,

she said if you do not have a US mailing address, you can enter XXXX's and the admissions team will overlook it

When you guys talk about the complete email, are you referring to the one that says,

"You have successfully completed the Secondary Application.
Thank you for your interest in Albert Einstein College of Medicine."

Or is there another one that confirms that your entire application is complete?

When you guys talk about the complete email, are you referring to the one that says,

"You have successfully completed the Secondary Application.
Thank you for your interest in Albert Einstein College of Medicine."

Or is there another one that confirms that your entire application is complete?

The e-mail confirming that your entire application is complete.

any thoughts on the letter of recommendation requirements?

they state that you need two science letters from diff. departments and upto 3 additional letters. All of my science letters are from the same department

I called them and they are pretty adamant about the letter requirement. It's a no go for me I guess.

Complete on a Saturday! Man, they are working hard over there : )

Complete on a Saturday! Man, they are working hard over there : )

I was actually just about to post about how much I hate weekends now because I know I won't get any emails from med schools haha.